The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Tell us about one of the most scenic routes you have gone on a run. Is it a place you get to run often or was it during a vacation / holiday (I see this term and assume its the same as vacation. Not a term used in my little corner of the world though so I could be wrong.)
I remember thinking that running in Colorado would have been so much more beautiful if I could just breathe.. But still very scenic.
This is close to home, but I love running at my husband family's farm. He is involved part time on the farm and I love running out there and then hopping in the combine or tractor for a round during planting or harvest. It is beautiful!

I pretty much only bring up the raisins now to see how quickly I can summon you and @ZellyB to the conversation :)
#internettroll
Ha! I fall for it every single time...
#goodtroll #cantstopthefeeling

I will stand by you and say that if I know it is in fact an Oatmeal Raisin cookie that I will quite enjoy it. But I would rather have a Chocolate Chip cookie. I prefer my raisins in things. I can't just snack on them. But gimme some Craisins any day and I'll be happy.

Amen! Amen!

QOTD: Tell us about one of the most scenic routes you have gone on a run. Is it a place you get to run often or was it during a vacation / holiday (I see this term and assume its the same as vacation. Not a term used in my little corner of the world though so I could be wrong.)
Northern Ohio has an awesome metroparks system. I run at various parks and all the paths/trails are gorgeous. Some have deep woods, most have great hills (I know, but I like the hills), up and down ravines, over large bridges, next to rivers, and along Lake Erie. I went for a trail run yesterday in the snow and ice in one of the parks. It was a fairly short run next to a creek and down to Lake Erie. Beautiful.

I will say that I've done some awesome hikes (and pretty short runs) in and around Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas. As a flatlander being in and around the mountains leaves me speechless every time.

I remember thinking that running in Colorado would have been so much more beautiful if I could just breathe.. But still very scenic.
Elevation is a real thing that most people underestimate until they are here. I'm always amazed at how well I can breathe when I drop down to sea level (probably why I have PR'd at Disney multiple times)

ATTQOTD: For me, it would be the Schuylkill River trail in Philly behind the Art Museum. That same trip, I did a run across the Ben Franklin bridge and back and than around Independence hall and that area.

For the Raisins debate, I am for. In cookies or by themselves, they work for me! :)

Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas
I am running a half there in a month!!!

I used to just try to stay half marathon ready, so I could run one on impulse if I saw an interesting one, lol.
I like to pretend that I am always half marathon ready. And I like that this is a thing I can now say. Haha.

Give me chocolate chip cookies baked at home they are the GOAT of cookies. Oreos (double stuff) come in a strong second. And now I am hungry...
This one time (and then many, many times after that) I made chocolate chip cookies and then surrounded the dough around an oreo and then baked them and OMG BEST COOKIES EVER.

The ear-covering won't work...you have to tell him to cover his eyes!!!

Funny enough, I read it in @Dis5150's voice in my head so ears or eyes would be appropriate to cover. :D

A $20 HM?!?! Even I clicked through and I don't live close. Haha.

It used to be $12 when I first ran it in 2015. It's pretty bare bones. No medals, no bands/entertainment, etc. It's water/gatorade cups on a table, a USATF certified course, pair of gloves, and blocked off path for safety. About 1000 runners as well. But honestly, it's hard to beat that price!

My usual route is the waterfront about a mile from home and it's pretty, especially as the seasons change

Last edited:
My most scenic runs are in Maine. My in laws live by the coast, very close to Old Orchard Beach so I get to see some pretty sights throughout the summer. I am really sad that I started running so late as I missed some very scenic places that I have traveled to. I guess it means I need to go back so I can run there. I am hoping to get some scenic runs in Ireland this summer.

Also I abhor raisins - like won't eat them ever. One my first date with my husband, I accidentally ordered a cinnamon bun with raisins in it. So picked around them and tried to hide them, but it was in vain. He was like you don't like raisins? And I was like no as I wanted to melt into the ground lol

Looking back, I think the most scenic run I've done has been while we were on Maui. It was a path right by the ocean and had a beautiful view of the sunrise over the water as well as the mountains in the distance. And on my other side was the gorgeous landscaping of all the fancy beachfront hotels.

I am running a half there in a month!!!

This one time (and then many, many times after that) I made chocolate chip cookies and then surrounded the dough around an oreo and then baked them and OMG BEST COOKIES EVER.
Super jealous. Such a great area.
:earseek:omg that sounds amazing

I hate the hills, but Central Park isn't ugly.
Roosevelt Island has some nice views too - you can see Manhattan and Queens and there's a nice lighthouse on the tip of the island.
I also liked Flushing Meadow Corona Park, lots of fun Worlds Fair remnants there (and we might have also been able to see Citi Field from the course, I can't remember - I definitely saw it when I got off the 7 train right there)
(This is all races - my regular running routes are just trees and baseball fields)

I would also like to talk about the cookies. I do not like raisins nor do I enjoy oatmeal. Give me chocolate chip cookies baked at home they are the GOAT of cookies. Oreos (double stuff) come in a strong second. And now I am hungry...

Confession: I actually prefer Chips Ahoy to Oreos. But if we are talking Oreos, double stuf chocolate creme is my favorite.
I'm sure I mentioned this during the original discussion on @roxymama's journal (well, maybe), but ... I like both oatmeal chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin. Basically ... I like any cookie. Cookies are the best. Homemade chocolate chip cookies are pretty great, but I fail every time I try to make them. The only cookie I can bake is snickerdoodles (good news is, my snickerdoodles seem to be fairly popular, so I can get away with only baking one thing)

ATTQOTD: Very simple but the place where I run all my long runs in our local state park and it is beautiful! I literally run thru the park and around the lake. :)

Like in a few weeks we are headed to Sonoma, California and I have a 12 miler schedule. I cannot wait. (Past me is like W T F.)

So beautiful there! I was born and raised in Sonoma county, lived there almost 40 years (minus a few years in Santa Cruz and a couple in Humboldt county). The city of Sonoma is very quaint and the shops are fun! If you are able (and if you haven't been there before) the Sonoma county coastline is just gorgeous and so many cute shops to go in! :)

ETA: Strangely I hate raisins in cookies and cinnamon rolls but love them in cinnamon raisin toast. :)

The only cookie I can bake is snickerdoodles (good news is, my snickerdoodles seem to be fairly popular, so I can get away with only baking one thing)

Snickerdoodles are my absolute favorite! Mine are also pretty popular at least with my family but I am lazy and hate baking cookies! So please feel free to send me some of yours. :)

ATTQOTD: Nothing very scenic for me, but I do get to see a lot of wildlife around my home. There is a pair of bald eagles that live in the conservation area next to our subdivision. I got to watch them catch a rabbit while I was taking a walk on Monday! Picture quality sucks because they were pretty for away from me and I was using my phone.

99492922-7FA3-4347-8A87-808FDC8E432E.jpeg 2A04D18D-DB48-4534-8A51-C94C978AB392.jpeg

We also have sandhill cranes that are nearly as tall as me that creep me out. There’s also a pair of alligators in the pond behind my house that have been named Purse and Shoes. As for Disney races, I love running through World Showcase in the dark and Castaway Cay was a fun time.

I don’t care that much for chocolate chip cookies and Oreos are icky. I could eat my weight in peanut butter cookies though.

ATTQOTD: Another vote for Castaway Cay! It really is a beautiful island. I also really enjoyed training runs through NYC and Toronto. It’s fun to sightsee while exercising, and I kind of love the forced breaks while waiting to cross the street (I do not run in place)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter