• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Not a Running Thread topic directly, but I found it interesting that yesterdays quarterly financial results for Disney were disappointing in part to lower attendance at the Parks!

Investors Business daily reported that..., Experiences and Products revenues increased 7% to $6.6 billion. "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" opened in California in May after an estimated $1 billion investment. But costs rose and attendance was down. Guest spending grew due to higher average ticket prices and increased food, beverage and merchandise spending.
Explaining the weak attendance at the parks business, Iger said people stayed away due to fears of overcrowding. He added that prices for tickets and hotels were higher, while one "Galaxy's Edge" attraction wasn't available yet. Still, he said, "We do not feel we have a pricing issue at our domestic parks."

As Yogi Berra supposedly said, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Not a Running Thread topic directly, but I found it interesting that yesterdays quarterly financial results for Disney were disappointing in part to lower attendance at the Parks!
I'm not surprised by lower attendance. Given what usually happened to crowds when Disneyland opened major new attractions, I think a lot of people avoided it until after they saw what crowds actually looked like. Factor in Disney World clearly saying late 2019 until a few weeks ago and you have a recipe for lower crowds.

Now in recent weeks, Disneyland attendance has picked up again. Likely due to the reports of an empty park and an announced opening date for Rise of the Resistance.

I’ve run it and posted race reports the last two years. It’s one of my favorite running experiences. The first year I did it, I joined a team where I had never met any of my teammates. We hit it off and kept the core of the team together for the following year, but they told me some crazy stories from the year before I joined featuring some team members that just did not mesh with the group. 36 hours in a van with tired, incompatible people can be miserable!

I did the same thing with my Ragnar - I didn't know anyone when I joined them. Fortunately my van got along very well, but the "miserable" describes how a late addition made everyone in the other van feel.

I don’t think the race usually fills up, so maybe you can fill out the team and register a little later. How many more team members did you need? We ran that first year with 9-9.5 team members.

I think we had 9 team members. The issue is that not everyone wanted to split the cost for the regular registration, so we were aiming for the discount with the earliest registration. My impression was that some team members were definitely more pressed in terms of money, so I certainly wasn't going to force the issue. So at this point, we're into the full cost for registration, so I think that even if we find the additional team members to get 12, it will be a no-go due to cost.

I could try to find another team, but that's stretching what I consider to be worth it, given that I'm from Maryland, so it would be a lot of additional travel. I had wanted to do it with the folks that I knew.

Thanks for the thoughts. Hopefully my group will get together for something else.

Side QOTD: what would be the most annoying thing for someone else to be carrying while you are running. I'm thinking cymbals.

ATTSQOTD: Cymbals is good. Any repetitive noise would probably be annoying.

What about a really loud, obnoxious phone conversation? And the person is running at your pace so you never get rid of them? :)

ATTSQOTD: The guys dressed as flamingos making LOUD flamingo sounds throughout the WDW marathon this year. Sorry if that was anyone here - but it got real old, real fast, and couldn't be drowned out by my ear buds and music lol!

Is it just me who doesn't know what sound a flamingo makes? I guess it's because I don't live in Florida...

Side QOTD: what would be the most annoying thing for someone else to be carrying while you are running. I'm thinking cymbals.

When I ran Bay to Breakers this year, I ended up in the middle of a bunch of people promoting Weedmaps. They were running along with giant inflatable joints and chanting various slogans for Weedmaps.

I suspect cymbals would be worse, but not by much.

Someone from this board thought it was cute to run with a balloon tied to their hydration backpack and it was really annoying to have a balloon constantly hitting you in the face in a big pack of people trying to find ways to run around some of the bottlenecks.

And corral jumpers that didn't belong to start where they did.

Someone from this board thought it was cute to run with a balloon tied to their hydration backpack and it was really annoying to have a balloon constantly hitting you in the face in a big pack of people trying to find ways to run around some of the bottlenecks.

And corral jumpers that didn't belong to start where they did.

Seems kinda cruel to wear a balloon to a race where people fear the balloon ladies.

Are you going to be out there this year? Our Tuna Run team name is “Tuna Gives Me the Runs”. Thus far we have elected to run without visual aids.
Yup we'll be out there this year. We've done the Colonial 200 they put on, but this is the first time for Tuna. Maybe we can catch up.

Side ATTQOTD: a bunch of kids playing the recorder.
Ahhh Satan's Flute.

Investors Business daily reported that..., Experiences and Products revenues increased 7% to $6.6 billion. "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" opened in California in May after an estimated $1 billion investment. But costs rose and attendance was down. Guest spending grew due to higher average ticket prices and increased food, beverage and merchandise spending.
Explaining the weak attendance at the parks business, Iger said people stayed away due to fears of overcrowding. He added that prices for tickets and hotels were higher, while one "Galaxy's Edge" attraction wasn't available yet. Still, he said, "We do not feel we have a pricing issue at our domestic parks."

As Yogi Berra supposedly said, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Iger is going to say what he needs but prices are too high IMO. I am sure some will agree. But it isn't JUST prices being too high. It is the value you are getting back that is the problem. Losing parades, cleanliness, service from CM has slipped, the broken down monorail, crowds, etc... I never had a problem with the higher prices of Disney until they started taking away what made Disney different. I was there with the kids in April and the crowds were the worst I have seen. I spent $420 on cold, flavorless, food at Chef Mickeys. (Yes, I know it's Chef Mickey's but their breakfast used to at least be edible prior to this trip). I asked myself why I keep putting up with these prices for less fun.

I still love Disney. I always will. But I am staying away from WDW for a while, until something changes. I feel more value at DL for the time being but not sure how much longer that will last either.

Seems kinda cruel to wear a balloon to a race where people fear the balloon ladies.
What about if I ran as Dark Helmet from Spaceballs with a Death Star ballloon and "Ha ha ha, fool you!" on the back of my shirt? Which I really want to do for one of the Star Wars races.
Iger is going to say what he needs but prices are too high IMO. I am sure some will agree. But it isn't JUST prices being too high. It is the value you are getting back that is the problem. Losing parades, cleanliness, service from CM has slipped, the broken down monorail, crowds, etc... I never had a problem with the higher prices of Disney until they started taking away what made Disney different.
Prices keep increasing every single year and yet the parks remain crowded and are often feeling even more crowded. So park attendance tells Disney that pricing isn't a deterrent.

To me it comes down to how long can Disney maintain their monopoly. While Universal offers outstanding attractions, I don't think they offer enough for families with younger children. I have friends planning a trip to Orlando next year. They will have one day where the family is split up with the oldest children going to Wizarding World and the youngest staying on Disney property.

Hopefully Universal's new park will increase the competition and force Disney to up their game. As a Star Wars fan, I'm thrilled that Universal did such a great job on Wizarding World. It forced Disney (no pun intended) to really up their game when it came to Galaxy's Edge.

And that is one advantage Disneyland has. Since most Disneyland guests visit at least once a year, they have to continually make sure that they have offerings such as parades, entertainment, et all to persuade a guest to come back again. While I have always loved the Disney theme parks, my first adult trip to Disney World was in 2006. From 2006 through today, the Magic Kingdom has had 2 non holiday fireworks shows and the second one of those is barely 2 years old now. In that same period, Disneyland has featured at least 5 different fireworks shows not counting holiday shows.

Iger is going to say what he needs but prices are too high IMO. I am sure some will agree. But it isn't JUST prices being too high. It is the value you are getting back that is the problem. Losing parades, cleanliness, service from CM has slipped, the broken down monorail, crowds, etc... I never had a problem with the higher prices of Disney until they started taking away what made Disney different. I was there with the kids in April and the crowds were the worst I have seen. I spent $420 on cold, flavorless, food at Chef Mickeys. (Yes, I know it's Chef Mickey's but their breakfast used to at least be edible prior to this trip). I asked myself why I keep putting up with these prices for less fun.

I still love Disney. I always will. But I am staying away from WDW for a while, until something changes. I feel more value at DL for the time being but not sure how much longer that will last either.

Yeah most of my close real world friends are all pretty die hard Disney people. (we've done Marathon weekend as a group together 6 or 7 times. Until the past year and a half every family had multiple trips per year and most of our families had AP's). Over the past year every family in the group has let their AP's lapse. We are driving distance to Disney, but it's gotten to the point that a Disney trip is now close cost wise to a trip to hawaii or Europe. StarWars land is a draw but it's harder and harder to justify the premium for Disney over a trip to universal or somewhere else.

Golden Gate Double 8k Race Recap
with emphasis on running with a tween

We choose this race a long time ago, in the early stage of our trip planning, because it was the only one that could fit the schedule and had a theme/medal/shirt.

We landed in San Francisco at noon on Saturday and visited all afternoon. I did not know what effect the jet-lag and all the walking would do on 11y.o DD, my running partner. It was a good test for Marathon Weekend.

I woke up at 3:15AM, just because. But DD woke up at 5AM, a minute before the alarm. She was excited and in a super racing mood.

She took in well that we had not found the groceries the night before so we had to leave earlier. We found a Starbucks opened at 5:30AM in the Financial District 😅. We then went for the bus, which was not the right one for our Muni passes. Time passed, excitation went up but we were finally dropped at the Presidio around 7AM, a bit more than a mile from the race site. DD was a trooper and I believe that this walk turned out to be a great warmup.

The fog was present all morning and we could hear the horn. Temperature was cool. Crissy Field is flat and by the water. Good conditions overall except for taking pictures with the bridge.

There is about 500 participants split on three distances : 10k, 5k and Double 8k (5k+3k). The organizers were ready and things went smoothly. The Double is their speciality and DD had been looking at registrations to see if she could place in her age group. She correctly identified a 12yo, a 15yo but not the three 18yo. Knowing her as her coach, I knew she was going to push that race because of it. We had agreed on a coaching strategy: I would tell her “Breathe”, “Smile” and “You can do this”. I would answer on distance and pace only on request. I would not engage in her complaints. I would let her finish in front of me.

There was no chip for time so after our warmup, we placed ourselves in the first few rows for the 5k with a 8AM start. DD ran her best 5k ever in 25:03, no pain, smiling, talking to a fellow runner (hello Lori) and sprinting the last 500m.

We stretched, snacked, put a sweatshirt on and mostly sat until we had to warmup again. DD could feel that her legs were tired.

For the 3k departure at 9:15AM, we put ourselves right behind the line, close to the other young ladies and went too fast at the beginning. Also DD lace came untied 500m into the race. That broke her spirit and rythme. Although she did complain, cried and got mad at me, she still ran this portion in 15:47! Part of the frustration was knowing she was not catching up that 12yo... It turns out that nobody did either... She was the overall female winner (impressive, congratulations!). And the 15yo was the sister of the overall male winner, wearing the same college competition team shirt. That was a great lesson for DD.

The race medal was beautiful and, after we calmed down and ate some of the post race snacks, we waited for the awards. And the race organizers really came nice on this one (maybe on my suggestion 🤫): DD got a medal for being 2/2 in the newly created 12 and under age group! As for myself, I came 4th in my age group with a total 8k time of 41:00 (thanks for posting @LSUlakes)

We celebrated by walking all around San Francisco (with our medals on Sunday) for the three following days... As DD said, it was a very active recovery!

And I can now add California to the list of States I ran in @jennamfeo

Last edited:
Liberty Mile Recap (5:35/5:29)

The Liberty Mile is mile road race every year here in Pittsburgh. I enjoy the atmosphere of it alot (not to much the distance). It takes place downtown and is always on a Friday evening. They have multiple heats: General (the majority of people are in this, pups and kids too), Masters, sub-6 minute, and Pro Men and Women.

I'm in the sub-6 heat and my main goal every year is to not finish last. I wish I had a better strategy for a mile but it's basically I go out to fast in the first 400m and just try to hold on. I think the splits were between 1:15-1:25.

I finished in 5:29 which is a new PR for me (5:32 previously), 59/100. It's fun to watch the Pro heats, crazy how fast they are.

Various, miscellaneous sundries...

There is a gal who wears a Beast costume to several races. Always impressed with her. (The costume is really well made, too.)

Rudy is wondering who he has to sleep with the keep that job... 🤪 ... Too soon? The announcing team does a run through in the wee hours, but that only covers so much. If they don't get someone good to be the main cog, you're going to hear it. Carissa ain't it. (She has TV background, but in short scripted news stories.) It takes a special talent to fill the air the way Rudy does. If they did this to save money, that money better show up somewhere else. (Personally, if money is an issue, I think they should fix the expo first.)

Maybe they've finally reached an inflection point with the prices. I do think people are waiting for Galaxy's Edge, but when you consider the new parking costs, increased food costs, and people who think they HAVE to stay on property, it's not a competitively priced vacation. (The rare times we do stay on property, we rented DVC points, which is surprisingly cheap compared to regular reservations.) Our trip next week for the GE preview? Flight on points, rental car on points, AP (so tickets covered), and some cooking in the off property (but inside the gates) condo with full, stocked kitchen for $120 a night (after taxes). Cheap trip. Novices pay a small fortune.

Does anyone run in Hokas? I went from the arahi 2 to the 3 and noticed way less "rock" in the shoe (I always likened the "rock" to the blade of an ice skate). These seem way flatter. I'm curious if anyone else noticed this or if it's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter