• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What they've taken away

Ursula J

Mouseketeer
EDITED: I'm adding what folks pointed out from the posts below!
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

1. Free hotel parking for guests
2. Daily housekeeping (or the option to forego for gift cards)
3. Fast Pass and the advance planning it allowed
4. Day-of choice of which park to attend
5. Extra Magic Hours (morning AND evening)
6. Park Hopping when you want to
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan
9. Street entertainment (like Citizens of Hollywood)
-------Below from all of your comments-----
10. Free Magic Bands (and the fun box with the luggage tags!)
11. Resort entertainment in lounges, lobbies, and restaurants
12. Nighttime shows like Fantasmic!
13. Resort luggage check-in
14. Daily cross-park locker rentals
15. Full access to pools (longer hours) and facilities (showers, etc)
16. Full Parades
17. Tours and affordable add-ons
18. Character meet-n-greets in lines, at restaurants; photos
19. Resort package delivery
20. Parking lot trams
21. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (how could I forget? We loved it!)
22. Some boat services and monorail routes
23. Minnie vans
24. Park-to-park transportation service
25. Hoop de Doo Musical Review at FW
'
What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None.

Last edited:
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

5. Extra Magic Hours
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan
Yes...all of these.... but the one I'm saddest about is #9- and not just the Citizens....the free atmosphere shows that used to be everywhere all over property. I spent a lot of years just enjoying that aspect while my fam enjoyed the rides etc.

5. Extra Magic Hours
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan

What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camels back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
Mentally you may have included this with 7 - but Resort Airline Check-In and the Bags, Inc service. Free Magic Bands.

Shortened pool hours.
Shortened park hours.
Affordable parties: such as Pirate and Princess; Not so Scary Halloween Party
Characters while you wait for a character meal: ie Fairy Godmother at 1900 Park fare; Donald at Chef Mickey
Free photos with your character meal: Akshurus
Lockers that parked hopped with you. Now you have to pay at each park in the same day.
Free ball at the mini golf.
Prizes at the pool

This thread is depressing but so true.

Already covered here, but to dive deeper, how about late night EMH for resort guests like Magic Kingdom until 3:00AM. Included in your stay, yes even for us peons staying at Pop Century. Those were the days... sigh.

Yes...all of these.... but the one I'm saddest about is #9- and not just the Citizens....the free atmosphere shows that used to be everywhere all over property. I spent a lot of years just enjoying that aspect while my fam enjoyed the rides etc.

Citizens of Hollywood were the best thing about Hollywood Studios IMO. I could have watched them all day long and not rode a single ride, and been happy.

Well I have heard the pool showers are still closed at POP due to "safety" reasons. Maybe somebody can explain how the 2 or 3 people sharing a larger space is more risky then packing us in 1000s at the parks. At least be honest and state due to "Staffing" issue". Either they dont want to pay or cant get help.
Might seem little, but we always shower before we get on the DME for an evening flight after swimming on check-out day or running around the parks getting all sweaty.

5. Extra Magic Hours
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan

What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camels back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
Ive been going on about this type of stuff for years - and stopped going to Disney in 2016.
The last time I did go I stayed at Universal and got a shuttle to Disney for two days - that was more than enough.
So I went from doing Disney 2-3 times a year to Universal 1-2 times a year and I really enjoy it much more than those last few years at Disney.

Pretty much the only reason to go back to visit Disney for me is Trader Sams and Nostalgia

Well I have heard the pool showers are still closed at POP due to "safety" reasons. Maybe somebody can explain how the 2 or 3 people sharing a larger space is more risky then packing us in 1000s at the parks. At least be honest and state due to "Staffing" issue". Either they dont want to pay or cant get help.
Might seem little, but we always shower before we get on the DME for an evening flight after swimming on check-out day or running around the parks getting all sweaty.
Disney is being dishonest about safety reasons.

The idea that folks could cram themselves together for the fireworks is all the proof we need.

The problem of locating new staff was 'confirmed' by many staff members we spoke with at the restaurants we dined earlier this month. Oddly enough, the most details came from a Server I recognized from many experiences over the years at the same establishment - we each smiled at the familiar face.

The College Program was also impacted, and this too has complicated having enough staff.

P.S. I'll add what's missing:
- boating on the Lakes
- piano player at Casey's
- Jazz Band in Grand Floridian
- shows (Rivers of Light, Fantastic!)
- Dessert Parties (and other add-ons)

Last edited:
This all just prompted us to change our January trip to Universal instead, which we've never visited as a family. End of an era but looking forward to comparing the experiences.
Our 'add-on' for our Disney vacation was not a dessert party, etc, but a few nights at Universal.

It's not Disney.

But it's not Six Flags either.

Ride theming was a bit cheesy (not as good as Disney), but at least we were surprised by some theming (unlike Six Flags).

However, Harry Potter showed us what Pandora & Galaxies Edge could have been. It was both immersive & impressive. We are looking forward to the new Park by Universal, Epic.

While I loved the WDW vacations we were able to take, I'm glad they are making the choice to skip it VERY easy for us now. It's pretty much a no-brainer (for us) to skip WDW now. Our last trip was pretty epic - dessert parties, EMM, special tour, HDDR, and other great stuff. I hope some of the great stuff returns for future guests for a decent price, but from my view, it's not looking that promising at the moment.

Thanks for the memories, Walt!

How about tours like Keys to the Kingdom. I don't see why this can't be safely brought back, maybe make the parties smaller, heck make masks required if they're that concerned about it. I am aware it could be a staffing issue as well, maybe they no longer employ the CM's who used to lead the tours.

Already covered here, but to dive deeper, how about late night EMH for resort guests like Magic Kingdom until 3:00AM. Included in your stay, yes even for us peons staying at Pop Century. Those were the days... sigh.

Yes. This is one of the biggest things I miss. We used to do a 7 day trip, but only do a 4 day park hopper because you could stay at MK and HS to midnight or later during the summer. 11pm for Epcot.

So your 4 park days you would stay at the parks late, and then sleep in a little on your off days and explore the resort or Disney springs type stuff (golf).

No you have to cram everything in a 10am to 7pm day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter