Warning - NOT allowed to use available dining credits at Yachtman Steakhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that they used the credit for someone not in their party. If you wanted to have an extra TS for your party during your stay by paying OOP for the kids I think it also benefits Disney because most parties will order wine and other items to increase the food tab. Restaurants make way more money off the the beverage part of a bill than the food.

I would say the problem is that there was an extra adult that was not on the dining plan. But the manager did sound rude.

Wow, I didn't know the dining plan was non-tranferable. Last Sept. we used two of our table service credits to pay for a friend that joined us. Our keys said 2 adults. I didn't have a problem either time. Maybe if it had said 2 adults and 1 child it would have been a different story. I was planning on doing this again this Sept. but might have to re-think it!

I think the manager was rude. However, I don't think he was wrong for trying to have the OP use the credits for the number of adults listed on the room card.

The number of people on the dining plan who are using credits to treat family/friends who aren't on the plan, must be getting out of hand. :confused3

I hope Disney finds a way to solve these issues without taking the plan away altogether. :guilty:

I looked at the brochure. It does state right away the DDP cannot be sold separately, transferred, refunded, or redeemed for cash in whole or part.

And it specifies 1 Quick Service meal, 1 snack and 1 Table Service meal per person, per night of the package stay for everyone in the party ages 3+.

I think the manager could have explained it in a better manner. But he probably is having to do that several times and getting impatient with it all together.

It worked out in the end, and it is good knowledge for OP and others for future use.

I am a big advocate of the "pooled" side of things to use on your party as you wish. The issue was that you were trying to feed 4 adults when you only had 3 on the plan.

WDWO

I agree that the problems seems to be that the card listed 3 adults not 4. That being said, the manager was completely out of line. A manager should never act like that. I hope that you write a letter and the situation is addressed.

And he's probably frustrated that they didn't give him an information system that would make these issues go away, one where he could just hold his hands up and say, "Sorry, but the system won't let me enter your order that way with the Dining Plan." I don't really blame the program managers: Sometimes it is really hard to guess how customers will exploit an offering. Disney's pretty-close to the best at it, but still WDW guests are as unpredictable as customers as customers of any other company, if not more so due to how quickly "tactics" about WDW spread.

I'm curious as he knew how many people were listed on the plan. I just went and pulled out my cards from our April trip and not one listed the total of people in our room. Each card had it listed next to the name what type of meal plan it was: adult or child. So unless I have a fluke on our cards, there would be no way of knowing. Since you did not order a child's meal there should not be an issue.

And sure you are technically not supposed to share the plan, but is it any different then going in and ordering 3 meals for 2 people to share? If you paid for the plan, and had points left, then they should be used as you see fit. What if it were the last day there and you needed to use them up? I would hate to see them wasted.

I don't think the manager handled this situation in the best manner. The explaination wasn't good and it came off rude.

I don't think that the OP was trying to "get over" on Disney, but they were doing what they believed was OK. I think we can all agree that the dining plan hasn't been explained very well. If Disney doesn't want these loopholes to be used, than they should create a way to stop it (rather than just leaving it up to managers).

Everyone is saying that their cards have the entire party on them...

2A 2C for 2 adults and 2 Kids​

Whether the manager was rude or not, we have one side of the story. Many times the messenger of something one does not want to hear is always considered rude.

The plan was paid for 3 adults not 4. It is not transferrable, I see no problem in enforcing that.

As Bicker said, just because others have reported on here that they have been able to do this or similar creative use of the plan does not mean everyone can or will be able to.

Everyone is saying that their cards have the entire party on them...

2A 2C for 2 adults and 2 Kids
Hmmm, I wonder if mine were a fluke then. We were at CSR the first week of April and none of our cards has that on them. The reservations from AAA does, as does our paperwork when we checked in, but not the cards.

The plan was paid for 3 adults not 4
True, but if the credits were saved then they should be able to use them as they see fit. They did not transfer the credits as the original owners are there. I'm not trying to debate this, but I would be upset if someone told me I could not use credits I saved.

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I don't think the manager handled this situation in the best manner. The explaination wasn't good and it came off rude.

I don't think that the OP was trying to "get over" on Disney, but they were doing what they believed was OK. I think we can all agree that the dining plan hasn't been explained very well. If Disney doesn't want these loopholes to be used, than they should create a way to stop it (rather than just leaving it up to managers).

I agree that if the manager really did speak to the OP like that, then it should be reported.....

That being said, I think that the DDP has been explained in very simple terms.....anyone can understand it. I just think that Disney gave too much credit to the guests & really didn't anticipate so many people trying to manipulate it as much as it seems that they do.

(To the OP, I wasn't referring to you there.... :) )

I'm pretty sure this won't be the first time we hear of something like this.....I also think that there will be a couple of rule changes before too long.

I am not sure you would call this a loophole if the brochure near the front reads cannot be sold separately, transferred, refunded, or redeemed for cash in whole or part. :confused3
At first I wondered too, it's pooled credits, what do they care?
I think allowing that could create issues and loopholes. And we all complain of not enough consistentcy within Disney. They try to maintain consistency and we still find fault. :rotfl2:
Solely using a What If situation, what would happen in a case like this and the guest later went to Guest Services and stated their credits were entered incorrect at the restaurant? If they proved there were only 2 adults on their DDP, but were charged for three adult meals.
The non transferrable may also be somewhat of a protection in case a card wa lost or stolen.
:confused3
Just a few thoughts.
It all seems simple, until you really think about it.

I am sorry that the OP had such a bad experience.

Although I have no current plans to eat with others during my upcoming stay, this conversation has sent me back to the brochure.

It does say that the plan is not transferable. However, the confusing part is that the CM who I booked the plan with talked about the flexibility including treating friends and about the times he had eaten with people who had extra credits.

Yes, I agree, just because something has been allowed does not mean that it is official policy. But, if they are going to enforce official policies then they need to make sure that all CMs are aware of them.

I don't think Disney did a great job at explaining the dining plan. They "say" that the credits are child and adult, but we know that's not really true. Instead, the credits are pooled. If Disney is so concerned about this issue, they should stop it.

Plus, it has been reported that different restaraunts and CMs differ from one another. Some places allow a smoothie as a drink, while other places say no. It just depends on what CM you get. How is that a good job of explaining the DP when even Disney employees can't make up their minds?

Disney does change things all the time and they have that right too, but the DP should have a standard protocol that is followed.

I think the DP is a great thing, DH and I will be using for the first time on our trip. However, as much as I have read about it there are still things that I don't quite understand. Does that mean I am dumb or have the intention of trying to beat the system? No. I just need to get clarification.

I don't think the OP was trying to beat the system at all. I do think though that the manager could have done better with the situation.

Yes, I agree, just because something has been allowed does not mean that it is official policy. But, if they are going to enforce official policies then they need to make sure that all CMs are aware of them.

They are trying, but with 55,000 employees it is not an easy task to get everyone on the same page. Then at every turn you have guests trying to undermine that. It is a hard job.

I think most of us understand the workings of the plan. You buy a plan to feed "your family", if that is 3 adults and one child, it is meant to be the 3 adults and one child on your room reservaton, not your friends and not grandma down in Kissimmee.

I think most also understand that if you get the plan for 5 days and you have 20 TS and 20 CS, that 15 of those are to buy meals for adults and 5 are to buy meals for a child from the children's menu.

I guess however for some Disney has to put everything in detail to cover all the possiblities of creative use.

The brochure will probably be as large as a book soon and the plan will become more and more restrictive.

And those that tried to use it correctly will be inconvenienced because of those that didn't. :sad2:

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I don't think Disney did a great job at explaining the dining plan. They "say" that the credits are child and adult, but we know that's not really true. Instead, the credits are pooled. If Disney is so concerned about this issue, they should stop it.

Like I said, I really don't think that WDW anticipated that people would actually try to use kids credits for adults. I think that they trusted the guests and believed that they would use them appropriately. I have no doubt that they will stop it.....

DisneyGirl4188 said:
Plus, it has been reported that different restaraunts and CMs differ from one another. Some places allow a smoothie as a drink, while other places say no. It just depends on what CM you get. How is that a good job of explaining the DP when even Disney employees can't make up their minds?.

It's totally true that it is dependent on the CM that you get.....There are so many CM's who want to do everything they can to make their guests happy. I don't think that it even crosses their mind that a guest may go home & post a dining review saying that they were able to get a smoothie with dinner. When they do that, everyone expects it.

If people here want a smoothie, then they can ask. But they certainly shouldn't expect it.........If a smoothie will make or break someone's vacation, then mabye they should either pay for it or not get the dining plan.

DisneyGirl4188 said:
Disney does change things all the time and they have that right too, but the DP should have a standard protocol that is followed.

I agree that there should be a set protocol, but until one is officially in place I would imagine that the restaurant managers would have the last say.

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I think the DP is a great thing, DH and I will be using for the first time on our trip. However, as much as I have read about it there are still things that I don't quite understand. Does that mean I am dumb or have the intention of trying to beat the system? No. I just need to get clarification.

I love the DDP too, but it really is pretty simple.

1 Table Service
1 Counter Service
1 Snack

People just need to stop overanalyzing it.......If people really have to plan everything that they'll order at every meal, then they should just plan on what is stated in the dining brochure.

DisneyGirl4188 said:
I don't think the OP was trying to beat the system at all. I do think though that the manager could have done better with the situation.

I don't think that the OP was trying to scam either......If the manager did speak to her rudely, then that was uncalled for. He should have explained it in a much nicer way.

But people need to remember that even the restaurant managers have supervisors & directive could very well could have come from a "higher up".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter