what would you have done?

Way to go OP! You definitly did the right thing. I just hate to think of their conversation later about it. My DD wouldn't have let it go and would have been asking me all kinds of questions as to why I didn't give it back. I shudder to think of what her Mother may have told her.
DS found a $20 once in the parking lot of WalMart and was very upset that he didn't know who it belonged to so he could give it back. He didn't want to keep it cause it wasn't his.

I think that little girl was probably already going to "get it" from her mom when they were alone again. If you would do something like that in front of your child I have no doubt there would have been a punishment for it. Maybe you saved that girl from getting it worse by not saying something. Poor child.

This is what I was thinking. I'm sure inside the mother was ashamed that her daughter was the better person, and she was not. That being the case, I wouldnt doubt the daughter would get the blame, rather than the mother admitting her own shortcomings....

I lost $40 at Payless buying my kids back to school shoes a few weeks ago. Nobody was in there but me and my daughters. When I paid and it fell out. I went back in and asked the guy who waited on me who of course said he never saw it. It maked me so sad. I could see if it had been busy, but it was empty. We don't have a lot of extra money but I guess if you need it bad enough to lie over it you need it bad! I was so upset I went to a payphone and called my husband, he reminded me that there are worse things in the world and so I got over it, but I think I will have to visit a different Payless, I'd be annoyed to see him again.

OP, I wish there were more honest people like that little girl and more kind people like you in this world. I know there are many, don't get me wrong, but more would be even better!!!

As a Mom of 3 teenagers, I used to love these teaching moments. And this surely was one of those. For me, its not about the mother that took that money, its about the girl that got the "thanks, you did the right thing" moment:thumbsup2 . So RIGHT ON what you did for this girl. Thats what she'll remember out of this. She knew that it wasn't her money to keep and YOU let her know she did the right thing. Oh, where's a clappy smilie for the OP. Well done.:)

you did the right thing. i wouldnt have made a scene over $10.

i probably would have said to the girl "you did the right thing, continue to do so and youll go far in life".

this reminds me of a story. when i used to manage a grocery store i was walking through the aisles and a mother says to me "can you tell my daughter its ok for her to open this drink, she thinks its stealing" i yurned to the girl and said "you are a very smart girl, you are absolutely right, until youve paid for it, its not yours". well it was 9 years ago, so it was something to that effect.

Poor little girl. I shudder to think what happened to her when her mom got her in private.

You did the right thing, not only in not making a scene, but in giving the child validation that she was right in that situation. I hope your kindness will be what sticks with her when she looks back on this incident some day.

I would have done the exact same thing. Except I would have given the mom a "look" :snooty: as I said it to make sure she realized that I was a better person than she was.

Eeek...what a horrible example to set for your child! That poor little girl. She did the right thing, but w/ a mother like that who knows how long her innocence will last. I swear, people can be so disappointing. I think you reacted the right way. It's just so sad that people would do that - and for just $10! :sad2:

^Agreed with the PP. I'm afraid that mother taught her daughter that integrity is worth about $10. Very sad.

OP, I think you did the right thing.

It's o n l y money... you did good!
The little girls mom... NOT good!
Personally, I would have given the little girl a $20 reward for her effort in trying to do what's right.

I am glad you didn't make a scene, you never know what kind of "discipline" this little girl will get for the perceived notion that she "ratted" out her mother.
I am sure the mother was embarassed, and will most likely take it out on her daughter with either a tongue-lashing or more.

I agree with you. Having grown up under similar circumstances...I know all to well that situation could have ended badly for the little girl.

OP: I think you showed extreme grace. Please don't beat yourself up for not confronting the Mom. I say KUDOS to you! :thumbsup2

You did the right thing. That little girl will remember you for a long time and probably tell her children about it. Hopefully the mom didn't take it out on the daughter.

Wow, what an uncomfortable situation! Like you said, abouty needing $10 that bad! Geez! It would be tempting to say something like "you sure aren't setting a good example for your daughter" but again sounds like you handled it well!

Intersting situation posed by the OP.

Most of y'all seem to think the OP did the right thing, and I agree.

But I'm awondrin' what y'all would have done, had it been a much larger amount of cash. Say, for example, $200.00.

Then would it still be best not to "ruin the kid's vacation at WDW?" and just not say anything?

:wizard: RackNack

wow, how ridiculous. You certainly did the right thing. Especially when you thanked the girl for her honesty. I'm sure that made the mother more embarrassed about stealing a measly $10 from someone. I really can't believe she'd just take the money after her daughter made such a big deal about finding it's rightful owner. Obviously the little girl isn't taking after her mother, and that's a good thing!

Though I would have probably been more immature about the situation and preceded to talk very loudly about how ridiculous it was that someone could need $10 so bad the entire boat ride. Again, great job on keeping your cool.

But I'm awondrin' what y'all would have done, had it been a much larger amount of cash. Say, for example, $200.00.

Then would it still be best not to "ruin the kid's vacation at WDW?" and just not say anything?

I'm sorry to say but if the amount was $200 dollars I would have had to persue the matter further. $200 may very well be my entire Disney spending money.

(although...I'd never take that much cash in with me to a park, nor would I keep in in the "small" pocket of my jeans...:thumbsup2 )

For $200, I would (loudly, in earshot of mom) ask the little girl to tell the same thing to "that security/police officer" over there....But, the principle is that the little girl did the RIGHT thing, and her loser of a mom did the wrong thing. Stealing is stealing. Who is anyone to say that MY money isn't as necessary as someone else's money? I don't make that much, and every single penny counts for me, just like most of us on here. If someone steals from me, they should be accountable for it, no matter the amount.

OP—

I am not afraid of confrontations in the slightest, but I think you did the right thing. Sometimes, a lot more is gained from biting your tongue than not. That little girl is incredibly honest and you showed her another good example (‘cause the parents obviously don’t) of how to handle yourself. I’m with you, if you need $10 that much, you’re welcome to it. There is just so much more that could be involved with this that $10 isn’t worth.

Kudos for no scene and taking the high road. Kudos for validating the little girl.

Not that the $10 would have made me or broke me, but I would have said something to the lady along the lines of, "Hey, your daughter said you found something of mine? I hope it is the cash I had in my pocket. I really had to dig to get that out of all my crevices last week after my last shift stripping before this vacation."

:rotfl2:

I was wondering that myself. I doubt I'd drop that much money, but what if it were a bracelet, necklace, ear ring, etc?

Also, no one seems to fault the father. He could have stepped in and quietly asked OP how much she'd lost. That way he could have set a good example for his daughter without confronting the blank he married.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter