The Running Thread - 2018

@GreatLakes this is the only area I know (the greater Cleveland area) that celebrates Christmas in July. We used to head up to Put in Bay for the festivities there until it became such a disastrous drunken cluster.

ATTQOTD: when I started running I had no idea how it would impact my mood. I’m such a happier person when I run.

This.....and I'll even go a step further. It puts me in a BAD mood when I can't get my run in.

When I made previous attempts at a running program(before I started using Galloway), I'd almost be relieved when it would be storming, or something else would come up and I couldn't get in a run. I'd just head back to the couch.

But today, for instance, I started running and immediately felt a tinge in my hip. I knew I hadn't been stretching properly this week to prevent it. So I was frustrated that I had to shut it down and avoid aggravating it.

I never expected to get frustrated over NOT being able to run.

NONE OF YOU TOLD ME MY TOENAILS WOULD FALL OFF

Really? Nobody warned you?
Also ... you probably need new shoes.

QOTD: What is something that has happened to you that you did not anticipate due to running?

According to my new Garmin, my average resting heart rate is 60. For someone whose RHR has always been in the 70s-80s (not because of problems, I just have a naturally fast heartbeat), this was a little bizarre. I always thought that whole "runners have slower heart rates" thing would never happen to me.

Also ... you guys. Seriously. I dont have the words to explain what this community means to me. Love you guys.

ATTQOTD: After years spent in the world of ballet, more years spent in the swing dance social scene, and even more years on the DIS, I should have known, but I was utterly unprepared for the amount of DRAMA involved with recreational running. I don't know if it's chilled out some or I've just gotten better at ignoring it, but for a while it was really harshing my running mellow.

QOTD: What is something that has happened to you that you did not anticipate due to running?

SO MANY THINGS!
(1) I actually like it
(2) I like it enough to wake up at sunrise to get 2-3 miles in BEFORE work
(3) I gained mass, some muscle, but some just fat, the latter of which I did not expect nor understand- this indicates my logging or my math skills are lacking. Really, that has never been an issue in my life, and the thought that I may not be able to fill out a spreadsheet and do math crushed my self esteem [this says much about myself that makes me uncomfortable]
(4) Inner bicep chafing.
(5) someone referred to me as a runner. This also blew my concept of myself out of the water- Apparently I run but cannot do math. Who am I?

@GreatLakes this is the only area I know (the greater Cleveland area) that celebrates Christmas in July. We used to head up to Put in Bay for the festivities there until it became such a disastrous drunken cluster.
We have some Christmas in July celebrations in SE MI as well- I was thinking of signing up for a xmas in July 5K, but I think it starts too late for me to be happy with. I cannot imagine any local celebrations are anywhere as raucous as anything at put out bay.

Haha. My toenails have never actually fallen off, although I did end up with 2 black/purple toe tips from my last half marathon! I was mortified when I went to yoga 2 weeks ago and remembered that as I took my socks off, and then tried to hide my feet the entire 90 minute class. They were like some combo of blood blister and callouses, it wasn't bruising that just went away... I had to wait for the purple/black skin to peel off. It finally came off a couple days after yoga. Running is so gross sometimes.

Just walked off of Rock-n-Roller Coaster after 30 minutes of sitting on the track!

I had this happen in April, but we were stuck at the launching point because someone decided they did not want to ride it anymore. Took forever to get them off. Being a tall person and accidentally pulling the bar down one click to many, I was very uncomfortable waiting for that whole process to take place. Where were you stuck at on the track? Lights on?

ATTQOTD yesterday: Driving to one weeknight run (I think it was like 7pm) and getting stuck in the worst traffic and having to go to the bathroom SO BAD...never again. If I ever do another evening run it will be on a Sat and I'll drive down and park in the morning and just hang around the city until the race. NEVER AGAIN!

ATTQOTD today: I did not anticipate the web of people who would also start running or doing races because of me. It's immensely humbling. I'm not a world class athlete..I'm a working mom who likes to run as a hobby. BUt I have family members, friends, and online peeps who have come to me for advise on starting to run...and there have been a handful that became runners after those conversations. And I've seen some of their spouses/friends start because of them. It's pretty amazing. I've also had a few swear it off and not like it and jokingly curse me...but hey, that's ok. Of course I can't take all the credit because I was inspired to run by other people. It's just kind of cool. It reminds me of my old dance days where I'd drag people to dances with me, some were like "never again" but some really enjoyed it and kept up with it. I didn't expect that to happen with running.

Folks with a AP, other than your magic bands being shipped to you, what other items did you receive in the mail if any, and how long did it take? Also do you receive offers that are emailed to you? We got ours in April and I got nothing so far other than the magic bands.

Toenails are overrated!

Yeah.... I'd agree this was unexpected at first but something I've just accepted as a reality for me and running. I've tried many things - larger shoes, new shoes, longer toenails, shorter toenails. The most successful thing has been to tape (or use bandaids since they are easier) the toe that is most problematic to the toe next to it. One podiatrist told me I was likely curling my toes and causing a downward impact with every step. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it has worked better than other things I've tried. After much more than a half (i.e. any challenge) I expect to lose a nail or two and have embraced the 'toenails are overrated' mindset. It definitely freaked out a pedicurist once though!

Folks with a AP, other than your magic bands being shipped to you, what other items did you receive in the mail if any, and how long did it take? Also do you receive offers that are emailed to you? We got ours in April and I got nothing so far other than the magic bands.
I've been renewing my AP for 20ish years - I get nothing, lol! I could get a new MB each year, but I don't bother: the 2 I have are enough. I never get a card anymore; I've been rocking the same plastic card for at least 3 years now (for AP discounts in the parks.) I get a Mickey Monitor every... hmm, maybe 3 months? I think it's quarterly. I suspect you just missed the last one; I think I got it a month or so ago. Emails are hit or miss, with more misses than hits. I get renewal reminders and renewal thank yous (with magnets) in snail mail.

ATTQOTD: I didn't expect my bank account balance to deplete so much because of running! But this may be more specific to runDisney than running. Otherwise, I agree with others that my mood and energy level are better when I run consistently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter