Trip Report - New Zealand ABD March 13 - 24, 2023 Updated 1/17/24!

I’m not even interested in the NZ trip and still love this trip report!

BTW w/r/t losing phones, I purposely bought a phone case that has a spot for a wrist strap. After one too many Disney trips when my phone would fall out of my (too small) shorts pocket I wanted a way to attach it somehow. So I bought overpriced straps from Tom Bihn that can clip onto my shorts (or a bag if needed), and then use a quick release strap to clip it onto the wrist strap. It isn’t necessarily the “most” attractive setup ever, but I never have to worry about my phone hitting the ground nor leaving it behind on a ride when it’s attached to me, and it’s easy to pull out quickly when I want to take pictures. Bonuses - when handing my phone to my kids they’re less likely to lose it if I tell them to use the wrist strap, and it’s also instantly identifiable among the sea of iphones with black covers on it.

I had thought to just keep the wrist strap on when I travel, but I find it so handy that it’s on all the time, and save the Tom Bihn connector for “special occasions."

I’m not even interested in the NZ trip and still love this trip report!

BTW w/r/t losing phones, I purposely bought a phone case that has a spot for a wrist strap. After one too many Disney trips when my phone would fall out of my (too small) shorts pocket I wanted a way to attach it somehow. So I bought overpriced straps from Tom Bihn that can clip onto my shorts (or a bag if needed), and then use a quick release strap to clip it onto the wrist strap. It isn’t necessarily the “most” attractive setup ever, but I never have to worry about my phone hitting the ground nor leaving it behind on a ride when it’s attached to me, and it’s easy to pull out quickly when I want to take pictures. Bonuses - when handing my phone to my kids they’re less likely to lose it if I tell them to use the wrist strap, and it’s also instantly identifiable among the sea of iphones with black covers on it.

I had thought to just keep the wrist strap on when I travel, but I find it so handy that it’s on all the time, and save the Tom Bihn connector for “special occasions."
Thanks! I'll look into that! That sounds like a really good idea. I'd purchased a rubber bungie thing that goes around my neck for the ziplining days, but didn't use it except for the ziplining. It went right on as soon as I got back. It's a pain in the rear because the straps block parts of the phone, but I wasn't taking any chances after that!!!

Sayhello

The one good thing about my setup is that it isn’t annoying like that. We bought something similar to what you have for hot air ballooning in Africa and I agree that it wasn’t practical. This current setup works really well for my purposes.

For those interested, I use the Tom Bihn key straps (I have looked for cheaper alternatives but they’re really nice, so I suck it up and buy them), some cheap wrist strap from Amazon (came in a 5 pack I think), and smallest s-biner clips sold at Home Depot. Usually the TB clip attaches to my belt loop or I’ll clip it to a safety pin in my waistband, and the s-biner goes into the wrist strap so it’s quick release when needed. My phone case is from Mous and the wrist strip thing slides in on the side, but there are probably other ones that have similar features as well. It’s fine, nothing to write home about, but I wanted something durable because I have 2 kids and phones are expensive and so far it has worked out. I can grab a second phone to take a picture of it if anyone is having trouble visualizing what I mean.

The one good thing about my setup is that it isn’t annoying like that. We bought something similar to what you have for hot air ballooning in Africa and I agree that it wasn’t practical. This current setup works really well for my purposes.

For those interested, I use the Tom Bihn key straps (I have looked for cheaper alternatives but they’re really nice, so I suck it up and buy them), some cheap wrist strap from Amazon (came in a 5 pack I think), and smallest s-biner clips sold at Home Depot. Usually the TB clip attaches to my belt loop or I’ll clip it to a safety pin in my waistband, and the s-biner goes into the wrist strap so it’s quick release when needed. My phone case is from Mous and the wrist strip thing slides in on the side, but there are probably other ones that have similar features as well. It’s fine, nothing to write home about, but I wanted something durable because I have 2 kids and phones are expensive and so far it has worked out. I can grab a second phone to take a picture of it if anyone is having trouble visualizing what I mean.
I'd appreciate a picture. :)

Sayhello

I've been struggling with what to do with my phone when I hike. I hate that I have to choose hiking pants based on the pockets (my long term vent is WHY do designers assume women don't need pockets????) I want something that would keep it up around my backpack straps and not in a back pocket in case I fall on my butt down a gravel/rocky path. I've seen those rubber bungy type things, but am disappointed to hear they cover some of the phone.

I've been struggling with what to do with my phone when I hike. I hate that I have to choose hiking pants based on the pockets (my long term vent is WHY do designers assume women don't need pockets????) I want something that would keep it up around my backpack straps and not in a back pocket in case I fall on my butt down a gravel/rocky path. I've seen those rubber bungy type things, but am disappointed to hear they cover some of the phone.
I've packed my bungee away; I'll see if I can find it and take a photo. But not only did the straps cover parts of the screen, I was constantly having to fiddle with the body of it in the back because the camera lenses are on one side of the phone, and I had to keep the bungee off-center to not cover the lenses, and it kept creeping back to the center and covering them. Plus the straps would sometimes creep over one of the buttons or the mic. The problem is that it's a "Universal" bungee, and not made specifically for my Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G, and it just didn't fit properly. I was REALLY glad I had it while we were ziplining so that I didn't have to worry about dropping my phone, but it just wasn't that practical overall.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Good point, thanks for the review. I'll have to keep looking!
AbD guide Kira swears by this Koala phone harness -

https://www.hangtimegear.com/

I picked one up after my AbD NZ last year & seeing hers. I’ve used it on several trips, and like it. No wrist strap, but it does have both a carbiner type hook and also a binder- clip type clip that locks, so a couple of different options. I’ve used the clip attachment to hook it to a sleeve or shirt, and it is pretty strong.

Bummer, it doesn't fit my iPhone13 mini. Grr. Why do I have to choose between "fit in my pocket" and pretty much every other option.

AbD guide Kira swears by this Koala phone harness -

https://www.hangtimegear.com/

I picked one up after my AbD NZ last year & seeing hers. I’ve used it on several trips, and like it. No wrist strap, but it does have both a carbiner type hook and also a binder- clip type clip that locks, so a couple of different options. I’ve used the clip attachment to hook it to a sleeve or shirt, and it is pretty strong.
That looks a lot like the one I bought at EcoZip Adventures on Waiheke, but maybe this one would fit better. I may give this a try. Also, the one I got at EcoZip is meant to go around your neck.

I just bought this wrist band thing on Adorama.com, but I'm a bit leery about the fact that the pad that holds it in my phone's case, even though it's extremely thin, still causes the face of my phone to bump out just a tiny bit past the edge of the phone case. That's not a good thing if the phone falls face down. And it *is* only a wrist strap.

https://www.adorama.com/br275005.html

Sayhello

That looks a lot like the one I bought at EcoZip Adventures on Waiheke, but maybe this one would fit better. I may give this a try. Also, the one I got at EcoZip is meant to go around your neck.

I just bought this wrist band thing on Adorama.com, but I'm a bit leery about the fact that the pad that holds it in my phone's case, even though it's extremely thin, still causes the face of my phone to bump out just a tiny bit past the edge of the phone case. That's not a good thing if the phone falls face down. And it *is* only a wrist strap.

https://www.adorama.com/br275005.html

Sayhello

I also got one like this, mainly for Antarctica because of the neck strap as a wrist strap wouldn’t work with the gloves. It works with any phone case as a thin piece fits in behind the phone for the neck strap to hook through. The neck strap easily adjusts to whatever length is needed. It works well when using walking poles also.

https://www.amazon.com/HOTEMIA-Lany...5218&sprefix=Phone+neck+,aps,363&sr=8-10&th=1

Day 9 - Do You Wanaka

Today was an early-ish day; luggage out at 7am, meetup at 8 to leave for our drive to Queenstown. We were advised to dress in layers, and bring what we might need for a bit of a walk.

This was the view at breakfast. Man, this hotel really was in a beautiful setting, which they used to full advantage!

20230321_074637.jpg

It rained for the first hour or so of our drive. It definitely made for some moody landscapes!

20230321_084940.jpg

20230321_091007.jpg

20230321_091450.jpg

After a couple of hours, we made a stop at this gorgeous place. It was really quite spectacular!

20230321_101946.jpg

20230321_101839.jpg

Believe it or not, but this was a rest stop!! If only all rest stops could be this beautiful! (It *is* also a Visitor's Center, but still!)

20230321_102141.jpg

After some time to use the facilities and photograph the beautiful setting, we headed off again. After another hour, we made a stop to hike down to Thunder Creek Falls for some photographs with the lovely waterfall there.

20230321_111345.jpg

I didn't realize until much later that we did not stop at the Haast Blue Pools, which should have been our next stop. I don't know why we didn't. It may have been something to do with the weather, but nothing was said, and I never did think to ask.

Another hour down the road, we stopped for lunch at The Country Cafe in Makarora, NZ. It's just a roadside shop with a cafeteria. It was fairly busy, so we all just got in line to order our food. We were allowed to order whatever we wanted (it was just things like sandwiches, fish & chips, soup, quiche and desserts, including ice cream.) It was fairly typical roadside cafeteria food, nothing really great but nothing bad either. I'm assuming they chose it for the location as well as to break up the drive. A lot of folks felt it would have been better to have just headed straight to Wanaka and let us eat wherever there, and that seems to be what they are doing going forward after this year.

20230321_120957.jpg

20230321_121317.jpg

Continued in next post.

Then it was off to Wanaka. We did make a couple of quick stops along the way for photos of the incredibly stunning (and large!) lakes in the area, Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea.

20230321_130803.jpg

20230321_132437.jpg

Yep. It was a little windy!

nz0313233 2023-03-21-0088.jpg

We eventually ended up in the town of Wanaka. It's a cute little lake-side town with shopping and restaurants and beautiful views.

20230321_140228.jpg

We were treated to some very yummy gelato, and then set loose to explore Wanaka for an hour and a half or so.

nz0313233 2023-03-21-0046.jpg

For those who have read @Eastridge's Trip Report, this is my *VERY* zoomed shot of the highly Instagramable "That Wanaka Tree" taken from the shore by the center of town. I really wanted to wander the town and do some shopping, so I forsook the mile trek to the tree and back.

20230321_151934.jpg

The weather had GREATLY improved! It was positively gorgeous in Wanaka, so I thoroughly enjoyed my walk through and around the town.

20230321_141759.jpg

20230321_151555.jpg

We all met back up at our motorcoach at the appointed time, and then headed off to continue our drive to Queenstown. A little under an hour later, we made another stop at Jones's Fruit Stall. They had all manner of fresh fruit and veggies for sale, along with quite a selection of dried fruits. I purchased a few pieces of lovely fruit (because of course what I really needed was more food to snack on! :) )

20230321_162016.jpg

nz0313233 2023-03-21-0097.jpg

Continued in next post.

Jones's Fruit Stand also had quite a lovely garden area out back.

20230321_164322.jpg

We then headed out on the last leg to Queenstown, arriving about an hour later. We were given time to settle into our rooms at the lovely Hotel St. Moritz Queenstown, and told to meet for dinner at 7pm. All-in-all, given how far we drove, it was not a bad travel day at all!

The St. Moritz is literally nestled into a cliffside overlooking Lake Wakatipu with the amazing Remarkables Mountain Range as the background to the lake. I just could not get enough of this amazing view from the tiny balcony off my room!!

20230321_184651.jpg

20230321_184706.jpg

The hotel is a little funny in that, because of how it's nestled into the cliff, the Main Entrance/Lobby is on the 4th floor. Many of us had rooms on the 3rd floor, and it was frequently confusing as to whether you were going up or down to get where you wanted to be!

20230321_180800.jpg

But the rooms were nice, without any of the odd quirks some of the other rooms had. But it was really the views that made the rooms!

20230321_180623.jpg

20230321_180630.jpg

20230321_180709.jpg

20230321_180725.jpg

Dinner this night was in a small banquet room at the hotel.

20230321_193036.jpg

They had a couple of selections, I believe it was the same lasagna and salad that others had, but I honestly don't recall. It was not bad, but it wasn't terribly memorable, either! (Although I do remember having a quite lovely decaf cappuccino!)

20230321_192237.jpg

After dinner, it was back to the room to relax and revel in the amazing views. Tomorrow would be an early-ish start again, as we had a very full day ahead!

Up Next: Day 10 - A Remarkable Day.

What always strikes me from your trip reports is how often AbD seems to be feeding everyone. Do the guests really need that much food??? But as always, I am really enjoying living vicariously through your travels.

What always strikes me from your trip reports is how often AbD seems to be feeding everyone. Do the guests really need that much food??? But as always, I am really enjoying living vicariously through your travels.
Me personally? Generally not. But there are frequently teens and young adults on these trips, and I imagine they base their menus/meals/snacks around that. I think in general, they believe better too much food than not enough. And I do know there are people who consider a good meal to be a large meal. It's easier to eat less than they serve then to eat more than they serve!

Glad you're enjoying my trip report!

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter