Thinking of taking neice just diagnosed with cancer.... need handicap advise??

scootch

DIS Veteran
Going November 28-Dec 2. My 19 year old neice was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with a malignant tumor on her sciatic nerve. Had surgery.. has no feeling in her foot and ankle, they hope to she will regain some of the ankle feeling in 3-6 months. Can walk short distances with cane/brace. So not sure what she will be able to do by November. She is a gutsy girl, and i am hoping the thoughts of wdw will push her thru the hard days(she also needs radiation therapy, no chemo though.. yea) Anyhow... I also will be taking a 3 and 6 year old.... and my sisterinlaw. So I know I am going to have my hands full. Are the wheelchair rentals easy to get?? or should we bring our own just in case?? Someone mentioned going to guest services and asking about a Guest Assistance Pass??? does anyone know what this entails??? Any info would be apprecitated!! Thanks...

I'm going to move this over to the DISabilities board.There are lots of people who can help you out with this.

It's really nice of you,I hope your niece has a magical time!! :earsgirl:

Scootch, I am sorry to read about your niece's diagnosis - thoughts & prayers fro everyone involved.

I would suggest you all think about renting an ECV (scooter) for your niece. I believe she is old enough to rent one. Check out the top of this disABILITIES board for more info on ECVc. The ECV would give your niece some flexibility without depending on someone else to push her in a wheelchair.

Also, remember that you all do not have to do everything at WDW in one trip :). It will depend on how your niece feels, how the small children hold up, etc. You do not have to be on the go constantly!

Wow, how great. I didn't know you had a whole site to disablilities.... I will have to read tonight when my girls are in bed. My girls are not huge riders, we do alot of shows, so that is a plus. thanks so much!!

JudithM said:
Scootch, I am sorry to read about your niece's diagnosis - thoughts & prayers fro everyone involved.

I would suggest you all think about renting an ECV (scooter) for your niece. I believe she is old enough to rent one. Check out the top of this disABILITIES board for more info on ECVc. The ECV would give your niece some flexibility without depending on someone else to push her in a wheelchair.

Also, remember that you all do not have to do everything at WDW in one trip :). It will depend on how your niece feels, how the small children hold up, etc. You do not have to be on the go constantly!
::yes:: agree with everything Judith wrote.

If you didn't already find the information Judith was talking about, look for the disABILITIES FAQs thread stuck near the top of this board.

18 is the youngest age to rent an ecv. I think it would make your niece feel a lot more independent and less like she is depending on anyone else.
If she is using a wheelchair or ecv, she will not need a Guest Assistance Card, unless she has other needs that are not met by having an accessible entrance.

If she gets tired, she can go to First Aid in any of the parks and lie down for a while. We've always found that to be less trouble than actually leaving the park and going back to our resort. If she and someone else in your party both have either cell phones or walkie talkies, you can arrange to hook up later. Or, you can just arrange to meet up with her at First Aid at a certain time and see if she's ready to go on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter