Whatever you do, don't carry a bag to Universal Studios!

pomcoach

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We just got back from 2 days at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The first day, we visited U.S. and I made the mistake of taking a bag with a comb, my ID, really just the normal purse items. I slung it over my shoulder and headed through the Express line to the Mummy. The guy told me I had to get out of line and go put my little purse in a locker. My hubby was told the same thing for his small diddy bag he had on his back like a small backpack. So off to the lockers we go, thinking it will take 5 minutes. Boy, we never dreamed more like 40 minutes.
First you stand in a line of 10 people just to get a locker. Everyone has trouble with the automated screen to get a locker. The line moves VERY slowly. Finally it's our turn and we do the screen thing, open our locker, shove our things in, close it, and go back to stand in the Express line again. The whole "getting a locker" probably took 12 minutes.
After the ride, we need to get our things back out of the locker. This time it was much worse. Again about 8 people in front of us at the line, but it's not working for anyone. No one can get their locker to open back up. We look for someone to help, but there's no one. Finally 15 minutes later, it's our turn to try to open our locker, but ours won't open either, just like everyone else. People are so mad. We find someone to help, but they are busy with many other requests. We walk over to the Mummy guy and he calls someone to help us. That helper shows up 5 minutes later, but is grabbed by another non-English speaker who is terribly frustrated with the locker problems. Finally a helper does something that pops our locker open and several others all pop open all at the same time. We are thrilled to finally get our locker open, but have papers thrust in our face that we must fill out, listing our belongings, our name, address, phone, etc. The helper insists we fill out papers, taking another 5 minutes, or we can't have our belongings. Geesh, putting things in the locker to begin with took 12 minutes. Getting our things back out = 30 minutes for sure. Total of 42 minutes spent just messing with the lockers. Everybody was really mad to have to deal with a locker.
The next day, I stuffed my cell phone and lip gloss into a buttoned pocket on my shorts and wore a lanyard with a clear pocket for my ID, money, and Express Pass. My advice, do anything you have to, to not carry a bag around. You do NOT want to mess with the lockers. They can ruin your day. Go buy special cargo shorts if you have to with lots of pockets, anything, but don't carry a bag.:sad2:

Wow, thats terrible.

My friends and I usually don't have too much of a problem with lockers EXCEPT by the Mummy, they're in the worst area and are way too cramped for one thing.

I never take a bag, I always put everything in cargo shorts when I go to any park, its so much more convenient. I also have a tendency to just leave bags and other things when I sit down somewhere :guilty:

I have never had to take my fanny pack off and put it in a locker and the number of times I have used them I cannot count.

Kimberly

Lucky you. We went last summer (2006) and we had to remove the fanny pack everytime. What a pain. We finally just did like the OP and placed chapstick, money and tylenol in our pockets and bought a lanyard for passes and ID.

Hi,
We just got back from 2 days at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The first day, we visited U.S. and I made the mistake of taking a bag with a comb, my ID, really just the normal purse items. I slung it over my shoulder and headed through the Express line to the Mummy. The guy told me I had to get out of line and go put my little purse in a locker. My hubby was told the same thing for his small diddy bag he had on his back like a small backpack. So off to the lockers we go, thinking it will take 5 minutes. Boy, we never dreamed more like 40 minutes.
First you stand in a line of 10 people just to get a locker. Everyone has trouble with the automated screen to get a locker. The line moves VERY slowly. Finally it's our turn and we do the screen thing, open our locker, shove our things in, close it, and go back to stand in the Express line again. The whole "getting a locker" probably took 12 minutes.
After the ride, we need to get our things back out of the locker. This time it was much worse. Again about 8 people in front of us at the line, but it's not working for anyone. No one can get their locker to open back up. We look for someone to help, but there's no one. Finally 15 minutes later, it's our turn to try to open our locker, but ours won't open either, just like everyone else. People are so mad. We find someone to help, but they are busy with many other requests. We walk over to the Mummy guy and he calls someone to help us. That helper shows up 5 minutes later, but is grabbed by another non-English speaker who is terribly frustrated with the locker problems. Finally a helper does something that pops our locker open and several others all pop open all at the same time. We are thrilled to finally get our locker open, but have papers thrust in our face that we must fill out, listing our belongings, our name, address, phone, etc. The helper insists we fill out papers, taking another 5 minutes, or we can't have our belongings. Geesh, putting things in the locker to begin with took 12 minutes. Getting our things back out = 30 minutes for sure. Total of 42 minutes spent just messing with the lockers. Everybody was really mad to have to deal with a locker.
The next day, I stuffed my cell phone and lip gloss into a buttoned pocket on my shorts and wore a lanyard with a clear pocket for my ID, money, and Express Pass. My advice, do anything you have to, to not carry a bag around. You do NOT want to mess with the lockers. They can ruin your day. Go buy special cargo shorts if you have to with lots of pockets, anything, but don't carry a bag.:sad2:
That's too bad about your experience. The lockers at ROTM are in the worst possible place and there is no room to move around.

My friends and I usually don't have too much of a problem with lockers EXCEPT by the Mummy, they're in the worst area and are way too cramped for one thing.

I never take a bag, I always put everything in cargo shorts when I go to any park, its so much more convenient. I also have a tendency to just leave bags and other things when I sit down somewhere :guilty:
I always wear cargo shorts too...no other way to do it really. I will say...I like the fact that Universal doesn't allow bags on rides. I don't want to ride something and have a camera or something smack me in the mouth. I wish Disney would do this too. I think the number of flash pictures taken in dark rides would dramatically decrease...but that's their battle to wage.

I think the coats at Universal are aware of the problems with the lockers there at ROTM. I sit at the bar at Finnegan's every trip, six to eight trips per year, waiting for DH -- I keep our backpack on the back of the barstool -- and watching total chaos over at those lockers. The bartenders (the same guys have worked there for years) watch, too. It's addictive.

I often wonder if it's a joke and we're going to see these people on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I mean, they won't let you on the ride until you get a locker to work for you -- in this itty-bitty space, with 50 people trying to get a locker to work for them. You've got kids getting antsy, parents exhausted and a locker that won't open. Multiply that by 50 every few minutes. It's like watching a car wreck over and over and over and over.

I think that's why they brought the stilt walkers over there. It's a cheaper alternative than just fixing the lockers and expanding the area.

While a royal pia to secure a locker, i'll go out on a limb here & suggest the reasoning behind said edict is an insurance/liability issue designed more to keep other guests safe from flying personal effects than the normal warnings they post to guests as to secure items on all rides.:confused3

Haven't had any problem w/small fanny pack/wallet on string (tuck it under t-shirt, etc.); unless they can't bring down the lapbars not sure how'd they'd know you're wearing one anyway if it's not overly expansive.:confused:

sorry to hear about that

for our trip I kept my bag with DHs parents on their wheelchair, but DH tried to bring his camcorder on!!!!!
BIG MISTAKE!!!
they told him to put it in a locker & DH was being a punk & shoved it down his pants....i wanted to KILL DH!!!!lol

well...we went on & luckily the camcorder didnt break!!

they need to rethink their system?!?!?!:confused3

what a gorgeous picture !

I learned that too last trip....this year i bought us matching "safari" type vests. Dozens of pockets of every size !

I have never had to take my fanny pack off and put it in a locker and the number of times I have used them I cannot count.

Kimberly

:thumbsup2

I have been wearing a fanny pack for years there and have never been asked to put it in the lockers. At mummy, they just remind me to turn it sideways.

yes the lockers are a pain... at all the attractions requiring lockers. it is for the safety of you and others, but also to keep up with the efficiency. if we have people wanting to store bags in the seats, or asking if they can leave them on the platform, it slows down the dispatches. get them in the seat, get them out.

the coasters i can understand, but at MIB, lockers are required as well. one, if you drop something, and the car runs over it, it could cause downtimes and such. also, you cant store it on the platform because you get on and off in different areas. (same with dragons and mummy). that would mean that an attendant would have to hold your stuff, and give it back to you, and remember what you looked like, as well as check the train and send it.

I will take disneys approach and let you carry things on rides rather than waste valuable/expensive park time playing around with lockers.
I'll take the risk of being hit with a small object over wasting my time over a extremely small risk.

The risk is much bigger on a ride like Hulk/DD where the ride does inversions, but it very mininal on a ride like ROTM which does have those effects.

I will take disneys approach and let you carry things on rides rather than waste valuable/expensive park time playing around with lockers.
I'll take the risk of being hit with a small object over wasting my time over a extremely small risk.

The risk is much bigger on a ride like Hulk/DD where the ride does inversions, but it very mininal on a ride like ROTM which does have those effects.

So, you're willing to be hit with an object on a ride that maxes out at 55mph?

All of this is for safety folks, yours, others, the objects and the rides. :confused3

I don't plan on taking any risks with my safety on rides at either Disney or Universal where loose objects are concerned...especially when Disney allows you take stuff on rides that could become flying objects. I agree that rides like the Haunted Mansion and the kiddie rides would be a low risk but any of the other "adult" rides do have the potential of injury if you are hit with something. It doesn't really matter if the object is small if the ride is going at a good speed. Space Mountain isn't that fast for a rollercoaster but if you get hit in the face with a "small object", you better believe it's gonna hurt and then the next thing we'll see is a guest suing Disney for personal injury.

yes the lockers are a pain... at all the attractions requiring lockers. it is for the safety of you and others, but also to keep up with the efficiency. if we have people wanting to store bags in the seats, or asking if they can leave them on the platform, it slows down the dispatches. get them in the seat, get them out.
I'm with you there Timmy and I for one am glad Universal is strict about not allowing guests to carry on bags. All it's gonna take is a few incidents at Disney for them to change their policy and then you'll see lockers over there too.

We first visited Disney and rode Space Mountain with our little girl who was 8 yrs. old. She had a huge beautiful red clip-on bow in her hair. It flew out on Space Mountain and we never saw it again. We asked the cast member and he said that every night the floor is full of things like sunglasses, hair bows, etc. He never mentioned bags. Our "little" girl is 27 now and a Doctor, so that first trip to Disney was 19 yrs. ago, and I imagine the floors are still littered with many lost articles. So if it's been going on for 19 yrs., I doubt Disney will be getting lockers.
Most people who take a purse or bag, hook it over their arm or leg. Things in that bag are precious and very needed to continue the vacation (cash, tickets, credit card.) I put my leg through the shoulder strap and the strap hangs on my thigh. That way I know it will never fly out. The worst it could do was hit under my own thighs. Even on Tower of Terror, which I've rode probably 50 times, things go airborne and I've never seen anyone complain. Most are laughing about it. I've even seen some kids hold pennies in their hands and watch them float up and down.
The lockers are a huge waste of people's time. They don't work right. They're frustrating. And they will stop people from buying items in the shops because of not wanting to carry items and having to use the lockers again. The Theme parks need to think about enjoyment. They need to install netting bags to stuff your things into to keep things safe, but doesn't slow down the enjoyment factor.
JMO guys. But I won't be visiting Universal with any bags in tow anymore. And my bag this time was a little black fanny pack. It's either Cargo shorts or the wonderful idea of the Safari vests with pockets, or I'll just go to Disney where I don't have to worry about the lockers. :sad2:

The lockers are a huge waste of people's time. They don't work right. They're frustrating. And they will stop people from buying items in the shops because of not wanting to carry items and having to use the lockers again. The Theme parks need to think about enjoyment. They need to install netting bags to stuff your things into to keep things safe, but doesn't slow down the enjoyment factor.

I tend to visit rides first and then as I am ready to leave the park I buy what I want on the way out or on the last day I will do all my shopping. Netting is great, but think of the number of times we read on these boards how upset people are when they realize they left their expensive camera or bag of souvies in the netting after they left the ride- only to never get it back? That too can slow the enjoyment factor of an entire trip.....not just add a few minutes of frustration. I think riding now and shopping last is the best solution.

I see where you all are coming from. Rides like Big Thunder and Splash I can see Disney getting away with it. Just like Ripsaw Falls allows you to take bags. But they even allows large backpacks on Rock N Roller Coaster, where the guests just tucks it under their feet. I think that's a little extreme.

Where can you store a backpack on Dragons? You can't wear it, because it may not let the harness close properly. And there's no floor to store it. Same with Mummy, those cars are crampt enough. Think if you were just getting launched on Mummy, and a backpack slipped out, and landed on track under you. You car travels along, and colides with that bag. It would run it over, screw up the underside of the car, and probably de-rail the car.

I know it's a slim chance of it happening, but all it takes for one person to complain about getting hit in the face.

We first visited Disney and rode Space Mountain with our little girl who was 8 yrs. old. She had a huge beautiful red clip-on bow in her hair. It flew out on Space Mountain and we never saw it again. We asked the cast member and he said that every night the floor is full of things like sunglasses, hair bows, etc. He never mentioned bags. Our "little" girl is 27 now and a Doctor, so that first trip to Disney was 19 yrs. ago, and I imagine the floors are still littered with many lost articles. So if it's been going on for 19 yrs., I doubt Disney will be getting lockers.
Most people who take a purse or bag, hook it over their arm or leg. Things in that bag are precious and very needed to continue the vacation (cash, tickets, credit card.) I put my leg through the shoulder strap and the strap hangs on my thigh. That way I know it will never fly out. The worst it could do was hit under my own thighs. Even on Tower of Terror, which I've rode probably 50 times, things go airborne and I've never seen anyone complain. Most are laughing about it. I've even seen some kids hold pennies in their hands and watch them float up and down.
JMO guys. But I won't be visiting Universal with any bags in tow anymore. And my bag this time was a little black fanny pack. It's either Cargo shorts or the wonderful idea of the Safari vests with pockets, or I'll just go to Disney where I don't have to worry about the lockers. :sad2:
I think the ToT is different since it's up and down..no one can have something fly in their face. MIB used to have netting in the front of the vehicles but changed the policy...I don't know why. Maybe someone jumped out and tried to grab something of theirs that fell out. Not unlike people trying to jump off the tram at Disney to do the same thing.

Lockers are not a huge waste of time but I agree they can be frustrating with the lines and not all work on the first try. I think the parks ARE trying to think about people's enjoyment as well as their safety. I certainly don't want to spend time in a medical office because someone's hair clip, brush, visor or sunglasses hit me in the face and I doubt you would enjoy it much either.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to shop first and carry stuff around with them all day...that doesn't make sense to me. :confused3

The cargo shorts/vests is a good idea...I always wear cargo shorts so I don't have a bag. If you want to skip Universal and hang out at Disney, no one on this board can tell you otherwise but hopefully a lesson was learned by this experience. Any of the Universal homies on this board could have told you ahead of time that bags were not allowed on most of the rides at Universal.

The bottom line is a guest's safety and I think Universal is doing a great job in helping to reduce the risk by having people stow their bags.

I'm sure Disney knows about the issues of flying objects and they do what they can to help reduce the risk...I just think lockers would make more sense.

The lockers can be a nightmare, yes. But it's nothing you can't get around with planning ahead. Anyone on these boards already has a major advantage in having the best experience possible at the parks.

Last week I bought that new Grinch tee that says WICKED on it (have you seen it?), but very quickly stuffed it down my pants before getting on Mummy. :laughing: It is what it is.

just a quick little insight on dangers of "flying" objects on rides ........anyone remember when "fabio" was on that roller coaster & a bird flew into his face....BROKE his nose!!!

imagine if its someone camera or sharp object!!! wanna lose an eye !?!?!

yeah...i dont like the locker system...six flags had a "cubby hole' system for stuff like that...but there are always pros & cons to systems like that.

i honestly think the parks are just trying to keep everyone safe...so you think they want us to be annoyed...honestly??:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter