The Running Thread - 2020

March Totals:
131.7 miles

I was able to squeeze one 50k race in before everything got canceled, so I’m happy with that. It was the Friday of the weekend everything started to be canceled. It was a close call, I’m sure. But the main focus of the event was the bike race on Saturday, and they went on with that also. I think there were a lot of people that questioned whether it should have happened or not. Part of me thinks that all those riding the event were already in the area and hanging out, so canceling it wouldn’t have changed the amount of out of towners in close proximity to others at that time. We are now over two weeks post event, and I haven’t heard of anyone getting sick from it, but that also doesn’t mean no one got sick either. Such a weird/crazy time we are living in.

Stay as safe and healthy as possible, and thanks to all who are working hard to accomplish that!

@BigEeyore i hear you on the swimming. I don’t swim fast or a lot but only one swim in March. My pool fitness will be terrible once I start back up.

I had my last sea swim two weeks ago and really miss it. By the time we're allowed back in the water again, we'll only have a few weeks before it's too warm for workout swims. :(

For those with bikes what kind do you have?

I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL road bike with Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting and FLO wheels. I'll never be happy with a mechanical system again. I sold my Scott Plasma tri bike a few weeks ago and bought a new Quintana Roo PRFive with Ultegra Di2 and disc brakes. I assume it's a beautiful bike with the custom red and black paint job I asked for. Sadly, I don't know. It's sitting in the factory in Chattanooga awaiting my wheels from ENVE, and with the pandemic situation, I think it'll be a while before anyone is able to work on it.

March 2020
All running
Miles: 76.28
Avg. Pace: 9:51

Still working my way back from a pinched nerve in my back (on 1/30 :() and still running with an Ace back brace. I tried one run recently without it but the back started tightening at about 3 miles. Will attempt again when weather gets warmer.

Ran a small, local 10K on 3/8. It was part of a series. The second part on 3/29 became a virtual.

My short-term target race (Cap City Half) was postponed from 4/25 to 8/29. Long-term is still the Space Coast marathon in late Nov. I'm signed-up for the Half...I hope to switch to the Full if my training continues to go well.

I have a Cervelo P3 tri bike, and a Specialized Ruby road bike - both are over 7 years old and have lots of miles on them! What did you get?

I got a Giant Defy Advanced 3. It’s Carbon and has disk brakes. My previous bike I bought at Dick’s cuz it’s all I could afford during the divorce. I couldn’t believe the weight difference. :D I also couldn’t believe the difference riding and how much easier and smoother it was. I rode for almost two hours that first ride and if the rain wasn’t coming I could have kept going. It was such a difference. An hour on my old bike was all I could take.

I had my last sea swim two weeks ago and really miss it. By the time we're allowed back in the water again, we'll only have a few weeks before it's too warm for workout swims. :(

I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL road bike with Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting and FLO wheels. I'll never be happy with a mechanical system again. I sold my Scott Plasma tri bike a few weeks ago and bought a new Quintana Roo PRFive with Ultegra Di2 and disc brakes. I assume it's a beautiful bike with the custom red and black paint job I asked for. Sadly, I don't know. It's sitting in the factory in Chattanooga awaiting my wheels from ENVE, and with the pandemic situation, I think it'll be a while before anyone is able to work on it.

That sucks John. Everything is a mess right now. That’s why I risked buying it last weekend. It was last years model at a big discount and I didn’t want someone else to get it. I also didn’t want the shop to shut down for a few months (he’s only open 4 hours on Saturdays right now) and then not have the bike most of the summer.

Hopefully you can get your bike soon and get in some good miles.

My March Miles: 69.1
19.9 miles on the bike
I also did the stationary bike a few times but didn’t really track it.
3 pounds GAINED! >:(>:(>:(

I was hoping to get over 75 as I build my miles back up but had to take two runs off because of that ankle pain I was having. But I got to 8 miles on Sunday and no pain so that’s good.

Overall I’m pleased with the direction I’m headed.

Hit my monthly mileage goal for March making it the third month in a row. Started the month with my first half marathon in a year. That was supposed to kick off marathon training for a race in late May. Now that's shelved and I'm back to maintaining fitness. Might do a virtual race of some sort in the next month or so.

March 2020:
45 miles
12:53 pace

I started out the month with the stretch goal of 60 miles, and some TM sessions to try to bring down my pace. I was reasonably on track for this until March 10 when I went into full 'prep for homeschool and work from home' mode and then the actual start of it on The Ides of March. I have found that running is the only time out of the house , the only time alone in my head, and the time I make calls to friends without my kids fighting in the background. So I am leaning into running at least 4x a week. I have been circling our stadium watching the students taking photos in their gowns as graduation was cancelled, giving me more hills than normal. I take the last mile or so to call friends, which generally results in a slower pace but higher spirit. I have been going to bed earlier mostly because I otherwise feel guilty for not working more, it is a slog to put in hours of starting at plots and my eyes feel the strain of the small laptop screen in the evening. Cosmic Kids Yoga with my kids has been a hoot, but they largely criticize me for not following the directions (I can use a bit more challenge!).
I do not think we will be going back to school/work anytime soon, so April should be similar to the last few weeks. If the weather isn't miserable (I refused to go running the days it was 40 and raining), I think getting to 60 miles is achievable. I do not see getting faster, though.

@FFigawi quite jealous of the Di2s. i really want them but i need to ride my bike more. I really do miss the swimming. I do it more as a recovery day, so i swim on fridays. It just feels good and i feel like i get a good workout in without the pounding. I get out of the pool and I can be pretty spent. I said after i get through Boston (i sure hope that goes on). I might focus on bike and get a swim coach. i know i can't get through a another triathalon without some serious time in the water. That also means getting out of the pool and into open water. Like most people i swim ok following the black line in the pool. Get me in open water and i freak out.

On that note if we go into serious lock down and the gyms are all closed, i am thinking about getting a bike trainer. I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of space, but i do have a bike. What are people's thoughts on cheap bike trainers? I am not expecting i would use it except during lock down. Thinking I need to start scoping out craig's list. So far the parks are open so i am able to run and take mallory in the wagon for two walks a day. She is really getting used to us being home all the time.

That sucks John. Everything is a mess right now. That’s why I risked buying it last weekend. It was last years model at a big discount and I didn’t want someone else to get it. I also didn’t want the shop to shut down for a few months (he’s only open 4 hours on Saturdays right now) and then not have the bike most of the summer.

Hopefully you can get your bike soon and get in some good miles.

I'm sure I'll be able to get it during my next trip back to the US, whenever that happens to be. And kudos for supporting your local shop, especially right now.

@FFigawi quite jealous of the Di2s. i really want them but i need to ride my bike more. I really do miss the swimming. I do it more as a recovery day, so i swim on fridays. It just feels good and i feel like i get a good workout in without the pounding. I get out of the pool and I can be pretty spent. I said after i get through Boston (i sure hope that goes on). I might focus on bike and get a swim coach. i know i can't get through a another triathalon without some serious time in the water. That also means getting out of the pool and into open water. Like most people i swim ok following the black line in the pool. Get me in open water and i freak out.

I love swimming in open water. We have sea swims here on Tue, Wed, and Sat all year except in the summer months when the water is too warm. If you can get good at it, or at least comfortable, you can make out well compared to many other swimmers when the conditions aren't ideal.

On that note if we go into serious lock down and the gyms are all closed, i am thinking about getting a bike trainer. I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of space, but i do have a bike. What are people's thoughts on cheap bike trainers? I am not expecting i would use it except during lock down. Thinking I need to start scoping out craig's list. So far the parks are open so i am able to run and take mallory in the wagon for two walks a day. She is really getting used to us being home all the time.

A trainer is a worthwhile investment. All you really need is a turbo trainer, a cadence sensor, and a speed sensor. With those three items, you can use Zwift, Trainer Road, Sufferfest, or any of the other online training programs out there. Good for times like this, cold & rainy days, days over 100 and humid, etc.

March Miles - 53.5

Lower than I was hoping for but as has been mentioned it has been a crazy month. I had originally been eyeing a half in May, but that has been canceled so my motivation just fell off after that. We also had some crappy weather and with the gym closed, I chose to skip those days. Already have been told we are working from home until at least May 6. Hoping to have a stronger April and have things start to level off next month. I would like to run a summer or fall race, but we need to see if those will even happen.

The stay at home order Ohio implemented opened up more time to run. We are an essential industry and all of my staff still has to work so most of us are at home while one of my staff is going into an empty office most days. I go in when I have to but make sure I get in a run most days over lunch.

Both my wife and I are working as normal, just from home. Having daycare closed means we have to keep a 3 year old entertained enough to let us work and take calls when needed, so that's fun. To add to the drama our son's daycare decided they are not going to reopen after the order is lifted so we will be transitioning him to a new daycare once this is over.

For those with bikes what kind do you have?

My road bike is a GT Series 4. It isn't the best but it works for me. I also have a Giant Boulder SE mountain bike and a really cheap Target Pacific bike I use for little trips around town or towing the Burley bike trailer with the kid in it.

@FFigawiOn that note if we go into serious lock down and the gyms are all closed, i am thinking about getting a bike trainer. I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of space, but i do have a bike. What are people's thoughts on cheap bike trainers? I am not expecting i would use it except during lock down. Thinking I need to start scoping out craig's list. So far the parks are open so i am able to run and take mallory in the wagon for two walks a day. She is really getting used to us being home all the time.

I’m a compulsive researcher and shopper and was looking into bike trainers over the winter. I didn‘t end up buying, but if I were to pull the trigger, I’d have gone with the Wahoo Kickr Snap to start with. It’s got enough features to let you use smart technology and access Trainer Road/Zwift without needing a number of additional accessories while not being nearly as expensive as many of the other “smart” options.

@camaker thanks. i was just starting to look at DC Rainmaker and then i was looking at REI online. I am hoping we can still get outside to run, but reality could change.

@camaker thanks. i was just starting to look at DC Rainmaker and then i was looking at REI online. I am hoping we can still get outside to run, but reality could change.
I decided a few weeks ago (since pretty much all races have been canceled), that I might try and start training for a tri. I bought a Saris H3 from REI about a week ago with their 20% off one item discount. Right now I only have my Trek hybrid bike- I plan to get a road bike at some point, but I want to make sure I actually stick to riding before I spend even more money. Tried out Rouvy for the first time last night. I’m picking up some clip in shoes tonight (and pedals), so I can really start to figure out what I’m doing. 😁

March 2020
running: 135.8 miles
average pace: 11:18 min/mi
total time: 25.58 hours

This is my highest monthly mileage ever, reaching the peak of my training for a marathon in April that is now postponed. We're under a stay-at-home order, but exercise is OK if you maintain a safe distance, so I will keep running.

Tennis: 8 hours

This is way down, since leagues through USTA were suspended starting March 15 and at least through April. Unfortunately tennis is harder to do with stay-at-home. My husband and I could play singles, but he is so much better than me, it's not much fun for either of us. lol

March Numbers:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 61.77
Time - 14 hours, 12 minutes

Year To Date:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 148.59
Time - 34 hours, 06 minutes

What a crazy month it's been. Thanks to the Stay at Home order, going for walks and runs has become the only time during the day I can get out of the house so it has become a daily occurrence. Most of my mileage has been from daily walks with my sister, but there have also been some days that I have also gone for a run earlier in the day. I've also signed up for a Virtual Running Series that has me doing a 5K every week so that has helped keep up some motivation. My hope for April is that the weather here starts to improve, we actually see the sun, and I can get out for more runs this month on top of the nightly sisters walk.

Stay-At-Home order issued in FL as of tomorrow. No details released yet, so I don't know for sure whether it allows for outdoor exercise... I imagine it will, since it's not a full lock-down. I'm worried about gyms/fitness centers AND pools being closed in my county, though, as we head into summer. The number of folks exercising outdoors has quadrupled over the past week and a lot of them are seniors: I fear there may be an uptick in heat-related illness of this goes on into May and June or beyond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter