what would you have done?

DisneyDude61

Mouseketeer
My husband and i were leaving Holloywood studio's and a little girl about 7 or 8 came running up to me saying "miss miss you dropped something and my mom has it back here". I had a few dollars in my short pocket ( about 10.00 in 5 and 1's) and as soon as she called me I put my hand in my pocket and realized it was gone. I went back a few steps to where the girl said her mom was, and the women pretended not to know what the little girl was talking about! The girl kept saying "Mom Mom heres the lady" and the women just kept walking ignoring both me and her daughter!
I just looked at the women. I didnt want to say anything and cause a scene in front of the little girl and ruin her disney trip.
It turns out we were both walking to the boat to get to BC and the girl was next to me with her father ( mother was much further back) and I turned to the little girl and said "thank you, anyway, you did the right thing" and she said "Thank you" while her father just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders as if to say what do you want me to do.
I can't believe that someone would put their child in that kind of situation. the little girl was obviously upset cause her mom didnt give me back the money she saw fall from my pocket. My husband was mad and wanted me to say something, but like I told him, if you need 10.00 that bad, then you can have it. I was impressed with the little girl for her honesty.
its still bugging me though, i wonder if I did the right thing, or if I should have said something to the women. It wasnt the money, it was only 10 and I wouldve given the girl the ones for being honest, but It bugs me when I think I should say something and I don't.
what would you have done

Wow! That is definitely shocking but I think you did the right thing. :flower3:

It was great that you didn't make a scene for the little girl's sake and you definitely kept your cool. I only hope that I could do the same under those circumstances, although it would probably get to be quite a bit (to say the least).

I would have called her on it, but hey you did what you though was right

some people :headache:

Wow! Wow with how impressed I am the little girl was so good and observative. And Wow....the mom got called out by her daughter and did nothing.

I'm with you...if you need $10 that bad, then you can have it. And to be honest...if you need money that bad, then the issue is not between you and I.

What goes around, comes around and I'm sure that lady will get her own someday...

Umm are you serious!!!! That woman is flipping ignorant...wow it's only ten dollars...if I saw somebody drop a dollar I would give it to the person. That is just so rude and sad at the same time.

At least the kid has some morals...thank God because her mother obviously doesn't.

Would I have said something...yeah, I would have said are you serious? That woman is a very sad person.

Not that the $10 would have made me or broke me, but I would have said something to the lady along the lines of, "Hey, your daughter said you found something of mine? I hope it is the cash I had in my pocket. I really had to dig to get that out of all my crevices last week after my last shift stripping before this vacation."

The little girl did not learn her manners from her mom, I wonder who is teaching them to her! That is so cool that the little girl did that. I would have said somehing to the lady at least to let her know that I KNEW she was keeping something that was not hers, but it would not touch her consience much anyway, if she was willing to ignore her own daughter! Wow, What a terrible example to that little girl, and thank God she is learning good manners somewhere.
Karma...karma will always come around...:goodvibes

DH lost his money clip once with a great deal of money in it at DLR once. Of course we never found it or got it back. You just gotta hope that someone who really needed it more than we did found it.

ariel

Not that the $10 would have made me or broke me, but I would have said something to the lady along the lines of, "Hey, your daughter said you found something of mine? I hope it is the cash I had in my pocket. I really had to dig to get that out of all my crevices last week after my last shift stripping before this vacation."

HAHAHAHAHAHA too funny... or maybe something like "Oh gosh, I'd hate to lose my lucky five dollar bill... just last week Rover the family dog ate it, and we had to wait 3 whole days for it to come out the other end!"

I think you did the right thing. It's definetly not worth ruining the little (although obviously much more mature than her mother) girl's vacation. I can't believe the mom would put her in that situation either, or even the fact that the mom wouldn't have been the one to be first to let you know. That's so dissappointing that a mother would do that. It also makes me wonder where the little girl got her values, since it obviously wasn't from her mom. I totally think you did the right thing. The little girl has enough problems going on in her family, that $10 isn't worth her embarrassment. It's just so sad to me that she has to be raised like that. I'm also very glad though that you got to thank her later. At least she's reassurred by you that she did the right thing.:)

I don't think the OP would have ruined the kids vacation by saying something.....it would have been the mother who would ruin it...because of her actions the OP would have had to say something. The kids MOM would have ruined it.not OP.

So OP please don't feel like you would have ruined the kids vacation.....this reminds me of something that happened to me at my old job. Something happened to me and it was a girl I work with DH who caused the problem...I wanted to say something but my boss would not let me because I would ruin their marriage....no because of what he did he would have ruined their marriage not me. So it's frustrating and upsetting to me when I see people saying I can't say something because I could ruin this that or the other.

The little girl and her family are staying at BC, but the mom has to steal $10 from a stranger? Something's wrong with that picture! (Or maybe they weren't staying at BC, maybe they were headed over there to look around or eat a meal, but still!) I'm glad the child knew to do the right thing, but I wonder exactly what that parent thinks they are teaching their child.

I am glad you didn't make a scene, you never know what kind of "discipline" this little girl will get for the perceived notion that she "ratted" out her mother.
I am sure the mother was embarassed, and will most likely take it out on her daughter with either a tongue-lashing or more.

OP, you did the right thing. If you had called the mom out and made a scene, it would have just been ugly. As it was, you taught the little girl that some things are more important than money. Self-esteem and honesty are more important than any amount of money. Thank you for thanking that little girl and telling her that she did the right thing. There is still hope for the next generation.

Once I realized the mom was ignoring it, I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and smiled at the kid and walked off.

Ten dollars isn't worth worrying myself over, much less something about which I'd confront a stranger.

If the woman wants the $10 that badly, who cares. If it had meant anything to me, it wouldn't have fallen out of my pocket.

OP, you did the right thing. If you had called the mom out and made a scene, it would have just been ugly. As it was, you taught the little girl that some things are more important than money. Self-esteem and honesty are more important than any amount of money. Thank you for thanking that little girl and telling her that she did the right thing. There is still hope for the next generation.

:thumbsup2
Ditto! What goes around comes around. This lady will reap what she sews.:sad2:

I am impressed. My 7 year old at the time found a wad of cash near the french fry cart between splash mountain & where you exit Pirates. She brought it to me. It was more than a hundred. I asked her, "Did you see who dropped it?" She told me & I walked over to the man & asked him if he was missing anything & to check his pockets. I asked if he had been near the ketchupby the fry cart. Maybe we had a language barrier or something but he was extremely rude & told be to "bug off." I showed him the money clip & he waved me off. Either it wasn't his or he wanted my daughter to have it, I guess? Thanks dude! It paid for our dinner the next night.

I would have done the same thing. While I could have used that $10.00, it sure wouldn't be worth a big scene over.
Kudos to the little girl who tried to return something that didn't belong to them.

I don't think the OP would have ruined the kids vacation by saying something.....it would have been the mother who would ruin it...because of her actions the OP would have had to say something. The kids MOM would have ruined it.not OP.

So OP please don't feel like you would have ruined the kids vacation.....this reminds me of something that happened to me at my old job. Something happened to me and it was a girl I work with DH who caused the problem...I wanted to say something but my boss would not let me because I would ruin their marriage....no because of what he did he would have ruined their marriage not me. So it's frustrating and upsetting to me when I see people saying I can't say something because I could ruin this that or the other.

I totally agree with you that it would have/was completely the mother's fault if the vacation was "ruined" or the child got upset, because it was the action of the mother that caused the problem in the first place, and with only dealing with adults, like the situation with your work place, I totally agree that you should say something, because you're totally right. YOU'RE not ruining anything, the DH did by whatever he did, and I think you should have been allowed to stand up for yourself ect. I just think in the OP's situation, because there was a child involved, and obviously the parent doesn't have very good morals to start out with, I doubt the parent would have thought of the child's feelings at all, if the OP would have said something. The mother might have acted fine, but you never know, she also could have completely made a scene, and I agree with another poster who said you don't know the repercussion's that the child would have had to delt with from her mother.

OP, I think you handled the situation perfectly. You probably made the little girl feel better by what you said to her.
Kudos to you!!!:thumbsup2

I think that little girl was probably already going to "get it" from her mom when they were alone again. If you would do something like that in front of your child I have no doubt there would have been a punishment for it. Maybe you saved that girl from getting it worse by not saying something. Poor child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter