What's your favorite restaurant off Aulani but on Oahu?

We loved Roys. It was our first time there, and the meal and service were phenomenal. Talk to me, macadamia nut tart!

It's going to be hard not to drive straight to Aulani when we land at HNL next trip but DW and DDs always insist we go to Uncle Clay's HOPA as soon as we get our rental car. Other Oahu favorites are:

Marukame Udon on Kuhio St. in Waikiki (its usually packed!)
Boots & Kimos in Kailua for Breakfast
and of coarse Rainbow Drive-in and Leonards Bakery

I'm at the end of my trip but some of the places we really liked:

1) Nue - It's the Italian Fare Restaurant at Four Seasons next door. When we changed plans away from trying a Steakhouse - we were really happy we decided to go with this!
2) Alan Wong's - Some of the best food I've ever had. My husband loved his food as well as they are super accommodating for vegetarians.
3) Cajun King - This is an absolute hole in the wall in the middle of Korean Town. We ended up stopping there after Pearl Harbor as we were really hungry. I found it on my phone just searching for restaurant options that where on the cheaper end. Their speciality is their different seafoods with differing seasonings. If you get crab legs - they will be served to you in a bag and you just leave your shells on the table. My husband was happy with the veggies as well. Totally a local worker's type place but I'm glad we gave it a shot! We were the only tourists in there.
4) Kona Brewing Company

We haven't had a bad meal at all this trip though. I'm working on my overall reviews and trip report - already have the first 3 parts up but I do have a lot more to come in the next month or so! Link is in my signature.

1) Nue - It's the Italian Fare Restaurant at Four Seasons next door. When we changed plans away from trying a Steakhouse - we were really happy we decided to go with this!

Was there a dress code here? Just wondering if jeans and a polo for men would be acceptable.

I second Marukame Udon in Waikiki. Best udon outside Japan. Long lines but they move fast.

As we prepare for our October 2016 trip I am so blessed and thankful to read all of your helpful information! I am starting to keep a notebook with sections for each category of brilliance I learn. I am interested in your favorite restaurants off Aulani property- anywhere on Oahu, fast food, snacks or sit down, fancy or hole in the wall that locals love! It's our first trip to Hawaii and while we can cook in our 2br unit, we also want to experience Hawaii!! I have my hubby and 2 sons - an adventurous (food wise) 17 yr old and a 12 yr old who will eat new things as long as they aren't too out there!! Thank you all so much!!

Thanks for posting such a great question!! We sound similar in our planning. I have notebooks full of notes that I started back when we made our reservations last August ;). This will be our first trip to Aulani also. We're going in October. Maybe we'll be there at the same time. We'll be there the last week of October. Are your sons going to be doing Aunty's or Painted Sky? My middle daughter turns 12 on the day we arrive, but I have her signed up for Aunty's with my youngest daughter (8), but she hoping to not be the only 12 year old in there. She's also nervous about going to the tween activities alone. My oldest daughter(13) will be going to Painted Sky with a friend's son(13) who are traveling with us. Just curious if your children are going to do any of the programs.

I agree with twodogs about Roy's. It is at the golf club, right in Ko'Olina, and you can take the shuttle there, or walk. The dinner was superb. I had a combination from the prix fixe menu one night and a special kind of fish--sort of buttery--another night. The chocolate soufflé takes half an hour to prepare, so you have to order it early, but it is wonderful. The service is outstanding. One of the gift shops at Aulani carries the cookbook by the chef at Roy's. I have heard a rumor that Roy's may be closing, due to being bought out by developers. I hope this is not true.

I like Duke's, but Duke's is just not a great restaurant. It is "nice". The House Without a Key and Orchids at Halekulani run circles around it. Even Hula Grill in the same building from the same company, TS Restaurants is better.

Read this thread from TripAdvisor. It is the single greatest collection of advice ever.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k4429123-Amberloo_and_food-Oahu_Hawaii.html

If you want good sushi there is a lot in Honolulu, like Imanas Tei, Sushi Sasabune, Sushi Izakaya Gaku, Yohei Sushi Restaurant, Yanagi Sushi and Sushi ii.

For old Hawaiian I love Helena's Hawaiian Food and Haili's Hawaiian Food, plate lunch at Young's or Yama's Fish Market, saimin at Palace Saimin, manapua from Libby Manapua Shop or Char Hung Sut.

We really liked Monkeypod which is basically across the street from Aulani. We liked it so much the first time, we walked over and ate there again another day. Happy hour lasts from 3:30 to 5:30, so if you do an early dinner there around 5:00 p.m. (which with the time change worked out great for us on the first day of our trip), you can catch happy hour and avoid a wait for a table.

I'm going to third Assagio's...we used to eat there a lot when we lived in Ewa. There was also a little place called the Poke Stop in Ewa Beach... I'm not sure if it's still there, though. The owner used to work for Emeril Lagasse. I don't think the sushi place in Kapolei was there when we lived there, but we used to love Sansei in the Marriott Waikiki (DK Steakhouse is also there and is phenomenal).

My personal must-do's every time we're on Oahu are Macky's shrimp truck on the North Shore and Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin in Waikiki (I always get one that comes with the mortar and pestle to grind you own sesame seeds for the sauce). I also really like the food court at Shirokiya (Japanese department store) in Ala Moana Mall. I really like Japanese food, so Waikiki is Tokyo by the beach for me.

I'll third Marukame Udon - delicious and inexpensive, and second Goofy's - we stumbled on it for breakfast not long after it had first opened. It has a very laid back Hawaiian vibe and reminded me of being on Big Island or Kauai, in the hustle and bustle that is Waikiki.

Another vote for Duke's. Right in the middle of the action. And if you don't go for a meal, you must go for the Hula Pie. It is a Must do on our list whenever we visit Hawaii. Yum.

Boots and Kimo's in Kaulua and the Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe. Worth the drive!!! Thee are also some good restaurants inside Ala Moana, but I cant remember the names because we moved away years ago. On a separate note, Ala Moana has a Disney store with awesome sales!

I'm going to third Assagio's...we used to eat there a lot when we lived in Ewa. There was also a little place called the Poke Stop in Ewa Beach... I'm not sure if it's still there, though. The owner used to work for Emeril Lagasse. I don't think the sushi place in Kapolei was there when we lived there, but we used to love Sansei in the Marriott Waikiki (DK Steakhouse is also there and is phenomenal).

Is Sansei the conveyor belt sushi place in the Waikiki Marriott? We lived in Kailua 20 years ago, and liked that place too!

Next summer - 4 weeks at Ko Olina for me! Also starting to condo shop, so I can move back in 10 years or so hopefully for good!

Is Sansei the conveyor belt sushi place in the Waikiki Marriott? We lived in Kailua 20 years ago, and liked that place too!

Not unless they changed it drasticly in the last 10 years :-) It was definitely a full-service bar and restaurant. It's the other DK Kodama restaurant in that hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter