Where to stay in/around San Diego

donkthemagicllama

Mouseketeer
We're planning a trip for late October and plan to spend 4 days in and around San Diego, then 8 days at Disneyland. We'll probably stay at GCH in Disneyland, but we're not sure where to stay in San Diego. We stayed at Hotel Del Coronado a couple years ago, and absolutely loved it. Our trips are the thing we splurge on, so we're looking for some place unique. We'd stay at Coronado again if it's the best option, but we love checking out different hotels/resorts.

We're travelling with a 3 year old and a 9 month old, and a balcony is a must (makes bed-time easier). We plan to go to Legoland and Seaworld while we're there, but we'll have a car so getting around won't be that big of a deal.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

When we're planning a trip with a bunch of theme parks, we actually change our hotels with every park. So I would recommend staying at the hotel right at Legoland the night(s) before you go, and a hotel next to Seaworld the night before you go there. It's a bit of a pain moving between hotels, but the convenience the following morning of waking up exactly where you need to be is worth it to us.

We're planning a trip for late October and plan to spend 4 days in and around San Diego, then 8 days at Disneyland. We'll probably stay at GCH in Disneyland, but we're not sure where to stay in San Diego. We stayed at Hotel Del Coronado a couple years ago, and absolutely loved it. Our trips are the thing we splurge on, so we're looking for some place unique. We'd stay at Coronado again if it's the best option, but we love checking out different hotels/resorts.

We're travelling with a 3 year old and a 9 month old, and a balcony is a must (makes bed-time easier). We plan to go to Legoland and Seaworld while we're there, but we'll have a car so getting around won't be that big of a deal.

Here's a unique option:
http://www.paradisepoint.com/

We did a similar trip a few years ago. We go to San Diego frequently and have stayed at many different places but none of them (especially with kids!) is going to beat the Hotel Del. IMO, Coronado is the best beach in the area. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :) There is a Park Hyatt (formerly Four Seasons) in the Carlsbad area that is amazing, but it's not right on the beach like the Del.

We made Legoland a stop on the way from San Diego to Anaheim - left San Diego early a.m., spent the day at Legoland and then drove up to Anaheim in the mid-late afternoon (this worked well for nap time!). I will mention we did it on a Sunday, so we didn't have to worry about rush hour traffic.

Ugh! Two thumbs down!

My nephew got married there a year and a half ago. Beautiful place for a wedding, and the resort facilities were very nice. But the rooms -- Ugh! Because of poor TripAdvisor reviews, DW & I stayed elsewhere. But most of the family stayed at Paradise Point. They uniformly hated it. The "cottages" are old (WWII vintage) and very moldy. I couldn't visit in my in-laws room for more than 15 minutes before becoming allergic to the mold. My MIL and FIL spent all their free time at our room, at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station (very nice, BTW), because they couldn't stand to be in their room.

-Bob

The Dobies stayed at the Westin in the Gaslamp district a few years ago. We stayed for free with Starwood Points, but we would have liked it anyway.

There is a small outdoor pool, and a great big shaded patio with huge couches for relaxing. The room was a bit small, but it suited the 3 of us. We didn't have a car, and it was very convenient to public transportion.

Ugh! Two thumbs down!

My nephew got married there a year and a half ago. Beautiful place for a wedding, and the resort facilities were very nice. But the rooms -- Ugh! Because of poor TripAdvisor reviews, DW & I stayed elsewhere. But most of the family stayed at Paradise Point. They uniformly hated it. The "cottages" are old (WWII vintage) and very moldy. I couldn't visit in my in-laws room for more than 15 minutes before becoming allergic to the mold. My MIL and FIL spent all their free time at our room, at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station (very nice, BTW), because they couldn't stand to be in their room.

-Bob

Ugh, well that's no fun!:( Speaking only from our experience at the resort, we liked it and really didn't have any issues with our room. So glad too, I would've hated having to dish out the money for a moldy room!:eek:

ETA: Forget about this hotel. I've never stayed here, but have always heard good things...
http://www.thegranddelmar.com/?gclid=CJPd0IWFk6kCFSRe7AodAns8tA

Well... so much for being adventurous, we caved and booked back at the Del. We're super excited. Last time it was a little cool to go in the water, is it usually warm enough to go to the beach in late October?

Well... so much for being adventurous, we caved and booked back at the Del. We're super excited. Last time it was a little cool to go in the water, is it usually warm enough to go to the beach in late October?

Since you're coming from Canada, maybe. I'm a wimpy local so it's not even really warm enough for me in the dead of August!!! "Warm enough" is all relative to where you're from :)

Since you're coming from Canada, maybe. I'm a wimpy local so it's not even really warm enough for me in the dead of August!!! "Warm enough" is all relative to where you're from :)

True... we're inclined to think anything over 21C (72F) is beach weather. Although I remember swimming in Santa Monica in July and thinking the water was cold, so maybe we'll just walk on the beach and watch the jets.

Since I'm from here, no... it's freezing in October. But again, that' relative. :goodvibes

For future reference, when you're going to lego land, I really, really like this:
http://www.sheratoncarlsbad.com/

We stay there even as locals because they have their own enterance to Legoland and it's just super convient and the rooms are really nice and they have patios, too!

We're back from our stay at Paradise Point :goodvibes

We stayed on room 217, it was an upgraded room with private patio (which I think all rooms have) & had a peak view of the ocean. We just had to walk 50 steps to get our toes in the sand.

The room was nice, clean, had a king size with a sofa that converts into a double bed.

The beach is the best part. Water temperature was pleasant & the beach was super clean, nice soft sand, no waves (we purposely wanted a relaxing beach like this), very private, even on Saturday & Sunday it was not crowded.

The grounds are extensive, be ready to walk. The main pool has sand & the kids played with it too.

You can rent boats, sail boats, bikes & jet skis. There is a water taxi that takes you round trip to Sea World (it's extra $ but worth it if you don't want to drive).

The one complain we had was the restaurants. One is fine dining (didn't try it) & then the main one is Barefoot restaurant, slow service, not a lot of choices. Breakfast was good but dinner just average. We had our car so we went out for lunch & dinner.

Overall enjoy it & will go back. Hope this helps :goodvibes

Thanks so much. Sounds like you had a good trip. Most likely we will be eatting out most of the days anyway. As of right now that is where we are going to stay. Next June. I have plenty of time to change my mind. We are going to be busy. We have 5 night but are doing Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Safari Park and then not sure the other days. The day we get there it is going to late going to Knotts early in the day and then the drive.

Thanks so much. Sounds like you had a good trip. Most likely we will be eatting out most of the days anyway. As of right now that is where we are going to stay. Next June. I have plenty of time to change my mind. We are going to be busy. We have 5 night but are doing Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Safari Park and then not sure the other days. The day we get there it is going to late going to Knotts early in the day and then the drive.

Since you will have a car, I would recommend these 2 places:

Blue Water grill (seafood) great food, good prices

Extraordinary Desserts, if you have a sweet tooth.

They are 10 minutes from the hotel, 2 minutes from each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter