WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

This is inaccurate and I believe they posted this before the final email that said they needed to leave by 11am on Wednesday. The email itself is posted a couple of pages back
Unless they’ve changed their minds it is accurate. A Norwegian CM said the same in a FB group for Norwegian CMs but it’s harder to link to that as it’s a Norwegian group that is also private.
It is a bit of both(?) The email says Cultural Exchange Program - which is the school break program - not the Cultural Representative Program which is the one that supplies CMs to Epcot and AK. So, unless they just lumped both programs under the "exchange" label the Epcot/AK CMs might get to stay if they choose. I think it might be because the exchange is a shorter program so the CMs already have flights back booked, while reps are there for a year. When I did the DLP program (exchange from WDW) I had to have a return flight booked before I got there. My program was 6 months but I don't think you can book a year out though.

I’m disappointed in the policy regarding annual passes. I had planned a trip very deliberately a year in advance to coincide with spring break and my pass expiration date. Simply extending the pass for a few weeks during a time I cannot go does not make up for it. It feels like regular ticket holders are getting a much better deal than AP holders.

I have two Discover Disney 4 day PHs for my grandsons for our visit in May. (Which may still happen- who knows). I have a silver AP, so am blocked out all summer until mid August.

They announced that the Discover Disney tickets will be extended to July 2020, but I”m blocked out. So I’m not sure what will happen to those tickets. They will also extend my AP- which would have expired in early December. So also with me- extending it, even a month, won’t help me a bit. I was going this next week for a few days.

I think they will try to make it right somehow, but right now probably is overwhelming for so many people.

I had an exciting unexpected upgrade to Beach club one night. That’s gone, too. I have no idea when we will return, how I can afford it if I have to buy new tickets for at least one of us (me, or the kids), etc. I have no idea what Delta will do about my flight.

Most CM don't have to report to work at WDW but some do. Custodial in the parks is on a limited schedule (not all but some have to go) also attractions have to come on this limited schedule to run the attractions through
Usually Sunday is their schedule drop day, for the week of March 22nd through 28th the schedule will actually come out on Tuesday

I’m disappointed in the policy regarding annual passes. I had planned a trip very deliberately a year in advance to coincide with spring break and my pass expiration date. Simply extending the pass for a few weeks during a time I cannot go does not make up for it. It feels like regular ticket holders are getting a much better deal than AP holders.

I understand the frustration. I had let my AP lapse last October and was going to activate my voucher on our trip next week so it doesn't affect me at all. However, all the rest of the family have AP's that expire in late July. They are missing the trip we would've made, would have left today actually, and since we're going in June/July anyway, the extra days tacked on at the end are of no use to them if it's just a 2-3 week extension. But, before having fits over it, we're going to just sit back and wait. We don't know how long they'll be closed and the phone lines are insane. This is an issue that can wait for months to iron out. When the dust settles, we'll probably call and see if there isn't some other option they can give us- passes for the next trip we'll schedule or something. It's just too soon to seriously worry about something so far in the future with such uncertainty right now.

There is no way they will have the virus contained in two weeks. No way! This closure is going to go on for months. And Disney knows it.

Hong Kong and Shanghai parks have been closed 7 weeks now. Tokyo has been closed 2 weeks and just been extended.

I hope you're wrong. It makes sense for the parks to do closures in 2 week increments, though. Unfortunately it strings us all along, but nothing to be done about that. I have a trip starting April 19, and right now I think there's a 50/50 chance of it happening.

There is no way they will have the virus contained in two weeks. No way! This closure is going to go on for months. And Disney knows it.

Hong Kong and Shanghai parks have been closed 7 weeks now. Tokyo has been closed 2 weeks and just been extended.

I'm sure they will continue to update.

The HUB (internal CM site) just updated their FAQ for CP
FAQs - For Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Programs, Disney Cultural Exchange Program, Disney Academic Exchange and International Guest Relations
Why is my program ending early and why can’t I stay in housing?

The safety and well-being of our Cast is of paramount importance. We’ve taken into consideration the most up-to-date guidance from local and national agencies and medical advisors, and believe this to be the best option.
I am receiving school credit for my program. How will this impact that?
Your program will be considered successfully completed. Please contact your school with any questions regarding credit.
Am I allowed to stay in Disney Programs housing until my original program end date?
No. We are closing many of the Disney Program housing complex buildings and are requiring these participants, including International Cast Members in Guest Relations, to collect their belongings and leave by March 18 at 11 a.m. If you have a specific situation, please see the Disney Service Center.
Will I be paid?
You will be paid through the end of the month. This will be available on your Payment Card by the end of the week. In addition, weekly housing deductions will be waived effective immediately.
I reside in my own housing. Will my program be impacted?
Yes – all Disney College Programs, Disney Culinary Programs, Disney Cultural Exchange Program and Disney Academic Exchange Program will be ending on March 16. This also applies to International Cast Members in Guest Relations.
Will I be able to participate in a future College Program?
Yes. We will communicate any future opportunities to you as they become available.
Do I need to report to work between now and March 16?
As always, if you are feeling sick, stay home. Otherwise, you should report to work as scheduled.
Why are Disney Cultural Representatives able to continue their program and stay in Disney Programs housing?
Each of our programs is unique. At this time, our full-time Cast, including Walt Disney World Cultural Representatives will continue their programs.
Will I be able to participate in a future College Program?
Yes. We will communicate any future opportunities to you as they become available.
Can I transfer to part time or full time?
Interested participants are welcome to apply for opportunities with Disney in the future.
Will the Disney College Program come back next semester?
Yes. New arrivals for the Disney College Program are planned to resume in May 2020.
I am scheduled to start a Fall or Fall Advantage program in a few months. What are my options?
New arrivals for the Disney College Program are planned to resume in May 2020.
WDW CULTURAL REPRESENTATIVES
Will any Programs events or classes still occur?

Until further notice, all programs events and classes have been suspended.
How long will Walt Disney World Resort theme parks be closed? / When will the theme parks reopen?
We are in regular contact with health agencies for information and guidance and will remain closed through the end of the month. We will continue to follow their recommendations. We will announce a reopening date as soon as it is advisable
Will I have to move?
Our teams are evaluating current placement, and will be sharing more information regarding possible moves soon.
I am a Cultural Representative. Is my program ending early?
Your program may continue as scheduled. However, if you choose to depart your program early, you will be given a successful program completion.
Will I be getting paid through the end of the month?
We have two groups of Cultural Representatives; some are Disney Cast and others are third-party. While we will continue to pay our Walt Disney World Cultural Representatives through the end of the month, decisions on pay are up to the individual employer.
Will I still have to pay my housing fees if I am out of work due to theme park closures?
Housing fee deductions will continue as usual.

From the FAQ above, basically Epcot's World Showcase CP Cultural Representatives can stay, they will get paid these 2 weeks and they still have to pay for housing
All other CP have to leave by Wednesday and the May semester should resume as normal

We would've had the car packed and be leaving in just a few hours for our stay that would've started Monday. Today is a hard day here, I can only imagine how difficult it is for the participants in the CP program and those people who will be financially impacted by the shutdown. It just sucks all the way around.

I agree, but there's no way of doing something fairly. April is the middle trip of our year, making AP's financially worth it for 2020, but how would they know that? We're staying offsite, so aside from my ADRs, tickets for an AH event, and my FP+ made within 30 days, they have no proof that we have a trip planned. Those plans that they can see would be easy enough to "fake" if one was looking to benefit from the situation. I feel like extending is about the best they can do for APs.

No one knows exactly how long WDW will close, but I highly doubt that it will be for several months.

A virus that is circulating and rapidly multiplying through the public cannot be contained. Officials are trying to slow the spread by closing everything, but the genie is already out of the bottle, and the virus is going to be with us for the foreseeable future. They're trying to mitigate the worst effects, but there is no controlling this force of nature.

I don't think WDW and everything else in society is going to stay paralyzed for the next several months the way it is currently. Society is in panic-mode right now, but after a month or so, things will likely go back towards normal for two main reasons:
  1. If not, it will cause a full-on depression (not just a recession)
  2. People will begin realizing that the virus is already widespread (including among people they know), yet most people aren't dying or even getting seriously ill. At that point, the panic response will abate, and people will get fed up with the onerous restrictions on their lives.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. As much money as Disney makes and they claim its because they will lose? Sure they are going to take a hit, but it certainly won't break the bank
When all is said and done disney will have lost billions most likely. Just like after 9/11 cuts will be made. This is only the beginning. I expect projects not already underway to be delayed or scrapped. More entertainment likely to be cut as well. This is not going to be a fun time for anyone.

We would've had the car packed and be leaving in just a few hours for our stay that would've started Monday.
We were scheduled to arrive and check-in today for this coming week. ☹
We have reservations in October (made before the closures were announced), so hopefully things are back to normal by then.

Reactions: Nox
When all is said and done disney will have lost billions most likely. Just like after 9/11 cuts will be made. This is only the beginning. I expect projects not already underway to be delayed or scrapped. More entertainment likely to be cut as well. This is not going to be a fun time for anyone.
100% agreed. The Epcot reimagining will take a big hit. Tron will finish cause it's well underway. But anything that was in the future that we might not even know about but was in the plans is probably being scrapped as we speak

I'm curious and after reading 55 pages didn't see the answer (apologies if I skimmed past it). For people who arrived in WDW before the announcement, what was your experience? I know tickets were changed so they won't expire, but did you have the option of getting a hotel credit if you chose to leave? I am just genuinely curious for future events, I know how they handle things for one day closures, but this is all new.

This. I didn't want to be the first to make a post like this after reading posts about folks saying "when things get back to normal". Whatever you thought of as "normal" in the past may be gone. There will certainly be a new "normal" established for WDW going forward. At this point we don't know what that is yet.

I hope you're wrong. It makes sense for the parks to do closures in 2 week increments, though. Unfortunately it strings us all along, but nothing to be done about that. I have a trip starting April 19, and right now I think there's a 50/50 chance of it happening.
That's when when my trip starts too. I am thinking more like 70/30 towards WDW being closed than 50/50. Right now I'm thinking about what dates I should change the plans to. I'm a teacher so the summer works, or Labor Day. I'm worried though that with all the cancelations and re-bookings, the latter half of 2020 will be packed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter