Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Good morning all!

We are due to fly in Sunday afternoon and I’ve been reading guest experiences at Disney hotels during past hurricanes.

How did the Dolphin stack up? I assume it’s self contained with generators and stuff? How was the food/restaurant situation? Was there any issues with safety; ie, did you feel safe?

Have to decide by tonight whether or not to cancel and I keep going back and forth!

We are heading down today and I have the same questions.

@Paulines and @BeachClub2014 - my suggestion, as important as this issue is for your safety, call S/D and talk with them vs crowd sourcing for into. Personally, I can't say I've read about how S/D addressed this issue. Though you can pull some things by googling "Hurricane Irma Swan Dolphin hotel" Be safe!

@suemom2kay one of my camping friends does a lot of international travel and once said he has a routine of checking things as soon as he checks in, including the dispensers. I've never done that but maybe I should.

@suemom2kay one of my camping friends does a lot of international travel and once said he has a routine of checking things as soon as he checks in, including the dispensers. I've never done that but maybe I should.
Yeah... thanks... I travel every week for work and I do, but it irritates me to no end.

We checked in last night to the Dolphin and it is amazing! We were upgraded to a resort view room on a high level floor. We got to watch the fireworks from our room!! The staff have been incredible and everyone is so nice. We have a stay booked through Monday, has anyone heard about park closures or curfews due to the hurricane? We are supposed to do a quick one night stay at AofA for my daughter before moving to AKL on Tuesday. With the hurricane moving back from the weekend i'm wondering if I should try to add a day at AKL and cancel AofA. Does anyone have any advice for me? I have no idea what to do.

We checked in last night to the Dolphin and it is amazing! We were upgraded to a resort view room on a high level floor. We got to watch the fireworks from our room!! The staff have been incredible and everyone is so nice. We have a stay booked through Monday, has anyone heard about park closures or curfews due to the hurricane? We are supposed to do a quick one night stay at AofA for my daughter before moving to AKL on Tuesday. With the hurricane moving back from the weekend i'm wondering if I should try to add a day at AKL and cancel AofA. Does anyone have any advice for me? I have no idea what to do.

The timing and location of landfall for the hurricane is not set in stone, but making reservation changes need to be done sooner than later. We went through Matthew and Michael (a couple of other minor hurricanes and a few tropical storms) at Disney. Michael took a last minute turn and all we had was rain. Michael, on the other hand, made his presence felt for about 36 hours. At this point, Disney has instituted no shutdowns, but rest assured the Mouse is watching and will put a plan into action as soon as they are confident of the track/timing/magnitude of this storm.

Having been through a few hurricanes at Disney--I would be sure I was checked into whatever resort I chose by Monday (provided this storm stays on track AND timing is for overnight Monday into Tuesday) and stay put--that would leave out your night at AoA.

First of all, depending on when/if the storm hits, there could be road closures lock downs or any number of things that would prevent a move on Tuesday. Unfortunately, with hurricanes, tropical storms and the like--there is no way of knowing how they will behave until nearer in time. I would make a plan to stay put where you are now (provided you could extend) or make that move on Monday to AKL. But that's just me. :confused3

The timing and location of landfall for the hurricane is not set in stone, but making reservation changes need to be done sooner than later. We went through Matthew and Michael (a couple of other minor hurricanes and a few tropical storms) at Disney. Michael took a last minute turn and all we had was rain. Michael, on the other hand, made his presence felt for about 36 hours. At this point, Disney has instituted no shutdowns, but rest assured the Mouse is watching and will put a plan into action as soon as they are confident of the track/timing/magnitude of this storm.

Having been through a few hurricanes at Disney--I would be sure I was checked into whatever resort I chose by Monday (provided this storm stays on track AND timing is for overnight Monday into Tuesday) and stay put--that would leave out your night at AoA.

First of all, depending on when/if the storm hits, there could be road closures lock downs or any number of things that would prevent a move on Tuesday. Unfortunately, with hurricanes, tropical storms and the like--there is no way of knowing how they will behave until nearer in time. I would make a plan to stay put where you are now (provided you could extend) or make that move on Monday to AKL. But that's just me. :confused3
Thanks so much! We were here for Irma, but it was in the middle of our stay so no problem. I'm on hold now to try to move to AKL on Monday and skip AofA. Thanks for your advice!

Thanks so much! We were here for Irma, but it was in the middle of our stay so no problem. I'm on hold now to try to move to AKL on Monday and skip AofA. Thanks for your advice!

My pleasure, but if you went through Irma, you know all about lock downs, road closures, etc. You already knew what you needed to do. Hope it all turns out well and perhaps Dorian decides to avoid Orlando.

Hello!

I am looking for tips on when/how/where to get good $ rates for Summer 2020. (I don't have AAA, am not military, do belong to Costco, do have a Marriott membership although I haven't actually stayed in a Marriott in years so I don't have any points...) Is there a post someplace in these 469 pages that summarizes tips for getting the best rates?

(I looked at the early pages, but did not see anything - admittedly, it is RICH with information and I certainly could have missed it!)

Thanks very much!!

I have never been in any hurricanes, Florida or elsewhere. But I think if I had to be in a hurricane, I couldn't think of a better place to be than WDW. Probably any resort there. And certainly S/D among them, maybe at the top of the list of resorts. Disney takes preparation, safety, guest comfort (mental and physical) and subsequent cleanup VERY seriously. They know what do do, how to do it and when to do it.

Ny best to all who will there in the coming days, just listen to what they tell you or ask you to do. ☔

Is there a post someplace in these 469 pages that summarizes tips for getting the best rates?
Use this link to look for value days (about 6 months out or so) https://www.swandolphin.com/value-days/

If you're staying a few days, it might be worth a AAA membership for the year. Otherwise, search the thread for priceline tips since I think they offer the best rate through a discounter.

The other tip IMO is to book the lowest rate room possible. We never book a view or balcony. Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes we don't but I prefer to spend my $$ on activities. You could always ask how much the upcharge rate would be when you check in.

Hello!

I am looking for tips on when/how/where to get good $ rates for Summer 2020. (I don't have AAA, am not military, do belong to Costco, do have a Marriott membership although I haven't actually stayed in a Marriott in years so I don't have any points...) Is there a post someplace in these 469 pages that summarizes tips for getting the best rates?

(I looked at the early pages, but did not see anything - admittedly, it is RICH with information and I certainly could have missed it!)

Thanks very much!!

Be sure to check all the special rates on the hotel website. The senior rate, if you qualify, is usually a little better than AAA.

Hello!

Thanks very much!!
Are you a nurse or teacher? AAA membership may be worth it for the discount.

Just left the Swan this morning. Nice stay bookended br an aggravating check in and annoying last morning.

First, after having issues last time I had a concierge promise me he would see to the removal of the down items himself. I'm highly allergic and it has been a struggle in the past. He also said he upgraded our room and have us a $100 credit. None of that was noted or done. Had to show the on duty manager my email to get it.

Then this morning they were power washing outside our room at 445 am. It was loud! I know they have to clean, but come on! That early is ridiculous.

Hello!

Thanks very much!!
I would book the lowest refundable rate you can now and then watch Priceline and Hotwire as was mentioned above. Here’s a tutorial for figuring out blind deals on Priceline using hotel canary: https://touringplans.com/blog/2018/10/23/using-hotel-canary-to-book-priceline-express/

I posted a tutorial for Hotwire in this thread a while back but now Hotwire only shows the number of reviews sometimes. You can usually figure out what hotel it is anyway by cross checking the resort fee and amenities. Here’s a link to my original post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...s-information-questions.3264274/post-59093879

Note that the resort fee is higher now. I think it shows on Hotwire as $34? I’d check it against a transparent booking for Swan/Dolphin to be sure.

I would book the lowest refundable rate you can now and then watch Priceline and Hotwire as was mentioned above. Here’s a tutorial for figuring out blind deals on Priceline using hotel canary: https://touringplans.com/blog/2018/10/23/using-hotel-canary-to-book-priceline-express/

I posted a tutorial for Hotwire in this thread a while back but now Hotwire only shows the number of reviews sometimes. You can usually figure out what hotel it is anyway by cross checking the resort fee and amenities. Here’s a link to my original post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...s-information-questions.3264274/post-59093879

Note that the resort fee is higher now. I think it shows on Hotwire as $34? I’d check it against a transparent booking for Swan/Dolphin to be sure.

Confirming Hotwire currently shows it as $34 a night. I just snagged a Hotwire Express deal for the Dolphin and it showed $34 for the resort fee.

Just for clarity, the resort fee is still $30, plus tax. Which would bring it to something close to the $34.
Actually the Resort Fee was recently raised to $30 from $28 earlier this spring and with tax(s) it is now $33.75 for both the Swan & Dolphin. The third partry sites may show the correct $33.75 or round up to $34.00

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter