This is how we our country is perceived...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stop blaming the media for having an agenda? The media is who is supposed to be unbiased. To portray an accurate rendering of news and information. When a “news” outlet writes a story that is meant to inflame Instead of inform, the rubicon has been crossed. Shameful is what it is. That article was nothing more than propaganda. We should blame the media. Because they are to blame. And shame on all of us for believing what they spew.
TOTALLY AGREE!! 💯💯💯

Your argument is flawed. The CNN article made it an issue when none existed.

The Canadian document is a guide reminding travelers what they should remember to consider when visiting the US.

The CNN exagerated the publication to portray it as a warning to the LGBTQ community not to come to the States.
Not liking my argument (or perhaps not having an answer to it) is likely why you think it’s flawed.

Clearly, I wasn’t advocating that any media was right or wrong or does or does not have an agenda - you intentionally sidestepped the point.

Your reinterpretation of the “travel advice” ironically is precisely what all media spins in one direction or another - but a particular spin and certain media seems to be your bone of contention - interesting - but only supports my earlier “flawed” point as you put it.

Don’t be mad at me for calling it out - at least I chose to have a conversation versus judging others’ “moronic arguments”. The issue is the issue - not media’s portrayal of it no matter how badly we want to suppress or censor those opinions.

Without the laws and agenda behind it - there would be nothing for the media to cover. Own it. You can’t complain about “unfair” coverage when the actions themselves were made for media in the first place.

Last edited:
Let’s stop blaming the media for having an agenda? The media is who is supposed to be unbiased. To portray an accurate rendering of news and information. When a “news” outlet writes a story that is meant to inflame Instead of inform, the rubicon has been crossed. Shameful is what it is. That article was nothing more than propaganda. We should blame the media. Because they are to blame. And shame on all of us for believing what they spew.
The lawmakers making laws for political gain that may be viewed unfavorable by one group or another - are to blame - let’s not try and boo boo when someone wants to spin it a different way. It’s all fair game - because it’s all theater …

The lawmakers making laws for political gain that may be viewed unfavorable by one group or another - are to blame - let’s not try and boo boo when someone wants to spin it a different way. It’s all fair game - because it’s all theater …
Blaming lawmakers for making laws is silly. They have to make laws. Is there an agenda? There’s always an agenda. Is the agenda to win Re-election? Is it because you because in a certain policy? Is it to make a law that your constituents want? Who knows. But media outlets would do well to report what the actual legislation is and not give it stupid names and insult the intelligence of their readers to be able to decide for themselves if they agree with it or not. The world would be a better place if all media outlets told us the actual news instead of telling us a propagandized version of it. Maybe then we would see better elected officials because we would know the truth of what they really represent. It’s hard to see BS through a thunderstorm of BS.

So when I see this argument, where the “media” is concerned, is the suggestion that only one side should have a say? Otherwise, maybe we should be focusing on the issues themselves which precipitate the media coverage and not the coverage itself.
The suggestion is exactly the opposite. Only one side having a say is what we are getting now. Which side depends almost entirely on the outlet. The suggestion is that the news media should separate the news coverage from the editorializations.

Blaming lawmakers for making laws is silly. They have to make laws. Is there an agenda? There’s always an agenda. Is the agenda to win Re-election? Is it because you because in a certain policy? Is it to make a law that your constituents want? Who knows. But media outlets would do well to report what the actual legislation is and not give it stupid names and insult the intelligence of their readers to be able to decide for themselves if they agree with it or not. The world would be a better place if all media outlets told us the actual news instead of telling us a propagandized version of it. Maybe then we would see better elected officials because we would know the truth of what they really represent. It’s hard to see BS through a thunderstorm of BS.
Yea it’s all very silly - poor lawmakers (only of a certain variety) and bad media (only of a certain variety) - a big grand conspiracy - same blah blah over and over and only certain people know the difference between “right” and “wrong” - for everyone else.

No doubt, I am completely silly because I don’t ask and answer my own questions.

Indeed, The world could be a better place for a lot reasons - but sadly - not seeing a lot of focus there.

In this case, the “travel advice” is what it is - one group feels it’s necessary to call out, another group doesn’t think it should be called out or garner any attention, and a third group is completely indifferent. So how is that different from any other “major issue” on this planet right now?

So when I see this argument, where the “media” is concerned, is the suggestion that only one side should have a say? Otherwise, maybe we should be focusing on the issues themselves which precipitate the media coverage and not the coverage itself.
It is clear that you think I have a strong opinion on one side of this issue. Which is totally incorrect.

I think both groups should see this as exactly what it is - Advice about things to consider when traveling to the US.

People that think it is a call-out by the Canadians condmning some parts of the US for current antiLGBT laws are morons. People that think this is an unnecessary and overly 'woke' addition to the document are also morons.

Making any more comments about this thread will push me deeper into moron territory, so this is it for me.

The suggestion is exactly the opposite. Only one side having a say is what we are getting now. Which side depends almost entirely on the outlet. The suggestion is that the news media should separate the news coverage from the editorializations.
I don’t know which “we” and only one side you’re getting - seems to be there is no shortage of at least two sides railing on about something or another on a constant basis - and every influencer of along the political spectrum in between.

In terms of opinions and editorializing the “news”. Yes, wouldn’t that be grand - unfortunately, that horse left the barn a long long time ago, but to my original point - the fairness doctrine has long lapsed - yet we still blame the horse for leaving - when we left the barn door open.

So now what? Who gets to decide who the next barn keeper is - since apparently 300M+ people in the US shouldn’t be allowed or trusted (as another poster suggests) to choose what is presented or consumed on their own (at risk of being called morons by another poster).

Waxing philosophical on what “news” should be - isn’t a solution.

It is clear that you think I have a strong opinion on one side of this issue. Which is totally incorrect.

I think both groups should see this as exactly what it is - Advice about things to consider when traveling to the US.

People that think it is a call-out by the Canadians condmning some parts of the US for current antiLGBT laws are morons. People that think this is an unnecessary and overly 'woke' addition to the document are also morons.

Making any more comments about this thread will push me deeper into moron territory, so this is it for me.
Your strongest opinion seems to be that everyone, but you, is a moron.

As one poster suggested, we aren’t going to get to a nicer world with that attitude!

Yea it’s all very silly - poor lawmakers (only of a certain variety) and bad media (only of a certain variety) - a big grand conspiracy - same blah blah over and over and only certain people know the difference between “right” and “wrong” - for everyone else.

No doubt, I am completely silly because I don’t ask and answer my own questions.

Indeed, The world could be a better place for a lot reasons - but sadly - not seeing a lot of focus there.
Wait what? Who said anything about a certain variety of lawmakers? Or a certain variety of media? Or certain people knowing the difference between right and wrong? I said all lawmakers have an agenda. If you didn’t have an agenda I don’t know how anything could get done. Is the agenda going to be for the good of the American people? For their constituents? It depends on the politician. I agree that it’s a pie in the sky idea to have an unbiased media but that doesn’t make propaganda ok.

I actually thing most people know the difference between right and wrong and most people are closer on even polarizing issues than we think (except the fringes on both ends) but we are so entrenched into our corners (helped by the media) that we are unwilling or unable to see it. Make no mistake about who controls the messaging. And it’s not the politicians.

I don’t know which “we” and only one side you’re getting - seems to be there is no shortage of at least two sides railing on about something or another on a constant basis - and every influencer of along the political spectrum in between.

In terms of opinions and editorializing the “news”. Yes, wouldn’t that be grand - unfortunately, that horse left the barn a long long time ago, but to my original point - the fairness doctrine has long lapsed - yet we still blame the horse for leaving - when we left the barn door open.

So now what? Who gets to decide who the next barn keeper is - since apparently 300M+ people in the US shouldn’t be allowed or trusted (as another poster suggests) to choose what is presented or consumed on their own (at risk of being called morons by another poster).

Waxing philosophical on what “news” should be - isn’t a solution.
Maybe America should prioritise media literacy. Considering ours is one of the worst in the world.

Wait what? Who said anything about a certain variety of lawmakers? Or a certain variety of media? Or certain people knowing the difference between right and wrong? I said all lawmakers have an agenda. If you didn’t have an agenda I don’t know how anything could get done. Is the agenda going to be for the good of the American people? For their constituents? It depends on the politician. I agree that it’s a pie in the sky idea to have an unbiased media but that doesn’t make propaganda ok.

I actually thing most people know the difference between right and wrong and most people are closer on even polarizing issues than we think (except the fringes on both ends) but we are so entrenched into our corners (helped by the media) that we are unwilling or unable to see it. Make no mistake about who controls the messaging. And it’s not the politicians.
I am not going to get into the politics of it as I see you are trying to avoid as well which I appreciate.

We simply disagree on who/what is taking advantage of media most these days - regardless of sides. Call it agendas or politics driven behind the scenes and/or the public figureheads (that we call politicians) pushing the message. However, we (collectively) own and are stuck with the problem because our dollars directly or indirectly fund these enterprises. It’s a vicious circle of our own creation and arguably social media has only intensified it.

In the end, I do agree that we are very likely (as our most) within inches of each other on most issues and would be glad to buy you a dole whip of your choosing :)

You can be scared for a lot of reasons and none of the reasons have to be logical.

The point still stands. Nothing has been reported that has happened as a consequence of these laws. Therefore at this point these "travel advisories" are propaganda. Come back to me when you have actual evidence.

Thanks & you have a magical day as well! :tink:
Wait, are you telling us that a party is making laws that target certain groups not thinking they will ever be applied?
If what you're saying is true, then it's called propaganda: show the misogynists, the homophobics, the racists that you are one of them for political gain, even if the laws are so badly written that it's not even clear how and when they can be applied, because it's not really the aim of the law.
But then, what happens is that those people feel emboldened and then this happens:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ee/2023/sep/01/lgbtq-homophobia-rise-new-york

No, what I'm saying is that it is propaganda as nothing has happened yet to harm people. There is a lot of violence right now aimed at all groups because of the BLM defund the police rhetoric and crime is on the rise everywhere.
I do not understand you, sorry.
Do you think this law  could be applied, and then people are right to be worried. Being denied medical treatment can be humiliating/scary/harmful/deadly depending on how things go.

Or do you think it will never be applied, and then it's right-wing propaganda that embolden homophobes and transphobes?

One or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter