WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

What I'm more concerned about is that they decide to close the parks/resorts while I'm there and I don't have the virus. At that point, I'm locked into a very pricey resort with not a lot to do. If I knew what their plan was in that situation, I could evaluate it, but I'm about 24 hours from my cancellation deadline and I'm not sure how to handle it.
This is why we have decided to postpone our trip to DL. We had several things in California planned. DL was going to be at the end of our trip and I did not want to risk flying out there and then everything closing. I would be thinking about it the entire time and worrying about it. Not a fun vacation. We will reschedule for a better time. It sucks, but it’s the best decision for us.

I read the CA Governor's guidance in full and it really does seem to indicate that theme parks will need to close through the end of the month. I expect an announcement by Disney regarding Disneyland by the end of today.

The guidance only excludes transportation means (buses, trains, planes), school functions related directly to learning (assemblies and sports are to be suspended), malls and other large retail shops selling necessities like clothing and food/household goods, and airports.

The guidance specifically mentions that OUTDOOR gatherings need to stop as well as indoor. It says ALL non essential gatherings of more than 250 in one location. Smaller gatherings can only proceed with a guarantee of 6 feet of social distancing per person. It SPECIFICALLY mentions that long lines need to be eliminated. Disneyland cannot remain open under these guidelines. It says it doesn't matter who the sponsor of the gathering is, also. It applies to everyone across the board.

We rented DVC points, I know all the non-refundable stuff blah blah, but what if (worst-cast scenario) WDW shuts down? Curious how that would play out, as I'm assuming the DVC Members would be reimbursed for those dates? I don't know, just wishful thinking if things get super bad that I won't lose out on all that money. Our last trip to Disney in 2013 was a literal wash out/family drama, I was ready to go back with a fresh slate and take my little guy (almost 3) for the first time. Maybe Disney and I are meant to be :sad:
Not sure how the rental company will handle things, but from my own call with DVC Member Services today (and also based on a couple of other experiences posted on other forums on the DIS), DVC will try to restore the points to their original years as best as they can. However, there are still some points that I will have to use by August of this year or stand to lose them altogether. As of now, I don't know when I can reschedule my trip, let alone try to fit one in before they expire in August. So if the DVC member you rented from can't push their points out for another year, they could stand to lose those points. But, we'll see - given how things are changing rapidly, DVC could make some major exceptions (though it would be unprecedented).

We are supposed to be leaving saturday - but after last night I am increasingly uncomfortable. We will be rescheduling to memorial day weekend.

I read the CA Governor's guidance in full and it really does seem to indicate that theme parks will need to close through the end of the month. I expect an announcement by Disney regarding Disneyland by the end of today.

The guidance only excludes transportation means (buses, trains, planes), school functions related directly to learning (assemblies and sports are to be suspended), malls and other large retail shops selling necessities like clothing and food/household goods, and airports.

The guidance specifically mentions that OUTDOOR gatherings need to stop as well as indoor. It says ALL non essential gatherings of more than 250 in one location. Smaller gatherings can only proceed with a guarantee of 6 feet of social distancing per person. It SPECIFICALLY mentions that long lines need to be eliminated. Disneyland cannot remain open under these guidelines. It says it doesn't matter who the sponsor of the gathering is, also. It applies to everyone across the board.
the magic word in the statement is "recommends" DL can continue operating as it is not mandatory, this morning's HUB update indicates as of today, they are still all operating as usual

Unfortunately, I think we're here, too. And I'm so beyond bummed.

Our Spring Break plans:
  • Arrive Friday April 3rd, by plane
  • Leave Thursday April 9th, by plane
  • Staying DVC on points
  • Going to two DAH events in addition to 3 park days - two planned for DHS to see SWGE and TSL (kids haven't been since the week before TSL opened in 2018)
Came home late yesterday and DH was like, "we're cancelling WDW." Wait - what??? But with the travel restrictions, NBA postponing the season, along with all of the other cancellations throughout our society, he just feels strongly that we need to do what we can do to "flatten the curve." That's what this is all about. Not adding to the exponential spread, even though we do not fit in the high risk demographics. This morning, at 5 am, our county (Loudoun County, Virginia) announced that they are closing schools through next Friday as they figure out plans on how to potentially move to remote learning. This is just insane.

So I will call Member Services when they open (and go to the MS DVC board) to see what our options are. *sigh..... I'm so bummed. Nothing is actually cancelled for us yet, but I need to get my ducks in order. So bummed. 😩
Could you direct me to the DVC board that you mentioned, please?

A similar ban also technically exists in France and is set for 1000 people in one location and Disneyland Paris has remained open in the 2 weeks post that ban being put in place. Might be more of an indicator of how Disney is making those decisions when they have majority control over the parks vs the Asian parks.

the magic word in the statement is "recommends" DL can continue operating as it is not mandatory, this morning's HUB update indicates as of today, they are still all operating as usual

Except that the City of Anaheim just said that they will be following the recommendations as it pertains to the city's "sports, entertainment and convention and other venues."

Even after the news of last night my husband's opinion is he can't make a sound decision for something that is still 60+ days away. Driving isn't really feasible, as I have an obligation the day before our flights.

Worst case scenario we'll reschedule for the end of the year...but that won't fly with my 3 year old. 🙄

Waits on the phone are long today. I'm just trying to put in some room requests and been on hold for nearly an hour. I have work to do at my desk so it's not a big deal to let it sit, but just an FYI. Whether it has to do with cancellations or not, who knows, but my first 2 tries got me all circuits are busy- that's never happened to me.

We were supposed to leave Saturday and cancelled. We are APs, driving, and off site so not out much $$. It’s just not worth it to me to be on edge the whole time (and I have anxiety anyway so this has completely sent it into overdrive). And I would feel terrible if I brought something home to my parents in their 70s (even though it is still possible locally). We have reservations already for July so we will try then! Actually it’s more of a relief just having finally decided and not in this constant stress about what to do...

Same. If anyone watches can you post a recap?

The only applicable thing he's said is that he strongly suggests the cancelling of mass gathering events- like sporting events or convention etc. Said he does not have the power to order it officially. But then didn't close DLP when they did the same thing so....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter