Vero treasures and hidden secrets

There is a flying school in Vero, and also got to see how they build custom airplanes there....

I think it was cessna?

Goldi

Wow! In our visits we never left the property - well, except for Dodger games! We are going to have to try some of this stuff next time.

Just a little "hidden" something we experienced - when we were there last we stayed in room 2229 - it's at the end of a hallway and is L shaped. You enter and go down the top of the L and this is where the "kitchen" is located with the sitting chair. You turn the corner on the bottom of the L and this is where the closet is, then the 2 beds and TV and finally the balcony. You actually end up with views on three sides. To make it better, it would have been nice to have an additional table and chairs in the "kitchen" area.

We weren't sure about it at first - but we put our baby to sleep in the pack 'n' play around the corner from the two beds and didn't worry so much about waking her.

I'm not sure this is a "Treasure" - but it's not something everyone gets to see, so I thought I'd share.

:earsgirl:

I wonder if the hidden treasres have changed as a result of the new beach configuration and loss of some very nice local businesses.

Golf is definately not free, only for members on Weds is free. It is$1 per person each time, or $5 each unlimited for your lenghth of stay. They put a sticker on your room key and you just show that to get your clubs and balls. We just got back this past weekend.

We had a two bedroom lock off, 1428 1429, it has a slight ocean view, and pool view as well. It is a corner unit, and was great. It was an ideal location with 3 children in tow.

It was very quiet at the resort last week, they were doing alot of property maintenance, ie planting new foliage etc. Everything was up and running, and staff seemed very happy to be back to work.

We are planning a trip in June. I would love some more info on the character breakfast? Is it just certain days? Can I make a ressie before we arrive? Also, does anyone have any recent menus for Sonyas/Shutters? tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :Pinkbounc

I am loving this thread. I take my three children to WDW for 2 weeks every May/June and usually follow with a few days at Universal. For 2005 I told them that we were going to try Vero Beach. They are ages 12, 8, and 7, love the water, biking, mini-golf, and pretty much any other activity you can come up with. The main thing that I'm getting concerned about is being able to do the turtle watch program. This is top of their list and it sounds as if there may not be a definite way to insure that this activity will be possible. I've been reading about the "lottery"... Can anyone give me information about how I can insure that all 4 of us get to participate in this activity? We'll be there around the middle of June.

Thanks!!

there is also something called "turtle troup" that's for kids. this you sign up for at eb and flo's (when you arrive). my dd did this last year in mid july and loved it. they watched a movie about sea turtles, made a beach bag (with a beach theme) and then went down on the beach and dug up a leatherback turtle nest that had hatched probably a day before (or maybe 2, can't remember) but they found a baby leatherback that was still alive so they rescued him, (took him out of the nest put him on the beach so that he could get used to walking) and then tossed him into the ocean. very cool experience. We didn't have any luck with the turtle walk lottery that the resort offers, but there is another one (and I know it's posted someplace in this thread... :D maybe on page 4 or 5) . have a great time! maggie

ok, the other turtle walk info is at the top of page 6. :D other things we have discovered this week while we are here...

the energy encounter over at the nuclear power plant on hutchinson island
it's free and it's pretty cool. (dd age 9 recommends it highly) it's very hands on and informative and basically just cool. (www.fpl.com/encounter)

the manatee place over in fort pierce (which the front desk "did not recommend", maybe because you drive through a very inustrial part of town, who knows) we really liked. it's only a dollar per person and is fairly informative. (its right by the power station)

mclary treasure museum (unlike the other one, it's only a dollar) it was pretty cool too. (and it's pretty much 8 miles from the resort).

there is also a udt-seal museum (navy frogmen) which we haven't been too, but it's right over in fort pierce as well.

maggie

We will be going to Vero (finally talked the DH into it) next trip. Can anyone tell me when the campfires are? We will be there in early December - also anyone done treasure hunting on the beach? Is there a nearby place to rent metal detectors etc?

TIA
Paula in CT
pirate:

Thanks for the info. I found the info about the caribbean conservation corporation turtle walk program. I'll definitely check out these options before we go.

We just got back from Vero and had a magnificent time. Based on what we read, the resort was a disaster after the hurricanes. But for the work of the cast from VB and Orlando, the place would not have been the same.

Aside from the loss of the walkway to the beach and the foliage, the place looks great. Cast member after cast member told us about what a mess the resort was. Hundreds of crabs and tons of sand in Shutters - fish throughout the tunnel - rooms destroyed -

We met several families who lived in VB that had moved into the Disney resort while their houses were bring rebuilt.

We walked north on the beach - it was horrifying. Parking lots half gone, several homes toppled.

My new favorite event - especially for those of us who travel on Southwest - the front desk will gladly print your boarding passes. If you want to be an A, you can have it printed out at midnight. No charge!

From the pictures it looks like the beach area has greatly improved to a nice wide beach elliminating one of the big complaints. It would also be nice if the ocean was more visible from the resort. The storms may have had some positive effects on the resort.

The wall on the walkway certainly looks temporary. I hope to see that improved soon as well as wheelchair access to the beach restored.

I read in one of the posts above that there are snorkeling lessons - can you actually snorkel in vero beach?

Thanks
Leslie

DS8 took Scuba lessons at the resort in November.

He's hooked! We gave him fins and such for Christmas (you get to keep your snorkle and mask after the lesson.)

He was the only one taking the class that day so it was extra special for him.

It is well worth the $30!

I watched the snorkel instructor work with some pretty small kids (5-7?) and she was WONDERFUL with them last week.

I wish I would have signed my kids up. It would be nice for them to know how to do it properly so we can all snorkle together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter