Universal Power pass questions

Keladry84

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking about taking a last-minute short trip to Universal January 2-4. Right now it is theoretical as it depends on being able to get decent return airfare. I would get a new Power annual pass for the trip and utilize a passholder discount rate at the hotel. However, January 2 is a blockout date for the power pass. To be able to visit the park on arrival day, I am debating purchasing a regular ticket and upgrading to the pass during my trip. I have a couple of questions:

- To get the hotel passholder rate: do you need to present the annual pass upon check-in, or just sometime during the trip before check-out?
- If I visit/enter the park on a regular ticket on the 2nd, would I be able to upgrade to the Power Pass in the park on the 2nd? Or would I be forced to upgrade to the next highest pass as it is a blockout date for that pass?
- If I use a regular ticket on the 2nd, and wait until the 3rd to upgrade, would I be able to get a Power Pass, or be forced to do the higher pass level as had used the first day of the regular ticket on a blockout date for the power pass?

My thought would be that I could store luggage with the bellhop on arrival, visit the park on regular ticket, upgrade while in the park and then check in to the hotel. It would be helpful to know though if I would be forced to choose between the higher pass rate or the hotel discount. Controversially, if I don't need to show the pass exactly at check-in, I can wait until the 3rd in the park to update.

Thanks for any insight! My trip is only 50-50 of happening, but it's good to know going in what to expect to help inform decisions.

You probably can’t get an AP rate for the 2nd unless you booked it at the AP rate a while ago. Not everyone with an AP gets a discount on a hotel. You have to see the rate available and book it. Usually a few months before your trip.

I asked the same question about upgrading to a seasonal pass after using a regular ticket on a block out date. You definitely used to be able to do it but the most recently someone did that successfully was 6-12 months ago. It would probably work. You don’t need to show an AP to get the AP rate until checkout so that’s not a problem if you’ve already booked an AP rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter