The Running Thread - 2018

My favorite is the cherry limeade... I haven't branched out much from that. :) I think the only others I have tried were watermelon (meh) and tropical fruit (ok).
My latest during run mix is half cherry limeade and half strawberry lemonade. I find the nuun energy is too much caffeine after my morning coffee, so I go half and half!

My latest during run mix is half cherry limeade and half strawberry lemonade. I find the nuun energy is too much caffeine after my morning coffee, so I go half and half!
I usually consume at least 40oz or so of coffee a day, 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening, and maybe sometmies some afternoon coffee, so I'm pretty sure that the nuun isn't going to push me over the edge. :o

Actually though, I started drinking the cherry limeade for the caffeine because I was starting to get caffeine headaches on the mornings of my long runs because my morning coffee got pushed so far out. I don't like drinking coffee before I run, it gives me yuck mouth.

I usually consume at least 40oz or so of coffee a day, 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening, and maybe sometmies some afternoon coffee, so I'm pretty sure that the nuun isn't going to push me over the edge. :o

Actually though, I started drinking the cherry limeade for the caffeine because I was starting to get caffeine headaches on the mornings of my long runs because my morning coffee got pushed so far out. I don't like drinking coffee before I run, it gives me yuck mouth.
Caffeine headaches are the worst! I also have some Run Gum samples that seem to help give me a good pre-race boost without making me jittery.

ATTQOTD: I don't have cable TV anymore so don't get to watch any live marathon broadcasts. But like @Sailormoon2, I love watching running videos like The Ginger Runner and Billy Yang. The Breaking2 project on Youtube was fascinating as well!

Definitely use it for the treadmill! That way you can get comfortable with starting/stopping and if you want to practice any kind of alerts, you can get a feel for what those are like in a controlled environment!

I have a Vivoactive 3 and I wear it 24/7 unless it's on the charger. I would definitely wear it for a few days to get a full realm of data for comparison.

How do you like the Vivoactive 3? I am looking at replacing my Apple Watch with it.

How do you like the Vivoactive 3? I am looking at replacing my Apple Watch with it.

Love it!! I had a Vivoactive 1 and was a big fan - I love that the Vivo 3 has a round face, the optical HR monitor and is SUPER light and thin. I don't feel like I'm wearing it, even when I'm sleeping.

The only crap thing about the Vivo series is if you need it for open-water swimming ... you can put it in your swim cap and hope for the best, but I haven't had the best results with it because the GPS tracking doesn't deal as well as with lap swimming in a pool. But it works great with my bike computer, my sensors, etc. And there are a LOT of band options - I have a leather band and a metal link band I can swap the rubber band out with in seconds to make it look nicer for wearing all the time.

The battery life is GREAT too! I took for-ev-er during Marathon this year and still had about 40% battery life left.

I just got a Fenix 5s too, but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

QOTD: Yesterday morning I was watching a little TV and saw that the LA Marathon was being aired. I got to watch the last 20-30 minutes of the men and women leaders. BTW the women's race was a good one! So, my question is, do you watch a marathon if it's on TV?

ATTQOTD: It's not very often that a marathon is televised, but if one is I usually watch some if not all of it. Coming up soon is the Boston Marathon which I normally watch when I get home from work that day. I do have to activate a channel to do so, but its worth it. This year we will be at WDW during the event, so I will just keep up with it on social media.

Being from MA is usually watch parts of Boston. I can't sit through the whole thing. I would love to go see it in person though.

ATTQOTD: I watch Boston every year and the Olympic marathon every 4. That's it.

I'm ready for some spring here in the northeast! The wind and COLD has been crazy up here the last few days! Temps are in the teens or low 20's again with wind chills down near 10F in the mornings. :( This is like mid-January! I'm starting week 5 of my May HM plan today and I'm ready to run in some nicer weather. :)

I'm pretty excited to see today that we finally have a real opening date for our OTF location... they told me last YEAR when I signed up (a little after Thanksgiving) that it would be February, now finally April 6 with a soft open on March 30. I'm excited to start getting some interval and strength training added to my running routine!

Yep, it's getting old. We are possibly getting another 8-12" tomorrow. Can it be April please.

Hey gang, I have been dealing with calf cramps during the second half of my long runs(and races).

I know that hydration is key, and I need to do a better job of that, but someone also suggested Nuun tablets. I found some the other day and was going to try them out over the next few weeks.

For those of you who use them, how do you use them? Morning of? Day before? Quantity?

Thanks for the help. When it comes to Nuun, I know none.*

*see what I did there

I'm no expert. I have used it twice and I broke the cardinal rule, I took it for the first time during the 2016 WDW full. It was humid that day and I was dying, my friend had some so I figured what the heck. It seemed to help so I had some for this year's race too. So for me, I would say use it during you runs in your water bottle.

In hindsight, this is stupid, but the first time I ran a workout with targets set on the FR235, I did not realize it was going to yell at me for the whole run.

You're going too fast...you're going too slow...your posture is bad...wipe your nose...you finally managed to do things right for a second...you're going too fast...
Yeah It made me realize how inconsistent I was.

I imagined you saying all those things in Jim Gaffigan's voice and finishing them off with "you should get a vasectomy"

@LSUlakes you can add me for November for...
02 - rteetz - Disney Wine & Dine 5K (TBD / N/A)
03 - rteetz - Disney Wine & Dine 10K (TBD / N/A)
04 - rteetz - Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon (TBD / N/A)

@LSU that reminds me.

Can you add November
04 IamTrike & Son- Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

She's a real nag, the old Garmin.

My favorite is that it still tells me to MOVE after a long run ... especially like on Marathon day after I've been sedentary for like 20 minutes after 26 miles.
Ughh that is the worst. Sure you have 38K steps today but you need to MOVE....

I have to drink at least a small cup of coffee 30 minutes before long runs. I find it helps ensure that if I am going to have GI issues that I have them before the run not during the run.

Hey gang, I have been dealing with calf cramps during the second half of my long runs(and races).

I know that hydration is key, and I need to do a better job of that, but someone also suggested Nuun tablets. I found some the other day and was going to try them out over the next few weeks.

For those of you who use them, how do you use them? Morning of? Day before? Quantity?

Thanks for the help. When it comes to Nuun, I know none.*

*see what I did there
It depends... in summer (I'm in FL, so I'm talking high humidity and temps 90+), I drink some Nuun almost every day and for the entirety of every run: my body sweats so much trying not to overheat, I lose a ton of electrolytes. Other times of the year, I really don't need it outside of long runs. In extreme heat, I use 1 Nuun tab to 12oz of water - that's in addition to using gels and/or Tailwind as fuel. The rest of the time, 1/2 a Nuun tab to 12oz works fine. I'd start by following the directions and see how that works - you can increase or decrease as needed to get it right for your needs.

Beet-It Sport (not powder based) is the most commonly scientifically researched Beet supplement. Not necessarily because it is the best, but because it has a controlled dosage of Nitrates (which is the key component to the enhancements you are likely seeking). The company also makes a placebo controlled Beet product without Nitrates which aides in scientific research. Since Nitrates are the key component of Beet root, you'll want to make sure to find something with a controlled dosage. You have to ask yourself your personal reason for taking a Beet supplement. Is it for the potential cardiovascular/blood pressure improvements, or are you looking for performance benefits in endurance racing? That will dictate the necessary dosage level, timing of consumption, and dosing regimen.

Additional Background Info from when I gave Beet Juice a try:

The other change is I'm going to give the Beet Shot Pro (Concentrated Beet Juice) a try. I was having a conversation with another DIS user about the effects of Beet Juice on endurance performance and whether the scientific research supported the idea. This is what I surmised from the research:

Conclusions

-Acute supplementation (one time) with beetroot juice may have an ergogenic effect on reducing VO2 at less than or equal to VO2max intensity, while improving the relationship between watts required and VO2 level, mechanisms that make it possible to enable increase time-to-exhaustion at less than or equal to VO2max intensity.

-In addition to improving efficiency and performance in various time trials or increasing time-to-exhaustion at submaximal intensities, chronic supplementation with beetroot juice may improve cardiorespiratory performance at the anaerobic threshold and VO2max intensities.

-Apparently, the effects of supplementation with beetroot juice might not have a positive interaction with caffeine supplementation, mitigating the effects of beetroot juice intake on cardiorespiratory performance, however, more work is needed to confirm the results of these investigations because the number of studies analyzing the effects of the combination of beetroot juice with other supplements, such as caffeine, is limited.

-Intake of beetroot juice should be initiated within 90 min before athletic effort, since the peak value of NO3 occurs within 2–3 h after ingestion. At least 6–8 mmol (400mg) of NO3 intake is required, which can be increased in athletes with a high level of training.

-Can't use mouthwash because it destroys the necessary type of bacteria in the mouth. The reason the Beet Juice works is because it increases the amount of NO3 and that occurs because of the breakdown of the Beet Juice by the bacteria as it is being swallowed. I also read that you shouldn't chew gum either.

What's interesting to me is the research is based on two time frames: Acute (one time) and Chronic (6 days). The 6 day data seems to suggest additional benefits above and beyond the acute dosing. It does appear the benefits are about 1-2% in racing times.

For a 24 min 5k, that's 23:31-23:46 just by taking beet root supplementation. A 1:50 HM, would be a 1:47-1:48 by supplement. A 3:04 M, would be a 3:00:19-3:02:10 by supplement. So while, 1-2% seems small it might be just enough extra push to reach a goal (say a 3:04 marathoner's goal of a 2:59 marathon perhaps...)

The source that was tested continuously was from http://beet-it.us/where-to-buy/

Effects of Beetroot Juice Supplementation on Cardiorespiratory Endurance in Athletes. A Systematic Review. Raul Dominguez

This is pharmacodynamic and dose response data based on a single dose.

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-09-25-am-png.241812

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-09-35-am-png.241811

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-11-47-am-png.241813

Beetroot juice and exercise: pharmacodynamic and dose-response relationships. Lee J Wylie.

So this data shows that the timing of the dose matters as far as nitric oxide concentration goes (only this specifically as other gains like blood pressure and mitochondrial changes very well can be a cumulative effect). It shows that the peak of the beet root juice and cardiovascular/VO2max improvements occurs around 2.5-4 hours. If you take it as a night time dose and run in the morning (~12 hrs later), then there will be a small gain over water, but not much. The 24 hr timepoint shows that unless the dose is really high the effects of nitric oxide wear off after 24 hrs. That's where my dose lives is in the higher range. Which means after 24 hrs a small residual is left over. As each successive day passes, there will be more and more residual remaining. Now this is a presumption based off a single does. To confirm we would need a baseline value from a single dose (like above) and then a second pharmacodynamic curve after 6 doses (not done by this paper). That should show the "0" as higher than the baseline "0". In the end, my belief is that there is a certain threshold based on an individual's characteristics that must be passed in order to elicit the benefits. The unknown is where is each person's threshold. But since no negative effects were seen at the higher dosage for 6 days, then I might as well go for that under the assumption my necessary threshold will be below that level. The accumulation will help increase the overall dose load over time.

Well the initial caffeine and beetroot juice research seems to imply they don't have an additive effect. One or the other is sufficient in receiving similar benefits.

Another paper seemed to suggest that the time trial benefits is reduced for people with a higher VO2max. Other research contends a higher dose is necessary for those with a higher VO2max.

The really difficult part about the research out there is that everyone seems to be using various dose levels, or various timing on dosing. Based on the pharmacodynamics, it would appear that timing of the dose is critical as well as the amount taken to maximize the effects.
Thank you for posting this! I also heard it's best to do 3-4 weeks on and 3-4 weeks off when it comes to beet root. I'm going to experiment in the weeks leading up to the Star Wars Half Marathon and hopefully I will see some good results. Everyone from nonprofessional runners to elite marathoners swear by it, so I'm guessing it truly works.

QOTD: I'll always watch the Boston Marathon and the NYC Marathon. NYC moreso for the sights, but this past year I was actually on my feet in my living room when Shalane Flanagan was on the final stretch. Loved it.

Quick question for the Garmin users here: I finally got a Garmin 235 (yay!) and I want to get started with it, BUT tomorrow’s run is going to be on the treadmill. Should I hold off on using it until I can get an outdoor run it so that it has a little more data on me, or ok to jump right in with an indoor run?

I’d welcome any other setup tips/tricks, this is my very first Garmin!

I would hold off on using it on the TM until you have a few outdoor runs under your belt with it. It is going to give you some crazy data and your pace will most likely not line up well with what the TM is saying. I would also recommend not doing speed work with it outside and the a TM run the next day because if your pace on the TM is much slower it will show you running a faster pace. I have found whatever your most recent pace was outdoors is where it tends to put you at on the TM and changing speed by +/- .02 mph on the TM are not picked up well by the watch. These are just my observations.

Congrats! I've had mine about 9 months and love it.

Have you ever scratched the face of a watch? If the answer is 'yes', you might want to add a glass face protector. If the answer is 'no', don't bother. I put a protector on and it saved my watch from a permanent scratch.

A technical tip (I think @camaker told me this. Sorry if I mis-remember that.) is to change the setting to record every second for more accurate (but larger) data.

Menu > Settings > System > Data Recording > Every Second

While this is true, it kills the battery much quicker and takes up a lot of memory on your watch. I've had my watch stop recording once because the memory was full during the middle of a long run. I was not happy. To avoid this, I clear all runs on the watch every so often.

She's a real nag, the old Garmin.

My favorite is that it still tells me to MOVE after a long run ... especially like on Marathon day after I've been sedentary for like 20 minutes after 26 miles.

I turned that feature off. It was annoying having my watch fuss at me as I am sitting in my office all day. lol

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

ATTQOTD: I do look at it from time to time. It's not a site I look at often, but its nice how it collects all of your race results into one place. I like to look how my race times have gone over time and how many races I have run each year. The latest trend is not one that I am liking though...

Thanks for the tips re: the Garmin (and, @IamTrike, for the Gaffigan reference, which made me laugh). I ran on the treadmill with it this morning. It's definitely off in terms of pace (it said I was going faster than I was during the warmup and slower than I was during the T-pace), but I'm sure that's to be expected for a first run, especially since it was inside. To @Keels' point, thanks for the advice about using it inside first, there were lots of little things I wasn't really sure how to do, so you were totally right about it being a little easier to deal with in a controlled environment. Super excited to keep using it and see how the data evolve!

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

I ran a race that used athlinks for registration and results, so once I was signed up, I went through and found all my old races. I haven't used it much since, though. I vaguely remember most of my old results anyway, since I've only been running for a few years (and before last year I only did 1-2 races a year).

Garmin question: is it worth getting a medium to high end Garmin if I'm only using it for running?
Right now I have the FR10, which I use for running, a fitbit one which i use for step tracking, and a timex ironman watch that I use as my everyday watch. If I get a new Garmin, I probably just want it for running and will keep using my fitbit and my regular watch. Am i wasting my money buying something like the 235?
My FR10 works fine for me right now, but if I don't chicken out of signing up for the marathon, I was thinking I might want something fancier.

I have to drink at least a small cup of coffee 30 minutes before long runs. I find it helps ensure that if I am going to have GI issues that I have them before the run not during the run.
I probably just jinxed myself (KNOCK ON WOOD), but I have never stopped to use the potty for any reason during any race of any distance except Tink because I got into the corrals right when it opened to ensure that I would be at the start of the back corral (paranoid of sweeping) and then I was in the corral so long I had to pee before the race even started. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter