• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

I don't remember if it's been mentioned here but Peleton is offering their app for free for 90 days. I downloaded it earlier today and am going to try one of the strength training videos this evening. They also have outdoor options for running and walking, but I'm not sure what that really includes.

Just finished 30 minute strength class and then did a 30 minute hatha class on DownDog. So far, so good.

Just finished 30 minute strength class and then did a 30 minute hatha class on DownDog. So far, so good.

I did a 10 minute strength training video yesterday. I really liked the workout but didn't love the instructor. But they have lots of different instructors to try. And I did go for a walk yesterday (just to be able to get out of the house) so tried a 30 minute walking class and it was interesting too. Different intervals to the music and stuff like that. I did like that instructor so I might see if she has running ones.

I did a 10 minute strength training video yesterday. I really liked the workout but didn't love the instructor. But they have lots of different instructors to try. And I did go for a walk yesterday (just to be able to get out of the house) so tried a 30 minute walking class and it was interesting too. Different intervals to the music and stuff like that. I did like that instructor so I might see if she has running ones.

A walking class? Very intriguing. Did the instructor talk a lot or just give you prompts?

A walking class? Very intriguing. Did the instructor talk a lot or just give you prompts?
The instructor talked pretty much the whole time. So they gave prompts about move to a fast walk now, you can slow to an easy walk, etc. They would time things with the music. For example, there was one song where they'd say everytime you hear these words, do two high knees. Or do a fast walk during the chorus. There was point where they did a little meditation exercise. Things like that. It was interesting and kept me engaged. I would say it's not the right thing for those times when you want to zone out.

Providence! It’s my second time running - I liked the course (hilly though) and they have some good swag!

But seeing Pittsburgh and Flying Pig cancel for the same weekend, I’m not hopeful.

Yeah, I am going forward with the assumption the race won’t be happening. B.A.A. finally updated their site for the 10k, which is at the end of June, and all their races are now TBD on their site. I’m assuming that may not even happen in June.

I won’t be registering for any races until I’m sure they will be happening.

I'm primarily a lurker, but since this list has been such a great resource for me, I wanted to pass on a resource that I found.

My physical therapist is also a runner and has an on-line training site. He is offering four of his on-line strength for runners for free right now. I haven't used the videos myself yet (I just got released from PT yesterday), but I can vouch for his knowledge in how the body works and how to strength it to get better performances and to try to prevent injuries). The information is below on the free classes is below. Steve is also posts a bunch of stuff on the RunSmart Facebook page and is doing a live workout sometime this weekend. So if anyone is looking for something to keep them busy, here you go:

Try these 𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗞𝗢𝗨𝗧𝗦 for runners
-
💪 Yoga for Runners
💪 Kettlebells for Runners
💪 Bootcamps for Runners
-
All of them are a great starting point to build balance and strength while stuck practicing your self-distancing!
-
𝗚𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿𝘀!
👇👇👇
TryRunSmart.com

Found a list of cancelled endurance events nationally which is being regularly updated.
https://www.endurancesportswire.com/list-of-endurance-events-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus/
I was planning on doing the Rock n Roll San Diego marathon on May 31 but I'm almost certain it will be cancelled. One thing that seems clear is this disease is likely to affect different areas at different times. So Seattle is one of the first hit, New York and San Francisco are getting it now, and who knows where next. I expect what will happen is there will be a sort of wave across the country, effectively extending many of the restrictions on movement and forcing late spring races to get cancelled. We'll see if things start to look better when fall rolls around.

Last edited:
So how's everyone manged so far this week? My DH has been working from home, and I have ramped up my baking. Cranberry walnut biscotti, banana bread, biscuits. I expect to gain 10 lbs, all the while listening to him complain that he really needs to put on a little weight (he's 6'2", 160-ish) and how now that he is less active his appetite is down. Honestly, I could probably make a fortune if I had a dunk tank and gave everyone who listens to that a chance to get him!

Went for 8-ish mile run this morning. Is it okay to admit that part of the reason I wanted to run longer is that I really wanted to eat a Salted Caramel Gu? I must say, there were more people out this morning walking, but only one of the 20 or so that I passed actually made any effort to move over and maintain a proper distance.

Time to refuel with leftover takeout BBQ. Decided to order extra and tip generously. Businesses sure do need it.

So how's everyone manged so far this week? My DH has been working from home, and I have ramped up my baking. Cranberry walnut biscotti, banana bread, biscuits. I expect to gain 10 lbs, all the while listening to him complain that he really needs to put on a little weight (he's 6'2", 160-ish) and how now that he is less active his appetite is down. Honestly, I could probably make a fortune if I had a dunk tank and gave everyone who listens to that a chance to get him!

Went for 8-ish mile run this morning. Is it okay to admit that part of the reason I wanted to run longer is that I really wanted to eat a Salted Caramel Gu? I must say, there were more people out this morning walking, but only one of the 20 or so that I passed actually made any effort to move over and maintain a proper distance.

Time to refuel with leftover takeout BBQ. Decided to order extra and tip generously. Businesses sure do need it.

My work shifted to mandatory working from home until further notice if your role allows it this week. Mine does, so I’ve been adjusting to the new schedule. It‘s been difficult not getting the social time with my coworkers, but it has allowed me to be more efficient with my workout schedule, walking at lunch and running immediately after work. Cutting out the hour and a half of daily commuting has been nice.

We’re also trying to support our small locally-owned restaurants while they’re closed for dine-in. I picked up a gyro and hummus from a small Mediterranean restaurant last night. Tonight we’re going to carry out from a new, small Thai place. Hopefully, they’ll be able to weather the storm.

So how's everyone manged so far this week?

Sheltering in place. Trying to limit grocery runs to once a week, first thing in the morning so the store is freshly cleaned. Supporting local restaurants by getting takeout.

Exercise-wise: current events have not affected my running, except that restrooms are closed (I believe due to TP thefts).

For strength training, I dusted the cobwebs off the weights and pull-up bar in the basement, so I'm good. Plus, it's prime gardening season, which gives a pretty good workout, both strength and cardio.

I've not attempted remote yoga yet. I saw that my instructor has posted videos, so I may try to do those. My issues with the online yoga classes are more logistical than technical. I may settle for some self-directed yoga-like stretching.

Because my exercise classes are canceled, I'm having the problem of 'getting going'. Example: Thursdays were yoga from 6-7, which I never miss. Then I'm at the Y, but it's too dark to run, so I workout for an hour, then do a run. Now, it's not as structured. I know that I really just need to continue to set the alarm for 5AM for Thursday, but haven't been brave enough to do that yet.

I hope that everyone is doing well out there and staying safe. I have been off the boards for a few weeks and have been catching up today. My role at work ( I work at MSU) requires me to come in so it has been a bit crazy. In reading everyone’s comments I got nervous about my next race, DX2A in Ann Arbor, but for now it is still on. It is not until the end of May, so hopefully we are moving back into normalcy before then!

I have a rest day today and a long run tomorrow and then I will have completed week three of my training plan for DX2A. The good news is that I have had no ankle or hip pain to this point!! Wishing everyone a good and healthy weekend.

So how's everyone manged so far this week?

Not too bad all things considered. I'm like you that I did a little extra baking this week; I normally only run three days a week, I may start going for four...
Puppy has been getting three (short) walks a day instead of two. Just trying to stay busy instead of just Netflix binge-ing when I'm not working. I think I'm going to wash the walls tomorrow.

So how's everyone managed so far this week?
Thanks for asking.

Overall, I would say, better than I thought. We are slowly adjusting to what might be our reality for a few months.

We (me, DH, DD14 and DD12) have been home for over a week now. We let the girls do as much screen time as they wanted during that first week. We had enough to deal with working from home, doing and delivering the weekly groceries to our parents and absorbing the news. The weather has been cooperating so we took a daily walk as a family, staying at a safe distance from other walkers/runners, of course. The thing that is tough during those walkand during meal time is to switch conversation away from our fears (what about school, how many cases, will our vacations happen, are we ok financially, etc) and come back to the present moment. Lightness is missing.

Running has helped. DH is now joining me for the first 5k of my run since his gym is closed. I put on an audio guided run today so our focus was there. I have been waking up in the middle of the night being all anxious and wondering if my lungs felt ok. Running and respecting the paces on my plan is reassuring me in that regards.

Exercise wise, we are lucky to have a fitness equipment manufacturer in the family. We now have an exercise ball, a step, some free weights and a door/wall gym that we need to mount. We will be organizing bootcamps, strength programs and video workouts sessions in the coming week. We might need some Just Dance games for our old wii.

That will be my goal for next week: To establish a daily routine with some SMART objectives for all in various domains. All with a lot of patience and empathy for everyone around, and everywhere else.

What do you all think about meeting friends to run?

In my non-professional opinion, I would say minimal risk as long as you air hug/elbow bump. I played disc golf with a buddy on Thursday and wasn't worried. We were down at Little Mulberry Park, which was fairly crowded.

As we learned the hard way, when they say 'elbow bump', you don't literaly crack your bony elbows together.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter