• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

Most of us here are WDW Superfans. I have DVC and an AP, but I never want to spend 10 days in a row in the parks. I love them like I love puppies but I don’t want to own a puppy any time soon either. I think most people will be in the parks for at most 5 days. Any imagined calculations that extrapolate $15 + LL$ beyond 5 days are just unrealistic for most people, even the “super rich.” We need pool days.

I'm not in love with the new system and don't think we'll use it for every park, but I am hopeful that it might not be quite as stressful as the rush for fastpasses at 60 days. The trip we've planned and replanned for the past year and a half was our first FP+ trip, and only 4-5 days long. So, eons ago, when our Fastpass morning came up, times were already gone for most of the big rides, and very picked over for most rides. Now alllllllll of those slots will be available, and the one at a time stipulation should mean that they'll last for a while.

I am a bit worried that rope drop will be an absolute madhouse for headliners and the end of day strategy might not be as effective as before. But there might be enough people willing to pay extra for the headliners rather than take part in the crush to help out with mornings?
Any headliner rides that are not part of the LL will have huge lines at rope drop and thru out the day from people not wanting to pay $15.00 or more for just one ride. The only positive is that I can see the standby line moving faster since most guests won't pay the premium for just one ride.

Any headliner rides that are not part of the LL will have huge lines at rope drop and thru out the day from people not wanting to pay $15.00 or more for just one ride. The only positive is that I can see the standby line moving faster since most guests won't pay the premium for just one ride.
Yes, this is my worry. At rope drop or at end of park hours, folks flocking to those headliners. I doubt very much if I'll pay an extra $ amount per headliner. And...we don't even know how much it is going to cost to do that. I may like the Genie for posted wait times, if it's accurate. We all know that wait times are not exact and can be off by quite a bit. So anxious to hear reviews once it gets implemented, so i can do my planning for December.

I understand your general point but I really hate stuff like this. Like, there are folks who struggle mightily who also deserve fun things.

That has always been true and always will be. That's not a product of Genie+. I think that when somone is priced out themselves, then they decide that Disney is unaffordable for most average familes. As long as they can pay for it and they're willing to accept the costs it’s fine. It’s just when it hits them that they decide it's overpriced and unfair.

Last edited:
Most of us here are WDW Superfans. I have DVC and an AP, but I never want to spend 10 days in a row in the parks. I love them like I love puppies but I don’t want to own a puppy any time soon either. I think most people will be in the parks for at most 5 days. Any imagined calculations that extrapolate $15 + LL$ beyond 5 days are just unrealistic for most people, even the “super rich.” We need pool days.
The amount paid is different for everyone. The calculation I looked at (10 days) is what it would cost me extra if I wanted to have a similar vacation to 2019. We go once a year, and get a 10 day ticket for mornings/evenings. Our afternoons are pool time and we still have a couple rest days. If I could get the 14 day ticket offered to the U.K. I would; I travel a similar distance. Definitely not super rich (or even close), just like a longer, relaxed vacation.

My problem with it isn't really the additional cost. Its the additional cost, plus the raising of prices and taking away of services and amenities.

Call me crazy and maybe I am the only one here.... but I want the old Disney... Not the nickel and diming, not having to be on my phone all day in the parks. I want to chose parks, rides and food as I go, not months out at home.

I am on vacation, I don't want to be on my phone. I want to look around, enjoy the parks, make memories and not have my face buried in my phone planning my next "move". I want to walk up to a restaurant and just wait for a table. If its too long, I will go some where else... If an attraction line is too long, again, I can wait or chose another ride.

I know. Phones and Apps are never going away....I don't want to spend my vacation on the phone. That's why I am on a vacation.

yes. It’s like how the meal plan actually costs more, but allows you to indulge and be stress free. Nots not that I can’t afford a $25 cocktail, its that I would kind of feel ridiculous ordering it. Similarly, I would rather pay more and have my three guaranteed fast passes with the ability to make more than have to scramble the morning of or ask myself if I really want to pay $80 to ride space
Mountain. I’m not going to go broke, but I feel like a sucker.

Agree. My new pet peeve this week is the statement that it's "just $15". I have no issue with what the charge is and budgeting but I don't think it's realistic to say it just costs $15.

Hard agree. We are a family of four. It's actually "just" $60. A touch more than a fancy coffee. If we get our typical five park days it's "just" about two weeks of groceries or more than my monthly car payment. We are lucky that we can afford extras but this isn't chump change.

Frankly, even if we can afford it, doesn’t mean we will. There’s a lot of things that I don’t find a good value in and won’t pay extra for. I’d rather pay for an all inclusive than get nickel and dimed. We are a family of 6, that’s another $90 a day, which is almost another full 1 day ticket a day.

A reminder of OP's thread title and focus. There are plenty of threads to discuss why you don't like Genie+ / paid LL.
"The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!"

I didn’t have a chance to read through all the pages of this thread but I think I may be in the minority when I say I actually like the thought of being able to pay a little more for essentially a guaranteed ride on Rise of the Resistance when we visit in November.

My son is a huge Star Wars fan and the thought of NOT getting a boarding group on our DHS day makes me very nervous. The whole trip certainly wouldn’t be ruined if we didn’t get on it, but I for one would be bummed.

Now, granted, I understand my situation is drastically different from others, because:

- This is essentially a once in a lifetime trip for us (it’s a surprise trip, just the two of us, for his 13th birthday)
- There’s only two of us, so it’s only cost X 2 and not cost X 6
- Our last trip was in 2012, when he was 4, so he doesn’t remember any of it.

I completely understand peoples gripes with Genie, Genie +, and the added LL costs for AAA headliners, but for my plans this fall, it fits well.

I didn’t have a chance to read through all the pages of this thread but I think I may be in the minority when I say I actually like the thought of being able to pay a little more for essentially a guaranteed ride on Rise of the Resistance when we visit in November.

My son is a huge Star Wars fan and the thought of NOT getting a boarding group on our DHS day makes me very nervous. The whole trip certainly wouldn’t be ruined if we didn’t get on it, but I for one would be bummed.

Now, granted, I understand my situation is drastically different from others, because:

- This is essentially a once in a lifetime trip for us (it’s a surprise trip, just the two of us, for his 13th birthday)
- There’s only two of us, so it’s only cost X 2 and not cost X 6
- Our last trip was in 2012, when he was 4, so he doesn’t remember any of it.

I completely understand peoples gripes with Genie, Genie +, and the added LL costs for AAA headliners, but for my plans this fall, it fits well.
Here here. You have the option if you choose. VIP tours are the only other way to guarantee RotR.

I cannot see myself purchasing LL but maybe if you have a frustrating trip and just want to do Flight of Passage or Rise hassle free you will pay for the experience.

In terms of Genie+, It is hard to know if this is worth it just yet. MK and HS I am thinking yes, while I am just not sure it is necessary for Epcot and AK.

The one thing I do like is the ability to request DAS by video chat in advance, so that you don’t have to go wait in line at Guest Services the morning of your first park day. I think that’s something both the guests and CMs involved in the process will find easier and less stressful.

“Sure it sucks it costs more money. But what doesn’t? Everything is going up in costs. It’s just what it is. Complaining about vacations costing money is like complaining water is wet.”

Nobody here is complaining about vacations costing money. There hasn’t been a single comment from anyone demanding a free vacation. People are aware that currency is exchanged for goods and services, so I don’t think it really adds anything to the conversation to pretend they’re not.

This isn’t a case of something simply “going up in costs,” like a loaf of bread going for four dollars instead of three after a poor wheat harvest. This is a decision to charge for a previously free product, simply because the seller wants more and believes they can get it. “Sure, the soup is the same price, but we’re now charging a $10 bowl rental fee.” Yes, water is wet, but it has always been wet.

Yes, the previously free product was part of a recreational experience and not an essential tool for survival. But hey, it’s better for everybody if only well-off people have anything nice that brings fun and enjoyment into their lives, right? What’s next, bread AND roses?

Did anyone watch the promo video? I don’t know I think it looks pretty great.
Yeah, for us it looks like we will use it some days, won't others. Same as buying LL. Thinking since we are going to get a half hour early at every park, ride the biggest draw right off the bat. Maybe purchase a LL pass if we need to, if not we won't. Simply put it is an option for us. One we will or won't use. Only park I really see being a problem for us now is Studios. And let me just say, that wouldn't have been a problem a few short years ago. Thanks Disney for adding TSL and GE to make it that way.

Not going to lie...I am really excited about this news. BUT I am coming for the first time in 12 years during Christmas time (can't come any other time), with my husband who has never been and a first visit for our newborn twins. I've saved money for a long time and I was looking at historic wait times on that busy week, 60 minutes for even basic rides. I was worried we would have a terrible experience and not be able to ride some of my favorites from when I was a kid, or the new big ticket rides like RoTR or FOP. I'm okay paying money since this is our big splurge, and I think that is what disney is aiming for. The "big splurge" guests who visit once or twice a year, or maybe even more. My pocket book is open so this can be the best it can be lol.

And it's nice to not have to book 60 days in advance, although I like planning wasn't that annoying for people who didn't plan that far in advance or for AP? I feel for those who go more often and get how it would be annoying. I'm just looking forward to this trip and want to do as much as possible. I'll gladly pay money to skip the lines if we can have a great trip and feel like we accomplished a lot. I remember paper fast passes as a kid and running like crazy all over the park to get our 3, I liked it that way.
The problem is, you still have to plan in advance (and more than 60 days) because you need to make park pass reservations and also dining reservations so that blows up your logic

I think the biggest advantage of this system will be its simplicity. People have been complaining for years about the need to plan and book FPS 60 days out. now they don't have to. You go to the park, get in a virtual line, go wait in another one and that's all there is to it. No arranging of schedules or any of that. You go one from one ride to the next, and if there's a headliner you really gotta ride faster, you pay for it. I don't know how much simpler anything can get than what they've created.

I don't know if it's better, but it's certainly easier.
Except you have to wake up at 7am every day and constantly be on your phone all day

I disagree. I think this new system makes it even more advantageous to go at rope drop to get your first 1 done so you can get another one. People will be on their phones more now just to book rides.

I do agree it makes Disney days more laidback. It actually is making me want to go back.
Except it hasnt, its been exact opposite.....waking up every day before 7am and being on your phone all day isnt laidback at all

it also penalizes non rope droppers a ton

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter