What they've taken away

My last trip was in 2017, was an underwhelming flop, and we decided we were done then. In the intervening pre-pandemic years we have kayaked with orcas in the Johnstone Strait, explored Rome, Pompeii and Positano, had an unexpected day in Copenhagen visiting Tívoli Gardens (talk about historic theme parks), and seen the sights of Paris and London (Versailles, Jardín D’ Acclimatation and Stonehenge being highlights).

I‘ve paid almost no attention to Disney at all until the recent announcements and WOW. Why would ANYONE want to spend even more money for what you’re currently getting. It was bad enough in 2017 now that’s like the good ole days! I remember my trips from the mid-90s which were TRULY magical. THAT place has been gone for a long, loooong time. What was in its place was just boriing and not worth it and now they’ve stomped on that as well. Good luck to all who continue to go. I hope you find some value for your money there although I suspect you’re just coasting on memories.
That's a pretty good group of places to visit! Been to most of those and many other wonderful spots. With the exception of a return trip to Rome, none on that list would be ahead of another trip to WDW. I guess we all have our reasons for doing what we do. Thank God some people are staying away! I do recommend branching out to the Asian Pacific area...some really awesome places to visit there.

That's a pretty good group of places to visit! Been to most of those and many other wonderful spots. With the exception of a return trip to Rome, none on that list would be ahead of another trip to WDW. I guess we all have our reasons for doing what we do. Thank God some people are staying away! I do recommend branching out to the Asian Pacific area...some really awesome places to visit there.

You must really, really, really love Disney World.

eta: and if I’m a WDW exec reading that I’m high fiving my colleagues and deciding what cuts to make next. And what else to charge for. Maybe baggies full of glitter they can give CMs to throw on you and call it pixie dust! Only 20 dollars a person!

Last edited:
In that case, the Dining Plan should probably be removed from the list then. It was a paid add-on that was only offered "free" during specials and IN LIEU OF discounted rooms (so it really wasnt free).

I agree. I do not think the dining plan was a loss for Disney, therefore it's not a cash decision to remove it and it's not something they "took away" from the value. AT BEST Disney broke even on the dining plan, and more likely they made money off of it. So it was not taken away to save money - at least not in the sense the OP was talking.

My first visit was in 2008. It seems difficult to believe that was the same WDW. Who today visiting for first time would believe there used to be daytime parades not only in MK but also AK and DHS. There was even a nighttime parade in MK! Can you believe that???!

Also, there was once a nighttime entertainment district including an incredible immersive themed club called The Adventurers Club, owned and ran by actual Disney CMs with free entry!! Can you believe it? I’m not sure if I dreamt it.

Speaking of dreams… anyone remember “year of a million dreams” where CMs would randomly surprise guests with granting dreams/wishes (without having to pay an extra subscription) in a completely magical way?!

Yes! That was my family's first trip. It was SO magical. We received limited edition Million Dreams Mickey Ears and a lanyard of Fast Passes for that day. 💜

EDITED: I'm adding what folks pointed out from the posts below!
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

1. Free hotel parking for guests
2. Daily housekeeping (or the option to forego for gift cards)
3. Fast Pass and the advance planning it allowed
4. Day-of choice of which park to attend
5. Extra Magic Hours (morning AND evening)
6. Park Hopping when you want to
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan
9. Street entertainment (like Citizens of Hollywood)
-------Below from all of your comments-----
10. Free Magic Bands (and the fun box with the luggage tags!)
11. Resort entertainment in lounges, lobbies, and restaurants
12. Nighttime shows like Fantasmic!
13. Resort luggage check-in
14. Daily cross-park locker rentals
15. Full access to pools (longer hours) and facilities (showers, etc)
16. Full Parades
17. Tours and affordable add-ons
18. Character meet-n-greets in lines, at restaurants; photos
19. Resort package delivery
20. Parking lot trams
21. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (how could I forget? We loved it!)
22. Some boat services and monorail routes
23. Minnie vans
24. Park-to-park transportation service
25. Hoop de Doo Musical Review at FW
'
What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None.

Bob Paycheck thanks you for your understanding during these difficult times.
Oh and thank you for the fat bonus. Now I can add another 5,000 SF to my mansion.

They took away park to park shuttles??? I wasn't aware of that. Are people renting cars then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter