What would make the resort hotels “worth it”?

Well I just tried to get in on the 25% discount, and there are no rooms available at any of the three hotels during the period of my stay, so they seem to be doing okay :)

We’re already booked at DLH though. I can see why paying $500-$700 is a ridiculous spend for anyone who visits the park with regularity unless there are some real “extras” built in. However, our family is coming from out of state, has never been to DL, and most likely will not be back. So the perk for us is… fanciness, quite honestly. To be very close to the park, next to the monorail, in a Disney-fied space, close to good restaurants (with both Goofy’s and Trader Sam’s in the hotel), nice pools and water slides, and just generally staying within Disney for the entirety of the trip IS the perk. If we did this every year, then no, I’m not paying that for a place to sleep, but for us, the feel and experience of the hotel will be very much a part of our trip, and so it’s worth it on that basis alone.

ETA: EMH would have been awesome, but if I were a wagering person, I bet it never comes back. It is clearly an added expenses in terms of staffing and operations that Disney has learned it doesn’t need to offer. Just like park reservations (which I love, everywhere), I think the loss of EMH is probably a permanent pandemic side effect.

The price is really out of range for us.. however if they brought back early entry I might consider a stay a paradise pier or a split stay with the Disneyland hotel.
This was also our issue. Even Deluxe resorts at WDW are more in budget than the GC and DLH. We are staying at a good neighbor instead and are excited by what we’ve been hearing about it (plus we are right across the street!)

Well I just tried to get in on the 25% discount, and there are no rooms available at any of the three hotels during the period of my stay, so they seem to be doing okay :)

We’re already booked at DLH though. I can see why paying $500-$700 is a ridiculous spend for anyone who visits the park with regularity unless there are some real “extras” built in. However, our family is coming from out of state, has never been to DL, and most likely will not be back. So the perk for us is… fanciness, quite honestly. To be very close to the park, next to the monorail, in a Disney-fied space, close to good restaurants (with both Goofy’s and Trader Sam’s in the hotel), nice pools and water slides, and just generally staying within Disney for the entirety of the trip IS the perk. If we did this every year, then no, I’m not paying that for a place to sleep, but for us, the feel and experience of the hotel will be very much a part of our trip, and so it’s worth it on that basis alone.

ETA: EMH would have been awesome, but if I were a wagering person, I bet it never comes back. It is clearly an added expenses in terms of staffing and operations that Disney has learned it doesn’t need to offer. Just like park reservations (which I love, everywhere), I think the loss of EMH is probably a permanent pandemic side effect.

EMH will most likely come back. Why?
1) It is still listed on the Disneyland site, and that it is just temporarily unavailable.
2) Disneyworld has it (although just 30 minutes instead of an hour.)

So... I think it will either come back, or it may come back altered, like it is at Disneyworld.

Edit to add: Still on Disneyland Site:
The following activities and amenities are not available at this time:

• Select hotel dining
  • Room service at the Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel
  • Arts of Craft Tour
  • Children’s lobby entertainment areas
  • Extra Magic Hour benefit
  • Special classes and programs

They are already worth it to us, but we never HAVE to stay at a hotel since we live so close. We choose to, for a fun weekend every once in awhile. But we also have access to the military discount. My stay at DLH this weekend is costing under $400/night after taxes and parking. It's a fun splurge.

By the way, full housekeeping is back by request upon check in.

We never uses EMH. We like to have relaxed mornings and don't roll into the parks until after 9am at the earliest.

We like the pools and the ease of getting back to the room. I cannot stand Harbor Blvd. The only good thing on Harbor is Joe's Italian Ices. I will never pay money to stay at a motel on Harbor, personally.

A leg-up on dining reservations might be a nice 'on-site hotel perk,' too? Honestly, I'd like to walk up the concierge desk, have a brief discussion and walk away with a dining reservation within my "top 3 choices." I know, that is asking a lot. I know.

I'll settle for the length of stay reservation window that WDW has. Please and thank you, Disney.

I thought of another thing that would make the resort hotels more "Worth it" to me.

Being able to choose your room and bed configuration ahead of time. I would probably stay there more often if I knew what beds I would get. It drives me crazy spending that much $ but knowing there's a risk that all 4 of us could be in a room with 1 king bed and a sofabed or something.

I also would love it if staying in the hotels got you an automatic park reservations.

Advance dining reservations, or even a bucket of last minute reservations that you could book once you arrive.

I guess I’m no help because I already am in the “worth it” category - last 2 stays were at DLH and GCH (w/ 20% and 25% discounts). I never stayed pre-covid, so don’t have anything I am “missing” - I was, however, pleased to see the walk around the park and other fitness classes return. Would love to do one on a future stay.

I can confirm that the Conceirge at the GCH said not to worry about park reservations when I added days to our tickets. I was concerned about that and she basically said it is a non-issue for hotel guests.

P.S. One thing I am glad has not returned (at least so far) is having to be a guest at the GCH to use the spa. Had an awesome spa experience last week when staying with family nearby and my MK was blocked. I had the most lovely afternoon/evening at the spa and GCH grounds afterwards I may try and do that every visit!

I have stayed at the HOJO on every previous trip. It is a great alternative. But this year we splurged on the DLH and I would have a hard time going anywhere else. I love everything about it: the aesthetic, the grounds, the pool area, Trader Sam's. You really feel like you are in a resort. So it is worth it to me!

I think I may speak for a lot of others that if budget wasn't an issue for my family we would Absolutely choose the disneyland hotel. I want to stay there. It's a bucket list. But it's double the cost of our good neighborhood hotel.

The only thing I want is EMH. It is such a huge perk.

When I stay at the GCH it is for location, location, location. It is crazy expensive - 5 star prices and barely a 3 star hotel. However, I live in LA so if I am going to stay at DLR I want the easy access to the parks. We have Magic Keys and planned to try the other Disney hotels. Have yet to do that though.

Maybe a slice of old bread and glass of water, can't even beg to get that at Paradise Pier hotel no food bev options.

I'm pointing this out since they have not lowered room rates even with literally less than 2-star accommodations. I guess it's all about supply vs. demand as long as occupancy stays high they won't bring things back (since guests still pay even without amenities)

Relax in the pool? nope.
Daily housekeeping? nope.

1650742851303.png

1650742893136.png
1650742920894.png

Last edited:
When I stay at the GCH it is for location, location, location. It is crazy expensive - 5 star prices and barely a 3 star hotel.
I'm sorry but this is completely untethered from reality. Go stay in an actual three star hotel near LAX and see how much $300 gets you. Make sure you're up to date on your shots and keep your shoes on.

I'm sorry but this is completely untethered from reality. Go stay in an actual three star hotel near LAX and see how much $300 gets you. Make sure you're up to date on your shots and keep your shoes on.
I get your point, but I've had better service and amenities (breakfast, kitchen, separate bedroom) at Homewood Suites Convention Center on Harbor for $150+ a night vs $800 a GCH. Location is a huge, huge factor.

I get your point, but I've had better service and amenities (breakfast, kitchen, separate bedroom) at Homewood Suites Convention Center on Harbor for $150+ a night vs $800 a GCH. Location is a huge, huge factor.
Inflation, mate. This is what you'll pay for a SINGLE queen bed these days.

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort - Convention Center

Screenshot_20220423-155909.png

Don't forget to tack on $100 a day for your rental car and/or Uber.

Yes, Grand Cal is obscenely expensive. 5-star prices and beyond. But it's not a 3-star hotel. It's an excellent 4-star hotel.

Inflation, mate. This is what you'll pay for a SINGLE queen bed these days.

Don't forget to tack on $100 a day for your rental car and/or Uber.

Yes, Grand Cal is obscenely expensive. 5-star prices and beyond. But it's not a 3-star hotel. It's an excellent 4-star hotel.

I can play that game too, lets try weekday non-spring break (May 10th)

1650744544815.png

We still stay at GCH (usually) and DLH (if GCH is sold out like it was for our October last minute trip last year). I would love EMH to return, and as OP said, I would love to be able to reserve my bedding configuration at booking (like so many other lower priced hotels). Daily housekeeping is available by request at both GCH and DLH (we just stayed at GCH Easter weekend, and stayed at DLH in October). Early access to LLs, ILLs (like WDW) and dining would be big bonuses. The “hotel bucket” has been very useful to us, but I think many people (including CMs) don’t know about it.

What would make it truly (as in no hesitations about the cost) worth it to me? Hmmm.....in this order:

Guaranteed park hopping reservations for length of stay

EMH or 'After Hours' a la WDW

Package Delivery

Daily complete mousekeeping

Park hop ressies as above but with hopping from noon instead of 2pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter