What does “financially stable” mean to you?

Most people hate the new menu. It was a cost cutting measure. They got rid of all signage that refers to ‘antibiotic free’ or ‘vegetarian fed’ because they wanted cheaper sources of meat. That plus just about all things are par baked now. I get better baked goods from a local grocery store (for a lot less) because they don’t par bake.

Oh and for some reason they also got rid of mustard and mayo as an option when they make your sandwiches…but you can get mayo packets for you to put it on my yourself.

If Panera is struggling it’s because they shot themselves in the foot…multiple times.
Our Panera closed several years ago. I do recall they announced they were ending all the antibiotic free vegetarian fed claims. At least they were open about that.

For me... it means

1. No credit card debt
2. 3 month emergency savings
3. Maxing out my 401k contributions
4. being 1 month ahead on all bills
5. having enough money left over to enjoy 2-3 vacations a year

I feel like have financial peace of mind. I don't think the amount of a car payment or student loan payment matters as long as it is within your means to accomplish all of the above and still living comfortably.

Most people hate the new menu. It was a cost cutting measure. They got rid of all signage that refers to ‘antibiotic free’ or ‘vegetarian fed’ because they wanted cheaper sources of meat. That plus just about all things are par baked now. I get better baked goods from a local grocery store (for a lot less) because they don’t par bake.

Oh and for some reason they also got rid of mustard and mayo as an option when they make your sandwiches…but you can get mayo packets for you to put it on my yourself.

If Panera is struggling it’s because they shot themselves in the foot…multiple times.
I never ate there a lot until this year. I'm a big fan of the Italian grilled sandwich with the peppers. I was sorry to see the chicken salad go. I like that they offer ranch dressing now. I did not notice the signage for antibiotic free before they got rid of it. I know Chick-fila no longer serves antibiotic free. I would assume it's due to high price of chicken.
I limit myself to once or twice a week buying lunch. Most days it's just a couple of protein bars. Everything is too expensive.

I never ate there a lot until this year. I'm a big fan of the Italian grilled sandwich with the peppers. I was sorry to see the chicken salad go. I like that they offer ranch dressing now. I did not notice the signage for antibiotic free before they got rid of it. I know Chick-fila no longer serves antibiotic free. I would assume it's due to high price of chicken.
I limit myself to once or twice a week buying lunch. Most days it's just a couple of protein bars. Everything is too expensive.

we don't eat there frequently but i save by grabbing a few gift cards when they have them on sale-right now they are 15% off through 5/14 (online only).

Another question I see asked is, "are you wealthy"? Wealthy to me means that you don't HAVE to go to work tomorrow. I am wealthy!

Yes I work at a Panera in a middle/upper middle class area. People are definitely cutting back. More people are bringing their own drinks, ordering toast instead of bagels, and ordering half portions.
I can’t blame them. Panera’s price increases over the last couple of years have been ridiculous. Not as bad as Five Guys, however.

I can’t blame them. Panera’s price increases over the last couple of years have been ridiculous. Not as bad as Five Guys, however.

around here five guys pales in price increases as compared to fat burger. even pre higher inflation 2 people could eat an almost identical meal at five guys half the price of fat burger (and end up with more fries).

Actually they have tried to become more budget friendly. They have the duets for $7.99 and unlimited self serve drinks for $14.99 a month. Agree when you get a bowl of soup for $10 it definitely feels expensive

Restaurants have no choice to raise prices. The cost of labor, the cost of ingredients, the cost of energy- everything has increased. Restaurant owners aren’t making a fortune nowadays that’s for sure. The lucky ones make 3-5% profit a year.
With inflation higher during the past few years than it’s been in decades, restaurants need to raise prices just to stay in business.

Restaurants have no choice to raise prices. The cost of labor, the cost of ingredients, the cost of energy- everything has increased. Restaurant owners aren’t making a fortune nowadays that’s for sure. The lucky ones make 3-5% profit a year.
With inflation higher during the past few years than it’s been in decades, restaurants need to raise prices just to stay in business.
Agree that is why it is so frustrating when people come in and complain about costs. I get that things are expensive. I see it everywhere I go.

I just got back from a two-week transatlantic cruise (NYC-Barcelona), which stopped in the Portuguese islands (Azores, Madeira), three ports in Spain (Malaga/Granada, Cartagena, Valencia), and then we spent another week in Barcelona and Madrid. Entree prices at upscale (not top-tier) restaurants were $23; appetizers, $8; desserts, $7. Cocktails were $4-$8. Bottles of Grand Cru wines were $45; house bottles (great values) were $25. ALL of these prices included tax and tip. Super high-end places crept into the $100-$200 per person territory. Everything there was fresh, not frozen foodservice convenience foods. What are they doing there that we're not doing here in the US?

I just got back from a two-week transatlantic cruise (NYC-Barcelona), which stopped in the Portuguese islands (Azores, Madeira), three ports in Spain (Malaga/Granada, Cartagena, Valencia), and then we spent another week in Barcelona and Madrid. Entree prices at upscale (not top-tier) restaurants were $23; appetizers, $8; desserts, $7. Cocktails were $4-$8. Bottles of Grand Cru wines were $45; house bottles (great values) were $25. ALL of these prices included tax and tip. Super high-end places crept into the $100-$200 per person territory. Everything there was fresh, not frozen foodservice convenience foods. What are they doing there that we're not doing here in the US?
great to know! heading to lisbon and bacelona this summer!

To me, wealth is epitomized by generational wealth. This means possessing or being in line to inherit enough financial resources that the notion of severe hardship for your family becomes a distant concern. This type of wealth is pivotal; it offers a steadfast financial support system that you and your family can tap into at any time, ensuring long-term security and stability.

To me, wealth is epitomized by generational wealth. This means possessing or being in line to inherit enough financial resources that the notion of severe hardship for your family becomes a distant concern. This type of wealth is pivotal; it offers a steadfast financial support system that you and your family can tap into at any time, ensuring long-term security and stability.
Reading a lot about people leaving their family out of their wills, so not sure that is a sure thing.

Reading a lot about people leaving their family out of their wills, so not sure that is a sure thing.
True, not everyone sets up their will to pass on wealth, and even when they do, things can get messy. But the real value of generational wealth lies in building a financial foundation that spans generations. When it works, it does more than provide money—it offers stability and opportunities, giving the next generation a significant advantage in life. Generational wealth is the best kind of reliable stable wealth.

True, not everyone sets up their will to pass on wealth, and even when they do, things can get messy. But the real value of generational wealth lies in building a financial foundation that spans generations. When it works, it does more than provide money—it offers stability and opportunities, giving the next generation a significant advantage in life. Generational wealth is the best kind of reliable stable wealth.
Yeah, it has skipped a couple of generations in my family. My Grandparents died when my dad and Aunt were still minors. A guardian managed my Grandfather's estate and used the money to educate my dad and Aunt in private schools, and cover their expenses. My dad was happy to have a place to live, my Aunt as an adult filed suit against alleging the guardian squandered the money. The guardian settled for $35,000 in 1930. That settlement would be over $561,000 today, and my Aunt insisted that was a fraction of what the estate was actually worth. But that money vaporized.

Paying cheap for labor.

Portugal's minimum wage is 750 euros/month.
Spain is 1050 euros/month.

160 hours of work/month = 4.70/hr for Portugal and 6.56/hr for Spain.

Agree in this day and age people can no longer rely on inheritance. My grandparents had a good amount of money that they left to my parents. My father is not that much older than my husband. Not only could he outlive us but if he requires long term care he could lose everything. It is not a good idea to plan on an inheritance

Sadly where I live we are seeing many family businesses sold or more likely just shut down because the next generation doesn’t want to work that hard to sustain it. One of our favorite restaurants shut down a few years after the owner died. The children cut the menu drastically. They made all of their children servers and they had no work ethic at all.

Sadly where I live we are seeing many family businesses sold or more likely just shut down because the next generation doesn’t want to work that hard to sustain it. One of our favorite restaurants shut down a few years after the owner died. The children cut the menu drastically. They made all of their children servers and they had no work ethic at all.

Yeah, that’s quite the reality check on generational wealth... Just handing over a business doesn't guarantee it stays successful, especially when the next gen seems more interested in coasting than in growing the legacy.

The scenario you described, where the restaurant declined after it changed hands, is a classic. It seems to hint at that broader conversation about whether the younger generations are willing to put in the sweat equity that built these businesses in the first place.

It’s an interesting angle for sure but sometimes these stories can be used to ignore larger points about generational wealth as a concept. Are the lazy kids in your example the exception or the rule?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter