TR May 2010-An Aussie's Journey - California Here we Come

Hi there! I'll be @ WDW from May 1-8th and am planning on being at the Cinco de Mayo meet, so I thought I'd stop by and get to know you. :wave2:

Your plans sound great! I'd love to be able to take a long trip like that. :thumbsup2

On the quick service dining plan I'll just reiterate what Katie said, the portion size and options available aren't very good for kids. My youngest DS is 9 and he complained all week about having to order from the kids menu. I honestly didn't pay much attention to whether or not the CS credits were pooled. Hopefully they will be and that will solve that problem!

On your TH breakfast, I know it's already booked, but you mentioned that many in your party aren't early risers. Why don't you think about doing a late breakfast, say around 10 and just hit the park early and get the big rides in before you eat? Whichever you do, I think you'll enjoy TH, we ate there in December and thought it was great!

I knew there was something else that I wanted to comment on, but couldn't remember what it was. It just hit me - you mentioned that you wanted to find a quiet hotel on South Beach. I've been there twice, and I honestly don't think that exists. Lots of bars and nightclubs in that area. It might not be too bad for just one night though.

Your plans look great so far!
Thanks KC. Been keeping up with your thread too...yours looks fantastic as well.

cdotla: Hoping on!
SoonerGirl: Hi there! I'll be @ WDW from May 1-8th and am planning on being at the Cinco de Mayo meet, so I thought I'd stop by and get to know you.
Woo Hoo:banana: Welcome to my thread. Thanks for hopping on. Hope to see you both at the Tequila Cave.

SoonerGirl: On the quick service dining plan I'll just reiterate what Katie said, the portion size and options available aren't very good for kids
DH and I debated this for a long time before we decided to bite the bullet and purchase the plan. We figured that we'd be ahead just on snacks alone for DS and we could share our meals with DS. In any event, because we're doing a split stay, we'll only be on the QSDP for 5 nights. After that, we'll go OOP as a comparison. If Katie is right, I'll be celebrating!! Oh well, time will tell and I'm sure this will give us something to talk about at the Cinco de Mayo meet.

WARNING: A little off-track for WDW planning thread; but this is about my plans for getting to the World.

So we have purchased our flights from Melbourne Australia to LA and are still debating what we should do in LA. We're thinking of spending a day in Catalina but plans are really fluid for this part of the trip as we have the jetlag thing to consider. We're looking for accommodation - either around Long Beach or LAX. Recommendations gratefully welcomed! I might post a thread in the California section of the board later. I've tried to see if DH would contemplate staying around Anaheim for this leg and he's not keen on this :sad1: I'm not fussed about not locking anything in at the moment as there is always plenty of rooms around LAX, which is our fallback position. I have to get a US phone whilst in LA, so some shopping is on the cards. DH still has his prepaid SIM card from last time and will use my old phone. I've just acquired a new i-phone but am not planning on using this in the US. It will cost me a fortune to unlock the phone so that I can roam to a different carrier in the US. The alternative is to pay a fortune for intercarrier charges. My prepaid SIM from the last trip went to a friend of mine, who used it for his trip. Unfortunately, when he returned it to me, I've put it somewhere "safe" but can't find it now. So, a trip to Target, Best Buys, Frys or anywhere that sells a prepaid phone is high on the agenda.

We have also locked in our flights from LA to Miami. We have 2 nights to plan for around Miami. We're hiring the car out of Miami airport and I'm thinking that we should head down towards Florida City or Homestead for 1 night. It's about 45 minutes drive from Miami Airport and this will mean that we can hit the Everglade National Park really early in the morning and spend a full day there. We're down to two possible motel options - Hampton Inn and Suites in Homestead ($129 per night) or the Travelodge in Florida City ($77 per night). I'm keen on the Travelodge to save some $$ and DH prefers the HI because it's newer (and cleaner). Both come with breakfast. Happy for thoughts and comments on this one.

On the second night, I had originally thought about staying in SoBe proper. But as SoonerGirl has pointed out, there is no such thing as a quiet hotel in this part of the world. I've been hunting around and have earmarked the Grand Beach Hotel, Miami Beach as a front runner. This one seem to be about $175 - $215 per night, plus $25 for valet parking. Happy for thoughts and comments on this one too. I figured that it will be a very long time before I'm back in this part of the world, so I might as well experience the Atlantic Ocean in some degree of style. :cool2:

DH and I will probably wait another week or so; but unless my reseach :surfweb: pulls up anything else in Miami Beach area, I'm going to lock in the GB Hotel.

We'll hit SoBe from this base and hopefully find it quieter around Miami Beach at night. SoonerGirl - if you have any recommendations for good restaurants in SoBe, let me know.

On the 4th, we'll start driving up towards Melbourne Florida and Orlando. I was looking at the Florida map and thinking that we could head up the A1A for a bit (just to check out the scenery) and then head towards the 91 or the 95. We'll eventually take the 95 to Melbourne Florida and check it out. I'll have to get some photos of us in the town.

I plan to drive up towards the 528 and head straight for the World, using the 417. Check into POR and then work out where the rest of the family is.

The extended family have finally booked accommodation and are staying at a nice off site within 5 mile radius of the World. They will have the 2 bedroom and living room to spread out in.

I can't recommend hotels in LA or Long Beach as we always stay with my brother or sister, but I can recommend a visit to the Long Beach Aquarium. It is really excellent. We always fly in and out of Long Beach and when we land, I usually take the kids right to the aquarium, instead of trudging up to LA right away. We always really enjoy it, especially petting the stingrays and sharks!

For a Hotel in LA, I would HIGHLY recommend the London West Hollywood Hotel. It is amazing! The rooms are Fabulous!!!

And the rooftop pool and bar are amazing!

Gordon Ramsay's restaurant is right on site, which is delish!

The location of the Hotel is prime. There is a double-decker tour bus that takes you all around the city picking up right outside your door.

The hotel is right beside the Viper Club (where River Phoenix died) and Whisky-A-Go-Go.

The rates are pretty good, especially if you look for their online specials. I booked one of their top suites for about $240 a night in September. And they have free long distance calling to the UK. (Unfortunately not to Australia though!)

kangaand2roos: I can recommend a visit to the Long Beach Aquarium.
Thanks! I've added to the to-do list. Depending on how we feel, we may well hit the aquarium.

cdotla: London West Hollywood Hotel
I googled. WOW! Looks fantastic. Unfortunately, I have already booked in the Residence Inn at Long Beach - kinda figured that if I wanted to go to Catalina Island that I should stay over there and give myself a shot of making a ferry. Next time we're staying in LA, I'm definitely booking in...and making a ressie for the Ramsay restaurant.

TokyoDina: I only go to SD
I love SD. I have an aunt that stays in San Marcos and we visit her quite regularly.

On your TH breakfast, I know it's already booked, but you mentioned that many in your party aren't early risers. Why don't you think about doing a late breakfast, say around 10 and just hit the park early and get the big rides in before you eat? Whichever you do, I think you'll enjoy TH, we ate there in December and thought it was great!

Ohhh...SoonerGirl. Thanks for the thought. Checked with extended family...They are happy to try make the 8:10 am ressie. Let you know how it went in my post trip report :)

Thanks! I've added to the to-do list. Depending on how we feel, we may well hit the aquarium.

I googled. WOW! Looks fantastic. Unfortunately, I have already booked in the Residence Inn at Long Beach - kinda figured that if I wanted to go to Catalina Island that I should stay over there and give myself a shot of making a ferry. Next time we're staying in LA, I'm definitely booking in...and making a ressie for the Ramsay restaurant.

I love SD. I have an aunt that stays in San Marcos and we visit her quite regularly.

You know the world is really small, when you see or hear things like this! My husband grew up in San Macros and then moved to Chula Vista! Wow that's crazy! I think that's where we want to retire when we are of age. :P

I've been working on what I want to do during the second week of our trip and have decided to keep the park thing free and easy. I figure we will want to visit each park at least twice and will refer to my "must do" list to see what I haven't hit and then go back to finish it off.

For this part of the trip, we're moving to BCV. :dance3:
It will be nice to wake up and be able to walk to HS or Epcot if we feel like it. The down side is that we won't be on a dining plan; so all meals will be OOP after today.

Sun 9 May – Move into BCV. Hang out by the pool. Possibly visit MK as it has EMH.
Breakfast – POR foodcourt (S #8)
Lunch – ESPN ?? (CS #9)
Dinner – TBC (CS #10)
Snacks – Beaches and Cream (S #9); Epcot Boulangerie (S #10)

Mon 10 May Park TBC
Breakfast – Cape May Breakfast (ADR, YAY!!!)
Lunch – TBC
Dinner – TBC
I expect that Breakfast will be one of the highlights of the trip. We're doing this one "just us"; and not with the extended family.

Tue 11 May Park TBC
Breakfast – In our BCV
Lunch – TBC
Dinner – Les Chef (ADR, YAY!!).
I expect that dinner will be one of the highlights of today. We will be having dinner with DB and DGF. DP will be looking after the kids.
Post dinner entertainment SAB DisMeet. A bunch of us are planning a DisMeet. Hope to see you there....Info contained in this link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2404795
And if we are still standing after the cocktails, we might kick on either at Jelly Rolls or the DanceHall.

On the subject of DisMeets, there's one planned for the 5 May. Info here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2403199

I figure that the DisMeets are going to be one of the highlights of the trip!!

Wed 12 May Whatever I feel like day. Might do some shopping, might go to a park, might go see Fantasmic.

Thu 13 May MY BIRTHDAY

After much deliberation, I decided that I really wanted to do an Illuminations Cruise. My family wanted to go somewhere for dinner; but I thought that I could go out for dinner anytime in any city of the world. This would be something that we would all remember for a long time. I know - I left it rather late to make a booking. I thought I would give it a shot anyway and to my utter shock and surprise, two months out from the date, I managed to get a pontoon. Here's hoping for good weather and that the show goes on. Otherwise, we're having a nice cruise on the lake.

Fri 14 May Departure day.
All good things have to come to an end; else we would never be able to know a good thing from a bad. :sad2:

We will fly back to LAX and spend a few days with my aunt in San Diego (shopping). And then back to Melbourne where I will probably spend some time dreaming about this holiday, writing my post trip report and lurking about the DisBoard, reading your reports....

Enjoying your PTR! I'll be at BWI with my DS(9) 5/5 to 5/12. Celebrating my birthday 5/6.party: I don't we will arrive early enough for the 5/5 Epcot meet and I'm not sure what we'll be doing our last night.

Your plans sound great. I'm sure you'll LOVE the Illuminations Cruise. I did it once and it was awesome!!!!

Just a little tip for either 5/5 or 5/12-I have found that Wednesdays tend to be very good days for low crowds at MK.:thumbsup2

OH...and I too am on the great bag search!:laughing: I just ordered a small backpack for me. I'm going to get my DS a waistpack with water bottle holder from www.disneyshopping.com but was hoping I could get some sort of discount or free shipping or something on it. I may just go ahead and order it. It is "only" $19.99 so even a 25% discount would "only" be $5 so maybe I should just order it and not worry about getting it in time. Then I would also have time to make any alterations if needed to fit my DS.

You know the world is really small, when you see or hear things like this! My husband grew up in San Macros and then moved to Chula Vista! Wow that's crazy! I think that's where we want to retire when we are of age. :P

Great part of the world to retire in. It seems like a great community. PM'd you as I think there is a chance your husband may know my cousins...

Enjoying your PTR!
Hey LovesDumbo. Welcome to my PTR and thanks!

Celebrating my birthday 5/6.party:
Happy Birthday!:bday:

I don't we will arrive early enough for the 5/5 Epcot meet
Bummer.
BWI with my DS(9) 5/5 to 5/12
There's a DisMeet at SAB on the 11th...TinkerbellInLouisianna has this posted up and I have the link in my #10 post. Maybe you could pitch up for this one.

Wednesdays tend to be very good days for low crowds at MK.:thumbsup2
Excellent! Thanks for the tip.

OH...and I too am on the great bag search!:laughing: I just ordered a small backpack for me.
I so need to hit the shops when I arrive in LA. I'm thinking of heading to the Farmer's Market/Grove after we clear customs and get our car hire.

My countdown in now under 8 weeks til I step on a jet plane and is under 2 months to getting to the World. Even DH (who is the sea of tranquility) is getting excited.

I've spent the last 3 months scheming and planning this World trip and I think I've managed to hit the right balance of schedule and "going with the flow" for my family. We've organised our:
  • plane tickets - long haul and internal
  • accommodation
  • car hire
  • ADRs
  • Quick Service places we'd like to eat at
  • tickets
  • park plans for "must do" attractions
  • rough schedule for which parks to do on which dates
  • joined in with 2 DisMeets
I've gotten my "lime green" accessories (bag tag and a scarf) worked out.
I've even finished my internal debate about the perfect bag for the World.

I don't think I need to do very much more other than watch that countdown tick on down.:yay:

Now, I'm bored. B-O-R-E-D....

BORED.:confused3

That's always a dangerous feeling for me.:eek:

So - I'm starting to look at the other theme parks in Orlando. To date, I've refused to even think about Disney Cheating....but that B-O-R-E-D feeling just won't go away.
I don't need to go to SeaWorld or Dolly Parton world or WEt n Wild or Discovery Cove or Busch Gardens. I don't even need to go to Universal.

BUT....DH and I are huge Harry Potter fans. And the allure of Harry Potter World will be too much for us and I know I'm going to Disney Cheat. :scared1:
If there is even a sniff of a chance that it will be opened in early May, we are planning to fight our way in with the crowds.

Is anyone else thinking the same as me?

Whoo hoo! The final countdown is on!

Sounds like everything has come together really well! You are much more organized at this point than me!

Fortunately no one in my family has any familiarity with Harry Potter, so at least we won't be tempted to visit there as that is not in the budget this trip!

Don't worry - your trip will be here before you know it!;)

Sounds like you're pretty well organized!

As for HP, we are not fans in this house, so temptation for us. My kids love thrill rides though, so I know the day will come when we have to venture over to Universal/IOA, but so far I've been able to hold off.

We are HP fans, too, so I went through the same dilemma. We are not getting a car, though, so that pretty much means we are staying on Disney property the whole time. Plus, I don't think it's going to be open in May, which makes the decision easy! :lmao: Even if it is, we won't go, but this gives me an excuse to plan another trip to Orlando sometime soon!!! :banana:

If I had time I would cheat on Disney too! But we don't have the time....:( I love HP so much so I've always done reading the entire series for the third. Maybe that's not as much as some but that speaks a lot for me.

Thanks for all your views. Well, for the moment, it's a moot point. I'll re-evaluate again when/if US decides on an "official" opening date.

kcandbella: this gives me an excuse to plan another trip to Orlando sometime soon!!!
You're so lucky to be able to do this. I'm not sure how I'm going to convince DH for another Orlando trip - not when there is still so much more of the rest of the world (pardon the pun) that we want to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter