Thongs on CC Family Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

moinab

<font color=009966>That's M.O. in A.B.<br><font co
I inadvertently started an uproar on the smoking poll thread, so I felt responsible to give this topic its own thread. Last Saturday, when we were on CC (sigh,) we sat on the far end of the family beach. After we had been there a couple of hours, 2 young women and a young man sat down right next to us. One of the women was wearing a very skimpy bikini top over a very surgically enhanced chest and a thong. (Before anyone loses it, I don't have anything against cosmetic surgery or large-chests. I'm just trying to create a visual.) When we were looking over our vacation photos, I discovered a picture of my DD, with this woman's naked rear sticking up in the background. (No, it's not the picture below, so don't strain your eyes!)

I strongly believe this attire is inappropriate on a Disney family beach (which I would define to be a beach on which one would expect to find children, as opposed to the adults-only beach.) I was surprised to find that others see nothing wrong with this. On the beaches where I live, she could have been arrested for indecent exposure, but on the family beach at CC, apparently, anything goes. I really don't consider myself a prude, so I'd like to know how others feel about this.

I agree with you. There is a time and a place for everything. The CC family beach is not the place for a thong. I don't have a problem with thongs and skimpy bathing suits when worn at appropriate times, there should be no place for them on CC. Just my opinion.

Our family went to the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamnas. I consider this a family resort. I can't tell you how many thongs I saw on women, all shape and sizes, and every one of them looked ridiculous. Also, there were men in little bikinis which looked equally ridiculous. We also saw a women sun bathing topless on the beach. I agree with you, I don't think it is appropriate attire, but it is considered a bathing suit so I don't think there is much that can be done.

One thing to remember is that not all cruisers are from the US. Although I agree that this seems inappropriate at CC, there are many people who cruise DCL that are from other countries around the world. They may have thought they were very conservative in their dress from what is their normal beach wear. Just ask anyone who has been to Orient Beach on St. Maarten on the Eastern Magic.

Just my thoughts.

woody64

I didn't see the picture (sadly, I was in New Jersey visiting with my inlaws and not on CC last Saturday), and I wouldn't wear a thong anywhere, ever (as no middle-aged woman of my size and condition should). However, don't forget that Castaway Cay is not part of the United States but is subject to Bahamian law.

Foreign citizens, and people who have lived in foreign countries, frequently have very differing ideas of what is proper dress for any occasion, as well as differing ideas of behavior, personal space, etc. I have no idea where the "thong lady" was from, of course, so she may very well have been my next-door neighbor!

With that said, it's your choice to feel uncomfortable around people for whatever reason, and that doesn't make you a prude. The thong wouldn't have bothered me, but the smoking would. I would simply have moved my family, because I would have been the one with the problem.

I know not everyone agrees with me on this, but you did ask for opinions, and that's mine, from a middle-aged, middle-class American female perspective. Other opinions will vary--and that's what makes America great!

Beth

I realize that other countries have different standards, and, in fact, these 3 people were speaking English with foreign accents. Other countries have different standards regarding tipping, as well, but DCL states the tipping policy (suggested tipping guidelines) in the documents that all passengers receive.

You bring up an interesting point about CC being a Bahamian Island, but I would think that DCL would have a right to set policies for CC. I'm not suggested that someone wearing a thong should be prosecuted, only that DCL set suggested attire guidelines. If someone can be asked to leave Palo for wearing a Hawaiian shirt, you should be able to politely suggest that someone wearing a thong go to the adults-only beach. Because there is no policy, I did not feel I had a right to say anything, and we chose to leave the area instead.

Also, I just want to be clear that I don't have a problem with someone wearing a thong, except in a situation like this, on a Disney beach, where you would expect large numbers of children. Does anyone know if the WDW resorts have any policies on this matter?

Thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming!:D

If someone can be asked to leave Palo for wearing a Hawaiian shirt, you should be able to politely suggest that someone wearing a thong go to the adults-only beach.
When did this happen? I must have missed this thread! I've read posts from people who have posted seeing diners wearing shorts and t-shirts in Palo.
Also, I just want to be clear that I don't have a problem with someone wearing a thong, except in a situation like this, on a Disney beach, where you would expect large numbers of children. Does anyone know if the WDW resorts have any policies on this matter?
I don't believe there is a swimsuit policy at the Disney Resorts, theme parks, or water parks for that matter. There was a thread on one of the other forums regarding the wearing of thongs at the water parks and whether or not it was appropriate.

they have a suggested attire for the dining areas and some people don't abide by those and they seem to be not enforced what makes you think a suggested attire for the beach is any different.

I can't remember which thread it was on, but someone wrote that the people waiting in line to be seated in Palo were asked to leave because the man was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts.

I don't see a problem with this. It's just a body, everyone has one. I try to teach my 3 children it's simply a question being comfortable with who you are, and that beauty can be appreciated in many forms without being "risque". You're on a beach, people are obviously going to be in their bathing suits, as skimpy as they may be. If I had a body that I felt comfortable wearing something like that on the beach, I probably would.

LoL... that being said, I'm not sure that I'd feel the same way if you would have painted the image of a size 22 woman such as myself wearing the same thing. My husband and I frequently find ourselfs commenting that "Just because they make it in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it."

Sometimes, there's just no accounting for taste.

Maybe on my next DCL cruise I should wear a thong to Palo and see what happens!:smooth:

I try to teach my 3 children it's simply a question being comfortable with who you are, and that beauty can be appreciated in many forms without being "risque".

I like your attitude, Willowwind!:D

Having been guilty of "fanning the flames" on the smoking thread ( for which I am sorry:( ) I will try and restate my point without offending.

I feel that if it a swimsuit by definition it should not be banned from a beach. If you are by someone and they are dressed in a way YOU find inappropriate YOU should find somwhere else on the beach. The island is under DCL lease but is still under the government of the Bahamas . I do not profess to know the laws in the Bahamas so I will not comment on those. But I feel that trying to get DCL to change dress codes on a beach, other than making sure everyone WEARS a swimsuit, is a form of censorship. Where do we draw the line next? What happens if the next FAMILY is on the beach in full coverage swimsuit yet have tattoos of naked people on their bodies? Should they be made to wear MORE clothing? What about someone is reading a magazine that another finds offensive should DCL then start censoring what people read on the beach?

Once again I will apologize for inflaming the smoking thread. It was not intentional.

Steve

First the formalities... I too apologize -especially to you Steve for my own flame fanning... Somtimes I tend to become over passionate.... sorry.

I actually, believe it or not, agree with Steve to some extent. If it actually is a bathing suit Disney probably can't do anything about it. And telling someone they can not wear it would be unfair censorship. Do I personally feel it is in bad taste at the family beach-yes. But should the person be barred from the beach,,, no that is a bit much. What if they only had that one bathing suit with them? Would I find it rude for a thong wearer (male or female, fat or skinny) to be strutting around the Micky pool ? Yes but I would just tell my son (who at almost 11 would be quite giggly about it I'm sure) that is someone's idea of class, not mine.
Steve is right that if it is an actual suit then who is to account for bad taste or lack of discression? Then should everyone who is too fat to wear a bikini be told to get a one piece?
I do disagree on one part though..

Originally posted by fireplug
What about someone is reading a magazine that another finds offensive should DCL then start censoring what people read on the beach?
Steve

If someone was sitting on the family beach reading Huster or the likes I think that should be censored. They could feel free to read that in their cabin or on the adult beach but I certainly would not want someone reading that type of material and then romping in the water with my child.

But I feel that trying to get DCL to change dress codes on a beach, other than making sure everyone WEARS a swimsuit, is a form of censorship.

Ok, I'm beginning to see the futility of a CC beach dress code. I'm not sure, in this case, however, that I see it as a form of censorship. How is it different than the suggested attire for the dining rooms? Is that also considered censorship, to ask people to be respectful of others by not wearing shorts or jeans to dinner in the restaurants? Of course, as has been mentioned, this is routinely ignored.

If you are by someone and they are dressed in a way YOU find inappropriate YOU should find somwhere else on the beach.

As previously mentioned, this is exactly what we did. Actually, we just left and went back to the ship.

I think I understand where you are coming from though, that everyone is going to find something by which s/he is offended. But don't you think common courtesy is in decline, in general, and that, in addition to all the people who are being overly sensitive, so many people are finding offense because so many people are being offensive?

I'd have to state that it would not be possible for anyone to ban what someone else thought was offensive. That would open a huge can of worms. I think fat men in speedos should be banned, but that is just my opinion. If I was offended by anyone/anything, I would just have to pick up my towel/chair and move elsewhere.

I'd have to state that it would not be possible for anyone to ban what someone else thought was offensive.

Children are banned from Serenity Bay, the adults-only beach.

The family beach is the only beach available on CC for children to use. For the record, I wasn't suggesting a ban, just guidelines, but I've have since come to realize it wouldn't be feasible.

It just occured to me that since there are no guidelines, what is to keep someone from going topless, or nude, for that matter? I don't believe there is any actual swimsuit requirement. Can anyone correct me on this? Please?

BTW, it's official. I'm a prude. Yikes!:(

D'oh! Before I get flamed, I better make it clear that I think Serenity Bay is a brilliant concept. I think it's great that Disney created a space for adults who don't want to be surrounded by children.

I have no idea how often it happens, but I did hear several people talking about a woman who was topless (on the far end of the family beach) when we were there last September. I know that is an accepted norm in other parts of the world, but I really didn't expect it on CC.

Let me get this straight, you didn't like what someone was wearing on the beach, so you packed up and went back to the ship? Isn't that sort of like cutting of your nose to spite your face? The thong person was still enjoying the beach while you were not. That means that if we go into the dinning room and don't like the way someone is dressed, maybe that dress is a little too low in the front for a family vacation, that we should go back to the room and order room service? Come on, everyone paid the same for their vacation and should be allowed to dress the way they want WHEN THERE IS NO DRESS CODE. How many were offended by this, or just didn't want their husbands looking?

I think a lot of this is personal comfort (and, no, I'm not talking about the personal comfort of having a string up your ...rear). When we were at Cocoa Beach, there were thongs everywhere. When we were at Palm Springs, thongs everywhere. Heck, even at Santa Monica or Malibu, you will get a "wide" selection of thongs. You will even see the "topless" women (the ones who don't want the lines on her back) and when she gets up - well, there's a bit of a show while she puts her top back on. Anyway, all I'm saying is there are a lot worse things than thongs. To be honest, from what I've seen on the Disney Cruise is sometimes there are those who have the swimsuit 'going for a ride up the ...' if you know what I mean and how is that different from the thong (at least until they pull that 'wedgy' out). I've seen older "gentlemen" in tight speedos showing some exposed grays and shrivelled ...things. Now that can be considered gross and should it be banned? I just don't see any way at all for DCL to police this issue. Too many gray areas :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter