VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hey Wilderness Dad . . . . great to hear from you! But looks like DiznyDi & I will just miss you in December.

One of the best things DiznyDi & I appreciate the most at VWL is waking up in the morning and hearing the boat horns (Lake view rooms obviously). I think hearing the Train whistles from my driveway would be a wonderful thing every morning, too!

Hey . . . maybe we can set up a BIG GROUPIE MEET at your house mid-December. You wouldn't mind have thirty or so people suddenly barge into your life looking for drinks and hors d'oeuvres, taking a few pictures, and abruptly leaving before the mess can be cleaned up would you? :cool1: Any parking problems or issues with the neighbors on that? :scared1: Ahhhhh . . . . . . Ok, maybe not; let Toni know she can relax . . . . :lmao:

Don't count us out! Remember we're still nearby. We can easily join you guys, work permitting. But, ah, yes. Let's meet at WDW, not my house. ;)

Getting toward the end of the pics from DL, but still have a few. . .

View of CA from the viewing deck
6th%20floor%202_zpsc6a72wk3.jpg
6th%20floor%203_zpsodmhtpba.jpg
Last%20night_zpscwlpy55y.jpg

For our last dinner. . .and what Disney should have done with Artist Point
Napa%202_zpszf5lu85v.jpg

Beautiful (and strikingly delicious) appetizers
Napa%204_zpsezs86gbi.jpg
Napa%205_zpsueojqexq.jpg

Ditto entrees
Napa%208_zpszepr2fce.jpg
Napa%209_zpsbxcbt0ka.jpg

Dessert
Napa%2010_zpswzzmhseb.jpg

And the crowning touch, a photo op with renowned chef Andrew Sutton
Napa%203_zpsp887jwqb.jpg

Here's the story leading up to the photo with Chef Sutton. (By the way, if you caught a Guy Fieri Christmas dining special from Disneyland a few years ago, Chef Sutton was the executive chef back then. He is now the Executive Chef over all the "signature" Disneyland restaurants to include Club 33.) Anyway, as we waited in the lobby for our table, in walked Chef Sutton. Luv will tell you I'm not gobsmacked by many things, but when he walked right by us, I turned to Luv and said, "look, look, look!" He smiled as he walked by as he no doubt heard me. Moments later, we were shown to our table, and he was in the open kitchen where he seemed to eye us as we sat down. A few minutes later, he approached us and said, "I understand it's your anniversary." He proceeded to chat with us for three or four minutes, and then Luv piped up, "I know my husband isn't the type to ask, but I'm sure he'd love to have his picture taken with you." You see the result. And to be honest, I was just about to ask him to do just that when the LOML beat me to it. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. What a great meal and amazing experience for our last night!

Corinne, Sounds like your trip is off to an amazing start! Thanks for the report on Ale and Compass. We are trying it for the 1st time in Oct. with friends and can't wait! Hope your trip continues to go well, and most of all, relax and have fun!!

Sleepy, thanks for the continuing pictures of your trip! I have seen Chef Sutton on a show or 2 so recognize him as such. Its cool that you folks got to meet him and I can relate too not being overly taken over by seeing celebs and such. I see them at WDW often and its neat to do so, but I don't go ga ga and get all excited. Figure they are on vacation like us and don't want to be bothered. But once, just once, I saw Bobby Cox, former Atlanta Braves manager as he was coming out of AKL Jambo as we were entering. I told Tammy I have to go speak to him, and found myself feeling as if he were someone I knew all my life. I shook hands with him and he felt like a grandfatherly kind of guy to me, someone who was willing to give me the time of day. That was one of those moments for me like you felt seeing Chef Sutton. Im glad you had that moment! And thanks for sharing it with us:goodvibes

Sleepy...thank you for taking the time to post those great pictures, and for sharing your story about Chef Sutton. I wonder if he and other CM's realize the lasting impact that a few moments of kindness can have on guests. While we have gone to other places such as Universal Studios and enjoyed meeting some nice employees, we just haven't received the same "extra step" moments as we have with Disney. It's a big part of what draws us back.

Good Evening Groupies! Yesterday we enjoyed a great day at the Studios. We headed to TSL and our FP for TS, still one of our favs! We checked out the new rides, but they both had far too long wait times (Slinky Dog was 100 minutes). As others have reported, it is very hot there, as there is very little shade.

We watched One Mans Dream. I truly love sitting through this, and hearing Walt, in his own words speak about his life and career. In case you were wondering, yes, as always, I cried. We rode ToT, Muppets, had lunch at 50’s, and then Dana, our son and gf rode RnR. The photograph from their ride is HYSTERICAL. My son is pretending to be asleep, his gf is looking adorable as ever, and in back my husband is feigning fear, while the single rider next to him is also posing for the camera, oh my goodness too funny!

We were going to spend a few hours at the pool, but a storm rolled in so we all napped instead. :laughing: We headed to Epcot and rode Soarin prior to our dinner reservation at Via Napoli. When we were there in May, the back of the restaurant was undergoing renovations, and it is now complete. It is MUCH quieter, which was very nice. We walked around World Showcase and enjoyed a few beverages. :drinking1

Today we had breakfast at Ale and Compass, and then spent the day at Stormalong Bay, which was very relaxing. Our son and gf had a ME pickup for 4:00 :worried:, so after they left we headed over to Epcot....ok side rant...I am hoping it is because it’s the weekend, but both yesterday and today Epcot was insane. I am honestly not a huge fan of Food & Wine, and I am disappointed they have pushed it back so early. I like the idea of F & W, but the crowds are just too much sometimes. We did enjoy some yummy sampling’s and a few more beverages. More storms rolled in so we headed back to the resort.

Corinne...we are enjoying your trip report. Sounds like you are having a great time!

we headed over to Epcot....ok side rant...I am hoping it is because it’s the weekend, but both yesterday and today Epcot was insane. I am honestly not a huge fan of Food & Wine, and I am disappointed they have pushed it back so early. I like the idea of F & W, but the crowds are just too much sometimes.

It really is amazing that Disney is able to defy the normal attendance patterns. September used to be a very quiet time at WDW with some of the lowest crowds of the year. I think that whoever came up with the F&W Festival idea is now a VP of something. That idea alone has turned September thru Thanksgiving into a much higher demand time than it used to be. It also helps that millions of baby boomers are empty-nesting and retiring each year and can go during this time. Though I am always amazed at the number of school age children at WDW at every time of the year.

Corinne...we are enjoying your trip report. Sounds like you are having a great time!

It really is amazing that Disney is able to defy the normal attendance patterns. September used to be a very quiet time at WDW with some of the lowest crowds of the year. I think that whoever came up with the F&W Festival idea is now a VP of something. That idea alone has turned September thru Thanksgiving into a much higher demand time than it used to be. It also helps that millions of baby boomers are empty-nesting and retiring each year and can go during this time. Though I am always amazed at the number of school age children at WDW at every time of the year.

Granny~ I could not agree more. I was pretty hopeful when we first arrived because the crowds seemed very low at the MK. In hindsight, I think that it was likely due to the fact that it was closing at 6 for MNSSHP, so people just don’t seem to go there that day. Side note, the Halloween Party now begins on August 30th. So, now with Free Dining coupled with F&W, September is no longer very quiet.

We enjoyed the Studios this morning, rode TS, ToT had lunch then headed back to the BC so I could create my Mickey Tie Dye shirt! :lovestruc I wanted to do this at The WL last December and the timing never quite worked out. The lovely CM asked if I was a DVC Member, so I received a discount-$15 for a fun MM shirt! It needs to remain wrapped for 24-48 hours, I cannot wait to see what it looks like! :yay:

We don’t have any plans tonight, but I think we may go to MK and TOWL at some point this evening.

Last edited:
Jimmy, do you have to evacuate due to Hurricane Florence? We’re starting to wonder if we will be able to get out on Thursday, last year we canceled our trip due to Irma. I think this will be our last September trip!

ok side rant...I am hoping it is because it’s the weekend, but both yesterday and today Epcot was insane. I am honestly not a huge fan of Food & Wine, and I am disappointed they have pushed it back so early. I like the idea of F & W, but the crowds are just too much sometimes. We did enjoy some yummy sampling’s and a few more beverages. More storms rolled in so we headed back to the resort.
I understand your ire. Disney continues to push the envelope of crowd control. To them, anything short of packed parks every single day seems to be a failure. My concern is that once Disney gets to where there is no down time, will people start avoiding the Mouse? Or if they do go, will they start avoiding parks and just staying at their resorts? I have to admit that the past few years, I sense Disney wringing every single dollar out of every single event. Then again, I am old and crotchety.

Hi Groupies!

We are here! Woke up at 3:15 for our 6:00 AM flight. o_O Perfect flight, got here fairly quickly, and since our son and gf had checked in the day before, we strolled right in as our Owners Locker was being delivered!

The kids met us for lunch at Ale & Compass, which we really like. We had Mother’s Day Brunch there this year, and will be having breakfast there tomorrow. I am happy to see it now seems to be pretty busy there throughout the day and night. We’ve always liked it, and still refer to it as Yacht Club Galley, even though it’s had two name changes since then! :sail:

After lunch Dana and I headed to MK because I NEEDED ago go there! It had rained for a brief period of time and it seemed to really clear the park. We strolled for a bit, rode PoC then returned to the room. Hung out and recharged, then headed to AK. We had FP’s for Dinosaur, Safari, Flight of Passage. The kids also rode Expedition Everest and we saw Tough to be a Bug. We then headed to Disney Springs where we had a reservation for The Boathouse, which is also one of our favs.

We got back to the resort and they all got ice cream, I dunked my toes in Stormalong, ahhhh. The kids couldn’t believe we lasted as long as we did ( especially without a nap!!) since they took the same flight a day earlier, and went to bed much earlier the night before!

We’re at the BCV. I had requested an upper floor close to main lobby, and we have just that! We are facing Epcot and and have a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower. Our son told us they saw the fireworks the night before, and not realizing Epcot was closing at 10 last night, we were treated to the performance from our balcony! We could hear the music loud and clear and enjoyed the fireworks and lasers! It was the perfect ending to our first night! :cloud9:

Off to DHS! Have a great Saturday!

Corinne
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Sounds like a lot of fun has been going on:thumbsup2
I second this! We very much appreciate, let's make that inhale trip reports.

Now, I desperately need advice on the 6am flight bit. Seems Jetblue has zapped the only other flight of the day out to Orlando (or anything connecting to it) and has moved me to 6am. Question is: coffee, or no coffee and sleep on the plane?
I've started calling JB my Charlie Brown airline. Seems if any little thing can go wrong, it will. Oh good grief.

I second this! We very much appreciate, let's make that inhale trip reports.

Now, I desperately need advice on the 6am flight bit. Seems Jetblue has zapped the only other flight of the day out to Orlando (or anything connecting to it) and has moved me to 6am. Question is: coffee, or no coffee and sleep on the plane?
I've started calling JB my Charlie Brown airline. Seems if any little thing can go wrong, it will. Oh good grief.

Cindy, when are you scheduled to fly? Is your flight change due to the hurricane? We nearly always book the 6 AM flight, I don’t have coffee until I arrive at the airport, I’m still able to nap with or without caffeine.

Jimmy, do you have to evacuate due to Hurricane Florence? We’re starting to wonder if we will be able to get out on Thursday, last year we canceled our trip due to Irma. I think this will be our last September trip!
We won't have too since we live more inland. Its path is predicted too be very close in our area, center slightly NE of where we are located. Hugo and Fran passed over us in the past few years, we got a lot of rain, some wind from those. This storm looks a lot bigger than those.
We usually wait till mid Oct to do a trip towards any coastal area or WDW as historically, most Hurricanes fizzle out by that time, though the season lasts until early Nov, I think?? I hope your travel plans work out with no hiccups, sending Moose Dust!!

I understand your ire. Disney continues to push the envelope of crowd control. To them, anything short of packed parks every single day seems to be a failure. My concern is that once Disney gets to where there is no down time, will people start avoiding the Mouse? Or if they do go, will they start avoiding parks and just staying at their resorts? I have to admit that the past few years, I sense Disney wringing every single dollar out of every single event. Then again, I am old and crotchety.

Disney continues to push the envelope of crowd control. To them, anything short of packed parks every single day seems to be a failure.This statement is so true. And yet like livestock being lead to the(you know where)or moths to a flame, we continue to go back. As DVCers, I somewhat understand why we do so, we are invested in it all. But for those who are not, why at this point would they continue to return? Once, maybe twice. But to go back time and again to face the crowds. I too remember how "it used to be" the good ol days so to speak. But its funny that a friend of mine who has been a DVCer way longer than me was saying some of the same things 10 years ago. How things have changed, etc., etc. He wasn't happy with it, now we aren't happy with it.
We are a passionate bunch, us Groupies. I think in a very general way, most if not all of us feel the way you do Patrick. But, there is a flip side for me, and again, for a lot of other folks here.
I know no matter what, each time there(WDW) gives me some sense of joy. Or the joy of building up to it. Right now, my countdown is at 30. And that brings me joy. Years ago, that joy was of the newness of it all. The fun we were looking forward too, and the fun we were going to have, the memories that were going to be created. These days, that joy is more about getting away from work, and doing what we can on a leisurely pace. So the reasons of joy have changed, but its still there.
I have to remind myself from time to time how fortunate, how blessed me and my family are that we can go as often as we do, mainly because of DVC. We are going to Hawaii(Aulani) in Feb and looking at the prices to stay on or near Waikiki are unreal these days. If it weren't for DVC, not too sure I would be making the trip.
I think this AM I am feeling a bit of longing for it all. Missing it. So, like the lamb headed for (you know where)and the moth to the flame, I will fill my wallet up in 30 days, head South, stay a couple weeks, and hope I have enough moolah to get me back home. You think the gas station would trade out fuel for Mickey Ears, just in case:confused3

Cindy, when are you scheduled to fly? Is your flight change due to the hurricane? We nearly always book the 6 AM flight, I don’t have coffee until I arrive at the airport, I’m still able to nap with or without caffeine.
Flight isn't until December. However I need to tell JB that I accept or reject their change to my itinerary. What kind of self respecting airline runs only one flight a day to Disney? :rolleyes:

Disney continues to push the envelope of crowd control. To them, anything short of packed parks every single day seems to be a failure.This statement is so true. And yet like livestock being lead to the(you know where)or moths to a flame, we continue to go back. As DVCers, I somewhat understand why we do so, we are invested in it all. But for those who are not, why at this point would they continue to return? Once, maybe twice. But to go back time and again to face the crowds. I too remember how "it used to be" the good ol days so to speak. But its funny that a friend of mine who has been a DVCer way longer than me was saying some of the same things 10 years ago. How things have changed, etc., etc. He wasn't happy with it, now we aren't happy with it.
We are a passionate bunch, us Groupies. I think in a very general way, most if not all of us feel the way you do Patrick. But, there is a flip side for me, and again, for a lot of other folks here.
I know no matter what, each time there(WDW) gives me some sense of joy. Or the joy of building up to it. Right now, my countdown is at 30. And that brings me joy. Years ago, that joy was of the newness of it all. The fun we were looking forward too, and the fun we were going to have, the memories that were going to be created. These days, that joy is more about getting away from work, and doing what we can on a leisurely pace. So the reasons of joy have changed, but its still there.
I have to remind myself from time to time how fortunate, how blessed me and my family are that we can go as often as we do, mainly because of DVC. We are going to Hawaii(Aulani) in Feb and looking at the prices to stay on or near Waikiki are unreal these days. If it weren't for DVC, not too sure I would be making the trip.
I think this AM I am feeling a bit of longing for it all. Missing it. So, like the lamb headed for (you know where)and the moth to the flame, I will fill my wallet up in 30 days, head South, stay a couple weeks, and hope I have enough moolah to get me back home. You think the gas station would trade out fuel for Mickey Ears, just in case:confused3
Very true, JT. We ARE fortunate to have Disney's greed be something we worry over. And, you're correct in that I still look forward to going, just not vacationing the way I used to. We just watched a video of our first cruise together back in 2011, and even since then, major changes have occurred. But, the excitement is there. Now, it's at a reduced level. I used to immerse myself in the venture, whereas now I look for little snippets that remind of a time when Disney was less complex and more customer-oriented. So, Luv will be back in October; we go together in March; and then we're doing a Christmas cruise in 2019. Yep, we keep going since, as you say, we have a vested interest. We just change how we go with the flow. . .pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter