Trip Report - New Zealand ABD March 13 - 24, 2023 Updated 1/17/24!

I have another question. How did you handle prescription drugs. My husband just went to our pharmacist to get a copy of our prescriptions for us to take along with our bottles. The druggist, according to my husband, looked at him like he was crazy. He said he had just gotten back from New Zealand and did not have copies of his prescriptions or meds in their bottles and had not trouble. It wasn't any different than traveling anywhere else. Could you tell me how you handled your medications. Thank you in advance.
I take a few meds, some prescription some OTC, and had prepped similar to @sayhello and @abdgeek, no doctor’s note but a copy of the list printed from my online pharmacy records and things with original bottles or labels. No one asked to see anything when I went through immigration. I guess it could be something random, like the extra screening at TSA in the US, as to whether they’d ask to see anything. Personally I’d rather have some paperwork than possibly deal with being perceived as bringing drugs into a country.

Funny story, for Norway - they have an app to clear immigration automatically if all questions are answered in a way to do that, but it says if there any meds, supplements, or vitamins you can’t use the app and must be cleared by a customs rep. So, while a plane load of people are walking through with nothing to declare, (I had a hard time believing I was the only person traveling with meds LOL), only I go over to the customs officer. He seemed kind of surprised to have something to inspect. I told him what I had to declare, he smiled & said not necessary to do so unless it was more narcotic-type medicine. So, a bit of arrival anxiety for naught, but better safe than sorry.

What I have done for years, and did for New Zealand is my prescriptions all come with paperwork that has a copy of the label that is on the bottles. NOBODY cares about the bottles, they want the info off the label. (If your paperwork doesn't have a copy of the label, you can usually request that from your pharmacist).

So I have purchased small pill ziplock bags from Walgreens and CVS, and I tape the copy of the label onto a baggie, and put the medicine that goes with the label in the bag. I do that with each of my prescriptions (I take a lot), and I do the same with my OTC drugs and supplements. Then I put them all in a 1 quart ziplock bag. This always goes in my personal item. I've been doing this for at least 15 years, including trips to China, Japan and New Zealand. I have never once had an issue with any of them. The first time I heard this rule, I tried to load all my bottles into my personal item, and it literally took up the entire thing. After crying in frustration, I found this answer somewhere, and never looked back.

American prescriptions you carry probably aren't going to be valid in a foreign country, so it's really just for the information about the prescription.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-pill-pouches/ID=prod6328104-product

I agree with @abdgeek to check that all your meds and OTC drugs are allowed in New Zealand. I didn't have any issues, but in Japan, OTC Pseudoephedrine (the "real" Sudafed they keep behind the counter) is not allowed to be brought into the country.

Sayhello
Thank you so much. I did ask the pharmacist for print outs. So, I will make sure I have all the paperwork we need. I just want to do the right thing and not worry about it.

We leave a week from today, and after reading a couple other reports I am now worried about 2 excursions. One is the Speed Boat. I have severe issues with motion sickness and I think I will have to skip this excursion. Did you do this and what was your thoughts on it. I do take dramamine and will have zofran with me, but 55 mph with zips and turns for 2 hours, I don't think I would survive.
The other is the E-bike adventure. After reading a trip report, I am now worried about doing it. The last bike I rode was about 10-15 years ago. I've never ridden an E-bike. My husband poo-poo'd my worry and said you'll be fine. I guess I'll keep a look out for the van.
I guess I did not realize this trip was going to be an "extreme adventure". I thought it would be more like the Iceland ABD we did, which was fabulous and my most favorite trip to date.
Here's to hoping it will turn out better than I'm thinking at the moment.

We leave a week from today, and after reading a couple other reports I am now worried about 2 excursions. One is the Speed Boat. I have severe issues with motion sickness and I think I will have to skip this excursion. Did you do this and what was your thoughts on it. I do take dramamine and will have zofran with me, but 55 mph with zips and turns for 2 hours, I don't think I would survive.
The other is the E-bike adventure. After reading a trip report, I am now worried about doing it. The last bike I rode was about 10-15 years ago. I've never ridden an E-bike. My husband poo-poo'd my worry and said you'll be fine. I guess I'll keep a look out for the van.
I guess I did not realize this trip was going to be an "extreme adventure". I thought it would be more like the Iceland ABD we did, which was fabulous and my most favorite trip to date.
I haven't gotten to that part of the trip report yet! I also have issues with motion sickness, and had the patch on for the jet boat, which has always worked for me. I was fine until we got "to the end" and just sort of floated for a while while the driver explained to us why we weren't going any further. The longer we sat there and bobbed up and down, the more nauseated I got. Then on the way back, I spent most of the return trip struggling not to throw up. So I don't know that I can recommend it for anyone who has sea sickness issues. It's too bad, because it was super fun until I got nauseated, but nope, not a good idea.

I *did* skip the e-bike ride. I was pretty convinced I was not doing it after reading about injuries in previous Trip Reports. The Adventure Guides were pretty explicit that if you didn't know how to handle and shift a bike proficiently that you should probably skip it. About half of our group of 40 skipped it. Arrowtown was really cool, and they buy your admission to the museum in town if you aren't going biking. I was quite happy not doing the biking.

I'm getting so excited for you!! You are going to have SUCH an amazing time!! In my opinion, this trip is way more fabulous than Iceland, which *is* a very cool trip! Even with having to skip a couple of activities, I ADORED this New Zealand trip. ENJOY!!

Sayhello

Last edited:

I was on the second NZ AbD, about year ago. You are going at a great time!

Re the speed boat, I too can suffer from motion sickness and skip most all roller coaster rides in the parks. (Mr Toad’s Wild Ride is more my speed LOL.). I did the speed boat, and enjoyed it a lot! There were a couple of us a bit apprehensive but we were game to give it a try. We mentioned the concerns to the boat driver at the start. I’d ended up in the front row, luck of the draw as we were getting in; he suggested moving to the middle back of the boat about half way through. We both moved to the middle back row for the rest of the time, and that seat location helped a LOT! We are very glad we did the boat ride. So ask to sit in the back row, one of the middle seats. Also, it is not two straight hours of zips, turns, and speed; there is more time slow running with speed or turns every once in a while, and the driver let us know when we were heading into a turn.

I’d suggest speaking with the guides before that day; they have to split up the group as each boat holds just 10-12 guests. Maybe they can split the group so those with any concerns can all be in one boat, and then that boat driver can be asked to do fewer turns for the trip. There is a lot more to see than just going fast with a lot of turns. It is a beautiful area of NZ and different from any other area you’ll visit along the way. It is something I’m very glad I did not miss, and I did not feel nauseated when we got back.

Re the e-bike ride, I’m one of the two on our AbD who gave it a try and bailed about a third of the way along, at the last point to do so. I’d never done an e-bike before, and my last bike ride was the Japan AbD which was regular bikes. As ours was the second AbD, we were not offered the Arrowtown museum option; either it wasn’t yet open or else the option came after feedback from the first few trips, or else since I was open to try it didn’t come up. It was OK, my group was patient but I definitely slowed them down. I was glad I gave it a try, but looking back, if the museum had been an option I likely would have chosen it.

Between these two activities, while you need to do what is comfortable for you, I hope you will consider giving the boats a try as it was fun, beautiful, and worth the time. And, enjoy the museum in Arrowtown!

I would also encourage you not to be apprehensive about the activities on the trip. I would not call the NZ AbD an “extreme adventure”. It is a bit more active than some, but not nearly as adventurous as others out there. New Zealand is so beautiful at every turn, and you can skip things (let the guides know) when you need a rest, as one did in our group a couple of times, or you just aren’t up to it, like me with the zip lining.

Enjoy your trip!

Is there a way to post videos on this board? I could share two videos of the jet boat that might give @hygienist999 a better idea of the experience.
I think if you upload it somewhere, like YouTube, you can include the link to YouTube or whatever in your post. To my knowledge, there's no built-in way to post videos like there is for photos.

Sayhello

Ok, I found two related videos that were already on YouTube.

The jet boat company is Dart River Adventures and they have a brief video showing the experience:

I found another video for a different jet boat (Skippers Canyon) but the experience is similar. This gives you a first person view of what it is like while the pilot is racing down the river, getting close to obstacles on the left and right, while also doing spins occasionally.

Hope those are helpful for making the decision on whether or not to do this activity.

As for the bike ride, it sounds like you read my report. I went into great detail for that activity because it does require more skill than other ABD bike activities. I had a much harder time balancing on those bikes compared to the ones on the Canada trip. If you're not confident, I would suggest skipping that and enjoying Arrowtown instead.

Wellp, on with the Trip Report!

Day 8 - Franz and Family

This day was our day to explore the area around the Franz Josef Glacier. It was not a very early morning (breakfast at 7, meetup at 8:15). We woke up to intermittent rain, mostly pretty light, and it did not stop us from our adventures. But it did require us all to break out our rain jackets! While walking to the restaurant for the breakfast buffet, I got this great shot of our hotel which was quite literally in the middle of a rain forest, and I thought, quite beautiful!

20230320_075907.jpg

We then headed out through the bush to the viewing area for the Glacier View.

20230320_085331.jpg

20230320_085431.jpg

We caught a quick glimpse of the glacier as we walked through the forest.

20230320_090845.jpg

As we walked, our local naturalist (who, if memory serves, was an Aussie and not a Kiwi) described what we were seeing both botanically and geographically. This area had been shaped by glaciers, and the evidence was all around us in the rock face we passed.

20230320_091050.jpg

I loved this tree just growing through and around these slabs of rock.

20230320_091142.jpg

Waterfall!

20230320_091534.jpg

And... Franz Josef Glacier!

20230320_091702.jpg

20230320_092039.jpg

I have to admit, I thought we'd be getting a bit closer to the Glacier than this, but I guess this was as close as they were willing to let us get!

We had passed this sign earlier, and I guess they were serious!

20230320_085015.jpg

Continued in next post.

I haven't gotten to that part of the trip report yet! I also have issues with motion sickness, and had the patch on for the jet boat, which has always worked for me. I was fine until we got "to the end" and just sort of floated for a while while the driver explained to us why we weren't going any further. The longer we sat there and bobbed up and down, the more nauseated I got. Then on the way back, I spent most of the return trip struggling not to throw up. So I don't know that I can recommend it for anyone who has sea sickness issues. It's too bad, because it was super fun until I got nauseated, but nope, not a good idea.

I *did* skip the e-bike ride. I was pretty convinced I was not doing it after reading about injuries in previous Trip Reports. The Adventure Guides were pretty explicit that if you didn't know how to handle and shift a bike proficiently that you should probably skip it. About half of our group of 40 skipped it. Arrowtown was really cool, and they buy your admission to the museum in town if you aren't going biking. I was quite happy not doing the biking.

I'm getting so excited for you!! You are going to have SUCH an amazing time!! In my opinion, this trip is way more fabulous than Iceland, which *is* a very cool trip! Even with having to skip a couple of activities, I ADORED this New Zealand trip. ENJOY!!

Sayhello
Thank you for answering all of my questions. I think I will try the boat ride, but will take my dramamine along with some Zofran. Hopefully that will be enough. But I do think we will skip the E-Bike. I'll look for your updates, hopefully while I'm in New Zealand. We leave Atlanta this Friday at 3:45pm. We do have to change planes in Hughston, but will then continue on to Auckland. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Ok, I found two related videos that were already on YouTube.

The jet boat company is Dart River Adventures and they have a brief video showing the experience:

I found another video for a different jet boat (Skippers Canyon) but the experience is similar. This gives you a first person view of what it is like while the pilot is racing down the river, getting close to obstacles on the left and right, while also doing spins occasionally.

Hope those are helpful for making the decision on whether or not to do this activity.

As for the bike ride, it sounds like you read my report. I went into great detail for that activity because it does require more skill than other ABD bike activities. I had a much harder time balancing on those bikes compared to the ones on the Canada trip. If you're not confident, I would suggest skipping that and enjoying Arrowtown instead.
Thank you for sharing these videos. I think I will try the boat, but take bunches of motion sickness meds, lol. But we've decided to skip the E-bike. Just not worth the risk. We've not ridden bikes in over 10 years and never an E-bike. So, we will pass on that.

It was still very cool, and a lot of photographs were taken.

20230320_092725.jpg

20230320_092925.jpg

20230320_092859.jpg

In case you can't tell, that last pic is a photo standee of a local ranger. Pretty realistic, eh? :D

We continued our walk, and saw some rocks where our Guide pointed out where the glacial scraping could be seen.

20230320_093501.jpg

So, this photo is significant in that it had begun to rain a bit more at this point, so I was keeping my phone in the outside breast pocket of my rain jacket that was made just for this purpose. At some point after this photo was taken, we stopped, and our Guide was showing us some interesting flora, so I reached for my phone to take a photo of it. And my phone was not there. Trying not to panic, I started going through all my pockets, my travel purse, the pockets in my leggings, but it just wasn't there. I was losing the fight with the panic. Kira saw something was wrong and came up to me, and I told her I couldn't find my phone (which I was using as my camera and my trip planner and pretty much everything for this trip!) We were, *of course*, in an area with no phone reception! Because that would have been too easy. Kira said to continue on with the Guide and she'd backtrack to the last place I was *sure* I'd had the phone, which was the place where we looked at the glacial scraping of the rocks (I wasn't positive about where the last shot I took was). So she headed back, and we headed on, and I kept digging through my jacket and my purse and my pockets, still to no avail!

Kira eventually caught back up with us, but she had not found my phone. I was starting to freak out! We continued on, looking at the amazing bush/rain forest, and eventually made our way to the little parking lot where the vans were that were going to return us to our motorcoach. Several women from our group patted me down multiple times hoping that the phone had just slipped into a deep pocket somewhere, and they turned my purse inside out, but it just wasn't there. Folks even tried calling my phone, but could not connect to it. Eventually, everyone else loaded up to head back to the hotel (the rest of the day was OYO) and Kira and our Guide both returned with me to the path we'd taken through the bush for another try at finding it. The Guide (geez, I wish I remembered his name!) and I started at one end, and Kira went down to the other end by the glacially scraped rocks, and we headed towards each other to scour the route. We'd got past the area where I'd realized the phone was gone, and still nothing. I was getting pretty despondent. Then suddenly he sprinted up a little, then came back with my phone in his hand!!! It had fallen off the path, but he'd spotted the edge of it off the side of the road! He was trained and worked as a search and rescue worker, and was scanning the area looking for signs of a person as he was trained to do, and found it in a spot neither I nor Kira could have seen it. I hugged the bejeezus out of him, and we headed back to where we met up with Kira. Crisis averted!! All 3 of us were quite relieved, and of course, me the most!

One last photo of the glacier, because I could!

20230320_101652.jpg

Our motorcoach driver had come back for the 3 of us, and dropped off our Guide at his office, and took Kira and I back to the Hotel, where I let everyone I saw know the phone had been found!

At this point, it had started raining fairly steadily. But I grabbed an umbrella and headed out to the main drag.

20230320_122129.jpg

I needed to get some lunch, plus I wanted to check out the Franz Josef West Coast Wildlife Centre that @Mathmagicland had recommended in her report. They had some rare Kiwi birds and other animals. It also seemed that it had a cafe, which was a good thing. It was not that far from the hotel (honestly, nothing in the town was), but it was down a very long driveway and it was very, VERY wet out! I made it to the Wildlife Centre, and headed to the cafe, which was pretty small and fairly busy. I ordered a meat pie and something to drink, followed by some ice cream.

It was a little mushed, but tasty!

20230320_124239.jpg

20230320_124028.jpg

I then went through the Wildlife area, and saw a tuatara, which is a reptile, but not a lizard (even though it looks much like one). It's endemic to New Zealand.

20230320_135039.jpg

I then went to the area where they had 3 Kiwi birds.

20230320_132522.jpg

The area they were in was dark with just a touch of red light, because the kiwis are nocturnal, and they didn't want to mess that up. So you had to stay in there for a pretty long while for your eyes to adjust, but after they did, you were able to watch the kiwis as they moved around. Sometimes all you could really see was their long beaks. I stayed in there for a good long time, and enjoyed watching them. A few other people came and went, and I'd point out where the kiwis were.

Continued in next post.

Eventually, I exited the kiwi area and went to the fairly extensive Gift shop they had there. It was seriously, SERIOUSLY pouring torrential rain at this point, so I did a bunch of shopping and browsing, waiting for the rain to taper off. It never did. @mraviator had posted some hiking trails around the glacier area on @Eastridge 's Trip Report, and I'd planned on spending the OYO afternoon doing that, and then head to the restaurant 'Alice May's' for dinner (no reservations taken). Well, that all went totally out the window. I *finally* decided I was just going to have to bite the bullet and walk back up the hill to the hotel. Even with an umbrella I got pretty wet. Part way there, I came across one of the families from the ABD (a couple and their Adult daughter) who had gone to the grocery store to pick up some things, and were barely managing to keep their wet paper bags in one piece! We all burst into the lobby, quite grateful to have made it back, and all went to the Front Desk to inquire about eating dinner at the hotel restaurant that night rather than brave heading back out into the wet.

It turns out all they had available at the restaurant that night was their five-course degustation menu, which I knew from my restaurant research for this trip was a "tasting menu". It was seriously pricey, but we all felt it was far preferable to heading back out into that rain again, so we all signed up, and I told the family I'd see them in a couple of hours for dinner.

I then went back to my room to change out of my wet clothes, dry off, and clean up and relax.

I eventually headed back to the Canopy restaurant, where we'd had dinner with ABD the night before, and I met up with my dinner companions. When we got the menu, we realized it was pretty much the same idea as what we'd had the night before, but with some different dishes. So it was similar to a tasting menu, but with much larger portions than tasting menus I've had elsewhere.

20230320_192046.jpg

The food was, again, excellent. I had the scallops and the rack of lamb and the Chocolate Traffon for dessert.

20230320_200649.jpg

20230320_201903.jpg

It was a really excellent meal, with really excellent company. And at the end, the husband insisted on paying for my dinner, which I really had not expected! It was very sweet of him!

After that, it was back to our rooms to pack up, as we were heading out the next day for our long drive to Queenstown!

Next up: Day 9: Do You Wanaka

Thank you for answering all of my questions. I think I will try the boat ride, but will take my dramamine along with some Zofran. Hopefully that will be enough. But I do think we will skip the E-Bike. I'll look for your updates, hopefully while I'm in New Zealand. We leave Atlanta this Friday at 3:45pm. We do have to change planes in Hughston, but will then continue on to Auckland. Fingers crossed all goes well.
You are quite welcome!! And that sounds like a good choice!

And in case you didn't notice, you posted right in the middle of my newest update! ❤️ Hopefully there will be more while you're off enjoying the trip!!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Wow, so beautiful!

I have a great sign next to one of the glaciers we stopped at in Iceland that basically promises death or dismemberment if you go out unaccompanied onto the glacier, then lists the names of some of the people who have disappeared on the glacier. :0

Wow, so beautiful!

I have a great sign next to one of the glaciers we stopped at in Iceland that basically promises death or dismemberment if you go out unaccompanied onto the glacier, then lists the names of some of the people who have disappeared on the glacier. :0
Thanks!

And I've seen similar signs near the top of waterfalls. There's one in Yosemite where they have a sign at the top (or at least did) that says "Do not go into the water. You will die."

Sayhello

Just thought I'd let you know it appears one of your Adventure Guides will be the infamous Dusty!! He just posted that he's headed to New Zealand!

Sayhello

ABD guides are very good at recovering lost items, but this time it was the local hiking guide who found the phone!

The average annual rainfall in Franz Josef is almost 150 inches! We got lucky on our trip to not have rain on that day. Sorry to hear that prevented you from hiking during the "on your own time."

Or doing a helicopter ride, bungy jumping or skydiving. :)

ABD guides are very good at recovering lost items, but this time it was the local hiking guide who found the phone!

The average annual rainfall in Franz Josef is almost 150 inches! We got lucky on our trip to not have rain on that day. Sorry to hear that prevented you from hiking during the "on your own time."

Or doing a helicopter ride, bungy jumping or skydiving. :)
:rotfl2: Well those last 2 were never happening even if it was the most gorgeous, spectacular day in the Universe!!! *Maybe* the helicopter ride, but forget the rest!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter