• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Weather forecast for the next week to ten days is cold and a few days of blustery thrown in for good measure. I think I would enjoy a nice summer rainstorm on my balcony at VWL right now. P.S. I have a video of this too, but I can't seem to save it to my photos on my iPad. Probably a storage issue.
IMG_7797.JPG

We interrupt this program to request that all Groupies and their extended families make sure to have on hand a pulse oximeter on hand and to use it. These go for about $10
Weather forecast for the next week to ten days is cold and a few days of blustery thrown in for good measure. I think I would enjoy a nice summer rainstorm on my balcony at VWL right now. P.S. I have a video of this too, but I can't seem to save it to my photos on my iPad. Probably a storage issue.
View attachment 489824

If you ever figure out how to post this I'd love to give it a listen. Florida rains + VWL = heaven.

Attention Groupies: please, if you don't already have a pulse oximeter at home, buy one. (Some fitbit bands may have this incorporated?) Once you have it, monitor everyone's O2 levels at home, try for at rest morning and night just to get a feel for the numbers which should show between 94-100. Keep monitoring every day. It's quick, simple and painless.

If at rest you drop down into the 70s or 80s (unless you normally operate low) call your doctor and have them look at you for potential pneumonia. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but rather want everyone to be vigilant. Know your numbers and monitor them. Covid-19 pneumonia from what I've been reading and heard from some friends sneaks up without much warning other than faster breathing which we tend not to notice. O2 numbers don't lie.

I have one monitor already as I have asthma. Bought one to send to my mom and another for my son to keep in his room as he is out working a store nearly every day and also has asthma. They're going for about $30 on a few sites.

Attention Groupies: please, if you don't already have a pulse oximeter at home, buy one. (Some fitbit bands may have this incorporated?) Once you have it, monitor everyone's O2 levels at home, try for at rest morning and night just to get a feel for the numbers which should show between 94-100. Keep monitoring every day. It's quick, simple and painless.

Cindy...I have to admit that I had no idea what a pulse oximeter was until I Googled it. And in doing so, I also found an article that indicated that professionals are split on having people buy these unless they have underlying respiratory issues such as your asthma. The American Lung Association indicated that use of this device without an underlying condition could lead to increased anxiety.

I don't know...it seems like it would be a good tool. But I can also see how people who are already freaking out over this disease (with good cause in some parts of the country) might find constant checking of their blood oxidation level pretty stressful. In any event, I appreciate you sharing the suggestion with us. :-)

Cindy...I have to admit that I had no idea what a pulse oximeter was until I Googled it. And in doing so, I also found an article that indicated that professionals are split on having people buy these unless they have underlying respiratory issues such as your asthma. The American Lung Association indicated that use of this device without an underlying condition could lead to increased anxiety.

I don't know...it seems like it would be a good tool. But I can also see how people who are already freaking out over this disease (with good cause in some parts of the country) might find constant checking of their blood oxidation level pretty stressful. In any event, I appreciate you sharing the suggestion with us. :-)

Hi Granny, :)

The intent here is not to raise anxiety, but rather get us to change behavior to help. Washing hands, wearing masks to protect others, social distancing are all top priority. Seems a couple ER physicians were unaware they had any issues, but they did notice their O2 levels dropping, and so they got attention. The one who sought out treatment sooner recovered faster. Putting it in ordinary terms, this virus is sneaky and people are not noticing intense breathing issues when they have them until it's progressed to the 50% point in oxygenation which is at the point of needing invasive assistance. Catch it early. Best off... don't catch it at all!

Sorry, bit of a lung expert here.

I now return us to our regularly scheduled Wilderness lodge and area images, videos and sounds.

Last edited:
Hi Groupies. Today was a tough day. I drove up to our place on Lake Superior to inspect the property post winter, run my Polaris Ranger in for some maintenance, and survey the situation locally in Duluth & Two Harbors (MN). First, it was really beautiful. Sunny, breezy (the way I like it), but a cool 42 degrees plus windchill. The property was in good shape, no trees down. But, the whole day I couldn’t shake the negative feeling of the upcoming season. Normally we travel about 23 weekends (some longer) every season. A summer schedule of guests is organized as we always have family & friends constantly. So many awesome memories, and I’m just depressed about how under the current restrictions we can’t do the things we normally do. Can’t have guests, only immediate household for now. Then I go to town, ran into a restaurant owner from one of my favorite spots dragging paint inside to do some painting while they’re closed. She was expecting the stay at home order to be extended to May 24th minimum (which falls in line since our cases are still climbing). So sad. Stopped by the marina, and they are already 4 weeks behind. Blah. My retaining wall I built held up pretty well, so that was a plus. But, you can sure see the power of the lake....4EFC3DE5-AEFD-43D8-8FA1-11261E5ABE9C.jpeg1119C9FA-4A34-4B56-9A35-B4D5F36BEFE5.jpeg

Then there was a sign that someone was having a sense of humor at least.....Pierre, the Voyageur sporting a new look..464A7B77-0D7D-4F79-ADBE-3018BB621109.jpeg

Last edited:
After just responding to a question if BRV is dated I felt like pulling out a good VWL photo. The green and red tile was mentioned more than once. I for one thought the floor tile was so very cool and unique. Definitely an "oldie" but in the good way and theme that it should be.

p309683106-5.jpg

If at rest you drop down into the 70s or 80s (unless you normally operate low) call your doctor and have them look at you for potential pneumonia. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but rather want everyone to be vigilant. Know your numbers and monitor them. Covid-19 pneumonia from what I've been reading and heard from some friends sneaks up without much warning other than faster breathing which we tend not to notice. O2 numbers don't lie.

I have one monitor already as I have asthma. Bought one to send to my mom and another for my son to keep in his room as he is out working a store nearly every day and also has asthma. They're going for about $30 on a few sites.

I actually had order us one of those 3 weeks ago just to be able to check. As you say, they aren't expensive and up until Covid 19 weren't difficult to get either. They seemed to be getting more back in stock again too.

After just responding to a question if BRV is dated I felt like pulling out a good VWL photo. The green and red tile was mentioned more than once. I for one thought the floor tile was so very cool and unique. Definitely an "oldie" but in the good way and theme that it should be.

p309683106-5.jpg
I am with you KAT, I liked this look

Kat, while I love the look, I HATE the fact that I get splashed with cold water whenever I turn on the shower. Not very user friendly IMO, but yes, uniquely VWL.

Well, I just spent a night in a hospital, and am happy to say I did not have a TIA! Wow, what a day on Wednesday for me! Afraid to go to hospital for thorough check up, afraid not to go. I did go, and was tested, and it was a complication from a condition I have. Spent the night, and was not tested for the virus, no fever.

So, I am happy to be home, and back reading how you all are doing. It’s a very rainy day in Cape May NJ.

Ron, my folks have a place at Badin Lake, not too far from Charlotte NC that we have been going too since 1972. Many fond memories. Lots of family over the years, especially when we were kids. I bet I logged 200 miles one that lake slalom skiing!

FF to now, Tammy, Casey and I love to still go as its a nice respite from the work week. Well like you are concerned that going is not going to be the same. We like to frequent a couple local eats and the area is very rural, so we cant imagine these places being supported strongly in a down economy. So hoping we find them still intact and thriving.

Be glad when all this mess is behind us. Really hoping GA and TX aren't jumping the gun too soon and it backfire. Its tough having to be the ones making the decisions Im sure on what to do.

Ron, my folks have a place at Badin Lake, not too far from Charlotte NC that we have been going too since 1972. Many fond memories. Lots of family over the years, especially when we were kids. I bet I logged 200 miles one that lake slalom skiing!

FF to now, Tammy, Casey and I love to still go as its a nice respite from the work week. Well like you are concerned that going is not going to be the same. We like to frequent a couple local eats and the area is very rural, so we cant imagine these places being supported strongly in a down economy. So hoping we find them still intact and thriving.

Be glad when all this mess is behind us. Really hoping GA and TX aren't jumping the gun too soon and it backfire. Its tough having to be the ones making the decisions Im sure on what to do.
Jimmy,

GA & TX are basically going to end up being test subjects. If they do well, more states will follow their lead. Fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter