what do you think of the boat and bike plan?

minstrel10

Earning My Ears
I will be going to VWL the first week of December and would like to do the boat and bike plan. I called today and they told me the cost is $265. Has anyone done this and would you do it again.

It's unlimited use of boats and bikes for your whole stay. Can't remember if it's good for 4 or 5 family members (only 2 for us). If you take it out at WL then that's where you go each time even though other resorts offer it you have to go to the one you signed up at.. It's well worth it and a lot of fun.

Are you sure that plan is still around? I thought it was discontinued. :confused3

If I were staying at VWL I would do it again. We did it while staying at the BCV but signed up at VWL because Bay Lake is so much bigger. It was DH, DS, DSF, and me. We only used the water mice but really got our money's worth using 4 boats 3 times during our trip. The small boats go faster now I understand which should be even more fun. If I did it again I would also plan to pack a lunch or snack and take out one of the pontoon boats or Boston Whalers for a more leisurely cruise around the lake and by the GF, poly etc. You cannot dock anywhere except where you rent the boats so can't use them to go from VWL to Poly for lunch and back, etc. If it is busy you have to bring them back in a given time frame- if not they will let you keep them out longer - we found an hour at a time was more than enough. We never did use the bike part but it was for the regular bikes not the surrey ones and I think there are trails to FW from VWL. The only way to know if it is a good deal for your family is to look at the per hour costs and then figure out how much it would cost if you do any of the things separately. There are age restricitons on the use of the boats also. You may need to factor in the weather for the time you are there also. At the time we did it the cost was $210 including taxes which was with some sort of discount-don't remember which one now - DVC, AP etc. Hope you have a great trip and if you do it take one swing around for the 62 yo WDW/DVC fanatic who proclaimed it to be her new favorite ride when doing it several years ago - that would be me.

We've done the plan at both the Polynesian and GF. At those resorts it was for 5 people but you had to be staying there to sign up. Don't know if that is still true but I would call ahead to check. It was great.

The plan seems to come and go. Perhaps it is discontinued over the summer when the boats might be busiest? :confused3

Anyway, it has been offered at FW,WL, CR, Polynesian, and GF. Not sure about the other resorts with marinas.

Another more limited plan was offered as well but the unlimited plan seemed the best fit for us.

Glad to hear it is back at WL, minstrel. We did enjoy it although it used to less expensive. But if you will be around the resort enough to use it, it is great. It also included the pontoon boats which are fun for taking the whole family out for a trip around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. :boat:

I posted this information after our June trip all prices were updated then. This will give you an idea of just what a bargain the Family Plans are. While the plans have been available for quite awhile, during the time they were replacing the Sea Rayers the plans was discontinued. (Due to low availability of the newer boats)

Motorized Boats:
Sea Raycer $24.00 per 1/2 hour, $38.00 per hour
2 passenger (320 lb. max)
*Driver must be 12 years of age and be 5 ft. tall: also must be accompanied by an adult with a valid driver's license.
**Single drivers of the boats must be over 16 years old and have a valid Drivers Licensed No age restrictions for passengers.

Montauk: $33.00 per 1/2 hour
6 passengers
*Diver must be 18 years of age

Pontoon Boat: $42.00 per 1/2 hour
10 passengers

Bicycles
Mongoose bikes of various sizes
$4.02 1/2 hour or $8.00 a hour, $22.10 a day.
Surrey Bikes
$18.00 1/2 hour-2 Seater
$22.00 1/2 hour-4 Seater
*Helmets must be worn by those 16 years old or younger

Attention: the family plans are back:
**Recreation Family Plans:
Plan includes the Water Mouse, Pontoon Boats, Canopy Boats, Sailboats and Bicycles, (Cruises and Surry Biles NOT included)
Captain Plan: 4 hours of rental per Group $138.45
Family Plan: Length of Stay Plan (10 Day Rate for Unlimited use of Equipment Listed Above) $265.19 (Up to 5 Guests per Plan)

The plans were also not available another time we were there around two years ago this summer or fall besides this past year. I'm not sure why it comes and goes. :confused3

Does anyone know if we can rent a Pontoon boat at VWL and take it out for our own personal Wishes cruise?

poohj80 said:
Does anyone know if we can rent a Pontoon boat at VWL and take it out for our own personal Wishes cruise?

No, you won't be able to do that. All the boats have to be back well before sunset. It might always be by 5 or something like that or perhaps it varies a little by season but they do tell you when you need to be back and close to the time, CMs in the patrol boats come by and warn you that you need to be back in in a half hour or whatever.

Thanks, I didn't know what the hours were as we haven't rented watercraft in quite awhile.

It would be nice though wouldn't it? But can you imagine the liability?

MAGICinMYHEART said:
Pontoon Boat: $42.00 per 1/2 hour
10 passengers

Hmmm... Maybe we should get something a little sturdier...

Here is our family's sitution.

WL --Jan. 1-5 two rooms

POR Jan.5-12 two rooms

DH licensed
Myself licensed
19 y.o. son licensed
17 y.o. son permit
15 y.o son
13 y.o. son
8 y.o son
2 y.o. son

Would everyone in both rooms be on the plan or could we just choose 1 room of people (4-5 people) to be on the plan?

Are they just counting driver's when they say 5 people per family on the plan?

How would the fact that we are switching resorts be handled? Should we start the plan when we arrive at WL or wait until POR or would it cover both?

I know these are tough questions. I hope someone has answers!

Hi BCV23 :wave: :wave: --when are you going to be at the world? January, right? Where are you staying?

Hi Belle! :wave:

My understanding was that 4 or 5 drivers were allowed. So your little guys would not even be counted. But boy, your sitaution is complicated. I would think that only your eldest, you and your husband could actually be the "drivers." But perhaps they count the 17, 15 and 13 yos if they are going to drive with one of you. But I don't think it goes by rooms at all...just drivers.We were in two rooms when we did the plan at the GF (because an accessible room we had only slept four) but only did one "plan." Sorry, I know this has been no help! :teeth:

I can't believe your "baby" will be two already! :sunny: Sending you a PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter