TV Throwdown: The Flintstones vs The Jetsons

The Jetsons had Rosie - gave me hope that I would have a robot maid when I was older and wouldn't have to do housework. They lied - the roomba is not even close to a Rosie. Their cars bothered me though - it wasn't believable for me that there would be that little traffic in the future.

I should watch them both again - it has been way too long since I've seen either so I probably shouldn't even vote.

The Jetsons!!!

I’m particularly partial to the episodes from the original run between 62-63. It captured so much of the mid-century modern vibe that I still adore. DH got a real earful about the Jetsons recently with the passing of Gina Lollabrigida and how she was parodied on the Jetsons with Gina Lolajupiter. Although Las Venus is probably my fave from the original run.

I wasn't allowed to watch much TV as a kid. What I saw of the Flintstones I thought was just stupid. I watched the Jetsons more. I guess I was more interested in space theme than stone age? Just looked it up, the Jetsons only ran for 1 season

Unfair question! :p If I must choose one, I'll go with the Jetsons. I always watched with envy wishing I could push a button & get anything I wanted to eat. I also wanted Jane's chair, so I could just sit down & be ready to go in a matter of minutes.

I have Boomerang (the cartoon streaming service where both live).
I just checked and there are 12 volumes of The Flintstones, and 6 of the Jetsons. I think a “volume” is half a season, since it seems to be 12-14 episodes.

I also prefer the Fiintstones. Yabba Dabba Doo!

That's so funny that this came up now. Yesterday I was talking to mom (who has dementia) about both cartoons. When I described them, she remembered The Flintstones but not The Jetsons. So her vote would be the Flintstones.

The reason it came up was because she was marveling about all I can do on that "thing I hold in my hand" and I was telling her how when I was a kid we used to watch a cartoon that had all these crazy space age inventions (like talking to someone on a computerized phone and seeing their face!) and now we're using a bunch of them. So my vote is for The Jetsons.

I can't believe Jetson's only ran so briefly. It was such a big part of my childhood. We were so excited when we went to the Space Needle in Seattle!

Last edited:

Just asked DS and he votes The Flintstones, so do I.
I did love the Jetsons as well, and several years ago
I bought a battery operated Rosie ornament for our tree.
She says several phrases in the original voice.
Excuse me while I go push her button :tiptoe:

I remember watching The Flintstones more. I need to exclude the episodes with Gazoo, though, because I hated him.
Came here to say the same about Gazoo. Was flipping through the tv other night and saw they were on Boomerang so stopped to watch. It was a Gazoo episode. I had choice words for him/the tv and changed it. lol

I loved both shows, but I'm going to vote for the Flintstones.

The topic of this thread caught my eye because I do remember as a small child being able to hire a video from the local video store that was actually 'The Flintstones MEET The Jetsons'! I really don't remember much about it, but I remember wanting to hire that one every single time lol!

Jetsons had one season in 62 but then came back again for 2 more seasons in 85.

Interestingly, the original run was the shorter run, and when it came back they did more episodes with all of the smae voice cast. When I was a kid, they just ran all of them together in syndication and I didn't realize some were so much older. You can tell the difference in certain cultural portrayals, but otherwise it's so incredibly faithful that you wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the original run was the shorter run, and when it came back they did more episodes with all of the smae voice cast. When I was a kid, they just ran all of them together in syndication and I didn't realize some were so much older. You can tell the difference in certain cultural portrayals, but otherwise it's so incredibly faithful that you wouldn't know.
Huh. I graduated from college in 1985 and don't think I ever saw the newer ones. Not much cartoon watching for me after those years (well maybe the Simpsons)

I liked the Jetsons - but 1000% my vote is for the Flintstones. I loved the clever humor, some of the similarities to Honeymooners, (which I read was the creator's inspiration) and all the snarky animal comments. I still watch it today and smile.

there was some inspiration for the jetsons from a non animated tv show as well-rosie thier maid was based on the title character from the show 'hazel'.
DH got a real earful about the Jetsons recently with the passing of Gina Lollabrigida and how she was parodied on the Jetsons with Gina Lolajupiter.
she was also spoofed on an episode of the flintstones-'wilma the maid'. the italian maid in the episode is named 'lollobrickida' (she quits because of fred's awful singing).

there was some inspiration for the jetsons from a non animated tv show as well-rosie thier maid was based on the title character from the show 'hazel'.

she was also spoofed on an episode of the flintstones-'wilma the maid'. the italian maid in the episode is named 'lollobrickida' (she quits because of fred's awful singing).

I vaguely remember the Flinstones spoof. For whatever reason, the Jetsons one is burned in my brain. I do recall hearing the Hazel ties for Rosie. I can see that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter