Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

Just another bit of 'musing'....at one point in time schools told parents to keep kids home at the least sign of a communicable disease. But there came a time (after they changed the school attendance money criteria) that we were actually encouraged to bring our kids in sick for roll call then take them right home. The school no longer got their daily rate if a child was out sick.
I've been an elementary school teacher for 20 years and have worked at several different schools, and have never seen or heard of a school encouraging parents to bring sick kids in. Never.

What I have seen, regularly, is parents sending sick kids to school, not wanting to pick sick kids up from the nurse's office, not taking sick kids who have had to stay home for multiple days to a doctor for consultation & treatment, etc.

No, someone later posted a link verifying what I posted. I didn’t have the time right then to go looking for it. Thanks for thinking I made it up though.

No worries. Come back to it when you have time.

I wasn't intending to falsely accuse you, I just can't find that source or someone else later posting with the link. And I don't think we should make statements that sound like real statistics if they aren't actually real statistics. People might read it and think that it actually IS a real statistic. In that case we'd be better of stating it as our opinion, like "I don't think the flu is as dangerous as this novel coronavirus."

I wasn't intending to falsely accuse you, I just can't find that source or someone else later posting with the link. And I don't think we should make statements that sound like real statistics if they aren't actually real statistics. People might read it and think that it actually IS a real statistic. In that case we'd be better of stating it as our opinion, like "I don't think the flu is as dangerous as this novel coronavirus."
Click on the link for how deadly is it and and scroll down to the chart. On the chart you will see the fatality rate for seasonal flu is .1.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html#virulence

I believe they were referring to my post which was the post following their post.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-confirmed-in-oc.3788838/page-9#post-61508407

Statistics are a fickle thing. So many different ways to do calculations. The mortality data is based on the number of influenza-positive pneumonia cases (deaths/total cases=~7%). It was 7.4% for week 1, 7.0% for week 2, and 6.7% for week 3. Flu is very difficult to calculate the exact mortality rate because health professionals do not report positive flu tests to the Public Health Department. The only mandated deaths to be reported are pediatric patients, which is why we know exactly how many pediatric patients have died. (Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance: Based on National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance data available on January 30, 2020, 6.7% of the deaths occurring during the week ending January 18, 2020 (week 3) were due to P&I). The pneumonia reported is pneumonia due to influenza, not all pneumonias. People don’t die because they have the Flu, they die because it affects the lungs and can lead to pneumonia. This is why it is more common for infants and elderly to die.

If you were to take every estimated positive flu test and calculate the mortality rate, it would be extremely low. The mortality rate is typically calculated based on patients who require hospitalization due to influenza since there is no accurate way to determine the total number of cases of influenza. Everything posted was from data reported from the CDC and WHO. Nothing was calculated, and for anyone interested in more info feel free to check out the CDC and WHO sites.

Taken from there but then misstated. Your first post didn't say that the influenza case-fatality rate was only for cases that developed pneumonia. Agreed that it can be very difficult to estimate true overall case fatality (but it is done), but then you quote an estimate of overall case fatality for the corona virus (i.e. not limited only to cases that developed pneumonia) and pretend that it is a far comparison.

I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, but disagree with purposefully twisting the numbers (statistics aren't fickle - people's interpretation and misinterpretation of them are) to back it up.

I've been an elementary school teacher for 20 years and have worked at several different schools, and have never seen or heard of a school encouraging parents to bring sick kids in. Never.

What I have seen, regularly, is parents sending sick kids to school, not wanting to pick sick kids up from the nurse's office, not taking sick kids who have had to stay home for multiple days to a doctor for consultation & treatment, etc.

I'm glad it hasn't happened in your schools. But it did happen to me in our small, rural school. I was asked if I could bring my son in for attendance and then take him home (I didn't). And I wasn't the only parent this happened to.

That would be hard to do. Before we condemn this person, we have to consider she may not have known she was infected.

And if she should be charged with murder, what about the person who sends their child to schoo or goes to work or shoppingl with what is later diagnosed with the flu, who then infects someone else who cannot handle it and passes away? What about people who don't immunize and allow their child with chicken pox or whooping cough to expose another person who is immune compromised?
If a person knowing starts a fire in a national park during a burn ban and it leads to a wildfire that person can be charged. The legal consequences vary according to the jurisdiction. I think if a person chooses to not vaccinate (and they don't have any medical reasons not to) and they interact with the public while sick with an illness that can possibly be prevented with a vaccine and they start an outbreak then there should be consequences. I'm not sure what that should be though. People need to be held accountable for the consequences of their actions. Maybe then they would either vaccinate or voluntarily quarantine themselves. until they are well.

I've known many parents that were forced to send their sick kids to school or face fines and possibly even arrest. If the kids aren't at school, especially that first five minutes of roll call than the school doesn't get their money so they are *very* serious about pushing for kids not to miss school except in the most dire situations and especially if you don't have a doctor's note... which involves more cost and more time off work that a lot of parents I know are not able to manage.

I've known many parents that were forced to send their sick kids to school or face fines and possibly even arrest.
Our area, schools request you do not send your child to school within 24 hours of a fever or if your child has a cough. But everyone sends their kids to school ill. Parents don't want to have to take time off work to take care of their kids. SARB doesn't occur until more than 10 absences. In 2013, California choose to only pay for days when students are in class, where it used to be excused illness also got paid. So schools do want kids in class, but none I know say "Bring them ill, then take them home." But so many parents will send them. Flu is hitting our area heavily and one of the 3rd grade classes in my daughter's school had to send 7 students home as parents sent them to school with fevers. *1* class.....

I’m not wanting to get very political here, but as a mom to a young son, I just felt like I had to defend the working parent a bit :-) Unfortunately, it’s not always so easy for parents to keep their kids home, even though it should be. The United States is awful at supporting working families, while at the same time sporting a cost of living that requires two income households most of the time. Parents get very little paid sick leave, sometimes are not allowed to use sick leave for anyone but themselves, the FMLA is confusing, unpaid, and doesn’t apply to a lot of workers, and parents have to feed their children. So do some parents sometimes use school as “daycare” as one poster said? I’m sure they do, especially when it’s not clear whether that cough is just “daycare crud” or the start of a serious illness, because next week they still have a mortgage.

My son has been sick all week, with the flu, which we have pretty good evidence he caught from a classmate, even though he got a flu shot. My husband and I kept him out of actual daycare Monday through Friday, and we stayed home too in case we were carrying it. We worked as much as we could from home, but I’m on Hour 9 of working on Saturday to make up some of my lost time and probably have 4-5 hours left. DH will work tomorrow. And we are LUCKY because our jobs will grant us this flexibility; sadly, that is not the reality for many.

If a person knowing starts a fire in a national park during a burn ban and it leads to a wildfire that person can be charged. The legal consequences vary according to the jurisdiction. I think if a person chooses to not vaccinate (and they don't have any medical reasons not to) and they interact with the public while sick with an illness that can possibly be prevented with a vaccine and they start an outbreak then there should be consequences. I'm not sure what that should be though. People need to be held accountable for the consequences of their actions. Maybe then they would either vaccinate or voluntarily quarantine themselves. until they are well.

💯 this post.

Well, I don't know about the Corona Virus, but thanks for all the reminders to go get my flu shot! I'm considered high risk (age and asthma) and I always put it off.
I hadn’t heard that asthma increases susceptibility. I’m asthmatic but it’s well controlled. It’ll be hard to talk me out of visiting the park on Sundays. Fortunately, I’m not sick and have no signs or symptoms of being so.

I hadn’t heard that asthma increases susceptibility. I’m asthmatic but it’s well controlled. It’ll be hard to talk me out of visiting the park on Sundays. Fortunately, I’m not sick and have no signs or symptoms of being so.
I'm asthmatic too. One reason I get the flu shot. We aren't more susceptible, it is if we get it, we stand a higher chance of it going to pneumonia, thus higher chance of hospitals and death.

So schools do want kids in class, but none I know say "Bring them ill, then take them home."

I've not heard of that either, but I do know parents will send their kids even with a fever to school because at least if the school sends them home it won't be an issue and avoids the need for a doctor's visit just to get a note. I actually found it really refreshing to read on these forums many parents that are taking their kids out of school just for fun and the encouragement because I tell ya it seems like in my area unless you are dead you better get your hiney to school -no excuse! Add to that the fact that it really is the only affordable daycare for many who don't have the flexibility with their employment to be able to have kids at home... it's just really tough for a lot of parents I know. But there are definitely some that have no excuse of course... all the time I see parents bringing their little ones to events that have just tons of crud oozing out of them all over the place and when people complain they just say "oh it's just allergies.." and it's very obvious it's not allergies!

I'm glad it hasn't happened in your schools. But it did happen to me in our small, rural school. I was asked if I could bring my son in for attendance and then take him home (I didn't). And I wasn't the only parent this happened to.
I know in our state, a kid has to be there more than half the day, so that wouldn't work which is a good thing.

Being asthmatic puts you at a higher risk for complications such as pneumonia which can cause all kinds of problems. Just wash your hands frequently!!!! Especially after Buzz! 😷😷😷😷

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter