• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

turn down the castle stay??

im wondering if anyone has ever turned it down? what would they do?

i was thinking about it and i dont know id really want to stay there. when you only have a certain number of days and everything is so planned out, it could really throw a wrench in things. suppose i visited MK for my first 2 days and won this on my 3rd day that i planned to spend the entire day at world showcase, well what would i do then? and doesnt it seem like such a hassle to get your stuff together for one night?
or what if i won it on my last day there and had a plane to catch?

im sure i will never have to worry about this, but i like to be prepared:)
im sure
I'd pay the fee to change my plane ticket. Staying in the castle is a once in a lifetime chance! I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I was under the impression that it was given away to someone entering MK early each day...meaning they'd planned to spend at least part of the day in the park anyway. I heard that there are duties that go along with it...such as riding in the Dreams parade. I know the winning family rode the day we were there for the parade.

It would be a real toss-up for my family. We don't get to do disney very often, so it would be a spur-of-the-moment decision as to whether it was worth it to forfeit one full day in the park in trade for staying in the castle.

I have a feeling my boys would pass on the castle stay if it meant missing Pirates, etc.

I was under the impression that it was given away to someone entering MK early each day...meaning they'd planned to spend at least part of the day in the park anyway.
I'm afraid you heard wrong! People I know won at DHS and I have heard of others winning at Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney. It has to be given away fairly early because of the preparations and paperwork, but it can be given away pretty much anywhere.

OP, its pretty funny how aghast so many folks are that there is any circumstance under which a reasonable person might choose to decline the prize. Here are just a few scenarios,

1. Dont care about the castle. 'Most of these folks are labeled as wack jobs around these parts,' Having been to europe and in 'Real' castles, somehow the make believe ones arent that big of a deal. :confused3 (I wouldnt mind staying tho' :rolleyes1 )

2. Family size. Ok what if you have SIX kids in your group? Is it really selfish to decide that splitting up the group and not including someone is a great idea? Who knows what the family had planned that could be important to them? Even if its FIVE as was given in once scenario, Some folks might not want to have to send mom or dad or grandma/grandpa on there seperate way, I dont think thats selfish, quite the opposite really.

3. Travel Arrangements. Now alot of folks have said well just reschedule the flight, what if thats not an option? What if someone has to be back for work? What if they cant afford to make said arrangements? Everyones circumstances are different.

4. Fear of Amusement parks after closing. Come on, there has to be some kind of phobia associated with this. I blame scooby doo and the gang. :sad2:

OP, its pretty funny how aghast so many folks are that there is any circumstance under which a reasonable person might choose to decline the prize. Here are just a few scenarios,

1. Dont care about the castle. 'Most of these folks are labeled as wack jobs around these parts,' Having been to europe and in 'Real' castles, somehow the make believe ones arent that big of a deal. :confused3 (I wouldnt mind staying tho' :rolleyes1 )

2. Family size. Ok what if you have SIX kids in your group? Is it really selfish to decide that splitting up the group and not including someone is a great idea? Who knows what the family had planned that could be important to them? Even if its FIVE as was given in once scenario, Some folks might not want to have to send mom or dad or grandma/grandpa on there seperate way, I dont think thats selfish, quite the opposite really.

3. Travel Arrangements. Now alot of folks have said well just reschedule the flight, what if thats not an option? What if someone has to be back for work? What if they cant afford to make said arrangements? Everyones circumstances are different.

4. Fear of Amusement parks after closing. Come on, there has to be some kind of phobia associated with this. I blame scooby doo and the gang. :sad2:

thank you!! it really is quite bizarre that so many people cant comprehend this. its not that i dont care about the castle, but to me its just a room, i dont get to keep it.
i will be traveling with 8 people. i couldnt imagine leaving any one of them so i could enjoy somehting without them.
yeah i keep seeing people would change their flights. i cant do that. first off im only paying $69 a person for my flight home. the cost to get everyone home the next day wouldnt be worth the $600 prize. plus my husband will have to be at work at midnight the night we return.
for me personally, i could never stay in a locked room over night.
its great that so mnay people are hoping they win, i hope they do.

I was under the impression that it was given away to someone entering MK early each day...meaning they'd planned to spend at least part of the day in the park anyway. I heard that there are duties that go along with it...such as riding in the Dreams parade. I know the winning family rode the day we were there for the parade.

It would be a real toss-up for my family. We don't get to do disney very often, so it would be a spur-of-the-moment decision as to whether it was worth it to forfeit one full day in the park in trade for staying in the castle.

I have a feeling my boys would pass on the castle stay if it meant missing Pirates, etc.

no, you can win anywhere. but yes it does take a lot of time to get the paperwork done, and then go get your bags and gring them to the castle. then the next morning getting your bags and bringing them back to the resort. they do provide a limo, but it still takes time.

I know if you're directly related to a CM you can't accept it...so, what if we're not married yet at the time it's awarded (my fiancee is an intern)? I know I'd be allowed to stay, but what about him as my guest? Would he be allowed to stay with me if -I- won?

The only way I'd turn it down is if he couldn't stay with me. It's not a problem for me to 'change my plans' for WDW because I only live 15 minutes away. I guess if I were coming from somewhere else...I'd have to really think about it. But, I'd probably try to find a way to make it work just because I really, really like the inside of the room and tub. I love that kind of stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter