Whatever you do, don't carry a bag to Universal Studios!

Hi there

I'm so glad I read this thread, especially as I'm terrible for carrying way too much stuff wherever I go!!! Normally my Mum sits out the 'proper thrill' rides (i.e. the Mummy)... but some of them she will go on (i.e. MIB)... anyway, she often takes care of our bags but I know that's not going to work all of the time.

I just told my hubby about this and he agreed when we travel to Universal we will travel very light and only take essentials that can fit in zipped up pockets etc.

Mind you, if the main locker problems are at the Mummy, we know Mum will hold the bags for us while we ride!!!

Can anyone please tell me which rides this affects at Universal Studios and IOA???

Many thanks
Julie x

Can anyone please tell me which rides this affects at Universal Studios and IOA???
There are lockers at Dueling Dragons, Hulk, MIB and ROTM. I can't think of any others right off that having a bag would affect anything.

DS lost his glasses on The Mummy. It was awful because we didn't have another pair with us (our mistake) and we had to find a glasses shop who agreed to call our Optometrist and get the perscription. Accolades to Eyemasters!

Lesson learned, carry extra glasses. I now put DS' glasses in my pocket and keep a hand on my pocket as a backup. The Mummy does get wild!

Agree USO is a pain with ANY kind of bag. For that alone I always go there with the bare necessities and stuff whatever I need in my pockets. Between DH and I we just walk in with no bags. And if we buy anything, it's only as we are leaving.
Even in MIB (over the first HHN weekend) one of us was stopped with a fanny pack to have to place it in a locker. (We just passed on the ride that night.)
When the Mummy first opened we must have spent 10 - 15 minutes trying to get back into our locker. We really were at the point of giving up when we gave it one more try and were lucky enough to get in.
The Mummy really does not have any place to put in a carry on or bag of any type.

Reactions: CJN
just a quick little insight on dangers of "flying" objects on rides ........anyone remember when "fabio" was on that roller coaster & a bird flew into his face....BROKE his nose!!!

imagine if its someone camera or sharp object!!! wanna lose an eye !?!?!

yeah...i dont like the locker system...six flags had a "cubby hole' system for stuff like that...but there are always pros & cons to systems like that.

i honestly think the parks are just trying to keep everyone safe...so you think they want us to be annoyed...honestly??:confused3
I was at cedar point last year and had sunglasses on as we boarded top thrill dragster. I took my sunglasses and gripped the in my hand like I did on every ride. The kid working told me to shove them down my shirt. I asked him to just throw them in a box and he said no, shove them down your shirt. I did, and sure enough, over the hill and they flew out. The poor guy behind me said they buzzed the side of his head. He had a slight scrape by his cheek. I can't imagine if they had hit his eye!! That ride goes 120mph!! I apologized, but he heard the kid force me to put them in my shirt, so he kept saying it wasn't my fault. I just wish as we pulled out of the station I would have just put them in my hand again.

I was at cedar point last year and had sunglasses on as we boarded top thrill dragster. I took my sunglasses and gripped the in my hand like I did on every ride. The kid working told me to shove them down my shirt. I asked him to just throw them in a box and he said no, shove them down your shirt. I did, and sure enough, over the hill and they flew out. The poor guy behind me said they buzzed the side of his head. He had a slight scrape by his cheek. I can't imagine if they had hit his eye!! That ride goes 120mph!! I apologized, but he heard the kid force me to put them in my shirt, so he kept saying it wasn't my fault. I just wish as we pulled out of the station I would have just put them in my hand again.

lol, this thread was from 2008!

i always find it funny that they are insistent that cross body purses go in a locker, but lanyards are ok. To me they are more likely to fall off and can still do damage if they hit someone in an eye.

I'm just glad they provide lockers. At Hersheypark there is a ride you can't bring bags onto. They have a set of cubby holes outside of the entrance where you are supposed to stash your bag. Anyone can walk up and swipe your things. And the ride is quite pedestrian -- equivalent to Buzz Lightyear at MK. It makes no sense to me.

i'm glad no one pulled up one of the zombie threads that i was on........
when i saw it, i thought, huh.......and it was 9 years old..

I'm just glad they provide lockers. At Hersheypark there is a ride you can't bring bags onto. They have a set of cubby holes outside of the entrance where you are supposed to stash your bag. Anyone can walk up and swipe your things. And the ride is quite pedestrian -- equivalent to Buzz Lightyear at MK. It makes no sense to me.

At my home park (Kings Island) there are 2 rides where loose articles aren't permitted and you HAVE to get a locker or have someone watch your bags for you...the thing is, unlike US, lockers aren't free. $2 minimum. Also, those 2 rides are nowhere near each other, so if you have a bag with you and want to ride these 2 rides (which are 2 of their most popular roller coasters, Banshee and Firehawk), you need to fork over at least 4 bucks. Not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. Aditionally, they have the nerve to offer souvenir cups with free refills, but of course you'd need to rent a locker if you wanted to ride those 2 rides and keep your souvenir cup, thus pretty much eliminating the point of getting one lol.

Regarding bags at US, I never had a problem with any of the lockers there, but my wife didn't ride Mummy so I can't comment on that situation. Has it improved at all since 2008 when this thread was originally created?

Anybody tried to take on a fanny pack recently? With the addition of all the metal detectors that is. I don't carry a lot (Phone, Money, ID, Room key) etc. but I do have to carry a prescription (must be take 3x a day at certain times) I don't mind to put them in a locker but it just takes time. Thanks!

At my home park (Kings Island) there are 2 rides where loose articles aren't permitted and you HAVE to get a locker or have someone watch your bags for you...the thing is, unlike US, lockers aren't free. $2 minimum. Also, those 2 rides are nowhere near each other, so if you have a bag with you and want to ride these 2 rides (which are 2 of their most popular roller coasters, Banshee and Firehawk), you need to fork over at least 4 bucks. Not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. Aditionally, they have the nerve to offer souvenir cups with free refills, but of course you'd need to rent a locker if you wanted to ride those 2 rides and keep your souvenir cup, thus pretty much eliminating the point of getting one lol.

Regarding bags at US, I never had a problem with any of the lockers there, but my wife didn't ride Mummy so I can't comment on that situation. Has it improved at all since 2008 when this thread was originally created?

Kings Island is my home park too!!! I have said this for years!!! If your going to force us to but our things in lockers, at least make the first hour or two free!! Every time I do a survey for then I mention this maybe one day I'll get through to them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter