Whatever you do, don't carry a bag to Universal Studios!

Question: How do they know if you have something in your pockets? Do they pat you down? Do they just eyeball you? I know that you walk through a metal detector.

My point is, if I have something that is not metal and is under my clothes/not visible, will they even know I have it?

You walk through a metal detector, there are usually people with a couple wands as well. They are good at "eyeballing" you as well, and you are repeatedly informed of the free lockers to make use of so that you do not lose anything, mess up the ride, and most importantly, injure anyone.

My point is, most parks enforce lockers AND make you pay for them. Universal is nice enough to give everyone a free locker, to avoid any incidents. Please use them, they are not such a big deal that's it's worth the chance of something happening. If it's such a big deal to have to use the lockers, have someone else hold your items while you ride, don't bring it with you, or don't ride.

Was there last week, and while the crowds were not heavy, the cluster at the lockers (particularly for WWOHP rides) was ridiculous. We found them much more manageable late in the evenings, but even then it felt like walking into Wal-Mart. Groups of 10 standing in a huddle while one person takes five minutes to figure out how to access the locker and put stuff in it, multiple people not understanding how to retrieve their items / forgetting their locker number, shoving, cutting line, etc.

There HAS to be a better way for Universal to manage stowing items.

They should just allow one or two members of a group or family enter the locker area. Especially at the Harry Potter rides. Those areas are especially cramped, yet it seems entire families feel the need to enter just to stow one bag.

The locker areas at The Mummy and others are more spacious, but there's still no need for 10 people to gather around to watch one member open the locker.

I can only speak from when we went back in 2012 but we had no issues using the lockers and plan on utilizing them when we go back in June. I probably could fit everything in lanyards and cargo shorts, but for us we wouldn't be comfortable risking our cellphones/wallets/etc just to save a couple of minutes. My wife is taking a small over the back Vera Bradley bag to keep stuff like water (it has two mesh side pockets), snacks, medicine, hand sanitizer and sunscreen in. I'm actually quite impressed by the amount of people here who can go though the parks without some type of bag.

I'm actually quite impressed by the amount of people here who can go though the parks without some type of bag.

Most days I have my Kipling multiple. Mainly for camera and a small sun cream. We all have lanyards for room key, park tickets and EP.

We stay onsite at RPR so don't need to carry anything except that. Hotel is a 5-10 minute walk away. We don't carry snacks or water............we buy what we need, drink or eat it and move on. I won't carry stuff we don't need to.

So for us it's easy not to need any kind of bag at all.

No bags for me, I have a wife to hold it.

Congratulations:). Jk MrsBluer is 'da best, cya guys soon.

Missed the resurrection of this moldie, oldie thread when I was away in May.

Ps I caved and bought a 'designer' fanny pack...talk about a contradiction in terms, oh, the shame. After last go-around lurking for half hour to snag a locker @ Gringotts decided I was done. DH can only shove so much junk in his cargo short pockets.

Want to make sure I'm reading this right- if you are wearing a small fanny pack, you don't have to use a locker? I definitely need a place for my phone and inhaler, but I have a lanyard so that's about it. I don't have any cargo pants/shorts.

Want to make sure I'm reading this right- if you are wearing a small fanny pack, you don't have to use a locker? I definitely need a place for my phone and inhaler, but I have a lanyard so that's about it. I don't have any cargo pants/shorts.

On some rides even fanny packs are not allowed and phones are an absolute no go as you walk through a metal detector.

We just returned from a Universal visit and at any place where bags were not allowed the lockers were free. For an inhaler do you have a belt clip or lanyard holder you could keep it in then just show them it is your inhaler? I imagine if your fanny pack was over your shirt they would ask you to put it in the locker.

On some rides even fanny packs are not allowed and phones are an absolute no go as you walk through a metal detector.

We just returned from a Universal visit and at any place where bags were not allowed the lockers were free. For an inhaler do you have a belt clip or lanyard holder you could keep it in then just show them it is your inhaler? I imagine if your fanny pack was over your shirt they would ask you to put it in the locker.

Thank you! How many rides have the metal detectors/no bags of any kind rule? Trying to decide if I should just bring a regular bag and use the lockers for everything, or if it would save time to only have to use the lockers on the rides where it's required.

Nevermind- just read another thread and was reminded that we will likely have a wand with us the whole time, so I guess I'll have to end up using the lockers anyway! Oh well, hopefully the lines won't be too long :).

Are there any rides at Disney you can't take bags on? I think we always just have a small bag we keep with us at all times when at Disney.
Is this a new thing? It's been a few years but I don't remember not getting on a ride with a small bag.
I can't even keep my phone in a pocket? You go through metal detectors to get on a ride?
I'm good with using the lockers for large bags but I guess I don't understand not having my phone in a pocket.
I am not trying to be challenging, I just really didn't know this was a thing.
What is the purpose? If it is for for safety, why doesn't Disney do it?

Nevermind- just read another thread and was reminded that we will likely have a wand with us the whole time, so I guess I'll have to end up using the lockers anyway! Oh well, hopefully the lines won't be too long :).

The lines were too long when I was there but of course I always made an effort not to go to the very first bank of lockers. It always seemed to be the bank closest to the entrance of the ride that got super crowded. As someone else suggested there really should be a Team member only letting 1 person from each party into the locker area. It would cut the lines down significantly.

Are there any rides at Disney you can't take bags on? I think we always just have a small bag we keep with us at all times when at Disney.
Is this a new thing? It's been a few years but I don't remember not getting on a ride with a small bag.
I can't even keep my phone in a pocket? You go through metal detectors to get on a ride?
I'm good with using the lockers for large bags but I guess I don't understand not having my phone in a pocket.
I am not trying to be challenging, I just really didn't know this was a thing.
What is the purpose? If it is for for safety, why doesn't Disney do it?

Disney allows bags on all rides. The big difference is the types of roller coasters and the restraints. There is no where designed to put a bag on things like Hulk, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, Mummy, MIB, etc so when the vehicle twist, turns, goes upside down, or whatever your bag would fly off. Disney has the pouches that contain everything.

The metal dector rides are due to safety. Hulk is because at the speed it goes a loose penny could seriously injure if not kill someone walking below the ride if it was to come out of the pocket. Dragon Challenge is because some actually did get seriously injured due to someone else's coins. It is the same reason the no longer duel.

The metal dector rides are due to safety. Hulk is because at the speed it goes a loose penny could seriously injure if not kill someone walking below the ride if it was to come out of the pocket. Dragon Challenge is because some actually did get seriously injured due to someone else's coins. It is the same reason the no longer duel.
I never knew this. So what can be taken on these rides?

The metal detector ones a lanyard I think. Besides that nothing. I believe if the lanyard has pins it has to go in the locker. We took out tickets and put them in our back pocket.

Yep, lanyards only on RRR, Hulk and Dragon Challenge.........

If you have anything in your pockets or person that can become a projectile you will have to remove it. We saw someone try argue they need their phone with them on RRR today :confused3......they were sent back.......there are signs at the rides that enforce this, so everyone should know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter