WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We are DVC checking in on Saturday for a week. We are flying. Still planning to go but i wish Disney would make some kind of announcement. Don't want to get down there and be stuck doing nothing.

Hi neighbor! I'll wave to you from afar, as we can not get near each other - lol. :wave: I think you guys are going to be right behind us. We have had only one "presumptive positive" case in the county, not necessarily related to the school system, and yet they still shut down. Fairfax announced it's Monday closure earlier this week, right? And we were going to have next Friday off (the 20th) - that was just announced I think yesterday. This decision happened very quickly so, clearly, things are escalating very quickly.
:wave:Yes, it sure is happening fast - and yes, we have just the one-day closure so far. I was very surprised to read about Loudoun's closure. My brother just called from NY and it's escalating very quickly there as well.

Best wishes to everyone who has an upcoming trip whether they go or cancel. Seems like Disney and many airlines are being great about people needing flexibility.
Our FP day is this weekend. I'll probably make them and then see how things unfold since our trip isn't until mid-May. Since it's just a short trip with older DD and myself, I booked it room only.

I will just say, from the time this virus was first being talked about there have been people all over adamant various things (the way it progresses, closures, quarantines, and the like) would not happen outside China, then in North America, then outside certain states, etc.

Never say never, IMO. This is all new and unpredictable. Good idea IMO to at least mentally prepare for whatever your worst case scenario is.

I will just say, from the time this virus was first being talked about there have been people all over adamant various things (the way it progresses, closures, quarantines, and the like) would not happen outside China, then in North America, then outside certain states, etc.

Never say never, IMO. This is all new and unpredictable. Good idea IMO to at least mentally prepare for whatever your worst case scenario is.

Definitely some of the cavalier attitudes we first saw in these threads 2-3 weeks ago are diminishing. I was a wait and hope for the best for our April trip. I still am but pretty much betting that we have to cancel. Who the heck wants to still go with this cloud hanging over? I only go every 2-3 years. I want it to be complete joy and happiness. That isn't what I feel right now.

this is more stressful than trying to get a boarding group

We've made the decision. We're going next week. I'm not going to stress over it and ruin the trip. As of right now, nothing has changed. We'll roll with the flow and adjust to whatever may come. If I couldn't handle that premise, I wouldn't go. This is supposed to be fun and if it isn't, why do it? We do have the freedom of driving our own car so even if worst case scenario happens and they close the parks, we can come home- or we can stay and enjoy our resort. We're going eyes wide open and accepting of whatever happens or doesn't happen.

I know it is unlikely but a few days heads up notice if Disney and Universal will close would be appreciated. We opted to drive which takes 2 days. By the end of the day today I can no longer cancel my hotel on the way down. We arrive on Sunday. I am pretty sure I am just as likely to catch this virus in my community as in the Orlando Community so I am still planning on going unless they close

We've made the decision. We're going next week. I'm not going to stress over it and ruin the trip. As of right now, nothing has changed. We'll roll with the flow and adjust to whatever may come. If I couldn't handle that premise, I wouldn't go. This is supposed to be fun and if it isn't, why do it? We do have the freedom of driving our own car so even if worst case scenario happens and they close the parks, we can come home- or we can stay and enjoy our resort. We're going eyes wide open and accepting of whatever happens or doesn't happen.

I have friends coming down, and we're still going, I just meant the uncertainty if they're gonna stay open or not. I feel like as each hour passes, there's a chance the news will come out they're closing

WE were supposed to go on March 23 , but we postponed until mid June. Jetblue was great after an hour wait on hold and half hour changing everything😀

What I'm more concerned about is that they decide to close the parks/resorts while I'm there and I don't have the virus. At that point, I'm locked into a very pricey resort with not a lot to do. If I knew what their plan was in that situation, I could evaluate it, but I'm about 24 hours from my cancellation deadline and I'm not sure how to handle it.

this is what has my husband worried

I know some of you who are going in the next week are expressing concern over them closing without notice, but I honestly still don't see them closing in the next week or so. Just not enough raw exposure for them to make that level of a decision in my opinion. I'm going in late April and I don't think the parks will even close by then to be honest.

I'm still in the excited and looking forward to my trip status, and have been constantly checking dining, FPs, and other experiences with the same level of excitement as I did prior to the discovery of the virus.

I know some of you who are going in the next week are expressing concern over them closing without notice, but I honestly still don't see them closing in the next week or so. Just not enough raw exposure for them to make that level of a decision in my opinion. I'm going in late April and I don't think the parks will even close by then to be honest.

I'm still in the excited and looking forward to my trip status, and have been constantly checking dining, FPs, and other experiences with the same level of excitement as I did prior to the discovery of the virus.
Ok, I love your posts. I am now going to take the exact same attitude, as our trip is in several weeks. I’ve been so excited for months, have been planning, booking, enjoying it all! I am going to not stress but continue to be excited. We’ve saved up, planned and have been looking forward to the vacation. No point in me stressing now about it. What happens will happen whether I worry or not.
Thank you for the reality check today! Or the perspective or whatever the right wording is! Enjoy your vacation!!

Yes, but then you still have to touch the baggies to get your stuff out.
Or you could disinfect the surface of the baggies. Better that than disinfecting every item in your bag.
That's the logic behind it. Less individual things for the bag checker to touch and easier to disinfect after bag check.
My rationale thus far has been that we can get it just as easily at home, but is taking on extra unnecessary risk really worth it?
For us, with cases near us, we have a greater chance of getting it here than WDW currently. But I do expect that to change. Our thoughts have gone from assessing the risk in traveling to a place with no known cases to: will our area be quarantined at some point? and what happens if one of us gets sick in Florida and needs medical attention? That's an automatic quarantine, they're not going to let you leave to go home. And everyone with you will have to quarantine also, as they are most likely carriers. Not trying to freak anyone out here, but that's exactly what is happening not far from me and what has become standard protocol. I'm wondering if that happens where we would stay? We can't stay in a $300 per night resort for three weeks!
Is anyone worried about DW going into lockdown mode and quarantining? Of course no one wants to go on vacation and then be on lock-down and stuck in your room with no where tog o, but wondering what the likelihood is of that even happening would be?
I'm more concerned with what I posted above. Getting stuck down there under quarantine. If they went into creating a "containment area" like in NY, I believe they would give some advance warning, like they did there with a little time before they actually implemented it. That's the "get out of Dodge" time period.
You are at WDW and start showing symptoms, you go to the hospital or emergency care where they will test you. Until testing you won't be allowed to leave the hospital/emergency room, they're not going to discharge you and send you back to your hotel
At least that's how I understand it
That's exactly what happened to one of the cases here. He was from out of state (NY I believe), got sick here and has been quarantined here. He was not allowed to return to his home. I don't believe he's severe enough to be hospitalized, but I don't know where he is quarantined. (this is the case farthest from us) Who pays for a lengthy hotel stay in a situation like that?

Not everyone who is confirmed is hospitalized. They are sent home to quarantine, along with everyone in their family. In the case of getting sick in another state, like Florida, and they can't send you back to the resort, I wonder if they would keep you in the hospital there. But that would take beds from others who might actually need it.

Not trying to veer off topic. Just trying to compare/relate what is happening here with quarantine and how it *could* translate to a quarantine in Orlando. This being so close has opened my eyes to the fact that it's not just about how to stay safe in the parks, but also what could happen with other elements of your trip.

I feel like those of you with trips starting this week or next have a shot. I'm getting less and less optimistic about our trip in mid-May.

I would absolutely re-schedule my trip if I could. But I rented points thru Davids.

I chatted with them and they said they have had asked Disney about the refund policy for DVC owners but nothing has changed on that end.

I don't understand how Disney made a policy to waive all cancellation fees for standard visits but are completely leaving anybody using DVC out to dry.

I would absolutely re-schedule my trip if I could. But I rented points thru Davids.

I chatted with them and they said they have had asked Disney about the refund policy for DVC owners but nothing has changed on that end.

I don't understand how Disney made a policy to waive all cancellation fees for standard visits but are completely leaving anybody using DVC out to dry.

We have one night at BLT through David's. Fortunate in that regard but that is the only money that I consider a loss if I cancel today. But if I could bank that and use it later, that would be good too.

Our scenario too. It stinks. Insurance doesn’t kick in for us until theres a high enough travel advisory.

Our trip is 5/9-5/17, right now the plan is to go and fly even. Up until last night I've been optimistic about the trip.

I have to say though that after reading an editorial written by and Italian Dr. , I'm seriously torn about it. On one hand I think that I can catch it no matter where I'm at, on the other hand I don't want the choice I make to travel and have fun be the reason someone else gets sick or worse.

We are fairly healthy, but we are older-DH is over 60, he has no underlying medical issues. He does physical labor for his job, exercises and is very healthy. Still is that a chance we take? I don't know.

We rented too through David’s. Call them. I told them I cancelled our trip. They are working with me regarding my reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter