What is the BEST cruise tip you ever learned from the Dis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask your at home cosmetic lady (I suppose you could go to the cosmetics counter too.) to order you the sample sizes of your skin care and makeup. You can pack just enough for your trip and you don't have to carry it all back home.

I did this at my hairdresser too. she gave me sample sizes of my shampoo and conditioner.

Then we play "musical suitcases".

A woman after my own heart! :goodvibes

I also make sure we each have some complete outfits and swim suits in our carry ons. The last cruise we were on I overheard a woman saying how her luggage got lost and it took until the thirt port to get it...guess where her swim suit was and guess what the one thing you can't buy on a cruise ship is?

Thank you for the great suggestions!

I so have to grin about the luggage restrictions.. atleast our two kids are little (5 and 3 at cruise time) so while there is the 1 per person rule (without paying extra of course) we will still have an extra suitcase since the girls can easily share one. Our problem is that we only have 1 luggage set (2 suitcases and 1 carryon) since I am the only one who travels regularly for work. We need to buy suitcases!

Order the cake of the day for a room service snack in the afternoon:cake: , and might as well get a big Chocolate Chip cookie while your at it :goodvibes

It's been said many times that an over the door shoe holder (clear) is invaluable and I really underestimated how much we'd need it. There were so many things that would have got lost if we shoved them in drawers or would make the room look like an utter disaster if we left them sitting around.

The other thing is - if you're going to book a stroller from guest services, do it before the first off-ship excursion. By our second excursion, the strollers were all gone.

Order the cake of the day for a room service snack in the afternoon:cake: , and might as well get a big Chocolate Chip cookie while your at it :goodvibes

Can anyone tell me what the "cake of the day" has been in the past? Is this an additional fee (like alcohol) or is this part of the "regular" room service menu?

Can anyone tell me what the "cake of the day" has been in the past? Is this an additional fee (like alcohol) or is this part of the "regular" room service menu?

There is no additional charge - it is part of the regular room service menu:goodvibes

A woman after my own heart! :goodvibes

I also make sure we each have some complete outfits and swim suits in our carry ons. The last cruise we were on I overheard a woman saying how her luggage got lost and it took until the thirt port to get it...guess where her swim suit was and guess what the one thing you can't buy on a cruise ship is?

just an fyi...u can buy swimsuits on Disney Cruises....i bought one for myself on the last one we went on....couldn't resist the Mickey heads design! :)

Jen - that's a good point. Those swimsuits are really cute. I think they run from like 6-14 or so, so no pooh sized ones - nor skinny minnies - but for anyone in that range, a cute one piece.:goodvibes

It's been said many times that an over the door shoe holder (clear) is invaluable and I really underestimated how much we'd need it.

I too SECOND the over the door shoe holder :thumbsup2

A couple of other thing's the I like to take is...
Liquid Hand Soap, it eliminates the bar soap MESS by the sink, and is much easier to use!!!! (what ever is left over I just leave for either our stateroom host to take or I just toss)

And also "Little Paper Bathroom Cups" for brushing you teeth!!!!!

I don't think I've seen anyone with my packing tip:

I worry that the airlines will lose my luggage. So I have our suitcases opened up in the living room. Each person has a spot in the room and they put all of their clothes there. Then each person picks out what they need for a complete outfit and puts it in a stack. (shirt and matching pants for casual dinner, include underwear and socks, etc) (shorts and t-shirt plus undies, sandals)

Then we play "musical suitcases". We walk around the room and each put a set of casual dinner clothes into suitcase #1. Everyones formal wear is in one suitcase. (with the good shoes too) Everyones pirate outfit is in the same suitcase. ETC. Keep walking around the room putting a type of clothing for each person in the suitcase until everything's packed! It doesn't come out even, but at least everyone will have an assortment of clothes available! This way , I figure if we lose a piece of luggage before we sail, each person will have a few complete outfits in the other suitcases. I put special clothes, formal and pirate, in the same suitcase. Then we all look dressed up or we don't together.

My family thinks I'm crazy for making them do this, but now it's the joke they look forward to!
But if we ever lose a suitcase they'll thank me!! :grouphug:

So if we ever see a family alternating between formal wear and pirate wear each day we know you lost the suitcase with your "normal/casual" clothes! :)

My cruise is Memorial Day 2010, double dip to Castaway Cay. I discovered many wonderful tips. Just finished reading all 35 pages. I also discovered that I have OVD. Obsessive vacation disorder....I'm so excited.

My cruise is Memorial Day 2010, double dip to Castaway Cay. I discovered many wonderful tips. Just finished reading all 35 pages. I also discovered that I have OVD. Obsessive vacation disorder....I'm so excited.

:rotfl: I was wondering what my disorder was called.. lol..

I have been on here for two days writing things down, calling dh in here to read things..

OVD! I love it! :rotfl:

It took me two nights, but I got through this whole string. I don't know how I missed it actually, but thanks to whoever bumped it recently so I spotted it. I have everything written down in my "cruise planning notebook" - just a 5" x 5" spiral bound I found at Michael's in the $1 bins, but it's great to jot down my notes.

We leave in two weeks and I'm super obsessed with the planning, so these tips are great! :thumbsup2

Do you guys realize I started this thread way back in 2005?:woohoo: and over 91,000 Disers have read it, its still going strong:yay:! What I would give to get our family back on the Magic. For now, we enjoy everything about DW though, leaving in 12 days!:dance3:

I haven't read all 35 pages and this may have been mentioned-

a small extension cord with mulitple outlets. It is a life saver when trying to get everyone ready for dinner at the same time. Also, remember there are outlets BEHIND the TV. We use them to keep the iPods charged and things that like.

I haven't read all 35 pages and this may have been mentioned-

a small extension cord with mulitple outlets. It is a life saver when trying to get everyone ready for dinner at the same time. Also, remember there are outlets BEHIND the TV. We use them to keep the iPods charged and things that like.

What worked for us, was just a cube you plug into the outlet that has multiple outlets...I packed 2 of them, one for the vanity area and the other for the bathroom..with 3 of us blow drying/curling hair, it work great!!!! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter