TR-Mission:Exploration of new worlds by Capt’n Wrongway Wendy-Complete

Destination 2: Paris

Stardate: Monday May 13.

Captains Log:

Departure Sunday 23.55. Warp drive failed so we had to use our engines, therefore arrived at destination around 7.15am Monday. Meals not as good as on the Bris-Singapore leg (smoked salmon with pasta entrée with Chinese BBQ pork for me and a chicken option for DH-meat was very chewy-I can’t eat smoked salmon but DH said it wasn’t very nice either). Also much slacker service - memo slack crew members to be allocated red shirts and assigned to next landing party ;) . Time passed quite fast watching Game of Thrones eps (can any more fantasy clichés be crammed into one show?) and catching up on movies like Oz the Great and Powerful, Looper and the Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Immigration processing beat the world speed record, bags arrived promptly (having been checked straight through from Brisbane - always fearful when we have had a 24 hour + stopover inbetween) and it was easy to follow the directions and catch the shuttle from T1 to T2F and the VEA Disbus. A frisson of excitement could only be shared with Duffy as the Captain has to maintain composure at all times but I am sure I saw my First Officer twitching in anticipation too. Paris was a wet, cold 13C in comparison to 32-33C Singapore. We hovered inside the terminal until the last moment to run to the bus and avoid getting soaked. More sensible explorers were garbed in anoraks and raincoats. The bus left 30 mins late but it was a pleasant relaxing way to arrive at Disneyland Paris without having to worry about remembering rather rusty, alien language skills and we were checking in by 11am. As befitting important representatives of Starfleet (cough cough), we were advised that our room was ready so we could have a hot shower and dig out warm, wet weather gear at leisure rather than filling in time til 3pm.

We are staying at Hotel Cheyenne, one of the lowest tier hotels (akin to a value at WDW) with an American western movie theme. Our room is on the ground floor in Annie Oakley (accommodation is spread out in two storey blocks which we soon found made for very quiet surrounds). Our room doesn’t have the additional double bunks that are standard here and as the bathroom is oversize with grab bars, I take it this is a disabled room. Annie Oakley is perfect, half way between reception and the Chuck Wagon café for breakie and the path along the river to the parks and downtown.

Some pics of the entrance, the surrounds and our room.

We soon headed off to find lunch, walking beside the river to Disney Village. Santa Fe is across the river from Cheyenne and Sequoia is further along and also fronts the lake.

I liked this corner of Cheyenne

Here is a pic of Newport Bay Club at the end of the lake:

and Hotel New York nearest the Village

Lunch was at the Earl of Sandwich. Sat upstairs in the lovely themed room. DH had a Hawaiian set with crisps and drink and I had the Full Montague with a coffee. Delish!

It seems we never ended up snapping any shots of Disney Village (??) other than of the announcement of the Wild West Show. They had a Rainforest Café and one of the few remaining Planet Hollywoods and a Bavarian-themed restaurant/bar King Ludwig’s Castle amongst a range of eateries and various shops including a World of Disney.

Then we entered Disneyland. Like Tokyo Disney entry is through the grand Disneyland Hotel. I regret, despite good intentions, we never ended up finding time to explore inside as from pics it looks magnificent.

This pic is taken a different day but shows an example of the forecourt between Disney Village and Disneyland where there are lots of gardens with streams before the large pond and flower bed.

There is also a sculpture to the Disney legends, which says it honours the many individuals whose work has made a significant and lasting impact on the Disney legacy.

Entering the park proper under the railway station. Have to capture this.

Try as we might we could not manage to snap a pic that wasn’t blurry of the brief second the star at the tip of Tink’s wand lights up.

As we walked into Main St the anniversary celebration train was approaching which was a perfect welcome.

Continued next post

Monday Disneyland arrival continued

And here we are. I like the contrast of the pink castle against the dark clouds and apparently that is why they painted it pink.

Ticking off castle number 4

These billboards each featuring different characters are everywhere.

Since this afternoon was about wandering around rather than riding while we were sleep-deprived and dazed we decided to explore the castle. Upstairs is a walk through with lovely stained glass and tapestries telling the story of Sleeping Beauty whose castle this is. Little touches include sentries that snore and a glass picture that changes scenes. The tapestries were woven by one of the oldest tapestry-weavers in France.

View from the exterior balcony (Its a Small World peeping in the distance):

Then we headed down under the castle to

And here she is. She is gorgeous and I think every Disney castle needs one.

Next we wandered into Fantasyland proper and was amazed-it was so quiet. Most things were a walk-on, the rain had stopped and the sun came out-oh not to be sooo tired. We rode Snow White (or Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains as it is properly called here)

Exploring the land we came across this cute stand (the enchanted tree) with all types of fruit growing off it.

And of course the fountain.

As well as Cinderella’s carriage in the courtyard of Auberge de Cendrillon.

Ah but you don't have to upload them :rolleyes:

Great pictures Wendy. Keep loading them. :rotfl2:

Nice to see your quarters in the new world. And I love the pink castle against that dark and story sky. Sure looks like it could be a black hole above the castle.

That castle is gorgeous!

Only one more castle to go for you (until Shanghai opens). I hope you knock it over soon. :thumbsup2

ps. That Enchanted Tree is straight out of Enid Blyton!

Final part 3 of Monday Disneyland day of arrival

Pinocchio was down for refurb and we don’t do swirling Tea Cups. There was a bit of a queue for Peter Pan and Dumbo of course so saved them for EMH tomorrow.

As I had read sometimes Alice’s Curious Labyrinth (maze) is shut and it was open, in we went.

Oh no-don’t follow Capt’n Wrongway.

In Tulgey Wood:

As the Cheshire cat says
“Only a few find the way, some don't recognise it when they do - some... don't ever want to.”

At the centre of the maze. Unfortunately we couldn’t understand what most of the characters (except the Queen) were saying to us!

Views over Fantasyland. (NB. This maze is huge-it just kept going and going..)

Also saw the Railroad engine which we rode another day.

Taken a different day but the Mad Hatters Tea party nearby

The Old Mill, planned by Walt for Disneyland but never built.

Just behind this area we came across Le Pays des Contes de Fees-originally I thought we were in the queue for the circus train around the area but turned out we were in the boat line. Never mind. Some pics of some of the miniature scenes. This was the first time we came across rubbish spoiling the magic-plastic water bottles floating in the water beside the dioramas.

Decided it was time for a new land so we walked through into Adventureland. This is a huge space with lots of different pathways leading to and from Adventure Isle and to Pirates and Indiana Jones (which is a roller coaster here like Japan).

A ride on Pirates was compulsory and we decided it felt longer than the US rides and was good - no Pirates of the Caribbean movie overlay but like Anaheim has an intro area past the restaurant Blue Lagoon - but not as good as the Blue Bayou swamp, so still find Disneyland (Anaheim’s) the best.

Saved exploring Adventure Isle for a day when we weren’t too tired and will include pics of this area in a later post. Next door in Frontierland Big Thunder Mountain was only a 10 minute wait, but no, I was feeling too goddam’ dizzy with tiredness. We gave in and walked out through an empty entry plaza, across in front of Marnee le Vallee train station and found our bus rather than walk back to the hotel (actually by the time you get to the bus you have almost walked the distance to the hotel I am sure).

I had rented a kettle from reception (free with deposit) but was dismayed to find the little shop had absolutely no supplies like milk. So based on tips I had read, tromped over the river on one of the cute bridges and up through Santa Fe (Mexican theme, lots of cacti, 3 storey blocks and seemed much more cramped and larger and noisier than Cheyenne), out their gates and over to the next-door petrol station with a very good minimart.

(A not very good pic of the entrance only as didn’t have a camera each time I bolted through to the service station)

Stocked up on water (our tums are used to tank water and changing water anywhere upsets us so we tend to stick to bottled which doesn’t as much), milk, chocolate biscuits and various others essentials and I staggered home where DH was almost asleep. A nice cup of tea (ever prepared I brought supplies of tea, coffee, sugar and instant noodles with us), sun shining in and 7pm-ish we crashed asleep-such a waste!

Captn’s Log Highlights and Lowlights: DLP exceeds expectations, locals appear friendly, lots of unique experiences. Major high: we got straight into our room. Only lows: being too tired to make the most of zero crowds and sunshine.

Great pics.

I particularly love the look of your Western style hotel. I have a soft spot for theming and (value or not) that hotel looks really cool.

Monday Disneyland arrival continued

And here we are. I like the contrast of the pink castle against the dark clouds and apparently that is why they painted it pink.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...010015_10200195224108735_859972467_n.jpg.html

Ticking off castle number 4

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g.../19885_10200195223308715_634827705_n.jpg.html

These billboards each featuring different characters are everywhere.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...17247_10200195297910580_1757591797_n.jpg.html

Since this afternoon was about wandering around rather than riding while we were sleep-deprived and dazed we decided to explore the castle. Upstairs is a walk through with lovely stained glass and tapestries telling the story of Sleeping Beauty whose castle this is. Little touches include sentries that snore and a glass picture that changes scenes. The tapestries were woven by one of the oldest tapestry-weavers in France.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...02087_10200195298950606_1595352293_n.jpg.html

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...43928_10200195298830603_1202383490_n.jpg.html

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...044257_10200195298550596_828711970_n.jpg.html

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...82494_10200195299310615_1379779901_n.jpg.html

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...01447_10200195299710625_2128416964_n.jpg.html

View from the exterior balcony (Its a Small World peeping in the distance):

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g.../10167_10200195299910630_993082658_n.jpg.html

Then we headed down under the castle to

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...s/7893_10200195297830578_478529846_n.jpg.html

And here she is. She is gorgeous and I think every Disney castle needs one.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...16631_10200195297550571_1969989755_n.jpg.html

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...95044_10200195298230588_1838556000_n.jpg.html

Next we wandered into Fantasyland proper and was amazed-it was so quiet. Most things were a walk-on, the rain had stopped and the sun came out-oh not to be sooo tired. We rode Snow White (or Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains as it is properly called here)

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...02714_10200195455274514_1246586920_n.jpg.html

Exploring the land we came across this cute stand (the enchanted tree) with all types of fruit growing off it.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...994811_10200195455634523_670919681_n.jpg.html

And of course the fountain.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...043865_10200195456314540_429455064_n.jpg.html

As well as Cinderella’s carriage in the courtyard of Auberge de Cendrillon.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/g...02230_10200195455594522_1215379417_n.jpg.html

Inside the castle,looks so lovely. They were renovating it when we were there.

More great photos Wendy!

I really liked the sculpture of the spiral, hand & wand. Thanks for including the inscription it makes it more meaningful.

Painting the castle pink to contrast the grey skies is another example of how Disney really do think of everything.

You're right! Every good castle should have a dragon and I'm it in ours!

Go Duffy!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics. PIO and I were discussing it on another thread (did you feel your ears burning :wave2:) and Singapore looks lovelier than I imagined it to be.

More great photos Wendy!

You're right! Every good castle should have a dragon and I'm it in ours!

Well the crew and others would definitely agree I'm it in ours too!! There's nothing a good dragon can't accomplish.

On the way back to Brisbane I had one of those little boys who's extremely irritating (like constantly kicking the back of the seat) behind me sitting next to a still little sister while parents sat in the middle row. Sorry if I offend anyone but I really think with children under a certain age parents should be forced to sit with them unless they are a single parent so can't (or they could all be in the middle row). But what really was annoying was the "Yes darling", "I understand darling" all said in a calm quiet voice over and over (when he's screaming non-stop over and over "I want to play my game" and "I don't want to wear my seat belt" during take off ["Put your seat belt on darling" - yeah like he's listening]. Dad spoke up once. Dragon mum like me would have already had him so petrified that a hint of one of my scary glares and he would have belted up and shut up!! My dragon roar....... :furious:

Stardate: Tuesday May 14

Captains Log:

We had a breakfast spot booked for 7am (“what, every day” had queried our check-in lass-I didn’t think that was so weird but anyway-at home we are up early so used to an early breakie and I had heard it gets manic by 8am). As it happened we woke around 4.30ish having had 10 hours sleep, so we had a cuppa and a biccy. No free internet yet (its being rolled out this year) so I caught my diary up to date, before we braved the cold and drizzle.

Heading to the Chuckwagon – after breakfast it’s a buffet lunch and dinner. (Obviously taken later when it wasn't drizzly!)

I was happy with the choices for breakfast-several different cereals-you will see below I mixed it up a little, bowls of yoghurt, tinned fruit (higher grade hotels get individual yoghurts and fresh fruit), juice, delicious crusty bread rolls-the French do bread so well, croissants, pain au chocolat, normal bread to toast if you want to be boring, cheeses and ham as well as spreads including Nutella, and pretty good coffee (take note US) including cappuccino’s.

My sample breakfast. I pretty much ate the same each day. Simple but good.

By 7.30 the place was hustling-seems no-one sleeps in here. Saw some families trying the infamous stuffing of bags with rolls and croissants-people brought trays heaped enough to feed a group of 12 to their table but the attendants did come up and have a quiet word so I think they are cracking down. (There are lots of complaints on the Paris boards about this practice).

On the way out look who we spotted!

We strolled along the river to the Village as the rain had stopped, around a 15 minute walk and arrived at the Disneyland gates around 9am. Today took more notice of Main St. The arcades down each side behind the shops (Liberty themed with info on the Statue of Liberty, and Discovery) are a good idea.

The first pic is from yesterday but shows a bit more of the top end of Main St.

Also from later in the day - very quiet during EMH when we were there.

First up we rode Peter Pan with a 5 minute wait-one of our all time fave rides and this seemed similar to the US though I thought it a tad better than our last ride in Anaheim and DH thought it felt shorter. Then I rode Dumbo after about a 20 min wait. This was my first time on Dumbo and probably wouldn’t bother again though I know he has his fans! I prefer the Carousel.

This little diorama from Tangled is great. Where was Duffy – I think he thought it was too girly for a pic. Instead he wanted a pic climbing up the beanstalk.

A selfie

Some shots of the rear and side of the castle

We meet Nessie a bit early

It was now just after 10 so we hotfooted across to Frontierland for Big Thunder Mountain but it was delayed in opening, so was Phantom Manor.

Entrance through fort

Great pics, Wendy. Those croissants look great and I'm glad to see the CM cracking down on the practise of hoarding for later.

Exploration Disneyland Paris Day 2 Post 2

As the Molly Brown was waiting to set sail and DH was keen on we hopped.

Another (blurry) selfie

Molly Brown

When we docked Phantom Manor had just opened so we walked straight in. This is different with its wild west theme but it was a bit confusing despite reading a short back story prior. I still think Tokyo’s is the best House we have visited to date (though Mystic Manor in HK sounds amazing). The Manor had its requisite array of dancing ghosts and lots of macabre grinning skeletons so can’t complain. Duffy was scared! No extra passenger accompanies you at the end though looked like maybe they should and it wasn’t working.

When we came out through Boot Hill with its beating heart tomb, Big Thunder was finally open so on we jumped-a walk-on.

This was great-it’s a slightly different track to the US-doesn’t have the dizzying double looped bends at the end and you go under the lake to come out on the island. This was great fun-not that our faces look it! (we must have been with regulars who know when the pic is going to be taken.)

Next it was time to become pirates and explore Adventure Isle.

Skull Rock

Now this is one confusing place-paths lead to rope bridges lead to a maze of subterranean caves.

Did we find Ben Gunn’s Treasure?

Yep! Did we find Davey Jones Locker? No idea-kept going in circles underground. Did we find the inside of Skull Rock?

Yep! But the pic is bad. Instead here’s one of the boat

Pirates playground

Another ride on Pirates was mandatory.

A visit to La Cabane des Robinsons

Getting a wee bit weary-this park is so spread out but not time for lunch yet (a 2pm booking). So we caught the train from Frontierland behind Cottonwood Creek Ranch which contains Cowboy Cookout BBQ (and lots of spare land for future expansion it seemed to us). It was rather slow but you do go through Pirates which is neat, and around to Discoveryland.

Exploration Disneyland Post 3

Paris has modified the traditional Tomorrowland look for a land reflecting writers like Jules Verne, Leonardo da Vinci and HG Wells hence the change in name of the land.
We hadn’t been here yet so hopped off the railway and decided there was time for our first visit to Star Tours before lunch. Still the 2D version-an oldie but a goodie [but note our new Enterprise bests the Starspeeder 3000 any day].

An X-wing fighter outside

Great queueing area with a big map of the galaxy before reaching the embarkation bay and our old friends

And some busy, whinging droids

Had to get this in French (readable on the high res version).

No pic but after exiting instead of to a shop you walk through a hanger bay with continued theming and L’Astroport Services Interstellaires, an area dedicated to arcade games which was a nice change.

Now it was time for Agrabah Café, a Moroccan themed buffet in Adventureland. This was delicious. A huge range of salads, tangine’s, roasted meats, fish, moussaka, pita bread etc. Then deserts including various baklava and other sticky and custard pastries, tarts, crepes, fresh fruit salad and pieces of fresh fruit. It was all delicious.

Some pics of our plates:

My first plate including baked chicken, tangine, various baked vegetables and salads with pita bread.

DH’s first plate with various vegetables, baked chicken and marinated sausages

DH’s second plate with moussaka, fish stew, some pie thing, some other stuff??

My desert: Fig pie, crepes with orange sauce, and 2 types of baklava

DH desert with crepes with chocolate sauce, a custard pastry, a different type of baklava and some other type of tart.

And the surrounds.

Totally pigged out we waddled over to Disney Studios to see if we could find a sedate show to watch (will put in more pics with Thursday’s when we spent more time).
But on the way look who Duffy met:

Arrived the same time as the 4pm Stars ‘n’ Cars Parade. Love the cars as much as the characters.

Continued next post

WOW - what an amazing holiday, and such STUNNING photos!!

I love your photo of the Padang in Singapore, my mum and dad lived in Singapore for about 4 years in the late '60's....my dad was a groovy professional ten-pin bowler - hysterical!! :hippie:

Anyway, he used to play cricket on the Padang - and we have been back to Singapore a couple of times now - and always we go to the Padang to see where Big Daddy used to play. I recognised it instantly in your picture - thanks for the blast from the past (and for the AMAZING trip report)!! :worship:

Loving the report - DL Paris is beautiful. Can't wait to show DD when she wakes up..

Exploration Disneyland Tuesday: Final post 4

We then jumped inside Animagique. I had forgotten Zanzibar’s comments about the annoying music while you wait-noooooooo. Billed as catchy, it’s the most annoyingly irritating song since Rihanna’s Umbrella. Stupid noises, really loud-I came close to walking out. Luckily the show itself, featuring Donald getting into less strife than he usually does when he gets up to mischief and meeting a host of favourite characters, was a whole lot less annoying. Set against a backlight stage the puppetry was good and it did have some 4D elements – DH was unimpressed though and we have seen better shows. We discovered Thursday this seemed to be the theme of many of the shows in the Studios-they just didn’t live up to their US (or Japanese) equivalents.

We were feeling tired by now (and still full!) so wandered home and unexpectedly fell asleep. Woke up at 7.30 ready to go back to Disneyland to watch Dreams. We went in via the huge McDonalds in the Village as they have free wifi, so we could send a message to our DD back at home looking after our dog.

Spent the evening mostly just wandering looking at all the lights coming on, checking out some merch:

How pretty are these:

Any Brave fans?

I wanted to buy DH a T with this print but I know he’s too grumpy to wear it!!!!

Giant popcorn bottles

The ceiling inside the Emporium on Main St with silhouettes of inventors Walt admired.

In Aladdin’s Passage within the Adventureland entrance.

Agrabah café entrance at night

And another pic exiting Adventureland

We also managed a few rides like It’s A Small World (the best one yet IMHO-pics with Thursday). It was still really quiet eg Space Mountain:Mission 2 was 10 mins wait (NB a much loopier, twistier, faster SM than the US parks according to reviews and one we avoided as I have also read about how bumpy and jerked about you are, especially your head).

They started closing Fantasyland very early for Dreams and closing routes we had been using to other lands making it exceeding difficult to get to other places when you were as clueless as we were. Since an evening visit to Discoveryland became too hard we decided instead to just nab a spot on the hub for Dreams a bit earlier than planned. Found one near the Adventureland side of the hub by the flower gardens as people like Zanzibar suggested.

We ended up having to wait around an hour-it seemed to take forever to get really dark. It kept sprinkling with big clouds looming and as we hadn’t brought our brolly’s, kept hoping it wasn’t going to pour down like first thing this morning. We were right by benches that people had nabbed since late afternoon so they got to sit but I perched on the garden railings for a bit, watching jealously as various of their large party ran to and fro for coffees and snacks.

Late afternoon with the fountains working

Almost time

The announcements for Dreams was in French and English like many announcements here. Somehow that made it all seem so very much more special. It was AMAZING!! It was so, so, so good. I loved every minute especially the scenes for the Lion King, Brave, and Tangled. They played the excerpts from all my favourite songs and the way they used the projections to turn the castle into a waterfall in Lion King, a tangle of vines for Tangled, and Notre Dame Cathedral for Hunchback was impressive. Little things too, like making the towers look like rockets that took off or making the towers look like they are jumping or flipping. Sorry, you have to see it. Google it - but it just isn’t as impressive as watching it live. Luckily I could just watch as DH is camera man. I will put the pics in at the end of Thursday when we saw it again and took more pics since it was also the end of our time at DLP but here is one:

and one after the conclusion.

After it was over I was in my little happy place. So happy I was in DL again, with my favourite person and reminded just why I love Disney and the warm fuzzy feeling it generates. I would so love to buy a CD but they haven’t one, only the music of the parade.

We walked home by the river hand in hand and were in bed by midnight.

Capt'ns Log Highlights and Lowlights: Highs: Dreams, Dreams, Dreams. Also IASW, exploring Adventure Isle, lunch at Agrabah Cafe, a mostly sunny day and - where are all the people?
Lows: tired legs!

WOW! Wendy. I think you've convinced me that I need to move DLP up the list a little.

Your day and pictures look great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter