"We don't want to be tied down to a schedule....."

I hear this from folks going sometimes, and the responders are right, it's not my problem - but it's pretty annoying when they come back and complain about what a terrible time they had.

Or mock you for loving such an aweful place...my best friend's mom and sister went to WDW for three days, no planning, and were very pleased to tell me they spent most of the time saying to each other "THIS is what they love so much?!". So while I definitely don't care how others do it, I do care when they do it sans planning, fly half way across the world, don't go to all the parks, barely make it on rides or see any of the entertainment, and then make fun of my vacation preferences, the way I spend my hard earned money and my love of WDW.

For anyone going with the flow, more power to you, I am so Type A and make sure we have reservations or fastpasses for everything that matters to us. I also schedule downtime. A lot of people think "planning" equals "detailed itinerary with your vacation planned down to the half hour". A lot of Disney newbies just dont listen and dont realize and all we can do is give an exasperated sigh (and maybe think "you are doing it ALL wrong. just let me plan it for you").
Anyway, for those of you saying OP shouldn't worry about them or give unsolicited advice, it sounds like they made a comment to be helpful, and are airing their grievances here, NOT to their friends, because they knew we'd get it. And it is SO frustrating when people don't know how to do disney and then hate it because they wouldn't listen. My grandparents wont go anymore because they saw fastpass people getting to ride and said "THEY ARE CUTTING IN LINE! I HATE THIS PLACE!". Or people that get so upset because they didnt get to eat at X place because they didnt get a reservation in time. Or people that say "I hate disney its hot and crowded and the lines are insane" when they could simply have booked a fastpass. Then those of us who love Disney get judged for going so often by people who have no idea what they are talking about.....

I am always shocked by this but if you aren't picky there are always TS.

For dinner tonight for 4:

50's PT - 7:30
1900 Park Fare - 7:45
Artist Point - 7:30
Biergarten - 7:40
Boma - 8:15
Cape May - 7:05
Chef Mickeys 7:55
Coral Reef - 8:15
Still Fantasmic dining left at H&V
Garden Grill - 7:15
HBD - 6:45
Hoop Dee do - 8:30
Jiko - 7:50
Skipper Canteen 7:25
Liberty Tree Tavern 8:25
Mama Melrose 8:10
Narcoosses 7:20
Raglan Road 7:45
ROL dining package tiffins 5:50
Tusker house

And a whole lot more.

Very late times for dinner, aren't they? They don't work very well for people with kids, IMO. If you are travelling without kids, sure, but a lot of those places listed aren't even in the parks.

Very late times for dinner, aren't they? They don't work very well for people with kids, IMO. If you are travelling without kids, sure, but a lot of those places listed aren't even in the parks.

The conversation wasn't on what was optimal. It was on what is doable. A family who doesn't like to plan will most likely not consider a 7:30 dinner late. If you get off work at 5:30, get home at 6:30 and aren't planners I would be shocked if you eat before 7:30.

I posted the list which was not all inclusive to show that even though at 90 days there seems to not be a restaurant open in all of WDW that becomes very different the week and day of. Things open up.

11 of the 20 restaurants listed are in parks.

I like facts. I myself will have everything reserved 180 days out. That is my preference but the data shows that if you want a table service meal and want to reserve it day of you will find somewhere to go to.

Available tonight! Character Meals - Crystal Palace 6:45, Hollywood & Vine 5:35, Garden Grill 6:35, Mickeys BBQ 5:30

If people refuse to listen to the voice of experience, that's their problem. You tried. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Not picking on you particularly, but I don't understand this mindset...of which I admit I have to remind myself sometimes... Why do they have to listen to the voice of experience or else it's their problem or they learn the hard way? Our way (mine, yours, anyones) isn't "the" right way, it's just ours. If we give someone advice who doesn't take it and comes back having a miserable time, it doesn't mean that if they had followed our advice, it would have been a different outcome. Perhaps WDW just wasn't for them no matter what. It's also possible they don't take our advice and have a wonderful time because our advice wouldn't have worked for them. If you looked at my character traits, I'd very much align with "type A" personality, though I don't care for those things. However, at WDW, I become polar opposite to that. I would call my style "relaxed efficiency". I'm not a fan of just wandering aimlessly (for the most part), but I also have zero desire to be locked into a plan or have a set schedule. We go where we want, when we want and it work for us. I really mean it as no offense whatsoever, but if I came here as a total newbie to WDW and was given all kinds of advice about having to do tons of planning, scheduling, etc...it would be a complete turn off for me. I wouldn't want to go, and if I tried to follow the advice, I wouldn't have a good time at all. And I'm sure there are people who if they followed my advice of winging it a lot, they would say that would be a turn off for them and they'd hate it.

Short version of my point is that we can't say that if they don't take our advice and don't have fun that it's their fault and it would have been different if they had listened. That's a big assumption to make.

Short version of my point is that we can't say that if they don't take our advice and don't have fun that it's their fault and it would have been different if they had listened. That's a big assumption to make.

It depends on what they come home complaining about. If they come home complaining that Mickey Mouse is creepy, well, yes, there isn't much that can be done about that. But if they come home complaining that all star sports is packed with kids, that all the restaurants are reserved when they went to eat, and that all the rides are packed from here to Timbuktu, then no, it's not a big assumption that following my advice would have made a world of difference.

It depends on what they come home complaining about. If they come home complaining that Mickey Mouse is creepy, well, yes, there isn't much that can be done about that. But if they come home complaining that all star sports is packed with kids, that all the restaurants are reserved when they went to eat, and that all the rides are packed from here to Timbuktu, then no, it's not a big assumption that following my advice would have made a world of difference.
I agree. Some things are subjective (go with the flow on dinner plans, don't plan out your day too much) but shorter wait times are not. Everyone loves short wait times, no one would rather wait in line than ride a ride (except Peter Pan -- as an adult, that interactive queue is so much cooler than the ride to me). It's of course frustrating that people won't just listen and book them on their once in a lifetime trip. You'll never say "ugh having those fastpasses ruined our trip" but the opposite could be true, they could say "not having fastpasses and spending our whole vacation in line was a waste, why do people even like Disney?" You don't have to use them but oh my gosh just book them, give yourself a fair chance. If it's a newbie trip, yeah they might find "go with the flow" is their style. But you know what? They may also find "spend time having a couple of drinks while we wait for our soarin fastpass window" to be their style, an option not afforded to you when you don't book FPs.

Yeah, you're right about that...it's why I mentioned that if they did come home and complained (especially if it's something they asked my advice about) I simply politely wouldn't listen to much of it.

I think it still comes down to vacation styles and preferences. Like I said, if I had never been to WDW before and people told me about all the intense planning they do, I would do one of two things...either cancel my trip, or go but try to do it in a style that's more suitable to how I like to vacation...i.e. not plan everything. If I went and didn't enjoy it, then I suppose I wouldn't have a right to complain that I wasn't warned about making reservations. But I would be able to say that if that's what's required, then it's just not for me. Thankfully, at least in my opinion, you don't HAVE to have a detailed plan to enjoy WDW.

Unless asked, why would you care about someone else's visit? My dad, and actually, lots of people I know are in the "unsolicited advice" crew. Mom and I constantly tell him to STOP. Did your friends ask for any input? If so, and they say they want to go with the flow, just recommend rope drop, and honestly, with that and same day fp they can very well have a wonderful trip, even with long mid-day breaks. I do and I'm often out of the parks from 12-1 until 6-7. I go when hours are long, like they will be doing, and open and close the parks down. Same day ADRs are definitely available. Other than V&A, I can pretty much get any place I want, but I prefer to eat dinner after night time entertainment, and lunch by the pool. I mean, who doesn't love poolside service? Some people can't plan things 6 months in advance and have great trips. They might want to go to shows all day - if so, they'll be super happy! So many variables and so many differences on what makes a vacation successful.

I guess it comes down to I just want them to love and enjoy it as much as I do. I know there are things I can recommend that will make a much more enjoyable trip but if they don't want to take the advice, that's their prerogative. I guess it would just make me sad if they didn't get out of the trip what I know they could.

My friends are the "grandparents" and are primarily paying for the trip for the son, DIL, and 4 kids. After the initial 2-3 pieces of information when I first heard about their trip, I made it clear I was available for any questions and pretty much stayed silent on their trip. I've asked once, now that they're within 60 days and staying on site, if they've made their FP reservations and they haven't. I suggested that they really need to make those and grandma is like "I KNOW but can't get the son & family to commit to where to go on which day". I just pointed out what the wait times could be without FP and they are unlikely to get day of FP for the headliners to help encourage them to make those reservations. That's about all I can do. And I'm fine with that.

Not picking on you particularly, but I don't understand this mindset...of which I admit I have to remind myself sometimes... Why do they have to listen to the voice of experience or else it's their problem or they learn the hard way? Our way (mine, yours, anyones) isn't "the" right way, it's just ours. If we give someone advice who doesn't take it and comes back having a miserable time, it doesn't mean that if they had followed our advice, it would have been a different outcome. Perhaps WDW just wasn't for them no matter what. It's also possible they don't take our advice and have a wonderful time because our advice wouldn't have worked for them. If you looked at my character traits, I'd very much align with "type A" personality, though I don't care for those things. However, at WDW, I become polar opposite to that. I would call my style "relaxed efficiency". I'm not a fan of just wandering aimlessly (for the most part), but I also have zero desire to be locked into a plan or have a set schedule. We go where we want, when we want and it work for us. I really mean it as no offense whatsoever, but if I came here as a total newbie to WDW and was given all kinds of advice about having to do tons of planning, scheduling, etc...it would be a complete turn off for me. I wouldn't want to go, and if I tried to follow the advice, I wouldn't have a good time at all. And I'm sure there are people who if they followed my advice of winging it a lot, they would say that would be a turn off for them and they'd hate it.

Not really a big assumption. Why? Because the parks are crowded. Very few people will have a good time when they spend hours in line for most attractions.

Not really a big assumption. Why? Because the parks are crowded. Very few people will have a good time when they spend hours in line for most attractions.

I agree. I get where Klay is coming from but there are MANY trips where planning ahead is required (or at least highly recommended), it's not just Disney. And many of those trips are places I've never been before so I'm a newbie.

I've never understood why people think having a plan excludes you from being able to go with the flow. They are not mutually exclusive. I have a very detailed plan and do that mostly because I find it fun, but I very rarely end up following it exactly. However, having done that planning makes changing things on the fly much easier than trying to wing it with no prep at all.

The UG analogizes this by comparing it to learning how to dance. You learn the steps and the moves so that when the music starts, you can let it go, if you wish.

We also plan meticulously, but will change on the fly if we want to. It is nice to have a baseline plan that we stick to if we are t in agreement about making changes.

I've been on both sides of this argument.

One trip we met up with good friends in Magic Kingdom. They were shocked to see the way we toured the park. We aren't a "rope-drop-to-close with counter service in between" family.

We do participate in rope drop but we also have a table service lunch in the park around noon or head back to the resort for lunch and a swim or nap until 5 or 6. Then we head to a different park.

Sometimes we only ride a handful of rides per park and the rest of the time we're taking pictures, watching shows or shopping.

My friends couldn't understand it but that's okay because it wasn't their money or time being spent.

But I've also been with people who want to wake up at noon and stand in 60 minute lines. I've learned that it's best to just meet up with those people for dinner and nighttime shows because by the time they're entering the parks, we're exiting.

You can't please or get through to everyone. And some people simply don't want to like theme parks, especially the queen bee Disney. So they will find anything that went wrong during their stay and magnify it. They think Disney is childish and expensive and they go to the park just to prove it to themselves (and it's not very hard to prove Disney is expensive).

With the right mind set it is very possible to not be tied down. For starters you don't stay onsite. If you do, then you must plan most of your big meals ahead of time. (unless you have transportation to go offsite for meals) Know way in advance what you are going to be in the mood to eat on any specific date because if you don't plan it, it will not happen and you will have your meals at the, so called, grease pits. That is a way to be less shackled as well, don't worry about the type of food and just use counter service. I have done both, partial planning and no planning, but, I always stay offsite and have an abundance of choices for dining that do not require reservations. If you don't mind not getting a quick entrance to some of your favorite attractions, then FP's aren't necessary. What I have done is the evening before, I decide what park I want to be in the next day. Use my phone to see what FP's are available, for what time and make my choices, including sit downs meals if there is something that fits. I usually make my trips in mid-February so that is easier because the crowds are lighter. However, if you decide to go during the high season, holidays or special events and don't plan, I guarantee you that you will have a lousy frustrating time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter