• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip insurance---"cancel for any reason" ??

Bonnie1222, is it possible for you share which insurance you went with after all?

I did a comparison through insuremytrip.com and another site I found by doing an internet search. I narrowed the choices down to three then did some more research on the companies online. We went with C&F Travel Insured International Worldwide Trip Protector Plus. We liked the options they offered which included 100% back if you had to cancel for work reasons in addition to the 75% cancel for any reason. We are DVC members and normally book cruises using points so are covered by Travelex when we insure our points. This trip was paid for with cash; and Travelex was one of our options, but it was much more expensive.

I buy insurance through Disney. We just had to cancel in May when I was diagnosed with a mass in my heart (turned out to be a blood clot on my pacer wire, but it took some time to figure out).

Our travel agent called Disney when we were about 33 days from our sail date. The Disney CM was very helpful and told TA exactly what we needed to do. We started by canceling our cruise because that guaranteed us 50% refund.

We then filed a claim. What the CM told us was that, worst case scenario,
if the insurance didn't pay (for whatever reason), Disney would credit 75% of our unrecoverable expenses to a future cruise.

Insurance ended up reimbursing everything but the cost of the original insurance policy.

On the whole, I was pleased with how it was handled and will buy insurance for all my future cruise dates, AND big trips like Paris.

I skimmed this thread.

Pardon me if this was mentioned, and I'm out of line. But, ....

Just a reminder for those purchasing "cancel for any reason", that coverage will not apply for any named storms.
Perhaps even for unnamed depressions too. Check language carefully.

It appears more storms are on the way. :eek:

JMT

Best of Luck to All

I skimmed this thread.

Pardon me if this was mentioned, and I'm out of line. But, ....

Just a reminder for those purchasing "cancel for any reason", that coverage will not apply for any named storms.
Perhaps even for unnamed depressions too. Check language carefully.

It appears more storms are on the way. :eek:

JMT

Best of Luck to All

Where are you getting this...? Our policy specifically states that if we choose to cancel for any reason other than their normal covered reasons (which would then be refunded under the other provisions of the policy) we will be refunded 70% of the cost non-refundable portions of the trip. I don't see anywhere that calls out storms not falling under 'any reason'?

Just checked USAA and they asked for my social security number (and full registration) just to get a quote for travel insurance?
Nope never. I would never give my ss number to anyone unless I was applying for credit. I use Insure my trip . com.

... I don't see anywhere that calls out storms not falling under 'any reason'?

Your right. Storms are covered. Just not currently named storms when insurance was purchased.

That's all I'm trying to say.

If so you have an incredible policy.

The general cruise ship insurance rule is; You can't call now and get "cancel for any reason" for Maria nor Lee storms.
Actually you can't get any insurance for Maria and Lee, generally, Unless you pay huge $$$.

I hope I'm wrong. But I feel strong about this named storm point.

Now you could get full coverage of everything else, but not Maria and Lee.
You may now call and currently get full coverage, and "cancel for any reason" for Nate though.
Just not when if forms next week. lol

Look, you have to buy the insurance before the storm forms.

That is just my experience and the general understanding of these policies.

It makes sense. No coverage for named storms, when insurance purchased.

If your policy doesn't have that language, please share company and policy info please.

Ex; I see a storm forming, it has a name, I call the insurance company, I want coverage, ... why would they cover that storm.? ? ? Not ! ! !
They will cover all non formed storms.... Sure. Not forming, named storms.

I hope you see my point, and the insurance companies point.

Now, if you are covered somehow with super deluxe platinum travel insurance tru the military or something, ...
never heard of coverage applying for current storms, unless purchased prior to formation of said storm,
please let us know.

OK;

While I have viewers attention, I would like to remind pax that if you purchase travel insurance 5-21 days after the "initial" down payment, often the insurance is sooo much better for many reasons.

Each company and specific policy applies different rules surrounding that 5 - 21 day rule fwiw.

Please consider recon on insurance prior to your cruise deposit.

Please purchase cruise insurance within days of your cruise deposit, if you are interested in such product.

Few understand, the deposit date advantages; pre-exsisting condition waivers offered, early bird discounts, reduced medical look back periods, etc, kids free within X days of deposit, etc, etc.

Travel insurance purchased at "cruise deposit" within 4 days time is usually a great beneficial decision.

JMT

Last edited:
Where are you getting this...? Our policy specifically states that if we choose to cancel for any reason other than their normal covered reasons (which would then be refunded under the other provisions of the policy) we will be refunded 70% of the cost non-refundable portions of the trip. I don't see anywhere that calls out storms not falling under 'any reason'?

I have always understood that you have to have the insurance before the storm is named for it to cover the cancellation. You can't watch a tropical depression form, develop into a storm with a name, realize it might impact your cruise, and decide to buy insurance. But as long as you had it before the storm was named, I've never heard of it not being covered.

I don't see why named storms would be excluded in cancel for ANY reason insurance either.

I was curious, so I went to Insure My Trip and the big banner on top after doing a mock quote for the Caribbean is this:

Attention Travelers Seeking Coverage for Hurricane Irma, Tropical Storm Jose and Tropical Storm Katia:
Your only option for trip cancellation coverage is a plan with Cancel for Any Reason coverage, if you’re eligible. Please use the filter “Cancel for Any Reason” on the left and review the eligibility requirements to find the best plan for your trip.

I just wanted to add (because I don't think I saw it mentioned) a couple of areas where Cancel for Any reason can be good for some people:

1) Job Hectic. Regular policies cover if you lose your job, but not if work just gets crazy busy or if your boss decides he/she can no longer spare you. My BIL had a job like this, so it was good for him. Reduced his stress and made him feel he could "commit" to coming on the family vacation, but still back out if his work was too much.

2) Illness of extended family. Regular coverage often applies if people going on the cruise get sick, or if family members pass away, but for those of us with elderly parents, aunts, uncles, etc. who may depend on us if they get ill/injured even if they don't live with us, this extra coverage is desirable.

3) We were traveling as three households (separate addresses) for a family vacation, and we wanted the Option for all of us to cancel if one person couldn't go, even though it was three separate polices. I don't know that this is covered by regular insurance, but it was covered by the "for any reason."

Our policy gave us 100% on the regular coverage, and 80% of the extended "any reason" coverage, but for us, it was worth the peace of mind, as this was a very expensive trip and we didn't want to risk losing the full amount.

We called our insurance company on the phone, discussed some scenarios, and they told us which coverage we would need for those issues, plus some other scenarios that we hadn't thought of.

I just wanted to add (because I don't think I saw it mentioned) a couple of areas where Cancel for Any reason can be good for some people:

2) Illness of extended family. Regular coverage often applies if people going on the cruise get sick, or if family members pass away, but for those of us with elderly parents, aunts, uncles, etc. who may depend on us if they get ill/injured even if they don't live with us, this extra coverage is desirable.

We called our insurance company on the phone, discussed some scenarios, and they told us which coverage we would need for those issues, plus some other scenarios that we hadn't thought of.

All of your reasons are good ones, but #2 is of particular concern to me. If you have any advice regarding how to find the right policy, I'd be happy to hear it. DCL insurance won't work for us due to #2, but also our flights and pre/post cruise hotels and travel plans aren't booked through Disney.

There are lots of good Companies out there. We used Allianz. We have used them before, and even had a claim once when our trip (not a cruise) had to be delayed because my grandmother (who was not going on the trip) got injured the day before our trip, so we needed to delay a couple days before we could leave to make sure she was taken care of.

You can add whatever other items to your trip you wish. No need to add things that are refundable anyway (some hotels, some rental cars, etc.) We also added some things later than the initial booking but were able to get them included with the original terms, but for an added cost.

The biggest thing about finding the "right" policy is shop around on price, and make sure it covers what you are interested in. As I said, we called them on the phone and they explained many different options, and their costs, which made it a lot easier for us to choose the coverage we wanted. Read the "fine print" too.

Have a great trip!

This thread is an example of why:
Disney had not canceled her cruise by the time she was leaving for her vacation. If she canceled before Disney did she would not get her money back.
If she had cancel for any reason she would have not had this problem.

We get 'Cancel for any reason' coverage because my husband can get deployed unexpectedly and my position in my organization is such that our Top Dog can say, "I need you here. Sorry about your vacation".

Yeah, I'll be awfully salty but at least I'll get my money back.

Your right. Storms are covered. Just not currently named storms when insurance was purchased.

That's all I'm trying to say.

If so you have an incredible policy.

The general cruise ship insurance rule is; You can't call now and get "cancel for any reason" for Maria nor Lee storms.
Actually you can't get any insurance for Maria and Lee, generally, Unless you pay huge $$$.

I hope I'm wrong. But I feel strong about this named storm point.

Now you could get full coverage of everything else, but not Maria and Lee.
You may now call and currently get full coverage, and "cancel for any reason" for Nate though.
Just not when if forms next week. lol

Look, you have to buy the insurance before the storm forms.

That is just my experience and the general understanding of these policies.

It makes sense. No coverage for named storms, when insurance purchased.

If your policy doesn't have that language, please share company and policy info please.

Ex; I see a storm forming, it has a name, I call the insurance company, I want coverage, ... why would they cover that storm.? ? ? Not ! ! !
They will cover all non formed storms.... Sure. Not forming, named storms.

I hope you see my point, and the insurance companies point.

Now, if you are covered somehow with super deluxe platinum travel insurance tru the military or something, ...
never heard of coverage applying for current storms, unless purchased prior to formation of said storm,
please let us know.

OK;

While I have viewers attention, I would like to remind pax that if you purchase travel insurance 5-21 days after the "initial" down payment, often the insurance is sooo much better for many reasons.

Each company and specific policy applies different rules surrounding that 5 - 21 day rule fwiw.

Please consider recon on insurance prior to your cruise deposit.

Please purchase cruise insurance within days of your cruise deposit, if you are interested in such product.

Few understand, the deposit date advantages; pre-exsisting condition waivers offered, early bird discounts, reduced medical look back periods, etc, kids free within X days of deposit, etc, etc.

Travel insurance purchased at "cruise deposit" within 4 days time is usually a great beneficial decision.

JMT

I have always understood that you have to have the insurance before the storm is named for it to cover the cancellation. You can't watch a tropical depression form, develop into a storm with a name, realize it might impact your cruise, and decide to buy insurance. But as long as you had it before the storm was named, I've never heard of it not being covered.

I did not pick up on JMT saying it was only for those trying to buy AFTER the storm is named and barreling down on you, but rather that storms that end up being named would somehow not apply. We bought ours ages ago, thus my confusion. :)

I did not pick up on JMT saying it was only for those trying to buy AFTER the storm is named and barreling down on you, but rather that storms that end up being named would somehow not apply. We bought ours ages ago, thus my confusion. :)

It was confusing for sure! :)

This thread is an example of why:
Disney had not canceled her cruise by the time she was leaving for her vacation. If she canceled before Disney did she would not get her money back.
If she had cancel for any reason she would have not had this problem.

We get 'Cancel for any reason' coverage because my husband can get deployed unexpectedly and my position in my organization is such that our Top Dog can say, "I need you here. Sorry about your vacation".

Just a note that "cancel for any reason" is not always 100% of your money back.

This is why I went outside to another company. DCL and other did 70% cancel for any reason but the policy I purchased has that coverage but also does 100% for cancellations due to work.

My mother in law has just been given less than a year to live. We declined the trip insurance when we put down the deposit for an April cruise. Does the cost change if you buy it closer to the cruise time (I'm thinking 2 months before)?

My mother in law has just been given less than a year to live. We declined the trip insurance when we put down the deposit for an April cruise. Does the cost change if you buy it closer to the cruise time (I'm thinking 2 months before)?
For the DCL insurance, I don't think the cost changes, but you must purchase it no later than your paid-in-full date.

We always purchase trip insurance, but have never included the 'For any Reason'. I believe that for most cases where I would have to cancel; it would be covered under the regular policy. I just can't justify the additional cost to include that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter