What drama have you witnessed at a wedding/funeral?

no one could say anything nice about my father-n-law....silence ....his older daughter could not stand it anymore....so she stood up and said " When my father became enrage and a monster, I would jump up and play the piano, old tunes he recognized from youth. It would calm him down>" And that was the end of that funeral. ...but his legacy lived on......

We had a neighbor lady die a few years back (sweet old lady; had a beautiful life, etc) I was awaiting my sister and SIL at the funeral home so we could all go in together at the viewing to pay our respects. After awhile DH and I just went in on our own.

My sister and SIL, long story short; went to the other funeral home in town where they "mingled" with other people there but when going to the casket, realized they were at the wrong viewing.

Sort of. My husbands grandmothers funeral was delayed twice due to his mother & her brothers fighting over WHO would pay for it (my mother in law seemingly ordered every little tchotchke from the funeral directors great big catalog of Crappy Cheap & Tacky Stuff for a Funeral and there was the teeny issue of one of the brothers telling everyone he paid off the grandfathers funeral 2 years prior but HADN'T, and understandably the funeral director didn't want to get stiffed again...no pun intended.
So at the actual two day shindig, once it actually happened, we could see where all the $$$ went. Various blankets w/ the grandmothers photo on it draped everywhere. Cut glass prisms with her photo in it scattered around. A wooden rose on every seat. The white & gold coffin w/ angel wings motif was a nice touch as well.

On the way home from that funeral we both reiterated our wishes to each other, not to have a funeral at all!

Oh a few.

1) A guy I had been dating in college and dumped for poor character begged me to attend a wedding saying he had no date. I agreed because he played the pity card, should have known. When he got me there he tried to make me jealous of him with a new girl but I was so apathetic I just wanted to go so he got drunker and meaner and made scene after scene, I didn't care at all but felt so bad for the bride over the antics and just wanted to leave the place and guy with some dignity. He wouldn't let me alone and kept screaming as I tried to call home in the phone booth until the manager intervened and let me use a phone and stood guard over me in the office until my parents got there. All he did was confirm that he needed to go.

2) I was in a wedding where the Maid of honors husband's pregnant mistress showed up with her brother and dad. I stepped out of the ladies room into an enormous screaming match and watched agog as the groom, a vice detective, and his friends dragged the interlopers out of the hall and into the street. The cheater left with the pregnant mistress and the Maid of honor fell into a sobbing pile to be comforted by the bride, whose day was plainly ruined. I will say at least they got through the first dance before things went boom

"A hundred bad days makes a hundred good stories" - AJR

During the cake-cutting ceremony, the groom succumbed to the cajoling of his friends and jammed his piece of cake into the bride's face. Even though I was one of those friends, I was still shocked. Anyway, the bride freaked out and locked herself in the bathroom for quite a while, until the bridesmaids finally talked her out. In the meantime, the groom got pretty drunk. Yes, they're divorced now.

A relative of mine got married. Another relative thought it was a huge mistake and got drunk. Tried to drive but his wife wouldn't allow it. I heard he opened the door and puked on the street. The marriage was annulled within a few months.

OMG - this thread brought back a really strange one.
When I was in college I would drive from Stockton to Santa Cruz just about every weekend to surf (I had a co-op job in Stockton - hated every minute of the experience). I'd connect with my surf buddies as much as I could but would go solo if that fell through. One time I called a buddy of mine in San Jose - "I'm in" he said, "but I have a wedding I am in. You are welcome to come to the wedding too if you want." Why not? I'm up for the adventure.

Well, that's when it started to get interesting!
The bride and groom had not had a bachelor/bachelorette party yet (don't worry, this doesn't go there) so we decided to do that. As the two groups are getting ready, there is a rumor that the bride is going to have a male stripper at her party. The groom flat-out forbids it, the wedding is off if she does. Off we go now (I'm with the groom and my surf buddy), NO IDEA if there will even be a wedding at this point. The groom's party ends up being pretty drama-free but we do get kicked out of an Embassy Suites for being too loud.

We go back and I sleep on the floor of my buddy's place. We wake up the next morning and the bride and groom have reconciled - there will be a wedding after all. It's outdoors at a park and it had rained the night before. As the bridal party walks down the aisle the high-heels get stuck in the soft ground. They manage to hold the ceremony that includes the release of doves. The priest gives a nice speech about how doves mate for life. Well, you might guess by now - the groom takes his dove, the bride takes hers. They toss them into the air, where one dove makes a bee-line for the nearest tree, and the other flies off, neither to be seen again.

Needless to say, this did not end well. I think my surf buddy said they lasted about 2 weeks - then split. It was for the best - really.

Last edited:
There was a funeral once held years ago. John & Mary (not their real names) went. The deceased was John's dad. John's father was a convicted child molester. Mary was 7 months pregnant with her & John's first child. The deceased was as fit as a fiddle and apparently one day, went to bed early and just never woke up. John & Mary went to the funeral to put some closure on that chapter.

During the small service, somebody decided it would be a good idea to go around and tell nice stories and say nice things about the deceased. Lots of silence until the somebody told their own story or 2 in order to get things going. Then lots of prompting from the pastor/minister for people to speak up (pastor/minister didn't know of the deceased's sorded criminal past).

Mary got up and walked out. A few minutes later, John followed. Then John's sister. Then John/John's sister's mother...all of whom also went to the funeral service to make doubly sure that he really was dead and wasn't ever coming back.

There was a fight at my wedding. One of my family members made my centerpieces and one of the distant cousins was drunk and started taking them apart. Well the person who made them told them to stop and it started a fight. My husband and I had no idea what to do, so we started dancing. A few weeks later when I met with the photographer she said we were such a classy couple for reacting the way we did. It was crazy, but there were so many people gathered around the people fighting and we didnt want to bring more attention to it.

None. I’ve only been to three funerals and I’ve never been to a wedding.

You have never been to a wedding in your entire life? How is that even possible! I went to my first wedding when I was 4! In my 20's we were going to countless weddings every single year! Its a rare year that we don't attend at least 1 wedding!

Groom passed out on alter, mother of groom went running down the aisle screaming right out the front doors....

Another wedding... in food line and the bread for the sandwiches were just loose in a garbage bag plopped on the table....blah

I went to one funeral, my bil's mother. One of his brothers yelled at a different brother that he was the one who killed his mom by doing cocaine. Same family, different person, a few people collapsed on the body during the wake. Weeping, kissing the body and making a scene. Then someone came in and started taking pictures of the body for a photo album.

You have never been to a wedding in your entire life? How is that even possible! I went to my first wedding when I was 4! In my 20's we were going to countless weddings every single year! Its a rare year that we don't attend at least 1 wedding!

Hey, I wish I hadn't been to any weddings - every one I've ever been to has been pretty boring, except for the rare, non-traditional type. I dread them, but fortunately haven't had to go to many. I'm a guy though, so my general attitude is that I'm good not being invited. Sometimes I think people get married just so they can ruin everyone they know's Saturday. ::yes::

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter