• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

If Disney keeps availability low in order to keep standby lines to a reasonable length, then it's entirely possible that the number of G+ slots will be less than FP+. Do we know this for a fact? No. But on a good day, without the initial 3 FP+ that were prescheduled, how many FP+s did people acquire? And how many fewer passes will be available given the abbreviated park hours that Disney now offers compared to 2018 or 2019?
Our average was around 10-12 FPs in a day, sometimes higher at MK, sometimes a little lower at Epcot. I believe our record as a family was 15, and as a solo was 19. And that wasn't just lower tier rides, we never really had much trouble getting headliners after the initial 3.
While this may or may not be expected, I don't think its unreasonable to get at least 5, which if you add on the two IAS rides, would be fine by me. If its closer to 3 due to less availability, I'd likely still be ok, because that would likely make the standby lines shorter/faster.
We often times got FPs just because they were available, even though at times they may not have been needed, which is why I'd be ok with having a few less. Not a huge deal breaker for me.
If that was a rhetorical question, ignore me haha

Last edited:
There's one possible misconception going around about this -- that the virtual queue is the same as a FP in terms of scarcity. I don't think it is because you can only have one at a time. You can't decide your whole day upon arrival (or openign the window); you can only decide your "next" ride. So I don't think you'll have the giant rush of people trying to get any particular thing early, because it wipes out your other possibilities -- if everyone tries to get Mine Train and that VQ gets up to a few hours, then all of those people are locked out of lines for everything else, and remain so until their queue opens up. So while I think it's going to take a lot of adjustment, I don't know that it will be the same kind of rush/disappointment of the early morning FP grabs.

WDW used to be about planning. Now, I think it's about waiting. I think this makes days a lot more flexible and manageable -- and makes it more inviting (?) to hop -- if MK lines are too lonmg to tolerate, there's no investment to stay. Maybe you give Epcot a chance. I think this gives WDW a much more laid-back feel (also keeps people off thir phones as much). But the downside is you don't know before you get into the day what kind of day it will be.

There's one possible misconception going around about this -- that the virtual queue is the same as a FP in terms of scarcity. I don't think it is because you can only have one at a time. You can't decide your whole day upon arrival (or openign the window); you can only decide your "next" ride. So I don't think you'll have the giant rush of people trying to get any particular thing early, because it wipes out your other possibilities -- if everyone tries to get Mine Train and that VQ gets up to a few hours, then all of those people are locked out of lines for everything else, and remain so until their queue opens up. So while I think it's going to take a lot of adjustment, I don't know that it will be the same kind of rush/disappointment of the early morning FP grabs.

WDW used to be about planning. Now, I think it's about waiting. I think this makes days a lot more flexible and manageable -- and makes it more inviting (?) to hop -- if MK lines are too lonmg to tolerate, there's no investment to stay. Maybe you give Epcot a chance. I think this gives WDW a much more laid-back feel (also keeps people off thir phones as much). But the downside is you don't know before you get into the day what kind of day it will be.
I disagree. I think this new system makes it even more advantageous to go at rope drop to get your first 1 done so you can get another one. People will be on their phones more now just to book rides.

I do agree it makes Disney days more laidback. It actually is making me want to go back.

Can I object to the term 'super rich' in the article. The super rich will get a VIP tour. The super rich are only a handful of people, who don't influence your wait time the tiniest bit.

Let's go by a family of 5, who spend 7 days there and the IAS rides are $20 a piece. You can reserve 2 per day and they will pay the $15 for Genie +. That is $55 per person per day. That is $1.925 for the entire trip.
There are a lot more families than the super rich for who this amount is not something they don't have. If they are WILLING to spend that and see the value or not, that's another question.

Libby has a lot more to be afraid of than the super rich ;-)

We used to average about 10-12, often spread across 2 parks and with a pool break. We scheduled the next pass whilst in the line for the first, sometimes even for the same ride (Star Tours). We are thinking about our options at the moment. As Brits, we would normally stay for 3+ weeks, so the Genie+ is a huge extra expense, especially when you take into account the E ticket ride add ons. Over on the UK boards, the consensus seems to be to swap to Universal and stay at one of the deluxe resorts. However, we own DVC so it's not quite as easy a decision. getting up at 7 to make ride reservations just for a weekend might not be so bad but over longer stay, not so great.

If people make choices in their budgets the $15 isn’t much. Don’t get your extra large fancy ice coffees or cut back on a snack and there is your $15!
$15 = 1 hour of work after taxes for a lot of people. For some people it is 2 hours of work.

$15 x 4 (for a family of 4) x 5 (Park days) = $300, or roughly 4 meals out at home or perhaps two months of cell phone payments

When you start thinking in terms of what it takes to earn that money and what it can get you in the real world, it's no longer "only" $15.

$15 = 1 hour of work after taxes for a lot of people. For some people it is 2 hours of work.

$15 x 4 (for a family of 4) x 5 (Park days) = $300, or roughly 4 meals out at home or perhaps two months of cell phone payments

When you start thinking in terms of what it takes to earn that money and what it can get you in the real world, it's no longer "only" $15.
Odds are those people aren't going to Disney much.

Can I object to the term 'super rich' in the article. The super rich will get a VIP tour. The super rich are only a handful of people, who don't influence your wait time the tiniest bit.

I get a little tired of hearing how paying $15 puts you in the super rich category. Whether you think someone is "rich" probably depends on how much you earn, but doesn't really have a lot of basis in reality. If you can swing $200-$300 for your family to eat a character meal, does that make you super rich? Because I think that price is insane and won't pay. People stay on the phone for hours to be the first to book hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tickets for an after hours party, so super rich?? I wouldn't even consider it. Yet I'm perfectly willing to shuck out $15 if it's the only way to avoid lines. I'll also buy the top rides if I need to and I'll pay to stay deluxe or dvc to get the EMH's. I just don't spend money on other things that cost a lot that aren't as important to me.

People going to WDW make a lot of choices where to put their money. If money is so tight that $60 a day for a family of 4 is more than you can handle, try skipping an expensive meal. Skip 2 of them and you most like save money on a 5 day trip even buying Genie+. I understand not liking it, but the argument that it's pricing anyone out who is currently going just doesn't wash for me. Unless you're staying at the cheapest off site hotel you can find and bringing in sack lunches, not buying souvenirs and not doing any paid options- you can adjust your budget.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that anyone with a family whose household income consists of a $7.50 an hour job isn't going to WDW. They're probably lucky if they're putting food on the table let alone worrying about how to swing at trip to WDW.

To be fair a lot of people buying these things arent paying cash. Id bet 50% or more are taking on long term debt by going to Disney. Id actually be curious to know that %.

You probably shouldn't be going to Disney if your budget is that tight, and getting G+/LL will make or break your trip. I don't think people in that situation are the intended audience for this service.

To be fair a lot of people buying these things arent paying cash. Id bet 50% or more are taking on long term debt by going to Disney. Id actually be curious to know that %.
I can believe this. I have talked to someone who was still paying off a WDW vacation that was two years ago. She was looking forward to going next year.

You probably shouldn't be going to Disney if your budget is that tight, and getting G+/LL will make or break your trip. I don't think people in that situation are the intended audience for this service.
I understand your general point but I really hate stuff like this. Like, there are folks who struggle mightily who also deserve fun things.

My problem with it isn't really the additional cost. Its the additional cost, plus the raising of prices and taking away of services and amenities.

Call me crazy and maybe I am the only one here.... but I want the old Disney... Not the nickel and diming, not having to be on my phone all day in the parks. I want to chose parks, rides and food as I go, not months out at home.

I am on vacation, I don't want to be on my phone. I want to look around, enjoy the parks, make memories and not have my face buried in my phone planning my next "move". I want to walk up to a restaurant and just wait for a table. If its too long, I will go some where else... If an attraction line is too long, again, I can wait or chose another ride.

I know. Phones and Apps are never going away....I don't want to spend my vacation on the phone. That's why I am on a vacation.

Call me crazy and maybe I am the only one here.... but I want the old Disney... Not the nickel and diming, not having to be on my phone all day in the parks. I want to chose parks, rides and food as I go, not months out at home.

I am on vacation, I don't want to be on my phone. I want to look around, enjoy the parks, make memories and not have my face buried in my phone planning my next "move". I want to walk up to a restaurant and just wait for a table. If its too long, I will go some where else... If an attraction line is too long, again, I can wait or chose another ride.

I know. Phones and Apps are never going away....I don't want to spend my vacation on the phone. That's why I am on a vacation.
Agree. Give me a lump sum to pay and leave my phone at home.

Last edited:

Agree. My new pet peeve this week is the statement that it's "just $15". I have no issue with what the charge is and budgeting but I don't think it's realistic to say it just costs $15.

How many people will actually visit Disney for just one day, this entire year, alone, not purchasing $$LL?

Actually maybe we should have a thread for what this will actually cost people if you used it on your last trip, riding the exact same rides. You may be happy or sad about this but either way it's still better to be upfront about what it costs.

For me = 4x$15x10= $600. That's significant. Riding the same rides I did at the same time, I predict I would have to add on another 6 rides to upcharge. Even if the upcharge is "just" $10, its =4*10*6 =$240.

So genie will "just" cost me an extra $840, unless I change my trip (which I am, by subtracting days and cutting down on meals/DDP). The alternative is to not use it, but without any free FP+, that would significantly change my vacation as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter