What's so bad about BLT Standard Ground Floor Units?

PetePanMan

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone

We are booked in BLT 1 bedroom standard for late April / early May. Based on various posts it seems like most people don't like ground floor units for things like lack of privacy. Is ground floor really that bad eg is there that much traffic in front? Are there not any advantages?

thx for comments

An advantage is never waiting for an elevator for walking to MK, the car, bus stop.

We really don't like the first floor where we were (inside of the U) with no sheers. We had the shade pulled almost all of the time - no natural light.

But, we're trying a standard again in June. Just hoping we dont get the first floor.

Most want BLT for the views and close proximity to the MK. Without the view, you are just staying at a resort close to the MK.

:earsboy: Bill

As of 2013, there are several SV units, which were previously classified as theme park views.
Third and fourth floor facing the front. Many felt this was a parking lot view. For far fewer points, they are worth hoping for.

There are many people that don't like ground floor units at any resort. The lack of sheers is a problem for many of the rooms at BLT IMO as I discovered during my first stay at BLT. That was in an MK view studio that was a floor lower than the bridge to the CR but right next to it. More than once people I "caught" people looking in to my room but my choice was to shut the curtains and have no daylight or to leave them open and wave. :rolleyes2 Just another bad design choice at BLT - or more likely a cost saving elimination.

However - if booking a Standard studio I wouldn't be too concerned if I ended up in a ground floor. I actually think I'd have less people looking into the room than I did in that MK view studio which I'd bet is now one that has been reclassified to standard view.

While it's not my first choice, I recently had a 1st floor Std view studio facing the Bocce courts. It was ok, but I wouldn't want it very often. It really wasn't the privacy issue for me as much as the fact that there is no view.

I just am not a fan of first floor at all and the past few years we have head a younger child and just felt better being up.

There was a report last year of a mouse in the room. After I read that I decided no standards for me.

We stayed there in Aug. on the ground floor facing the marina. The pipped in music was loud. The music from the parade on the lake was obscenely loud. I wouldn't do it again.

thanks for all feedback. I thought there might be a few more positives eg going for walks / pool while others in chill'n in room etc.

Our first 2 stays at BLT were standard view. The first time we were on the first floor on the outside facing the marina/lake. I was disappointed when they told me at check-in but once we were there, my feelings changed! It was so nice to walk out from the patio to the drink station at the pool or wherever (if someone was staying in the room to keep the patio door unlocked). It seemed we had our own little yard off the patio so the kids played while we sat and read or relaxed. It was also nice to not deal with elevators at all. Privacy and noise weren't an issue for us at all. We really enjoyed being on the first floor! Our 2nd trip we got the same location but on the 2nd floor. We missed the first floor convenience from the previous trip. We definitely had gotten used to not needing elevators so they seemed to take extra long this trip :)

There was a report last year of a mouse in the room. After I read that I decided no standards for me.

We had a mouse. Not last year but the year prior. Never again on ground floor if we can help it. This year it's a LV 2-BR so I think GF should be a non-issue. So...less walking, but less privacy and more vermin.:confused3

We had a standard 1BR for our honeymoon last January. We were ground floor and faced the CR and marina at the end of the U. There were only one or two rooms after us. I was very nervous after finding out we were on the ground floor. I actually loved the view and we were able to step just off our patio and watch the Electric Water Pageant every night. I know we got lucky with that view though.

First thing you have to understand is some people are impossible to please, and not everyone they see looking in their direction is looking at them. I guess it's just vanity or something.

OP, if you went to Disney and saw a mouse isn't that they way it's supposed to be:confused3:rotfl2:

For those of you who stayed on the ground floor further out, near the lake, was it a far walk to the skyway or walkway (to contemporary)? I have a standard 1BR coming up and was going to request "close to elevator" if I could. But now I'm not sure. I have a 4 yr old who I'm sure will want to be carried by the end of the day. But I'm coming in on a Thursday in late April and may not have much of a choice of what's open unless I want to move rooms Friday (which I don't).

Question: why aren't there sheers? At least for the lower floors?

Love ground floor standard at blt. Especially the ones facing the marina. I try hard to get one when i book standard.

seems like most posts dislike groundfloor for standards - what do people normally request then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter