• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

Glad that the weather is getting nicer as my gym and basically everything else in the state is shut down for the next month. Was thinking of running a half in May but concerned it will be canceled so I think I’ll wait and see.

For my fellow yogis (and no, not the bear), check out DownDogYoga app. They have made it free til April 1. I just did a session. You can customize type, length, etc. I was able to screen mirror to my TV, so that was good. Looking forward to more sessions. Also they supposedly have barre, HIIT and other stuff that I haven't checked out yet.

thanks @jmasgat i just checked my yoga studio and as expected they have suspended classes indefinitely. i am going for a walk at lunch, wfh all day for the next few weeks is going to be a little crazy.

On that front, we had one coffee disaster already, but we are getting better.

Mallory is not sure what is going on but after the spilling of the coffee pot and grounds every where and getting it cleaned up she has gone back to sleep. We did do better on the second pot of coffee. I think the next major accomplishment is going to be if the marriage will survive the constant being together :rotfl2:

i just checked my yoga studio and as expected they have suspended classes indefinitely.
Also as expected, the Y just canceled all group classes. I'm having a hard time imagining doing yoga looking at an iPad, so not sure what I'm doing other than gaining (another) 5 pounds due to less activity.

Glad to hear your coffee making skills are improving!

Well, my marathon (Martian Marathon April 18) was just officially postponed. Not a shock, but sigh. Their new date is unspecified but "summer", so I doubt I will want to do that because even Michigan can get hot in the summer.

So I join the ranks of not sure what I'm going to do in terms of running...I still have the next 4 weeks of my training plan, and then I don't know. I have no desire to do a time trial or virtual run for a marathon, because without at least some crowd support and race support it doesn't seem like much fun and I know I wouldn't work hard at it. DH explicitly opted out of being race support for any such plan. :) But it seems like a shame to be all trained up and nowhere to race.

I'm having a hard time imagining doing yoga looking at an iPad, so not sure what I'm doing other than gaining (another) 5 pounds due to less activity.

You can use Chromecast or Screen Mirroring to display content on your TV--or even directly if it's something off YouTube, for example. I did this with my yoga session this am/

Still TBD for my May 3 half-marathon. My training has been....spotty. So need to get myself in gear - if I assume it’s canceled, it will for sure happen!

JustRun which organizes many races locally have just postponed all of their Spring races to unknown dates. Runners are still registered to the race. If unable to attend, they will get the option to switch to another 2020 or 2021 race or to transfer to someone else. Very fair.

There is already talks here that this is the end of the school year, instead of end of June. So, yes, a lot of patience required. Keep running healthy!

Still TBD for my May 3 half-marathon. My training has been....spotty. So need to get myself in gear - if I assume it’s canceled, it will for sure happen!
Which 1/2 are you doing on May 3rd. There are a couple I was looking at that weekend as well. One in Maine and the Providence 1/2. Didn’t know if we might be at the same 1/2.

I have been absent for a few weeks. I have been running still, just no time to come post. Although just as I was starting the build my mileage for the 1/2 I was thinking of signing up for in May my ankle pain I was dealing with last year returned unannounced. I had been having no pain at all and all of a sudden one run I couldn’t make it a 1/2 mile. I took two days off and my last two runs I was able to complete but the pain was there to a lesser degree.

I’m sorry about all the cancelled races everyone has been dealing with. I tried signing up for the B.A.A. 10k that was scheduled to open for registration on 3/11 but they never opened it. So at this point I have no races scheduled. I wonder if more races will delay their registrations now. I’m not signing up for any races now until I’m sure the pain stays away.

Not sure if it's already been posted, but Peloton is offering free access to their app for two months.

Also, found out today that the Salt Lake Marathon has canceled all races, all distances. It was scheduled for April 18. They're allowing registrants to submit proof of completion via any tracking app and get their swag and medal at a local running store before May 18. Anyone who doesn't will automatically be registered for the same distance next year. I was doing the 10K so I may go ahead and do it as a Sunday run. Was really hoping for a new 10K PR to submit for POT, though, now that my 2:41 Half doesn't qualify me for a POT corral.

I work from home all the time, so this is not new territory for me. Eating at home is, though! It's just my husband and I, and we usually travel a fair amount, so eating out is the norm at least 3 times a week. My kitchen is as stocked as it's ever been!

My running team suspended group workouts for the foreseeable future. The guidance we were given was that maintaining your base is the best thing you can do right now, since it's not looking great that spring races will happen. We were told to do ~80-90% of our peak mileage but slower (0:45-1:00 per mile slower than race pace). So for the marathoners out there, keep runs longer and slower and get used to mileage. The speed work isn't critical until races pop back up, but get about 1-2 workouts a week in at your tempo/threshold paces and throw in some strides to remember what it feels like to go fast ;)

Hello everyone! It's been a while since posting or running for me. I hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times. I hope that this comes to a end sooner than some of the predictions and life can continue going on. Stay safe and wash your hands.

My running team suspended group workouts for the foreseeable future. The guidance we were given was that maintaining your base is the best thing you can do right now, since it's not looking great that spring races will happen. We were told to do ~80-90% of our peak mileage but slower (0:45-1:00 per mile slower than race pace). So for the marathoners out there, keep runs longer and slower and get used to mileage. The speed work isn't critical until races pop back up, but get about 1-2 workouts a week in at your tempo/threshold paces and throw in some strides to remember what it feels like to go fast ;)

Thank you, that's great advice! That's what I was vaguely thinking -- about 80% to 90% of what I was doing the week before the NYC Half got cancelled, but was just wondering about speed, so this is very very helpful, thanks!

I don't remember if it's been mentioned here but Peleton is offering their app for free for 90 days. I downloaded it earlier today and am going to try one of the strength training videos this evening. They also have outdoor options for running and walking, but I'm not sure what that really includes.

Which 1/2 are you doing on May 3rd. There are a couple I was looking at that weekend as well. One in Maine and the Providence 1/2. Didn’t know if we might be at the same 1/2.

I have been absent for a few weeks. I have been running still, just no time to come post. Although just as I was starting the build my mileage for the 1/2 I was thinking of signing up for in May my ankle pain I was dealing with last year returned unannounced. I had been having no pain at all and all of a sudden one run I couldn’t make it a 1/2 mile. I took two days off and my last two runs I was able to complete but the pain was there to a lesser degree.

I’m sorry about all the cancelled races everyone has been dealing with. I tried signing up for the B.A.A. 10k that was scheduled to open for registration on 3/11 but they never opened it. So at this point I have no races scheduled. I wonder if more races will delay their registrations now. I’m not signing up for any races now until I’m sure the pain stays away.

Providence! It’s my second time running - I liked the course (hilly though) and they have some good swag!

But seeing Pittsburgh and Flying Pig cancel for the same weekend, I’m not hopeful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter