• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What Thanksgiving side dishes are usually at your table?

Cornbread dressing
Gravy
Homemade cranberry sauce
Sweet potato casserole
Dumplings
Roasted fall veggies
Broccoli casserole
7 Layer salad
Fruit salad

Sweet potato pie
Pecan pie
Chocolate pie

And this year I need to figure out a way to add green beans. Dd's bf doesn't eat any vegetables except green beans and I always have everyone's favorite on the table. We don't eat green beans much and definitely not green bean casserole.

A citrus and greens (of late, arugula) salad. Or maybe a chopped salad pyramid mound. Trust me kale or mustard greens will show up in it.
Stuffin' muffins a la Rachel Ray. Or Julia and Jacques Deconstructed Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing.
Mashed cauliflower in a crockpot. Easy to make in advance. If you prefer mashed taters that work in a slow cooker as well.
String beans. Generally blanched, frozen and then sauteed with aromatics.
Sometimes Indian pudding; sometimes souffled corn pudding. Sometimes neither; the market rules.
Either sauteed with garlic and/or shallots Swiss chard or Brussels sprouts, fresh from older sis's garden; sometimes both. Many of us like either with bacon but in deference to the family's pescetarians, it's often left out.
Of late, sweet potatoes only show up in a pie.
Had a bumper crop of the ingredients for ratatouille? There it is again. Or just make succotash.
Roasted root veggies or a carrot or hard squash soup.
Homemade cranberry chutney or sauce. So easy peasy to make, I've no idea why the canned stuff is still around.
Relish tray in deference to my Nana's always served dish and gold edged leaf shaped made of glass serving pieces. The beets are no longer pickled canned though.
For several years Alton Brown's make ahead gravy has been on the table and kept warm in a mini crock pot.

For several years, I've hosted between 18-32 for Thanksgiving which made it a buffet, complete with Caspari paper plates and buffet napkins. Not quite as nice as the bone china my mother and Grandmother gave me but they still show ( the plates and my mother, LOL) up for more formal sit down meals. For the buffets, I tend to make three 9 pound birds, cooked in different ways: a cut up partially de-boned bird and 2 whole birds brined with different seasonings and a stuffed whole fish (generally Swiss chard) or side of a whole fish, for the fish only eaters.

Coffee table hors d'oeuvres are generally veggie based to satisfy the fish and vegetarian eaters on our end but occasionally a platter of Rockefeller or raw oysters or stuffed eggs show up. I've found that less carb eating early on makes the main course disappear over the years.

Desserts are very often store bought on this end. A tarte Tatin; a homemade lemon frozen dessert ( thank goodness I can do that and my grandmothers aren't hanging their heads in shame from beyond, LOL) and when I'm really going good, homemade Amish style apple dumplings. Gotta have a bowl of dried fruit, mixed nuts and one of fresh fruits or I'd be shamed for the rest of the year and beyond.

Everyone starts at the front door with spiced apple cider (your slow cooker is your friend for this) and continues drinking it until it's gone or they are sated.

Last edited:
We are skipping thanksgiving this year, but my usual table has:

Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Corn casserole
Cranberries
Stuffing
Broccoli salad
Dinner rolls
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato casserole
Salad
Macaroni and cheese
Tossed salad

Southern Cornbread Dressing
Stovetop Stuffing - for my brother-in-law from the North who will ONLY eat Stovetop because that's what his mom always fixed
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole - the one w/ the brown sugar & pecan topping AND, sometimes, a Sweet Potato Souffle w/ Marshmallow Topping too
Sauteed Green Beans w/ Bacon & Onions
Corn Souffle
Honey Roasted Squash & Apples w/ Pralines
Baked Beans
Macaroni & Cheese
Cranberry Sauce (Homemade AND the Canned w/ Ridges)
Kale & Cranberry Salad
Deviled Eggs
Orange-Pineapple Jello Salad (my mom makes it every single year)
Yeast Rolls

Very traditional here:

Dressing
Mashed potatoes/gravy
Green beans/almonds
Green bean casserole
Cranberry/orange relish
Both canned types of cranberries
Sweet potatoes

I host & cook the turkeys. Everyone brings a side dish & knows what to bring (we've been doing it this way for decades!)

These are de rigueur at every Thanksgiving

Stuffing-baked in a separate dish, but I still call it stuffing, not dressing
Gravy-from a jar
Canned jellied cranberry sauce
Sauteed mushrooms and onions
Martin's potato rolls
Butter shaped like a turkey

The rest can vary:

Potatoes-garlic mashed, twice baked, roasted fingerlings, baked sweet potatoes, scalloped

Vegetables-broccoli/cauliflower casserole, roasted carrots and parsnips, brussels sprouts, green bean casserole, asparagus

Desserts-pumpkin pie, apple pie, cheesecake, cupcakes

And for the first time this year, macaroni and cheese

No appetizers or salads.

mashed potatoes
stuffing, gotta be in the bird...just tastes better!
buttered corn
gravy
Grands biscuits
cole slaw
black olives
pumpkin pie
apple crumb pie

I HATE cooking turkey dinner, seriously!

mashed potatoes with gravy
cranberries
corn casserole
green bean casserole
oyster dressing
noodles
deviled eggs
relish tray
yeast rolls
sometimes sweet potatoes

Ours are

Potatoes
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Home made buns (my specialty)
Peas and carrots
Gravy

We had a warm thanksgiving this year so it was nice.

A few years ago, my husband complained that there weren't enough side dishes at Thanksgiving. So I made him a deal - he would clean the kitchen throughout the 2 day prep and the actual day, and I would cook whatever he wanted. It was a feast. First course - shrimp and lobster bisque. And it only got more extravagant from there. I know I cooked at least 15 things from scratch. By halfway through the second day, he was grumbling about the cleaning. By Thanksgiving day, he was inconsolable to the point of not being able to enjoy the meal. The next year - I offered to do the same thing. He shut that down fast.

Since then:
Honey Baked ham
sausage dressing
mac and cheese
rolls
cranberry sauce
yams
pecan pie
pralines
ice cream

Everything is made from scratch except for the ham and the ice cream.

Also - champagne - can't forget that.

Roasted potatoes and parsnips and sweet potatoes
Caramelized Brussel sprouts
Turnip and Apple casserole
Truffle Mac and Cheese (cashew cheese) with cauliflower and mushrooms
Cranberry sauce
Dressing
Gravy

Vegan no bake pumpkin pie with coconut cream

cheese, salami & crackers
veggie tray
spinach artichoke dip

turkey
mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
broccoli casserole
corn
green beans
dressing
cranberry sauce
gravy
homemade applesauce
rolls w/ butter

apple pie

maybe going to try and add in a butternut or pumpkin soup this year.

Turkey and stuffing with gravy (jarred because I just can't seem to get it right from scratch)
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
garlic green beans
salad
rolls
canned cranberry -becuz it's not thanksgiving without the ridges in it (no one eats it anyway lol)

pumpkin pie and apple pies - might go banana cream this year too but I haven't decided.

My family and I go out for Thanksgiving proper because it got to be too much for my aunt and uncle to host Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and everything in between. So we go to a really nice buffet. It has all the traditional favorites plus stuff like roasted salmon, fried chicken, and a ton of sides and desserts. I normally go non-traditional on this day because the roast beef and salmon are SO good.

Then the weekend after I make a full meal just for myself (and eat off of it for a week and usually still freeze a big bag of turkey meat). The sides I make are:
Stuffing (IN the turkey because that is how it is done)
Sweet potatoes (this year making my exboyfriend's mom's sweet potato casserole)
Green bean casserole
Rolls (most likely a big pack of Hawiian rolls so I can make mini sandwiches with them)
Peanut butter pie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter