Where to stay???

SCRAPBOOKQUEEN

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

I am trying to plan a trip with my DD. Hawaii is overwhelming and I'm having a hard time. So, I would live to go to Aulani but not sure that I could afford the entire time so what other nice/beach hotel would you recommend. I'd like to be on the beach but if I had to be across the street I'd be okay with that too. I thought about a cruise since most all is included, but then stay a few days either before or after. If you had to pick a couple of islands to visit what would you do? also, are there any all inclusive resorts in Hawaii? Since it's just the two of us safety is a concern too. Thanks for any info.

Hi All,

I am trying to plan a trip with my DD. Hawaii is overwhelming and I'm having a hard time. So, I would live to go to Aulani but not sure that I could afford the entire time so what other nice/beach hotel would you recommend. I'd like to be on the beach but if I had to be across the street I'd be okay with that too. I thought about a cruise since most all is included, but then stay a few days either before or after. If you had to pick a couple of islands to visit what would you do? also, are there any all inclusive resorts in Hawaii? Since it's just the two of us safety is a concern too. Thanks for any info.

Here is the methodology I suggest. The stay in order because it will streamline the process.

1. Grab a Frommers book for all of Hawaii. This was my bible before I moved here and I actually planned 3 separate trips JUST with this book. Also, do not be afraid to use a pencil to write in it. My book had a lot of notes in the margins because I was learning new things and getting tips that I wanted to remember.

2. Read the book's breakdown of each island, what they have to offer, and what attracts you. Some islands may offer things you didn't know about.

3. Use the activity section listings in the book to get a good idea on what activities you want to do on the respective island(s). It may affect where you decide to stay.

4. When you decided what island(s) you want to visit and what you want to do, start looking at the hotel breakdowns. It will have prices, amenities, ratings, and locations. Pick something in line with how you plan to vacation. Out of curiousity, I timed how much time I spent on hotel property (including sleep) the last time I went to Maui, and I was averaging 10 hours. Because of that, I don't need a hotel with tons of amenities because I will not be there to use most of them. Some people like spending long periods of time on property, so a resort or large facility is a better choice.

5. You have hundreds of helpful friends on Tripadvisor! It's the only website I use for ratings and reviews because they have never led me astray. Crosscheck things like hotels and companies you're looking at. Post questions. That's what they're there for!

On Oahu, besides Aulani, we really enjoyed Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's like a small city onto itself with lots to do - long wide stretch of beach, many pools/slides, lagoon you can paddle boat on, penguins, fireworks on Fridays, for fee kids' club, and even a Starbucks onsite (if that sort of thing is important to you :)).

I like all the islands for different reasons.

- Maui has the other worldly landscape of Haleakala Crater and the road to Hana.
- Kauai is the most lush with waterfalls you can see just driving by the side of the road. The beaches seem most affected by seasons though. We went in winter and the North Shore beaches weren't swimmable.
- The Big Island has the volcano and the snorkeling was great at Kealakekua Bay (the calmest snorkeling I have ever done - like a bathtub). We also did a nighttime snorkeling tour to see manta rays - awesome and unique, but maybe too adventuresome for kids. I think it's the most different of all the islands, driving out from the airport, all you will see next to the road is barren lava rocks, but near the volcano it is very lush. We have an upcoming trip to the HGVC Kings' Land in the Hilton Waikoloa Village complex. It looks like a great place with lots for kids to do.

The Oahu/Maui/Kauai/Big Island Revealed books are great - lots of details and pictures.

Have fun planning! :)

On Oahu, besides Aulani, we really enjoyed Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's like a small city onto itself with lots to do - long wide stretch of beach, many pools/slides, lagoon you can paddle boat on, penguins, fireworks on Fridays, for fee kids' club, and even a Starbucks onsite (if that sort of thing is important to you :)).

Oooh, that's what I keep hearing every Friday night! lol I always wondered where they were coming from, but never bothered to ask.

We stayed at the Ramada Plaza Waikiki. I am a (corporate) travel agent and have always heard great things about the property from agents who do personal travel, so nervously, we gave it a try. It is across the street from the HHV. We saw the fireworks from our room and the lagoon is actually public property, not HHV property, so we were able to swim there. We saved almost $200 a night by staying at the Ramada and it was REALLY nice and even better considering the rate we paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter