• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip insurance---"cancel for any reason" ??

Just checked USAA and they asked for my social security number (and full registration) just to get a quote for travel insurance?
USAA products are only available for members (who must be military or immediate family of military). You would not be able to register on the site unless you are eligible. They do use SSN to determine if you meet the eligibility requirements.

My mother in law has just been given less than a year to live. We declined the trip insurance when we put down the deposit for an April cruise. Does the cost change if you buy it closer to the cruise time (I'm thinking 2 months before)?

I'm sorry to hear that.

The cost for insurance that includes preexisting conditions or cancel for any reason does often change closer to cruise time.

I know that I waited past the one or two week window after my deposit to secure coverage (not through Disney)...to ensure that pre-existing conditions counted (I didn't worry about cancel anytime), my options were more limited and more expensive
(You have to read the fine print, but something about Disney-either the pre-existing stuff or cancel any reason stuff was simply a credit for a future cruise and not your money back)

Just a note that "cancel for any reason" is not always 100% of your money back.

Correct. Caveat emptor. Nevertheless, when you are forced to cancel 2 days before sail away, even 90% back is better than 0% back - which is what you would get from any other insurance company without Cancel for any reason coverage.

With that said, there are 100% cancel for any reason coverage policies, usually with a deductible, but they can be pretty nominal depending upon the policy especially when compared to the price of a Disney cruise.

(You have to read the fine print, but something about Disney-either the pre-existing stuff or cancel any reason stuff was simply a credit for a future cruise and not your money back)

Correct, the insurance offered through DCL does not cover pre-existing conditions. The insurance policy itself is not "cancel-for-any-reason" BUT since it is purchased through DCL, if your claim is denied then DCL will offer a credit towards a future cruise. I believe it's a 70% credit of the non-refundable fare and must be used within a specified period of time (might be one year but I'm not sure).

It pays to do your research with regards to travel insurance. There really is no one-size-fits-all company or policy.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter