TV Throwdown: The Flintstones vs The Jetsons

Huh. I graduated from college in 1985 and don't think I ever saw the newer ones. Not much cartoon watching for me after those years (well maybe the Simpsons)

The new ones came out in 1985 for syndication. They made 41 episodes to combine with the original 24 to get to the magic 65 episode number for daily syndication. They then did a third season of just 10 episodes in 1987. The 80's episodes can be identified by having Orbitty, the very 80's style cute alien pet:

1705937381232.png

Otherwise, the shows are practically identical. There were also two movies, one for TV and one for theaters. The TV Movie, Rockin' with Judy Jetson is essentally a remake of the classic season one episode with the "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah" song, except with a more 80's style pop star as Judy's idol/crush.

There were also two movies, one for TV and one for theaters. The TV Movie, Rockin' with Judy Jetson is essentally a remake of the classic season one episode with the "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah" song, except with a more 80's style pop star as Judy's idol/crush.

there was allot of hate from the old school fans of the jetsons towards the theatrical movie when the powers that be re-cast judy with pop singer tiffany in hopes of attracting a younger audience. the original voice actor (janet waldo) had already completed recording and there are a few lines of dialogue that somehow made their way into the final cut but for that decision killed what many of us were eagerly anticipating as a great reunion of the cast. the casting director for the movie was so disgusted that she requested her name not be included in any credits.

interesting disney tie in to the show-pat carrol who later went on to play ursula in the original little mermaid unsuccessfully sued hanna-barbera over the jetsons. she was originaly cast as jane, recorded the first episode and was then fired (along with morey amsterdam from 'the dick van dyke show' who had been hired/recorded the first episode playing george). the voices we know for george and jane are so iconic it would be facinating to hear these other actor takes on them.

there was allot of hate from the old school fans of the jetsons towards the theatrical movie when the powers that be re-cast judy with pop singer tiffany in hopes of attracting a younger audience. the original voice actor (janet waldo) had already completed recording and there are a few lines of dialogue that somehow made their way into the final cut but for that decision killed what many of us were eagerly anticipating as a great reunion of the cast. the casting director for the movie was so disgusted that she requested her name not be included in any credits.

interesting disney tie in to the show-pat carrol who later went on to play ursula in the original little mermaid unsuccessfully sued hanna-barbera over the jetsons. she was originaly cast as jane, recorded the first episode and was then fired (along with morey amsterdam from 'the dick van dyke show' who had been hired/recorded the first episode playing george). the voices we know for george and jane are so iconic it would be facinating to hear these other actor takes on them.

Yep - the theatrical movie was somewhat ill-conceived. If I recall, the plot was also ripped from a previous episode, where the millionth cog is rolling off the assembly line or something. It feels like they mismanaged something that could have been great. Goerge O'Hanlon died shortly after recording his lines for it, as did Mel Blanc.

Last edited:
Goerge O'Hanlon dies shortly after recording his lines for it

yes, he suffered a stroke at the recording studio and passed later that day.

interesting trivia-his cousin virginia o'hanlon is THE VIRGINIA of the famous newspaper editorial 'yes, virginia there is a santa claus':santa:

As for the Flintstones ending credits, why didn’t Fred just hop thru the open window when the cat put him out? Just like the cat did when Fred put it out.

If I was Wilma I’d let Fred bang on the door all night. No way would I let him in if he couldn’t figure it out on his own.
You try to jump through a window after your legs being your car's engine all day. My favorite is the ribs tipping the car over. HAHA.

Well, if SMURFS aren't on the ballot, it'd be Jetsons for me. Liked the ideas and dreaming it gave me. To wake up from bed, get on a moving walkway and get showered/shaved/dressed by robot arms is a personal goal of mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter