Upgrades from POP to SSR/OKW

LIGrumpyGirl

DIS Veteran
I just read on the resorts board that people are being offered upgrades from the POP to SSR or OKW in August due to overbooking. One person is going for 13 nights and is still paying the POP price for a 1 bedroom...a $5000 savings.

Is this a normal? If I was a member trying to get a room for then I would be UPSET!!! Any thoughts?

Disney still owns thousands of unsold points at SSR and they have just as much right to use them as we do. If they want to use those points to give people "free" upgrades, so be it. It's just another tactic to help sell DVC points.

I just read on the resorts board that people are being offered upgrades from the POP to SSR or OKW in August due to overbooking. One person is going for 13 and is still paying the POP price for a 1 bedroom...a $5000 savings.

Is this a normal? If I was a member trying to get a room for then I would be UPSET!!! Any thoughts?

It's a separate allotment of rooms. These rooms are owned by Disney. By the CRO. As for the one bedroom they might only have those available in their inventory or trying to get people hooked on DVC.

It's not DVC points. So no it doesn't make me upset.

Disney still owns thousands of unsold points at SSR and they have just as much right to use them as we do. If they want to use those points to give people "free" upgrades, so be it. It's just another tactic to help sell DVC points.

Well here's to typing at the same time. Just a tad slower on my end!!:lmao:

I didn't realize this was a common thing...thanks for the info.

It is not necessarily a common thing but there is nothing about the practice that should concern any DVC member as it truly does not affect them.

there are a lot of discounts for cash offered
at ssr because disney still has unsold points
there. i've also noticed a lot of discounts
at okw and disney must have points there
becsuse they are actively promoting addons
at okw.

This has happened for the last two years during Pop Warner, and Cheerleading competitions. It has become somewhat "normal" during certain times of the year.

Hi! I'm the other person the first post was talking about. I know at first when I booked and she told me it was saving me 5000$ I couldn't believe it. The CM I spoke with explained that they are doing to because all the value resorts are booked up over labor day weekend.Due to the free dinning promotion that they are offering. She said that the promotion runs to june 24 and disney would like to get more people booked over the labor day weekend. They are only opening a limitted about of rooms at OKW & SSR. So I don't think this will hinder any DVC owners. I feel that I am very lucky to have received this offer.
Laura

As a DVC member here, that $5000 savings will turn into a new DVC membership. :rotfl:

A number of years ago, I had a great cash rate at Vero for a beach vacation. I had a little info about DVC from a friend, but pretty much thought we couldn't afford it. DH wanted to hear nothing about DVC, after all we were usually All-Star or CBR people, certainly not ever going to spend the money for a deluxe. Nope, never going to happen.

Well, I kept very quiet about DVC, didn't mention it, that would have been nagging. DH goes down to the lobby for some other reason and comes back having signed us up for the DVC tour. This made it DH's idea, not mine, so I agreed to the tour. (I wanted to go hug Juan the DVC guide.)

Long story short, we love DVC and have added on 3 times. Take the time to think about DVC even if your first thought is no.

Hi! I'm the other person the first post was talking about. I know at first when I booked and she told me it was saving me 5000$ I couldn't believe it. The CM I spoke with explained that they are doing to because all the value resorts are booked up over labor day weekend.Due to the free dinning promotion that they are offering. She said that the promotion runs to june 24 and disney would like to get more people booked over the labor day weekend. They are only opening a limitted about of rooms at OKW & SSR. So I don't think this will hinder any DVC owners. I feel that I am very lucky to have received this offer.
Laura
We received an unexpected and most delightful upgrade when checking into AKL following the Magic's return repositioning trip through the Panama Canal (2005?). What a treat!! :cloud9:

I hope your visit is perfect in every way. Enjoy each moment!

Please don't take my post the wrong way...I am happy for anybody that gets an upgrade. I was just wondering if this was something that happened often and if it was at members' "expense" (meaning can't get a room). I am guessing with SSR opening all their buildings they must have a lot of rooms.

Thanks for all the info and I am glad others will get to enjoy my "home" :goodvibes

Please don't take my post the wrong way...I am happy for anybody that gets an upgrade. I was just wondering if this was something that happened often and if it was at members' "expense" (meaning can't get a room). I am guessing with SSR opening all their buildings they must have a lot of rooms.

Thanks for all the info and I am glad others will get to enjoy my "home" :goodvibes

I did not take it that way, just that you were not aware of the different inventories. Actually I don't think it is a huge number getting the offer. The thread discussing it seems to be the same people just talking about it.

I got the upgrade! I was booked in All Star Music and got the email about upgrading last night. I was skeptical, but it really happened! I got a 1-bedroom villa for 7 nights at SSR for a few dollars less than my original booking at All Star Music! I'm sure this will ruin me for less expensive rooms though ;)

I got the upgrade! I was booked in All Star Music and got the email about upgrading last night. I was skeptical, but it really happened! I got a 1-bedroom villa for 7 nights at SSR for a few dollars less than my original booking at All Star Music! I'm sure this will ruin me for less expensive rooms though ;)

And will end up costing you $15K+ for a DVC membership! :)
Congrats, and enjoy your stay!!

Congrats to the people who got upgraded. You'll get spoiled, though! Those one bedrooms are wonderful.

I'm one who got the upgrade too, for 10 days and 3 rooms no less. It is an upgrade worth over $8300!! We are all REALLY excited and can't believe it's true. I do think that it wasn't offered to as many people as it may seem like. My dad got the email and almost trashed it, thinking it was some sort of timeshare scam. I'd be that a lot of people who aren't DISers may have done the same thing. Even after getting upgraded, Dad is still skeptical and has checked the website repeatedly for confirmation and even called Disney to confirm that I really did get the upgrade and it wasn't through some third-party timeshare company.

I wish I could consider DVC, we are AP holders and every vacation I take is to WDW. But I just do not have the money for it right now... you can't squeeze blood from a stone! I'm hoping my parents will fall in love with the place and take the tour, and buy and then share points with us "kids." ;) Hey a girl can dream!

Congrats all...
Those 1 bedrooms are awesome....
You'll get lost in the bathroom:lmao:
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter